A Richard for All Seasons - Richard III wins the Battle of Bosworth Field

I: The Battle of Bosworth Field
A Richard for All Seasons

whiterose.jpg

The Battle of Bosworth Field

August 22, 1485

“Your Majesty!” shouted the red-faced messenger, riding up at a gallop. He was little more than a boy, and stuttered nervously as he addressed his king in front of all these important men. “L-lord Thomas Stanley has given his r-reply, Sire.”

“Ah!” cried Richard III, King of England and of France and Lord of Ireland from atop his horse. “Now we shall have Stanley at the enemy’s rear, now that he knows his son is at stake.” There was a pause and the sounds of the Lancastrians marching toward them in the field below was clear and growing louder each second.

“S-sire, Lord Stanley says that he has--he has other sons, Sire.” There was a ripple of murmuring among the men and Richard’s face was turning a dangerous purple. Some men had to hide their chuckles at this wit, but Viscount Francis Lovell [1] nudged his horse forward to grab the king’s elbow, giving the grateful messenger an opportunity to melt into the surrounding men.

“Sire, please, do not waste your time with Stanley just yet. He may still withdraw, or even support you. Well, so long as you do not execute his son.” Loud booms punctuated his words as cannons not more than three hundred yards away challenged Henry Tudor’s claim to the throne. Gaps appeared in the line of Henry’s men in the field below as the cannonballs found their mark. The screaming began and continued as the archers of both sides came within range and began to fire volleys.

“Very well,” said Richard, shaking his head but still chewing on his lower lip in anger. “I shall deal with Lord Strange [2] later.” He looked up and about, down to the field below, and was visited by a sudden idea [3]. "Henry," he said, addressing Henry Percy, 4th Earl of Northumberland. "Henry, our foot is protected here by the marsh to the south, Oxford [4] would not risk his few men attacking you through there. Lend me your footmen and proceed with your horse to Norfolk's right. Don't be too quick about it, we don't want you to be seen until you're needed."

mESt4zq.png
Map of the field of battle. Interestingly, while distance is measured in meters, the elevation is measured in feet

"At once, Sire," said Henry Percy, turning his horse and riding to his main force some five hundred yards away, his horsemen following.

"A very shrewd move Sire, the ridge should prevent his being seen. He will be a nasty surprise for the Welshman!" said young John de la Pole [5]. A flurry of activity greeted these words as Henry's men grew close enough for Richard's captains and lieutenants to sound the advance. Watching the battle develop, Richard saw that Henry Tudor's general Oxford had formed his men into a wedge. This left a good amount of Richard's men standing exposed to Henry's horse but not doing any useful fighting.

With dismay Richard saw Norfolk's men begin to flee at the strength of the pointed charge of Oxford's foot. Shouting for De la Pole to take command of Northumberland's foot, Richard moved with his own men to buffer Norfolk's battle and check Oxford's advance. He succeeded and the two forces became bogged down in heavy fighting, with Henry Tudor's horse darting here and there causing chaos at the fringes.

Richard and his horsemen crashed into Oxford's forces with vigor, fighting among the infantry in a wild melee. For his smaller stature and uneven shoulders, Richard was a brave and wild warrior. His sword arm rose and fell with every beat of the heart which pounded blood into his ears. The monstrous clashing and clanging of arms and screams of wounded men and horses were all he could hear, it seemed as though a red mist descended over his eyes, as everything he could see was red with blood and rage. In a moment of relative calm he chanced a quick glance downfield and sent a quick prayer to God upon seeing that Lord Stanley had not yet moved. Then it was back to hacking at Henry Tudor's French mercenaries, the core of his forces.

6itXTDN.png
A map of the mid-battle situation. Oxford is heavily fighting forces led by Norfolk, King Richard, and De la Pole. Percy waits concealed behind the Yorkist line and Stanley waits south of the field

Due to the presence of Northumberland's infantry, the Yorkists slowly and steadily gained the upper hand, until some of Oxford's men on Richard's left began to flee into the marsh, with nowhere else to go. In a desperate move to gain the upper hand and hoping that Stanley would interfere in his favor, Henry Tudor took his meager cavalry to charge into the already weaker men of Norfolk's who had already began to turn earlier in the battle. They might have turned again, except that Henry Percy was waiting, his men hunched low on their horses and trying not to be seen. Seeing the enemy horse so close, he knew that it had to be time to intervene, and he charged down aside Norfolk's wavering men, stopping any potential retreat and engaging the devastated Henry Tudor.

Henry, inexperienced at battles or combat, turned and fled with his guard. The rest of his horsemen, exhausted after spending a battle flitting about the field, were massacred by the fresh, eager men led by Henry Percy. Having killed or driven off the rest of Tudor's horse, Percy's cavalry cut into Oxford's foot and caused a general retreat, while Percy himself and some others drove hard after Henry Tudor, desperate to capture or kill the man. Tudor rode into the midst of his fleeing men, who were regrouping by Stanley.

cO3e60x.png
A map of the late battle, with Oxford's greatly diminished forces full flight and Henry Tudor not leading a map-worthy force of his own

What will he even do? The battle is near over, he must join us now, thought Percy. This thought was proven true a moment later, when Stanley's very fresh men began to dart and charge forward, picking off Lancastrian survivors. So now Stanley is with us. Percy kept his eyes on Henry Tudor, unwilling to lose the man who had been the cause of all this bloodshed, when he saw his horse taken down by some of Stanley's men. Making his way hard for that spot he leapt to the ground and knelt by the still body, killed by the fall. He looked up and saw Jasper Tudor, Henry's uncle, run through with a lance by one of Percy's own men. Thank God, it is over. How can there be anybody left to contest Richard?

- - - - - - - - - -​

Hours later the field still remained almost unrecognizable to how it had looked that morning. While the English and Welsh bodies had been removed by King Richard's orders, the French mercenaries still lay, rotting naked or in rags under the late afternoon sun, and the wild, sweet smelling grasses of the field remained sticky with blood and guts.

John Howard, Duke of Norfolk, was no more, killed in battle in front of his own son Thomas. Thomas, almost inconsolable, was honored above all others for his father's sacrifice and their brave holding of the line that had suffered most during the battle. Richard made him Duke of Norfolk on the spot, there was no question about that succession.

Lord Thomas Stanley and his brother William treated with Richard that afternoon, expecting rewards for joining the Yorkist side, but were instead seized and immediately beheaded as opportunistic traitors. Never again would a lord dare to await the final verdict or some opportune moment before choosing a side. Stanley's son Lord Strange was hanged, and men were sent to arrest his brothers and cousins. Those large estates would become crown possessions shortly.

Margaret Beaufort, who had followed her son into England, was locked screaming and mourning into the nearest convent, a guard assigned to her 24/7. Though Henry Tudor was her only son, her machinations would disturb the peace of the realm no more.

For Richard, it was the end to a chapter of his life. Since as long as he could remember his family had been involved in civil wars and plots, intrigues and assassination attempts, spiteful feelings and bitter exiles. No more. Now it was his duty to force England onto a peaceful, productive path.

[1] One of King Richard III's best friends
[2] George Stanley, 9th Baron Strange, son of Lord Thomas Stanley; Richard III already held him in captivity before the battle
[3] The PoD
[4] John de Vere, Earl of Oxford; one of Henry Tudor's main generals
[5] Richard III's sister Elizabeth's son, thought by some to be heir apparent to the throne, Richard was unclear on the matter

Well howdy there everybody. This is the first TL in what is hopefully going to be a long and fruitful line. Thankfully I am NOT doing this alone! This is all in fact the idea of my good friend @BlueFlowwer. You can thank her for almost all of the ideas and events in this TL, while I can be thanked for the writing. She keeps me on the right track however, with her knowledge. Due to the two of us, you'll see great things :D

We hope you enjoyed, leave a comment or at least like to show your appreciation or any ideas you might have :)

Kaze

Banned
Great start. But what happens next. Anne is dead. His legitimate son is dead. His illegitimate son is a nobody. Richard has to marry someone - who will he marry?

Wouldn't Richard summarily executing the Stanleys and then ordering their families arrested potentially freak out the rest of the nobility?

Isn't Elizabeth his niece and at the time considered a bastard?

At some point he'd also been pressured (by the likes of Catesby and Ratcliffe?) into putting out a proclamation that he would not marry Elizabeth IIRC. Though with his reign relatively secure (impostors claiming to be one of the Princes in the Tower could show up eventually) he could probably renege on that.

I know he had plans to wed Joanna of Portugal as part of a double marital alliance. Richard would marry Joanna, and Elizabeth of York would marry the future Manuel I.

Joanna's pretty 'old' though- 33ish. With things looking up for Richard would he look for someone better (I.e. younger)?

Wouldn't Richard summarily executing the Stanleys and then ordering their families arrested potentially freak out the rest of the nobility?

At some point he'd also been pressured (by the likes of Catesby and Ratcliffe?) into putting out a proclamation that he would not marry Elizabeth IIRC. Though with his reign relatively secure (impostors claiming to be one of the Princes in the Tower could show up eventually) he could probably renege on that.

Joanna's pretty 'old' though- 33ish. With things looking up for Richard would he look for someone better (I.e. younger)?

Iirc Elizabeth and Richard actually liked one another at court, and we have an estimation of her birthing capabilities from OTL, so she’s of good stock.

Iirc Elizabeth and Richard actually liked one another at court, and we have an estimation of her birthing capabilities from OTL, so she’s of good stock.

Two strikes against Elizabeth - one, she is his niece; O know the Habsburgs did creepy things like that, but ...Two, by the act that enabled Richard to take the throne, she is a bastard. Is there a German or Scandinavian princess available?

This looks really interesting, I can't wait to see how a Yorkist England plays out. What direction he ends up taking with his marriage will be interesting as well as the effects of a different set of nobles holding power.

My grand design! Behold you mortals at my magnificence and @Philippe le Bel that we have been plotting since very long ago.
To answer any potential questions that has arisen about this TL, I can grant a few answers:

-Elizabeth of York will NOT become queen of England, I am a very firm anti-shipper of Richard III and that dull milkblooded mary sue of a princess. I have a specific bride in mind for Richard III as well as a princess for Richard IV of England. Anyone who can guess who get's a virtual lollipop from me!

-Richard III will have children with his second wife, the Richardian Age will last until 1600 on the dot. And then cue Civil Wars. If the Plantaganets are going down they are going down in a firey explosion.

-The Italian Wars will be delayed for a while, due to complixations in the french sucession and it's kings, particulary Charles VIII and Louis XII. A different fate for Anne of Brittany as well.

-A non Hapsburgs Spain, the spanish history goes different.

Things that will die in a fire in this TL are the following: Rome, Paris, Charles Brandon (duke of Suffolk otl), Anne Boleyn's inpact on history, anything Tudor related that I don't like, England from 1600 to 1640, Henry VII and VIII of England and the entire House of Percy.

We will keep this thread updated as much as we regulary can and we will try to write the entire damn thing to the end!

Last edited:
Well perhaps not the correct term, but I really don't find her interesting and in every adaptation and portrail of her she just seems so sweet and lovable I'm gagging at it. Bleh.

Congratulations on a most interesting topic. Looking forward to more!

As Richard said, no more waffling around - You must choose a side and back it or face the consequences. His execution of the Stanley's and the arrest of their families plus seizing their estates gets that point through far better than any proclamation.

Thank you all for your kind comments :)

@Kaze *whom* :p:p

Two strikes against Elizabeth - one, she is his niece; O know the Habsburgs did creepy things like that, but ...Two, by the act that enabled Richard to take the throne, she is a bastard. Is there a German or Scandinavian princess available?
Does a German or Scandinavian alliance help Richard, though? A Habsburg marriage might help, but then Richard's sister Margaret is already step-grandmother to Duke Philip of Burgundy. HRE Frederick and his son (Philip's father) Maximilian trusted her a great deal in OTL with the government of Burgundy, so the good feeling is strong there. But what other allies are there on the continent? Or maybe even on the isles? :p

This looks really interesting, I can't wait to see how a Yorkist England plays out. What direction he ends up taking with his marriage will be interesting as well as the effects of a different set of nobles holding power.
Important thoughts. Henry VII and VIII tended to always promote lowborn but eminently capable men whose livelihood depended entirely on the crown. They also weeded out, over the generations, all the Plantagenets, anyone in England who had a claim on the throne in any way, since the Henrys' claim was so weak (right by conquest). The House of York/Plantagenet, with its older and loftier origins, is more secure, and also has an old tradition of appointing the nobility and family members to important offices, instead of commoners. Even when Henry IV BTFO'd Richard II, basically nobody else from the wider family, which included third and fourth cousins by that point, was harmed.