A Queen Twice Over: Mary Tudor the Elder Marries Francis I of France

Yet another way to stick a finger in Charles' eye!

And also has the benefit of keeping the @#$% bloody Inquisition out of there!
It does! It be even greater if Henry and Francis actually went there themselves! An English and French man Vs the Incas!

It does! It be even greater if Henry and Francis actually went there themselves! An English and French man Vs the Incas!
My main hope would be that the Incas are treated better by the English/French Expedition than they were OTL.

Of course, the Smallpox is probably still going to happen though...

My main hope would be that the Incas are treated better by the English/French Expedition than they were OTL.
They probably would be since part of the harsh treatment to the Incas was due to religion. The French and English aren't as fanatic as the Spaniards.
Of course, the Smallpox is probably still going to happen though...
Unfortunately nobody at the time could stop the age old European weapon of smallpox :(

They probably would be since part of the harsh treatment to the Incas was due to religion. The French and English aren't as fanatic as the Spaniards.

Unfortunately nobody at the time could stop the age old European weapon of smallpox :(
I don't think Henry and Francis would be able to go there personally. But, they could fund a joint venture to send ships there...

St Germain-de-Laye, May 1514

They don’t make the most prepossessing of couples as they emerge from the chapel door, blinking in the bright May sunlight.

Oh, the groom is striking enough. His complexion might be a little swarthier than is held to be ideal, his nose a little too hooked, but his height, shapely turned calf and the lithe controlled energy he carries himself with, more than make up for that.

The young woman on his arm, however, only suffers by comparison. She might be glittering in silver damask embroidered with dark blue fleur-de-lys, and wearing a headdress encrusted with tiny chips of sapphire, but not even the richest fabrics in Christendom can hide her short stature, her weak chin, or her hunched, twisted shoulders. The young Duchess of Brittany and Valois is not, nor has ever been, the kind of girl chroniclers fete for their beauty.

But then, she doesn’t have to be. Claude of France’s lack of looks don’t matter. Not when she is the greatest heiress of her generation and brings her husband all of Brittany as her dowry.

Brittany, after all, is the reason her father, King Louis XII of France has arranged this match in the first place. If the only thing recommending Claude were her royal blood, she’d have been married off abroad, the way her younger sister Renee, still a child in the nursery, will be one day. But Brittany is too grand a prize to let slip through one’s fingers. As such, the young man at Claude’s side, handing her into the litter and brushing her cheek lightly with his lips as he does so, is her father’s cousin and heir, Francis, Duke of Valois.

In Salic Law-governed France, it is he who will sit the throne after Louis. Claude will be little more than a vessel for him, a trophy at his side. As his Queen, she will lend his rule legitimacy in the dynastic sense; acting as the living, breathing link between the old dynasty and the new. God willing, she will also give him a son: a son to rule both France and Brittany, thereby completing her father’s long-held dream of merging her mother’s independent Duchy with the French Crown.

Claude settles herself back into her cushioned litter, only years of royal training stopping her from groaning in relief as the padded fabric behind her soothes her aching back.

Beside her, Francis spins on his heel as something moves in the corner of his vision. Sportsman’s training coming to the fore, he snatches the sprig of heather from the air and raises it to his lips, before tucking it into the brim of his feathered hat and blowing a kiss to the fair-haired girl who threw it.

The crowd goes wild, cheering all the louder as Francis mounts his horse, preparing to lead the Court in his and Claude’s wedding procession.

Even as they shout acclaim, however, the experienced matrons in the crowd are eyeing Claude’s waist, hoping and praying it won’t be long before their young Duchess grows stout with child.

They don’t say anything. They don’t need to. Claude is a woman too. Some things transcend the social strata, no matter how wide the gulf in rank. Closing her eyes for a brief moment, Claude adds her prayers to theirs.

Sweet Jesus, let me quicken soon. In your Mercy, only let me quicken.”

**** **** ****​
Fortunately, Claude’s prayers – and those of most of France – are answered in what is, relatively speaking, the blink of an eye. Francis’s seed must catch on their very wedding night, for she swells with child within weeks, prompting her young husband to show her off at every opportunity, crowing with pride at this all-too-obvious sign of his virility. [1]

“A boy for France!” he tells anyone who will listen, over and over again, “You see, my wife and I know our duty. We’ll have a boy for France before the year is out!”

In the cloistered, sycophantic environment that is their country home, whence they have retreated – Francis for the hunting, Claude to escape the blistering suffocation that is Paris in the summer heat – no one thinks to point out that, as there are only five months left in the year, that is actually impossible. Their household simply fall over themselves to assure Francis that his coming child will be the lustiest boy France and Brittany have ever seen.

And then the news comes. Claude’s father has made peace with the young King across the Channel, Henry VIII of England. He has pledged himself to marry Henry’s teenage sister, the Lady Mary.

The Duc de Longueville has embarked for England to stand in King Louis’s place at a proxy wedding and Francis and Claude are being called to Court to head the new Queen’s welcoming party.

[1] This is the first, minor POD. Judging by the birth date of her first child, Claude didn't fall pregnant until about late November 1514 OTL. Here, she is sufficiently far along as to be showing by the time her father's new bride arrives in October. The other, more major POD, for which this thread is named, will follow in a couple of chapters' time.

Good read.

One point though, it's another Claude that is hunchback and clubfooted, who is this Claude's granddaughter.

Good read.

One point though, it's another Claude that is hunchback and clubfooted, who is this Claude's granddaughter.
I've definitely read that Claude of Brittany had a hunched back, though you might be right about the club foot.

Glad you enjoyed the first chapter!

So I'm finally caught up, and it's very fascinating to see how things are going.. Hopefully the French-Portugese match works out.. As for them (Henry and Francis) conquering the Inca, I'm not sure if it would work logistically speaking, and I doubt that the French and English would treat them much better, they were regarded as pagans after all.. Still, it would be interesting if the French colonized elsewhere, perhaps near the Florida area to screw over the Spanish..

So I'm finally caught up, and it's very fascinating to see how things are going.. Hopefully the French-Portugese match works out.. As for them (Henry and Francis) conquering the Inca, I'm not sure if it would work logistically speaking, and I doubt that the French and English would treat them much better, they were regarded as pagans after all.. Still, it would be interesting if the French colonized elsewhere, perhaps near the Florida area to screw over the Spanish..
I'm not sure we'll manage to have any colonial ventures more than mentioned in the story. The Americas are not my forte. But I'm determined to have an Anglo-French-Portuguese coalition ITTL. Glad you're enjoying things. I'll put the next chapter out for my birthday on Wednesday. :)

Section XLI - July 1522
Amboise, July 1522

The baby snuffles against Marie’s breast, nestling contentedly. She can’t help but giggle as his light breaths tickle her bare skin like feathers. She cups the back of his head, running her fingers gently over the dark down covering the delicate scalp.

“He’s beautiful,” she murmurs, thrilling inwardly as her hours-old son kicks sleepily and she can feel the strength beneath his swaddling. Even half-asleep, he has quite the set of legs on him.

“You see, mamours?” Francis chuckles, “I told you it would all be fine. Our son is strong.”

“He’s a warrior, like his father and his uncle,” Marie beams at her husband and Francis returns her grin.

“Indeed he is. So why don’t we name him for a warrior?”

“Guillaume? For the Conqueror? Or Richard, for the Lionheart?” Marie wrinkles her nose. Those are both lovely names, but despite herself, she can’t seem to make them fit her new-born son. They just don’t seem right for him.

Francis laughs, “Oh, you are an Englishwoman at heart, aren’t you? You may say you’re not, but eight years a French Queen and yet your mind still jumps first to the English heroes. No. I was thinking of the warrior who helped my ancestor run the Plantagenets out of France. The Maid of Orleans.”

“Jeanne d’Arc,” Marie breathes, rolling the name around in her mouth, testing it out, “Jeanne. Jean. Jean Valois.”

Pausing, she gives her husband a decided nod, “I like it.”

“Jean, Count of Angouleme,” Francis smiles and reaches out to place his hand on top of hers where she is cradling their son’s head.

“We’ll make little Annabelle his godmother, shall we? Annabelle for godmother and Ferrara for godfather. Let’s try and heal the breach that Margot’s new betrothal has caused.”

Marie flinches slightly at that, before Francis’s tone tells her that he is more amused than upset by the Duke of Ferrara’s furious reaction to being told that the glittering match he thought he had secured for his son was no longer on the cards. When she looks up at her husband, his dark eyes are sparkling, reassuring her that he doesn’t regret betrothing Margot to the young King of Portugal. Not a whit.

She huffs lightly at her own foolishness – she does so hate how fickle her emotions are while she’s lying-in – and nods.

“And perhaps Cardinal Lorraine too? After all, he is doing us such sterling service in Rome. We ought to reward him somehow.”

Francis nods, “As you say, ma cherie. Lorraine it shall be. Speaking of rewards, moreover, I have plans to make Fran Governor of Normandy now that things have settled sufficiently to allow me to consider such things. After all, the man who captured the Emperor must have a post where his skills can be put to good use. What do you say to that?”

“I think it’s a wonderful idea,” Marie beams, “Quite apart from anything else, it’ll keep Annie close to Renee when she and François set up their marital home in Nantes. The girls will be thrilled.”

To show how much she appreciates the thought, she leans up, ignoring the pull of her protesting muscles, and pecks her husband on the cheek, “Now go and fetch the children to meet their new brother before this little one decides he’s no longer in the mood for visitors. I should like us to feel like a family, even if only for five minutes.”

Grumbling good-naturedly about how childbirth makes women demanding, Francis heaves himself off the four-poster and does as he’s told. Marie watches him go, eyes warm with affection. She does so enjoy when she and Francis are on the same page.

Windsor, July 1522
No!” Mary wrenches away from Henry’s desperate hold, grey eyes blazing, “I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again! I won’t become your mistress!”

“Mary, sweetheart, please. I don’t think you understand. Maitresse-en-titre isn’t just an empty title. It’s a position of honour, a clear sign that you hold a place in my heart that no other woman does. Why, when I was in France…”

“We are not in France!” Mary throws the words in Henry’s face, snarling.

Astonished that she should speak so boldly to him, Henry actually rears backwards, and a vicious satisfaction goes through her at the sight of his stricken face. She draws herself up as tall as she can and hisses, “Have you forgotten who I am? I am a Talbot of Shrewsbury, not some light-o-love to be quickly bedded and just as quickly forgotten. If Your Grace doesn’t think highly enough of me to make me your wife, that’s your prerogative. But by God Above, I won’t be your mistress! I have my pride!”

She glares at him sourly and then turns on her heel. Henry will follow her, she is confident of that. He might play the part of the boastful, virile King, but underneath all the jovial bluster is an insecure little boy crying out for affection.

Still, it can do no harm to make sure of him, so as she turns away, she mutters under her breath, “Perhaps I should return to Shrewsbury. At least I am respected as the flower of my family there.”

She pauses, waiting for her words to sink in, and then begins to walk away, measuring her steps so that she is easy to catch, even as she appears to be retreating.

She gets all of six paces before the King catches her by the arm, “No, darling, please don’t,” He pleads, “I’m sorry. I should never have sought to demean you like that. It was beneath me as a knight.”

“It was. And it hurt me, Henry. I’m a true maid, you know that. I’ll not yield my maidenhead before I’m wed. Especially not after what happened to my great-great-great aunt. You know people still talk about that story. “

“I know. I know. And we’ll make it right, sweetheart. I promise. As soon as the annulment comes from Rome, we’ll make it right.”

Henry tugs gently on Mary’s arm and she lets herself yield to him, melting into his arms as any besotted young woman might do. She feels him relax as she softens and smirks. Silly, besotted fool. Can’t he see she’s playing him like a fiddle?

“In the meantime, what can I do to make this awful slight up to you?” he murmurs into her hair.

“Let my brother wed Lady Margaret,” she says instantly and Henry starts.

“Meg? But she’s just a child!”

“She won’t be a child forever. And my brother deserves better than a baron’s daughter, doesn’t he? He’s going to be as good as royalty, he can do better than a baron’s daughter.”

She keeps her voice stiff, hovering on the edge of coolness, and Henry melts immediately. He cannot bear her to be displeased with him.

“Of course he does. Of course he does. You’re right, sweetheart, as always.”

“And you’ll forget the plans you had to ennoble Master Fitzroy.”

When Henry shifts to protest, she pulls against his hold, “If I’m to be your Queen, then I won’t have your natural son in any position to challenge our heir. It’s already bad enough he’s going to be at least four years older. I won’t have you giving him a peerage as well.”

Henry hesitates, and for a moment, Mary thinks she might have pushed too far, too fast. But then he slumps, and she knows that she has won.

“As you say, my darling.”

“Good. Now, let’s forget this unpleasantness ever happened, shall we?”

Mary reaches up and guides Henry’s mouth to her own. She lets him rest his hand on her breast, caressing the skin with his smooth fingers. She can afford to be generous, after all. He’s just declared, almost irrefutably, that she will be Queen the moment the papers declaring him a free man arrive from Rome. She can afford to be generous.

York Place, July 1522
George Cavendish sees the scarlet flags of his master’s entourage half a mile away.

Heart in his mouth, he scrambles down to the courtyard of York Place to meet him. Has his master succeeded? Does he have what the King has asked for?

No one at York Place wants to admit it, but if, God forbid, the Cardinal has failed in his endeavours, then his place in the King’s good graces will be so shaken that he may well never regain it. After all, everyone knows His Grace is besotted with Lady Mary Talbot; that he is champing at the bit to set the Queen aside and marry her.

Heaven help England if that happens, for the object of the King’s affections is a poisonous woman, constantly ill-tempered and dissatisfied.

But heaven help Thomas Wolsey if it does not.

Pausing by the mounting block, George bows deeply to his master. Their eyes meet briefly as he straightens and an unspoken question passes between them.

In answer, the Cardinal gives a discreet nod and taps the satchel he carries.

Relief floods through George. His master has succeeded. The King is a free man.

Last edited:
Yay another healthy baby for Marie!!! Mistress Talbot plays a clever game, but Catherine will be absolutely livid to hear that he remarries to someone that's a mere local noble, and that he's willing to do things for her that he wouldn't for his first wife.. Excellent chapter!

Last edited:
Francis laughs, “Oh, you are an Englishwoman at heart, aren’t you? You may say you’re not, but fourteen years a French Queen and yet your mind still jumps first to the English heroes. No. I was thinking of the warrior who helped my ancestor run the Plantagenets out of France. The Maid of Orleans.”

“Jeanne d’Arc,” Marie breathes, rolling the name around in her mouth, testing it out, “Jeanne. Jean. Jean Valois.”

Pausing, she gives her husband a decided nod, “I like it.”

“Jean, Count of Angouleme,” Francis smiles and reaches out to place his hand on top of hers where she is cradling their son’s head.

Well, I think that a Valois named Richard or William (though I doubt Mary would think about Lionheart, the most recent Richard she heard about was Richard III and he was certainly NOT liked by her) would be a cool addition to all that Charleses, Louises, etc. being around, maybe if they had next son, Francis could name him after one of Plantagenets?
And John/Jean could be interpreted as Plantagenet name as well - John of Bedford and John, duke of Somerset both come to mind.

Also - good chapter and happy birthday to you!

Yay another healthy baby for Marie!!! Mistress Talbot plays a clever game, but Catherine will be absolutely livid to hear that he remarries to someone that's a mere local noble, and that he's willing to do things for her that he wouldn't for his first wife.. Excellent chapter!
Well, as someone else once said, besotted Henry is the worst Henry. I'm playing up to that here...

Yay! Mary has a new son that lives! Also why do I have the feeling Mary Talbot will be what causes Henry and Francis to fall out

She does indeed - the Succession has never been more secure!

Mistress Talbot reminds me of a certain biblical phrase: pride goeth before a fall.

Amazing chapter, as always! :)
Unfortunately the fall is quite some way off yet...

Thank you!

Well, I think that a Valois named Richard or William (though I doubt Mary would think about Lionheart, the most recent Richard she heard about was Richard III and he was certainly NOT liked by her) would be a cool addition to all that Charleses, Louises, etc. being around, maybe if they had next son, Francis could name him after one of Plantagenets?
And John/Jean could be interpreted as Plantagenet name as well - John of Bedford and John, duke of Somerset both come to mind.

Also - good chapter and happy birthday to you!
I see what you mean, but I was going for the fact that her brother has always wanted to conquerthe old Plantagenet Empire and was pious. He would have sought to emulate Richard I, I should think, and Marie would only have echoed her beloved older brother.

But yes, Plantagenet namesakes are on the way, I promise.

And thank you for the birthday wishes!