A Queen Twice Over: Mary Tudor the Elder Marries Francis I of France

Main thing for me is that I hope Catherine's daughter, Mary, doesn't have to go through the hell she endured in otl...
I don’t think she will. With Pope clement not in Charles’s pocket and François and Marie supporting an annulment, there’s a good chance that Mary’s parents’ marriage is resolved without making her illegitimate.

Main thing for me is that I hope Catherine's daughter, Mary, doesn't have to go through the hell she endured in otl...
I don’t think she will. With Pope clement not in Charles’s pocket and François and Marie supporting an annulment, there’s a good chance that Mary’s parents’ marriage is resolved without making her illegitimate.
Mary is definitely staying legitimate, and I promise she gets a respectable marriage ITTL.

Poor Catherine and Charles... Oh well, I suppose there is a chance that she'll still be a bit happier than IOTL.. Great chapter!
As I said upthread, the jury is still out on Katherine's eventual fate...

Fabulous, fabulous update, as always!

Very interesting to see Charles get a taste of his OTL medicine - poor Marguerite, though!

Poor poor Katherine. Talk about getting kicked when you're already down (you wrote that scene beautifully btw).

Very interesting to see Charles get a taste of his OTL medicine - poor Marguerite, though!

Poor poor Katherine. Talk about getting kicked when you're already down (you wrote that scene beautifully btw).
Thank you! And thank you again for putting up with my ramblings...

Chapters are coming soon, I've just been a little obsessed with Teen Wolf AU this week...

Is that the one where America is founded by Werewolves escaping persecution in Europe?
No, it's a teen drama show about a boy who gets turned into a werewolf and has to fight all these evil creatures with his friends as his pack (who also turn out to have all sorts of supernatural abilities...) It's good! Creepy, but good!

Francis in OTL was worse than Charles, as he forced a lot Charles‘ hand (and he was the one to give at least to Eleanor, if not to Charles the idea of a wedding between them)

Section XXXVII - January 1522
Rouen, January 1522
There are many more weeks of bluster and posturing, but eventually, the Treaty of Rouen is hammered out into a shape that, while not exactly universally satisfactory, is at least a workable compromise.

Charles begrudgingly agrees to pay Henry and Francis 60,000 marks each and wed Marguerite in exchange for his freedom. The total ransom of 120,000 marks is surprisingly small, given how rich and powerful the Holy Roman Emperor is, but it is more than clear that, in exchange for this show of mercy, he will be expected to take Marguerite as his wife without a dowry. Charles also has to surrender any pretentions he might have of reconquering Milan for the Sforzas.

Francis annexes the counties of Hainault and Artois to France, but also agrees to stop supporting Henri of Navarre and accept Spanish sovereignty over the tiny kingdom.

Henry takes a strip of Burgundian land along the coast, extending the Pale of Calais as far as Bruges, as well as winning his daughter the title of Duchess of Milan and Orleans, by virtue of her betrothal to her younger cousin Henri. Crucially for the English wool trade, he also wins his merchants free trade in both France and the Empire.

There are those who wonder at Henry’s willingness to return Antwerp and Rotterdam to Charles’s hands, particularly the latter, which was won purely by the blood, sweat and toil of Englishmen. But then, they don’t know about the secret agreement he has struck with Francis behind Charles’s back.

“Send Wolsey to us as soon as you’ve given him his instructions,” Marie whispers, as she embraces Henry at his lavish farewell banquet shortly after Christmas, “We’ll give him gold and tokens aplenty to ease his way in Rome. And we’ll send Cardinal Lorraine with him. “The Pope won’t be able to resist two cardinals pleading your cause.”

“From your mouth to God’s ear, sweet sister,” Henry replies, returning her embrace.

A moment later, he freezes.

“Mary?” His hands tighten on her waist and she hisses in surprise.

“How did you-? I’m not even sure myself yet! I can only be two months at most. Maybe three, if I conceived the very night you returned!”

“Of course you did. Everyone knows Francis only has to look at you to get you pregnant. As for how I knew? I’m your older brother. I know everything about you.”

Marie laughs and swats him for his cheek, then pulls him on to the dance floor before Francis can ask what they are whispering about. She’s not quite ready to give up this secret just yet.

Last edited:
I do love Henry and Marie's relationship. :) Him not being able to boss her around has made it healthier. Also if you want help with map making I'd be happy to provide whatever expertise I have. (it's not that much)

Mary the Younger to be Duchess of Milan in her own right? :)

That's a great way to ease the pain of the coming Annulment for Mary. Come to think of it, this might also help to appease Catherine...

I do love Henry and Marie's relationship. :) Him not being able to boss her around has made it healthier. Also if you want help with map making I'd be happy to provide whatever expertise I have. (it's not that much)
If you could do me a map, I would adore you!

Mary the Younger to be Duchess of Milan in her own right? :)

That's a great way to ease the pain of the coming Annulment for Mary. Come to think of it, this might also help to appease Catherine...
No, she's betrothed to Henri of Orleans, who will henceforth be titled Duke of Milan and Orleans. I shall go back and make that clearer.

Oh damm a secret deal, things are getting worse for Charles and he doesn't even realize it, wonder what will be their next move and what they're planning in rome...

A bigger English presence on the continent I see, maybe Henry VIII can fulfill his dreams as going down as a conqueror! Also not informing Charles of the planned divorce is risky. Great to see Marie pregnant again too!

And all Charles will be able to do is pout and sulk...

Question...
How does all of this change Chapuys' position in the English Court?
I don't think he was there in 1522, though I'm happy to be corrected!

A bigger English presence on the continent I see, maybe Henry VIII can fulfill his dreams as going down as a conqueror! Also not informing Charles of the planned divorce is risky. Great to see Marie pregnant again too!
He's certainly riding high on confidence right now! And yes, Francis hasn't wasted any time...