A Queen Twice Over: Mary Tudor the Elder Marries Francis I of France

Oh, that will not put in jeopardy a too precious alliance, and if anything the Ambassador report will made Charles grateful who he is engaged to the daughter instead of married to the mother
Can you imagine Charles and Marie's marriage? That would be tempestuous to say the least...

Francis will be coming to Marie later, tail between his legs. That'll make him realize that the most important woman at court is his wife, not his mistress.

I don't know, I just can't get over how angry I am at Francis for sleeping around. I know that's how he was OTL, but in this TL, he married Mary for love, not for politics. It was his decision, and he still isn't satisfied with her. Also, did it have to be with Margot's governess? Really? Couldn't it be anyone else? I mean, to be taking care of your lover's baby with another woman that will be more important than any possible children you might have with him can't possibly feel good. I know Françoise would not harm little madame, but still. Quite biased.

Francis will be coming to Marie later, tail between his legs. That'll make him realize that the most important woman at court is his wife, not his mistress.

I don't know, I just can't get over how angry I am at Francis for sleeping around. I know that's how he was OTL, but in this TL, he married Mary for love, not for politics. It was his decision, and he still isn't satisfied with her. Also, did it have to be with Margot's governess? Really? Couldn't it be anyone else? I mean, to be taking care of your lover's baby with another woman that will be more important than any possible children you might have with him can't possibly feel good. I know Françoise would not harm little madame, but still. Quite biased.
It's not that he doesn't love Marie, it's that he sees it as his right to take a mistress, particularly when Marie's with child. It helps that Francoise is Marie's polar opposite. I see TTL Francis as much like Akhtenaten in Michelle Moran's Nefertiti. He married Marie for love and passion, while Francoise is his escape, his pool of serenity. He needs them both in his life. As for the governess thing, it was just an easy way for me to get Francoise to court.

Section XVI - September 1516
One more chapter as an early Christmas gift to tide you over while I'm away. I'll take my draft with me and get some writing done while I'm travelling, but don't expect another chapter until the 28th at the earliest. Have a good Christmas!
Langeais, September 1516

“What am I to do? I only asked the jewellers to pick out some sapphires that Marie didn’t wear very often for Francoise to borrow for the masque. How was I to know that they’d choose Marie’s mother’s brooch?”

Francis stalks around his sister’s chambers, growling under his breath. As the last word leaves his mouth, he turns to Marguerite, appealing to her for sympathy; to tell him that this fiasco can’t be laid at his door.

Unusually, given how his older sister dotes on him, he finds none. Marguerite simply stares back at him until he sighs and slumps in defeated silence.

Only then does she exhale, lay down her embroidery hoop and lean forward to look him in the eye.

“Francis, I love you, mon cher, but even I have to admit you handled that remarkably badly.”

Francis splutters in his own defence, but Marguerite holds up a quelling hand, “Oh, bed the little minx, by all means. That’s your right as a King and as a man. But to flaunt her at your daughter’s betrothal, when Marie can’t dance in the entertainments herself? And to let her wear your wife’s own jewellery, particularly when you know how precious that piece is to Marie? That really was beyond the pale. I’m not surprised Marie tore a strip off you. I’d be spitting feathers if Alençon treated me in such a careless fashion.”

“He wouldn’t dare,” Francis flashes back, “You’re my sister, a Princess of the Blood, or as near to it as makes no difference. He wouldn’t dare!”

“And Marie is your Queen. She’s carrying your Dauphin,” Marguerite returns, “Frankly, brother, given how enraged she was, I think you’re lucky she didn’t start miscarrying there and then. You must remember that she’s young, and far more isolated than most foreign Queens are, thanks to Louis dismissing her English ladies so soon after their marriage. You need to be gentle with her, brother, not treat her as callously as you would have done Claude. At least until she gives you a son.”

“I wouldn’t have…” Francis starts, but he falls silent at the withering glance Marguerite subjects him to.

“What would you have me do?” he asks instead.

“Remove Madame de Foix from Margot’s household and replace her with an Englishwoman.”

“Remove – But Francoise has done nothing wrong!” Francis splutters again. Marguerite arches an eyebrow.

Madame de Foix has dallied with a married man. She can hardly be held up as a paragon of virtue, fit to instil decorum into the Princess and Ladies of France. She must go. Surely even you can see that.”

“Well, maybe. But to replace her with an Englishwoman? The Court won’t like it.”

“Pah! Are you a mouse, to be led by what others think of you? Giving Marie another ally at the heart of the Court would be no bad thing. A strong Queen is a strong mother and a sign of a strong France. The English lady need not raise the Dauphin, if that’s what you’re worried about. Give him to a Breton to be raised as the future Duke. The Bretons would probably even thank you for it. And the young Dukes can be given to St Pol or Montmorency if you wish. But, if you want a harmonious marriage, let Marie have an Englishwoman at her side to raise her daughters. As for Madame de Foix, why, keep your sweetheart by all means. Heavens, set her up as your maitresse-en-titre if she means that much to you. But don’t forget to humour your pregnant wife too, lest you risk the child she carries.”

Francis hesitates, abashed by his sister’s forceful words and Marguerite excuses herself with a graceful curtsy. She knows her brother well enough to know that, beloved sister or not, she can’t push him any further. His mind will already be whirring at a horse’s gallop.

At least Marguerite is there to instill some sense into her brother, and I'm starting to wonder when we will see Louise of Savoy! She was a very important figure to Francis, who was, for all intents and purposes, a momma's boy

At least Marguerite is there to instill some sense into her brother, and I'm starting to wonder when we will see Louise of Savoy! She was a very important figure to Francis, who was, for all intents and purposes, a momma's boy
I'm going to be honest here. I find Louise very very tricky to write - the chapter of 'Queen Is Dead' that required me to get into her head was a nightmare, so I doubt she'll appear much. Brother/sister interaction I can do, but mother/son is more complicated. As such, I suspect I'll be using Marguerite as her mother's mouthpiece somewhat...

Buttered 🍿 with a pinch of 🧂 and 🍫 for me, fizzy peaches and 🌹 lemonade for @FalconHonour, home-made fudge and darjeeling 🍵 for @vandevere, and lastly a Chai latte and peppermint candy sticks for @BlueFlowwer.

All hot drink orders have been put in their own thermos. It took me two attempts to get the home-made fudge correct though. Hope everyone enjoys their treats!😁!