A Queen Twice Over: Mary Tudor the Elder Marries Francis I of France

I do feel for Henry here- all his hopes lie in that small coffin.

Is Mary to blame? Possibly, maybe- she did arrange the Prince's household and security, BUT Henry never really checked on these either.

I do hope he does not find a mistress yet, not before the funeral, and he find time for his other children.

Understandable what Francis did, but should be sure to call on his Queen in a few hours so they can compose a response to that letter together methinks.

do hope he does not find a mistress yet, not before the funeral, and he find time for his other children.
He already has a mistress
Indeed, and you can be sure Diane will be stepping up to the plate where giving Henry a peaceful family life is concerned. If he wants to soothe himself by surrounding himself with Hal and Edmund and little Peggy, she's not going to be the one to stop him.

Sadly, little Lillibet may well have to look to Princess Mary, Meg and Nora for help here..

I do feel for Henry here- all his hopes lie in that small coffin.

Is Mary to blame? Possibly, maybe- she did arrange the Prince's household and security, BUT Henry never really checked on these either.

Understandable what Francis did, but should be sure to call on his Queen in a few hours so they can compose a response to that letter together methinks.
Indeed they do, and of course Mary's not fully to blame, apart from letting George stay out playing rather than making him go inside to take a nap, but when is grief rational? Particularly if it's Henry's grief?

And yes, Francis and Marie probably do need to put their heads together...

Richmond, December 1527

“He shouldn’t even have been there. He should have been in the nursery.”

The thought keeps rolling around Henry’s head as he sits vigil over his son’s tiny bier in the Chapel Royal.

He sits alone, a costly wax taper in his clasped hands. Its flame throws uncanny shadows over his face and melted wax drips down on to his hands, searing his naked skin.

He pays these minor discomforts no heed, only fixes his eyes on his son’s head, trying to commit every inch of George’s face to memory.

It is glassy, waxy and stiff, nothing like the bubbly, rambunctious little boy Henry has played with a thousand times, but it is George. The corpse before him is all Henry has left of his son, and he doesn’t want to tear himself away from it.

Shifting the candle in his grasp, he reaches out to brush a finger down George’s cheek.

“What are you doing to me, my boy?” he chokes, “Whatever made you decide to leave us so soon?”

He can feel the wetness on his cheeks and knows he must be crying silently. He makes no move to wipe them away. He’s alone in the Chapel, after all. No one dares disturb the King while he sits vigil for his son.

Henry has no sense of how long he sits there, but eventually his candle gutters out, leaving him blinking in the sudden gloom.

Stumbling to his feet, he finds a new taper from the box behind the choir stalls and lights it with a trembling hand.

He should go. Norfolk is probably champing at the bit to get in here and start putting things in order for George’s funeral.

Henry knows all this, but still he lingers. Crossing back to the head of George’s bier, he looks down at the little boy one last time.

“Goodbye, little one,” he whispers, bending over to kiss George’s brow. A tear splashes off the bridge of his nose before he can stop it, staining the white robe George wears. “Be good for your grandmother.”

His voice breaks on the last word, and he straightens abruptly, turning and stalking out of the chapel before he can lose his nerve.

“Sire! Sire!” Francis Talbot calls out to him before he is even halfway down the passage, and he half-turns, his face like stone.

The younger man falters briefly at his burning gaze, but then soldiers on gamely, “My sister was wondering if Your Grace might go to her so that Your Graces may mourn the Prince together.”

The words echo in Henry’s head, taking several seconds to make sense. When they do, he laughs shortly, humourlessly.

“Your sister wants me to go to her? To comfort her? When she’s the very reason George wasn’t safely in the nursery where no harm could come to him? I think not!”

He shoulders past Francis, jaw clenched in fury.

He has almost left the younger man behind before Mary’s brother finds his voice again.

“But, Sire! What shall I tell the Queen?”

Henry doesn’t plan his answer. The words just spring to his lips fully-formed. The moment they do, however, he knows they are the perfect revenge, for nothing will infuriate Mary as much as this.

“Tell her…Tell her I’m going to Coldharbour.”

Langeais, December 1527

“Annabelle.”

Anne turns at the King’s voice and dips a curtsy.

“Sire.”

“Come in here,” King Francis jerks his head behind him, into the small chapel off his Privy Chamber, where he and the Queen sometimes receive distinguished guests.

Curiosity aroused, Anne follows his direction, alarm rising in her as she takes in his pallor.

“My Lord? Are you quite well?”

“What? Oh, yes, thank you, Annabelle. Quite well. It’s just…We’ve received grievous news from England.”

King Francis holds up a thin sheet of parchment. Its seal is broken, but the pieces still cling to the edges of the letter. They are black, black as night. Black as night, or…

“Who’s died?” Anne chokes, straining her eyes, desperate to make out the details etched into the wax. It doesn’t look like her father’s falcon, but is it the Carey rose? Or the arms of the Princess Mary?

“Is Mary all right?! Is Eleanor?!”

“The Prince of Wales,” King Francis’s grave voice cuts through Anne’s wild thoughts. For a moment, all she feels is sheer relief that His Grace hasn’t pulled her aside to inform her of a family bereavement, as Empress Marguerite did when her brother Henry died.

But then she shakes herself. How can she be thinking like this? The Prince of Wales is an innocent child. He doesn’t deserve to die.

“How?” The word is barely a breath, but King Francis hears it anyway.

“He drowned. They were all skating on the river and the ice broke under His Highness. He drowned before anyone could get to him.”

Mon Dieu!” Anne’s hand flies to her mouth, “King Henry must be devastated! Isn’t Prince George the first son he’s had who’s survived a year? The first Prince, that is?”

“Not just King Henry,” King Francis cuts her off, and Anne understands at once.

“You want me to tell the Queen.”

“If you would, Annabelle, please. I’d do it myself, but you know how deeply Marie feels her brother’s losses. In her condition…. I think this is better coming from another mother.”

“I’ll be careful how I phrase it, My Lord. I promise, “Anne assures him. A thought strikes her and she pauses, “All the same, perhaps Your Grace could send for the physicians? Just in case we need to give Her Grace something to calm her?”

“An excellent idea, Annabelle. I’ll see to it.”

“Thank you, Sire.”

“No, Annabelle. Thank you.

Anne almost flinches back in shock from the fervency in King Francis’s voice. His obvious distress at how the Queen might take this terrible news is not helping her steel herself for what is sure to be a difficult conversation.

She decides it is best to end the conversation before either of them can work themselves up into a state of even greater dread.

She drops into a curtsy, “With Your Grace’s permission?”

“Of course, of course,” King Francis waves her away distractedly and she takes a deep breath, then slips out of the room in search of the Queen.

As she goes, she can’t help offering up a silent prayer.

“Please God, don’t let the death of the Prince of Wales cost us the new Prince of France as well.”
I knew it was coming… still hurts.

Henry is Henry… He need someone to blame and Mary was an easy choice (specially as she had made everything for keeping full control over her son’s household).
Henry has just lost his long awaited heir in which he had put all his hopes so his reaction can be only bad

It was supposed to...
Henry is Henry… He need someone to blame and Mary was an easy choice (specially as she had made everything for keeping full control over her son’s household).
Henry has just lost his long awaited heir in which he had put all his hopes so his reaction can be only bad
Indeed, Mary was the easy choice for a scapegoat, and we all know Henry likes his scapegoats.
Hopefully Henry sires another heir before he turns out like IOTL
Ah, now that would be spoilers, wouldn't it? 😉

Just so you all know, I have retrospectively gone back and given Diane a subsidiary title, Countess of Kendal, so that both Henry's bastard sons are Earls.

Section LXIX - December 1527
A brief glimpse of some royal cousins as an early Christmas present for you all! Enjoy!

Hundson, December 1527

The seamstresses are busy as bees, bustling and clucking around them with swathes and swathes of black brocade and velvet, when Meg dares broach the subject.

“Was that Lillibet I heard screaming again last night?”

“Meg!” Mary hisses, colour rushing to her cheeks. She sends the seamstresses running from the room with a look learnt straight from her father and slams the door behind them before whirling on her cousin, “You know Papa doesn’t like Lillibet’s nightmares to be bandied about in front of the servants. God forbid we might appear anything less than perfect, especially after last week.”

Meg has the grace to look abashed. She ducks her coppery head for a moment, and bites the inside of her cheek, before she pushes her younger cousin, “Was it, though?”

Mary nods and Meg winces.

“I didn’t think she’d seen. I thought I’d managed to shield her from it.”

“I don’t think she did,” Mary reassures, shaking her fair head, just slightly, “But think what we were like at four. We always put pieces together, even if we didn’t always make the right pictures. Lillibet knows something’s happened to George, even if she doesn’t quite know what because you managed to shield her eyes. She knows we’re all in mourning and that we’re not spending Christmas with Papa and the Queen the way we were supposed to, that we’ve been banished back to Hunsdon. She might not know the details, but she can jolly well put enough together to scare her.”

“Did Nora end up looking after her?”

“Of course she did. In fact, she’s with her now. You know Lillibet won’t accept anyone else when she’s really upset.”

Meg nods, then sucks her lower lip thoughtfully, “It’s odd, really, her preference for Nora. Why not want you or Lady Bury? Why Nora?”

Mary sighs, then shrugs, “Honestly, Meg? I think it’s because Nora’s never really had a mother either.”

Meg flushes abruptly. She opens her mouth to protest, but Mary raises a placating hand, “I know you haven’t either, but let’s be honest. Of the two of you, Nora’s definitely the gentle one!”

Mary laughs wryly, and while Meg pretends to look offended at the younger girl’s jibe, she soon can’t help but join in the merriment, though she does pause a few seconds later and cock her head to the side.

“But Lillibet’s got a mother.”

“The Queen?” Mary scoffs, “When has Her Grace ever treated Lillibet with anything resembling maternal affection? Or any of us, come to that? George was always her favourite, Meg, you know that.”

Mary’s cerulean eyes cloud for a moment and she gazes absently out of the nearest window.

“I’ll never do that,” she murmurs, “When Henri and I have children, I’ll never favour one over the other. Not now that I’ve seen what it does to Lillibet.”

“You’re planning ahead. You won’t even be marrying Henri for another six years!”

Meg knows her teasing is weak at best, and winces as the words leave her mouth, but to her relief, they are enough to pull Mary from her reverie. The younger girl turns back to face her and manages a watery smile.

“You’re right. It is a while off yet. And in the meantime, I have a brother to be Chief Mourner for. So let’s get these seamstresses back in, or we’ll never have our gowns finished in time for us to move to Windsor. Mistress Hilton!”

Before Meg can say a word, Mary has raised her voice, summoning their seamstress.

Then she sets her shoulders and nods to Meg, who has no choice but to follow her cousin’s example. Biting her tongue, she lets Mary pull her into a less consequential conversation as the seamstresses bustle back in, muttering darkly amongst themselves about the wasted time.

So...the kids are perceptive, aren't they...
Well, out of the mouths of babes and all that... Saying that, they're not so little anymore. Meg turned twelve in October 1527, and Mary will be twelve in February 1528, so in the eyes of the world, they're basically women now.

Assuming all goes according to plan with their current betrothals, Meg will become Countess of Surrey in 1530, when Henry Howard turns fourteen, and Mary will be Duchess of Milan and Orleans in 1533, so it's not really all that far off now...

The Cancelled Christmas of 1527 would make for an interesting book or play title for this period.

I do feel sorry for any kids in this situation, they are not capable of understanding what is going on other than all the adults are sad and playtime is cancelled.

Awww poor Mary, much like her mother she's learned from a young age that those she loves (siblings in both cases) can easily be snatched away..
And thus the impact grief can have on a family. I wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't try to grow up a lot quicker now... To take a maternal place in Lillibet's life rather than a sororal one. Although Nora is already stepping up to the plate in that regard...

The Cancelled Christmas of 1527 would make for an interesting book or play title for this period.

I do feel sorry for any kids in this situation, they are not capable of understanding what is going on other than all the adults are sad and playtime is cancelled.
Mary, Meg and Nora, at eleven and twelve respectively, know only too well what's going on. But four-year-old Lillibet's struggling, yes. Fortunately, she's a fairly easygoing child generally. She looks like her mother, but she hasn't inherited her temperament... Much to Lady Bryan and Lady Salisbury's relief, I might add!

Missed these last two chapters. My god, poor Henry. You can feel the pain and the anger that he feels. It must be horrible to lose a child. And poor Henry has lost some before. I hope he doesn’t lose anymore. Mary is gonna be crushed when she learns of her nephews death.