A Queen Twice Over: Mary Tudor the Elder Marries Francis I of France

I was curious to see how many of the total have been born, so as of 1525: Mary, Henry Fitzroy, Elizabeth, Edmund Fitzroy, and George, am I missing anyone?
Don't think so! Although Elizabeth is always Lillibet to the family, never her full name :)
Very happy for the Mean Queen!
Thank you, so is Henry! But George's birth is why Mary can't be called Henry's Mistake, as I think @Ogrebear once called her :)

Blois, December 1524

Blois is glittering in cream and silver in the December mists. The ornate Gothic building rises out of the snow, which lies thick on the ground, muffling the horses’ hooves almost as effectively as the sackcloth they’re wearing. Indeed, if it weren’t for the heavy bell tolling at the head of the procession, Mademoiselle Marie’s funeral cortege would enter Blois in complete silence.

Blois is an unusual choice for a Lady of France’s final resting place. Many expected her to be buried at Amboise, if she wasn’t taken to St Denis to lie with her ancestors.

But Marie has insisted upon Blois, digging her heels in when Francis wrote to suggest taking their daughter’s body to Paris.

Marie was born at Blois. It’s the only place I truly knew her, the only place I have any good memories of her. Please, mon amour, let me keep her close. Let me bury her where I knew her.”

In the end, Francis hasn’t the heart to refuse his grieving wife, and so he rides to Blois like the wind, and is there on the steps to greet the cortege, ready to help Marie prepare to say goodbye to the only child they have yet lost in infancy. Little Marie’s godfather, the Duke of Nemours, stands behind him, pale and composed.

Francis is just about to say something to him when Marie, swathed in white velvet with a miniver cloak over her shoulders to ward off the icy winter chill, appears in the palace gateway.

Seated high on her favourite chestnut palfrey, she looks utterly serene at first glance, at least to an outsider.

Francis, however, can see the devastation she is fighting to hide. He can see it in the set of her shoulders, in how tightly she, usually such a consummate horsewoman, is gripping her reins. He can see it in the curve of her mouth, in the way she is holding her eyes just a touch wider than they naturally go to stop the burning tears from falling.

He glances behind her to look at the heartbreakingly tiny bier, just once, and then he is across the courtyard, lifting her down into his arms.

Ma lionne,” he exhales into her hair, not knowing what else to say.

And Marie, his beautiful, spirited Marie, buries her face in his chest and lets the tears – tears she has held back for days – fall as he shields her from the crowd.

Mademoiselle Marie is laid to rest in the choir of the Chapel Royal, close to where her parents kneel for Mass every morning and every night.

Francis and Marie cannot, of course, attend the ceremony themselves, lest anyone connect the King to death, but the young Duchess of Brittany, her long fair hair spiling over the shoulders of her cream brocade gown, makes a fine chief mourner for her goddaughter, and the Bishop of Angouleme, chosen in honour of the King’s natal roots, delivers a moving eulogy, extolling the sweet nature with which Marie bore all the ill health she suffered in her short life.

No sooner has the funeral finished than Francis orders the royal stonemasons to set to work building Marie a beautiful marble monument. Her sleeping effigy lies on a bed of roses, two little angels holding her crown above her head. A dog curls at her feet to lend her company in the afterlife, and the plaque displaying her name and dates is supported by another pair of angels, these wearing crowns of oak leaves. A border of fleur-de-lys completes the tomb. It is the finest, most delicate commission the master masons have been given in years and they execute it flawlessly.

As Francis promises Marie when they first design the memorial together, no one who ever prays in Blois’s Chapel Royal again will doubt that Marie de Valois was precious, or that she was loved, for every single one of her 98 days on Earth.
@FalconHonour: I lose my laptop for a few weeks and you're killing off infants! Can I ever leave you alone? I mean, I knew it was coming, but still...
On the plus side - yay, more adorable babies!

Last edited:
What you say is all very true. On the other hand, the governorship of Milan is not something to be sniffed at. Louis may not want to rock the boat and risk losing it, particularly as his daughters are, as you say, well within Francis and Marie's reach. Not as long as no one tries to stand in the way of his annulling his marriage on the grounds of Diane's abandonment. Which they're not going to. Hell, Henry would probably be thrilled. It would free Diane up to marry him if he ever got the chance to ask her.
Also, remember, Mary is a Tudor. Would you make her angry by interfering in her plans? I, certainly, would not.

@FalconHonour: I lose my laptop for a few weeks and you're killing off infants! Can I ever leave you alone? I mean, I knew it was coming, but still...
On the plus side - yay, more adorable babies!
And Boleyn babies at that!!

Also, remember, Mary is a Tudor. Would you make her angry by interfering in her plans? I, certainly, would not.
No, I wouldn't either! I prefer my head attached to my shoulders, thank you 😛

Section LXI -April/May 1525
Windsor, April 1525

“Honestly, darling, I don’t know why I bothered ordering George a cradle. He’s hardly ever in it,” Henry teases.

Mary, who has just taken George into her arms – taken him milk drunk and sleepy straight from the wet-nurse’s arms – only laughs as the baby nestles into her warmth and dozes off.

“I don’t know why you expected anything different. You’re the one who read me Marco Polo’s Travels during my confinement. You remember the description of the Cathay Prince, don’t you? The one who was thought to be so precious that even his feet weren’t allowed to touch the ground? He was carried everywhere. [1] Why shouldn’t our son be the same? Isn’t he just as precious? Besides, George hardly ever cries when he’s being held. He’s happy in people’s arms. And you want him to be happy, don’t you?”

“Of course!” Henry exclaims, raising a placating hand, “Our son is the greatest treasure in England. Of course he should be given whatever makes him happy. I take it your sister says he’s growing well, then?”

“Margaret’s never seen a healthier child,” Mary boasts proudly, and Henry beams. He’s waited so long for an heir. To hear George is thriving and a joy to be around is balm to his long-borne hidden wounds. Moreover, the boy is clearly a tonic to Mary’s spirits as well. Gone is the fractious, peevish woman who carried both Lillibet and George. George’s birth has helped Mary relax into her role as Queen, and she is a witty ray of sunshine now, much more like the girl whom Henry was entranced by three and a bit years ago. He can’t wait to see her return to Court after her churching. Now that she’s happier in herself, she’ll be a much better wife and Queen, and probably a better mother as well.

Admittedly, she does dote on George rather more than is likely good for the boy – whoever heard of a baby who is never in his cradle, for heaven’s sake? - but then she’s young and likely still riding the wave of delight that comes with birthing a Prince. It’s only just over a week since she gave birth after all. There’s still plenty of time for her to get her humours back in balance and for things to settle down?

Having reassured himself thus, Henry smiles at Mary and rises, “I’ll leave His Highness to sleep then. I’ve a Privy Council meeting to get to. But shall we dine together this afternoon?”

“I’d like that,” Mary smiles and Henry kisses her temple.

“It’s a bargain, my sweet. Order the cooks to make whatever you fancy, and I’ll see you after Nones.”

With that, he strides from the room, shaking his head and laughing to himself as he hears Mary demanding George be wrapped in a lambswool blanket lest he catch cold. Bless her, she only wants the best for their golden boy.

Fontainebleu, May 1525

“My brother has a son! My brother has a son!” Marie bursts into Francis’s chambers, literally singing the words, “My brother has a son!”

Francis cannot help but laugh. He can’t remember the last time he saw Marie this enthused about anything. Definitely not since little Marie passed away last December. Her sudden delight is infectious.

“I know, darling,” he chuckles, standing from his desk to catch her by the waist as she spins gleefully in his direction, “Henry wrote to me as well. He’s asked if I’ll be godfather.”

“Have you said yes? Have you said yes!”

Hope shines in Marie’s eyes, and Francis laughs again and then nods. “I have, yes.”

Marie squeals, snatching the letter Francis proffers so quickly she almost tears it.

Francis watches her, shaking his head indulgently. Most of the time, Marie is the perfect French Queen, but moments like these betray the fact that beneath the meticulous façade lies an impulsive young girl, a girl who is still very much English in her sympathies.

Why, she hasn’t even thought about the fact that George’s birth means Henri will never inherit England alongside his cousin Mary! Or that therefore, there will never be a Valois Empire straddling the Channel in the way there was once a Plantagenet one.

“We should hold a tournament! We should hold a tournament for George!” Marie’s excited exclamation breaks into Francis’s musings, and he blinks at her.

“The French? Hold a tournament for the Duke of Cornwall? I’ve never heard of such a thing!”

“Oh, but it’s not just for the Duke of Cornwall. It’s for your godson. For my nephew,” Marie wheedles, winding her arms around Francis and looking pleadingly up at him, “Please, my love? You know how much it would mean to me. Besides, we haven’t held a tournament in months. Your men will be getting rusty.”

Francis chuckles wryly, “You won’t take no for an answer, will you? Oh, all right. I suppose we could all do with something to cheer us up after the last few months.”

Marie squeals in delight and kisses Francis hard.

“Thank you! Thank you!”

[1] I have no idea whether or not this really is in Marco Polo's Travels, but it sounds like the kind of thing that might be - and very much the kind of idea that Mary would latch on to!

I am kinda glad that Mary is a happier and less shitty person now. Hope that stays…and without negative consequences for Diane and others.

Ah poor Francis and his plans for the Valois dynasty to rule England too.