A Prussian on the Spanish Throne (my first TL)

So no annexation of Serbia by A/H? Hmmm....and no crazy Wilhelm II of Germany or is that out of the sphere of the TL?

No, there will be an Austrian annexation of Bosnia, and Bill is Bill anyway.

Ah - so more conservative governments and ...the colonies? What will happen to them or is that a future post?

Well, the monarchy cannot block a leftist candidate from getting the presidency if he is voted enough, but they can have a cold attitude towards him. For example, when Aznar was president/PM of Spain he rarely talked to the king or about the king, and vice versa. They weren't buddies and used to ignore each other.

The next two instalments deal with colonial questions.

So with democracy served, terrorists put away, and so on - will there be a stronger emphasis on the military that will (I'm a bit shaky on Spanish military history) lead up to an analogue to a Spanish Civil War?

There is a strong emphasis on the military now, but there will not be anything like the civil war unless the situation changes dramatically. One reason because the civil war happened in OTL was because the militarymen saw themselves as the guarantee to keep <<order>> and save the country from atomization. This dates back to the failed Sexenio in OTL, when the military tired of the general chaos staged a coup d'etat that restored the Bourbons. Such chaos and such coup didn't happen in TTL, so the idea didn't develope at all. If you ask a Spanish military in TTL turn of the century what he would do to change the government, he would probably answer "To vote the Unionists" or something like that. In essence, the people can discuss hard about political decissions, but they trust the system. The military trust the system as well.

I don't know much about Franco (and that seems a bit off) but perhaps there will be a very strong armed forces when WW1 rolls (if it ever comes) and thus....participation?

There will be participation. Remember that Spain and Germany have an alliance.

About Franco... well, in the current year (1893) he is just a newborn baby pooping his pants. In the future he will join the Navy as his father wanted, instead of the Army.

...and when is the next installment coming? :)

Don't know, but hopefully soon.

So Franco in the Navy?

Interesting...

I might add that I'm learning a whole new field of history thanks to this TL.

I guess you'll cover WW1 when it comes in great detail?

There is a strong emphasis on the military now, but there will not be anything like the civil war unless the situation changes dramatically. One reason because the civil war happened in OTL was because the militarymen saw themselves as the guarantee to keep <<order>> and save the country from atomization. This dates back to the failed Sexenio in OTL, when the military tired of the general chaos staged a coup d'etat that restored the Bourbons. Such chaos and such coup didn't happen in TTL, so the idea didn't develope at all. If you ask a Spanish military in TTL turn of the century what he would do to change the government, he would probably answer "To vote the Unionists" or something like that. In essence, the people can discuss hard about political decissions, but they trust the system. The military trust the system as well.

Will there be leanings on the US for strengthening democracy or will Spain hold on to their version?

Ties with Britain out of the question?

I guess you'll cover WW1 when it comes in great detail?

Well, if I can. :eek:

Will there be leanings on the US for strengthening democracy or will Spain hold on to their version?

I don't get it... you mean a Spanish-American alliance? or Spain evolving into an political American system?

Ties with Britain out of the question?

There are ties, but no military alliances. Britain is still in her "splendid isolation".

(some little advance)

Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, 15-4-1894

Dear and well estimated Mr. And Mrs. Castro:

At the time you receive this letter you will probably know that your eldest son Ángel passed away. I have not the pleasure to know you in person and you probably have not heard ever of me. Yet I felt the necessity to let you know that I met Ángel while we were concentrated in the Canary Islands, and we became friends so closely that I considered him as the brother I never had. We remained together when our regiment was sent to Africa and had our baptism on fire at the same time, in that sad note for the History of the Nation that was the journey of Sale.

The reason because I write this letter is to make you clear that despite his young age your son didn’t die in a poor fashion. He stood and fought till the end. He killed more moors that day than most people I know. When the enemy bullets got me and I fell on the ground thinking the worst was next, he took me to the evacuation boats and saved my life. He was with me when he received that coward shot on the back and died in my arms. Just before going he made me promise that I would tell his last minutes to his beloved father, mother and young brothers. This is why I sent you this letter: to make clear that Ángel didn’t die just as a soldier, but as a hero. I will never forget him nor the short time our lives crossed.

Yours sincerely,

Preference Soldier Eloy Gonzalo García

Someone related to Castro?

Again, I'm not that adept at Spanish history :( so you'll have clarify the main points in it beyond a Castro dying in combat.

To the Straits and Beyond: The Spanish-Moroccan War of 1893

Now that Sagasta was on the Government, he had some uneasy challenges to solve. One was to secure his own position on the presidential seat and the other was to calm the tense situation in the country (which he had helped to create in the previous years, of course). Surprisingly, the Goddess Fortune gave him the solution to both tasks in just a matter of months.

Just some weeks after the elections, a Spanish merchant ship was captured by Riffian tribesmen while she was travelling from Melilla to Ceuta. The following investigation concluded that the entire crew had been either killed or sold into slavery. Simply perfect. And not so much later, when the indignation about the incident was spreading through Spain and (thanks to the Spanish businessmen and diplomats) many other countries, 6000 Riffians armed with Remington riffles attacked the defensive outposts around Melilla. In truth, this was just another of the many attacks that the Riffians launched on the Spaniards during the 19th Century, but this time the attack was a splendid tool in the hands of the Spanish Government. To make things even easier, that same year of 1893 ended the Mediterranean Trust that guaranteed the status quo in North Africa, and the European public opinion was too much centred on the heroic stance of the Melilla garrison and the suffering of the civilian population in the city to propose a renewal of the agreement.

Sagasta demanded an immediate response from the Sultan Hassan I, but it was just hot air. At the same time the Spanish ambassador was meeting with the Sultan in Fez, the outraged people and the press were claiming for war against the old Muslim enemy, the Spanish Army and Navy were carrying the biggest mobilization in years, the war plans were heavily debated and drawn in the Ministry of War and the ambassadors were making a noisy campaign in favour of Spain in the other European capitals and most notably in London, who had been always the more sceptical towards a Spanish expansion in both sides of the Straits.

The Sultan recognized Spain as the attacked part, but didn’t take any action to stop the Riffians as he had no real control over them. The Spanish government claimed that the Moroccans were behind the attack and that the refusal was the confirmation of the Sultan’s implication. The ambassador was recalled and Spain declared war on Morocco in October 5, 1893. General José López Domínguez, head of the Unionists and Vice-President in Sagasta’s coalition government, was appointed as commander in chief of the operation (probably, by decision of Sagasta himself, to have him far from the political centre at Madrid and to blame him if things went wrong). The recruitment wasn’t a problem, as many Spaniards presented voluntarily in the recruitment centres through the country and as far as Cuba and Puerto Rico.

TL of the Spanish-Moroccan War

Post-War-1.jpg

October 5 – Spain declares war on Morocco and completes de order of general mobilization. Moroccan authorities call all men able in the kingdom to serve in the army. The siege of Melilla becomes a bloodbath as more and more Riffians (encouraged by the marabunts, who declare jihad on Spain) come to attack the city, but the defensive force resists.

October 6 – The Spanish fleet directed by Admiral Pascual Cervera imposes an effective blockade of the Moroccan coast. Several ports and coastal towns will be shelled in the following days.

October 10 – A column directed by Gen. Martínez-Campos leaves ceuta.

October 13 – Limited battle between Spanish and Moroccan forces at Zeïtoun, resulting in Spanish victory.

October 15 – The Riffian siege of Melilla is dismantled. The Riffian strategy of throwing human waves towards the Spanish walls and forts has become a bloodbath due to the action of the Spanish Mausers and machine guns. The searchlight becomes another useful tool as the Spanish ships use it to locate and fire on the Riffian positions during the night.

October 19 – Martínez-Campos takes Dar Guarda and, after receiving reinforcements, plans the attack on Tetouan.

October 20 – Battle of El Malaliyine: A great Moroccan offensive intended to expel the Spanish from Dar Guarda is defeated, becoming the first big engagement of the war. The Moroccan forces flee to Tetouan.

October 23 – Spanish sorties around Melilla prove to be difficult due to the strike-and-flee strategy used by Riffian guerrillas.

October 27 – Like in the war of 1860, Tetouan falls to the Spanish with the inestimable help of the local Sephardic population, who receives the conquerors cheering in their own language - ¡Bienvenidos hermanos! ¡Viva el rey de España!

October 30 – Moroccan forces leaded by the Sahrawi Sheikh Ma al-‘Anyan attack the Spanish positions at Ifni. The defenders leave some outer outposts and retreat to the inner line of defense, though the supply line is secured due to the proximity of the Canary Islands.

November 1 – Spanish forces enter Nador after hard fights with the Riffian berbers.

November 6 – Battle of Darfaoua: Martínez-Campos defeats another Moroccan attempt to break the Spanish lines in the Northern Rif. Tangiers is effectively isolated from the rest of Morocco, by land or sea.

November 7 – Martínez-Campos sends a letter to the governor of Tangiers encouraging him to surrender. He refuses the offer. The city is shelled again by Cervera’s fleet and the forces deployed outside the city prepare to lay the proper siege.

November 12 – Battle of the River Draa: Marching from El Aaiun, Spanish soldiers helped by Saharawi mercenary cavalry inflict a severe defeat to the surprised Moroccan forces in the region. After receiving the news about this, Ma al-‘Anyan remembers to his troops that this is a jihad and that every Muslim cooperating with the invaders is an apostate and must be executed. The siege of Ifni is intensified.

November 15 – Riots break out in Tangiers between the local Muslim and Jewish populations.

November 18 – Tangiers falls to the Spanish, welcomed again by the Sephardic population. Foreign journalists covering the event popularize the expression “to have a Jewish Agent” to describe the action of people behind the war front who undermine the government they are supposed to be loyal. The expression becomes even more famous when the following year the Jewish Captain Alfred Dreyfus is arrested in France accused of passing secret information to the Germans.

November 20 – Gen. Joaquín Vara del Rey decisively defeats Ma al’Anyan's forces at the Battle of Ougrane, in which the Sheikh himself is killed in action. The next day the siege of Ifni is totally lifted and the city firmly connected with the Spanish possessions in the Western Sahara.

November 24 – Freed by the fall of Tangiers, Martínez-Campos accelerates the march and occupies Arcila and Larache.

November 30 – Spanish forces from Melilla reach the Muluya River, only to discover that there is a French camp on the opposite bank. Not so much later the Spanish Government receives confirmation that French troops deployed in Algeria had occupied Oujda, Berkane and probably also Figuig and Bou Arfa in the previous weeks, leading to the n-th crisis between the Spanish and French governments. While the respective governments denounce the other’s actions and try to attract the support of the rest of European powers, the French and Spanish troops confronted at the Muluya engaged in a rather bizarre type of ‘discussion’, as a British war correspondent noted:

That was the most terrible battle I saw during my stance in Morocco. No bullet was fired, and nobody was killed. Yet the image was so offensive to an educated person that it was difficult to see. There, on one bank, there were the French shouting “merdegnols” and “demi maures”; on the other, the Spaniards responding “maricones” and “gabachos de mierda”. I went to Colonel Antero Rubín thinking he would finish that indiscipline, but when I found him he was just seated on his wing-chair smiling and pulling his beard, apparently enjoying the situation. His reaction didn’t change when some young recruits started to show their nude backsides to the French. From my position I could see the French commander, and he was doing exactly the same that Rubín: nothing.

Post-War2.jpg

To be continued

Someone related to Castro?

Again, I'm not that adept at Spanish history :( so you'll have clarify the main points in it beyond a Castro dying in combat.

This Castro. Just my personal take on the fact that regardless of the POD, there is always a freaking rebel Castro in the 50's Cuba of every TL. In this TL he isn't. There is nothing that relates the Castro family with Cuba, either. Eloy Gonzalo is a soldier that died in the Cuban War in OTL, but not in this (cause there isn't a Cuban War of 1895). So you can take it as a way to remind newbies that alternate wars can kill people who survived in OTL, and spare people that was killed n OTL. I have not think if will give some aditional role to Gonzalo in the future, however...

Great installment - the maps really help. I'm glad that there's a growing creep that the Spanish forces have & not necessarily a total sweep of everything.

War_in_Morocco_Death_of_Spanish_general_Margallo.JPG

December 1 – A Spanish advance party meets the Moroccan forces north of Kser el Kebir and is forced to withdraw. Martínez-Campos realises that the fast advance following the fall of Tangiers has ended now that he is running out of his limited supplies and the North Moroccan Army is rebuilding. The old general sends a message to Spain via Ceuta explaining the situation and asking for more men and resources.

December 2 – Following the decision of Martínez-Campos (defined as “excessively prudent” by discontent members in the Government), the Spanish forces leave Larache and retreat to a more secure line south of Arcila.

December 4 –Another expedition from Melilla ends in disaster when the Spanish forces suffer repeated ambushes by the numerous Riffian guerrillas in the mountains northeast of Driouch, forcing the Europeans to retreat to the lines held a week before.

December 5 – After heavy debate, the Spanish High Staff in Madrid concludes that the Eastern Rif is the toughest nut to crack due to the difficult terrain and the numerous guerrillas. The former general advance in all fronts is changed for a different strategy: Arsenio Linares’ Army of Melilla and Vara del Rey’s Saharian Army receive the order to pass to the defensive and hold on the conquered territory. The resources originally destined to new advances from there are directed instead to Martínez-Campos’ Army of Ceuta, who will use them to expel the Moroccans from Kser El-Kebir. Once this is achieved, another army formed by the new and bigger order of mobilization will land at the Rabat-Sale conurbation and advance to join Martínez-Campos in a new general offensive against the Moroccan capital in Fez, forcing the Sultan to capitulate and preventing any (further) French intervention. Hassan I has been already contacting France, Britain and the Ottoman Empire for support by then.

December 10 – Martínez-Campos meets again the Moroccans at Oum er Ras and wins a decisive battle in which the northern Moroccan army is almost completely disbanded, thanks to the massive use of Maxim Guns for the first time in the campaign. Another Spanish column retakes Larache few hours later.

December 11 – The Spanish forces enter Ksar el Kebir undisturbed; Ouazzane falls immediately with only testimonial fighting and the Spanish raids reach territory just a few kilometres away of the Moroccan capital. Martínez-Campos’ men suggest him to push immediately towards the city but he refuses, claiming that the original plan will be followed. Instead of further advancing, a new defensive line is built along the Sebu River and the western Rif.

December 13 – “The Journey of Sale” – The Spanish attempt to take Rabat and Sale, but fail. A combination of bad weather, overconfidence, lack of information about the site, command errors and lack of experience of the troops involved (most of them very young recruits in their early 20’s or less) seal the Moroccan victory. Some of the landing boats miss the beaches of Rabat and enter the Bou Ragrag river, where they are trapped between the European and American made riffles and artillery fired by the Moroccans from Rabat and Sale, each on one side of the river. Others attempt to land too soon, without properly loading their weapons or reinforcing their positions, and once on land they see themselves outnumbered by the Moroccan soldiers. The orders of retreat add further confusion, leading to collisions between the boats. Dozens of soldiers, horses and equipment are lost: shot down, captured or just drowned. One of the victims is an 18 years old Galician recruit named Ángel Castro Argiz, whose heroic stance in the battle would be exploited by the Spanish nationalist propaganda in the future. However, the disaster is hardly something the Spanish military staff can be proud about, and provokes an urgent meeting between the Government and the Spanish military staff.

December 15 – News of the disaster have caused very well different reactions in France, who lives the incident almost as an own victory; the issue also distract the general attention from the corruption scandals that hit the country and the split between conservative and progressive factions is (apparently) reduced. The French satirical newspaper Le Charivari publishes a comic strip about the war in Morocco:

In it, a pompous bullfighter (nicknamed L’Espagne) and his dwarf arm bearer (L’Allemagne, which bears a recognizable Prussian pikelhaube and wilhelmite moustache) are going to kill a seemingly exhausted bull (Le Maroc) wounded by three long banderillas (Tanger, Ksar-el-Kebir, Ougrane) while a boring or senile Queen Victoria and her Indian assistant look impassive. Then, the bull turns up and throws the matador away, thing that surprise the other characters. A second bullfighter, dress in the French colours, enters the scene while the caption says Laissez le travail à un authentique professionnel!

The author will not know but one example is being shaken in the hands of President Sagasta at the Palace of El Pardo, where the Spanish High Staff and the Government are discussing the necessary reactions to the incident. “We are the Laughing-stock of Europe! How on Earth can we dream to maintain a transoceanic empire if we aren’t able to make a decent amphibious operation?!” – said Sagasta while throwing the newspaper on the table. The discussion extended and finally leaded to the resignation of José López Domínguez as commander in chief of the campaign. After suggesting Martínez-Campos for the position (“Give the control to Martínez-Campos and hopefully he will end the war the next century” –replied King Leopold) the newly designated commander in chief was Manuel Pavía y Rodríguez de Alburquerque, a veteran general and military strategist well known by his boldness and semi-conservative inclinations.

Right after Pavía’s appointment, he calls for a commission to study and design a proper strategy in amphibious attacks in the less time possible.

December 18 – Encouraged by the unexpected success at Rabat-Sale, Hassan I order his barely rejoined forces to attack Martínez-Campos, which is on the defensive. The resultant Battle of Fes al Bali is, however, little more than a target practice for the Spaniards, as the lines of Machine Guns slaughter the successive attempts of the Moroccan cavalry to cross the river. This victory (which is achieved without the loss of a single Spaniard) becomes a decisive boost for the Spanish moral, though it isn’t followed by any advance.

December 27 – “Pavía’s Christmas Gift to the Riffians”: The new strategy is tested in the town of Al-Hoceima, in the Middle Rif. In order to secure perfect coordination between the naval and land forces, the entire operation is under the direction of General Leopoldo Cano. The Spanish Navy heavily shells the city and the Riffian positions during a day, opening the way to the landing forces, which secure Al-Hoceima and its surrounding territory by Epiphany’s Day.

January 10, 1894 – Simultaneous offensives from Tetouan, Al-Hoceima and Melilla secure a land route between Ceuta and Melilla. The Al-Hoceima campaign has been a success. The Spanish Military now use the conclusions left by the campaign to fix the last weaknesses and launch similar operations on the Moroccan Atlantic coast.

January 14 – Vara del Rey’s Saharian Army seizes Tiznit.

the reduction of the work hours (5 for “boys”, 8 for adults)
given that the work day was 12 hours at this time [60~66 Hr workweek] I don't see this.
A cut to a 10 hr day is more likely [50~55 hr workweek]

?Is the Moroccan War going to have an effect on Italy's 1895 Ethiopian War?.

?Will Whe still have a Sino/Nippon War of 1895?

?Will this Diffrerent Spain change the Fashoa incident of 1898? IIRC The resloving it, started the GB/France entrantre.

Last edited:
given that the work day was 12 hours at this time [60~66 Hr workweek] I don't see this.
A cut to a 10 hr day is more likely [50~55 hr workweek]

When I was researching for this I found that there were actually groups of workers in Spain demanding it in OTL, and I expect the Radical Progressives to be... well, Radical. But yes, probably your suggestion is more likely. That reduction would still be a significant loss of benefits for the Industrial owners, so the consequences would still be the same.

?Is the Moroccan War going to have an effect on Italy's 1895 Ethiopian War?.
I though about that and I explored this issue extensively. I knew the Ethiopians received a lot of arms from the French that in TTL would go instead for the Moroccans. But when I read closely about the Italian campaign in Abyssinia, I found that this would not make any noticeable difference. Most of the weapons the Ethiopians used in the war came actually from the Italian themselves. Many corrupt officers made some bucks selling modern armament and were later killed by it, like the Spaniards in the Rif War of OTL (this will be avoided in TTL, hopefully). Even more, Baratieri understimated so deeply the Ethiopians that he ordered his men to don't carry the best weapons and waste the older ones instead: as a result there were Ethiopian units fighting with better equipment than the Italians at Adwa. The Italian position is doomed anyway.

?Will Whe still have a Sino/Nippon War of 1895?
The conflict started about Korea, so it will not be butterflied.

?Will this Diffrerent Spain change the Fashoa incident of 1898? IIRC The resloving it, started the GB/France entrantre.
I speak about this in the next installment.

?So you don't think the italians would learn anything from observing this War.?
Will admit that is possible, but it would make a nice change