Prologue: 270 to Win
A Promise To Lead - a Robert Ritchie Presidency (West Wing TL)

Prologue
270 to Win
“Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome to Meet the Press on NBC. I am your host Tim Russert. Joining us this evening is Colin Hackney, a reporter for the Washington Post. Colin, we’re glad to have you on tonight.”

“Glad to be here, Tim. It’s an honor.”

“So, Colin, let me first ask you this: How old are you?”

“Twenty-seven. I’ll turn twenty-eight next month.”

“And how long have you worked at the Washington Post?”

“Almost three years.”

“And what do you write for in the Post?”

“Mainly domestic policy issues, typically in the Carolinas.”

“So, what brings you here today?”

“Well, Tim, needless to say I have some information that is going to change how people view the president and the Bartlet White House.”

“Really? How so?”

“Ever since admitting to having Multiple Sclerosis on national television late last year, President Bartlet has been fighting an uphill battle with public opinion. While the president has done a lot of good for this country these past four years, he also deceived us with a cloud of lies. After the MS Scandal broke out, we hoped and believed the president had straightened out his act and that the White House would be transparent and truthful from here on out. I’m sad to say, Tim, but that has been chopped up as another lie from the current Administration.”

“What do you mean, Colin?”

“I have reason to believe, with sources and a paper trail to back this up, including a key witness whose name will remain unsaid, that the ranking members of the Bartlet Administration ordered and executed an assassination on Qumari Defense Minister Abdul ibn Shareef earlier this year which was then played off as mechanical failure near Bermuda. This occurred mere hours after Minister Shareef visited the United States on a diplomatic mission and met with the president.”

“Are you saying that an act of assassination, which I will remind our viewers is forbidden both by domestic and international law, was carried out by someone in the White House? All under President Bartlet’s nose?”

“You got it all wrong, Tim. Josiah Bartlet not only knew about the assassination... he ordered the damn thing.”
-excerpt from Meet the Press, October 17th, 2002​

“CJ!”

“CJ!”

“CJ!”

“Steve.”

“CJ, has the President confirmed whether or not he ordered the assassination of Abdul Shareef?”

“The President is currently meeting with the Joint Chiefs and the National Security Council to observe the aggressive troop movements the Qumari Royal Army are making near Kalifa Air Base. The president has not commented on the Shareef issue as he is currently focusing on this tangible threat. Mark.”

“Is the Qumari military reacting based on the assumption that Shareef was killed by American forces?”

“Based on reports from the Pentagon, that appears to be the case. They will hold a briefing discussing the troop movements in more detail this evening at 6:00pm. Katie.”

“CJ, what do you think happened? Do you think the president ordered the assassination?”

“I- excuse me.”

[Assistant Carol Fitzpatrick whispers in the Press Secretary’s ear]

“Ladies and gentlemen, the president will be hosting a live interview with the press in three days at 8:00am in the Rose Garden. That is all, thank you.”

“CJ!”

“CJ!”

“CJ!”
-excerpt from the White House Press Secretary Afternoon Briefing, October 18th, 2002​

“Colin Hackney Fired! Shareef Story stolen from Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Danny Concannon!”
-Headline of Washington Post, October 19th, 2002​

“White House memo ‘leaked!’ The McNally Memo, named after National Security Advisor Nancy McNally (PhD) who authored the memo, details reasons why Abdul ibn Shareef may have been a target. According to U.S. intelligence it seemed Shareef was a member of Bahji leadership, mastermind between the failed terrorist attack on the Golden Gate Bridge, and….”
-Article from the New York Times, October 19th, 2002​

“I disagree with President Bartlet on just about every damn issue, however if he did in fact order the assassination of Abdul Shareef then we need to applaud such bold and firm foreign policy. The United States should never negotiate nor tolerate terrorists.”
-Speaker of the House Glen Walken, Representative of the Missouri 6th District, October 19th, 2002​

“If the McNally Memo is accurate then this Moslem terrorist mastermind Shareef did need to to be eliminated, but for an American President to do so in such a cloak-and-dagger fashion is an insult both to the office and this country. We are the freest and most enduring republic on this Earth. Why should we have to hide in the shadows while we carry out God’s work?

If the American people elect me president, the United States will be strong against terrorism and decisive in its suppression of such evil groups. My foremost duty will be the protection of our borders from terrorists, both foreign and domestic.

We can do this, ladies and gentlemen, we can win back the White House and remove the stain of liberal elitism that has led our country in the wrong direction these past four years. We need you to vote! So go out and vote this November!

Together, we can save America!”

“Save America!”

“Save America!”

“Save America!”
-Presidential-candidate Robert Ritchie at a campaign rally in his home state of Florida, October 20th, 2002​

“He looks tired,” Josh Lyman, White House Deputy Chief of Staff, muttered.

“Of course he’s tired. The week he's having, tired is about the best we’re gonna get.” Leo McGarry’s voice grated quietly. The Chief of Staff and his Deputy were both exhausted, as was everyone in the West Wing. The news of Shareef’s assassination breaking out to the public, though incomplete and not to the full-proof quality Danny Concannon would have published it as, the timing of it could not have been worse.

Hackney’s releasing the key details he stole from Danny could have been contained and spun the right way, but with three weeks left before the election it was a body blow. The President’s approval rating had dropped from 64% to 53% in less than a week. Liberal Democrats, especially women, were the biggest drop. Ritchie’s ratings had gone up but still trailed President Bartlet.

Josh rubbed at the ever prevalent bags under his eyes. This press conference they had prepped for the past three days, meticulously and in-depth as was humanly possible. The president had to win back the trust of the American people. After this conference they had two days of debate prep. It was a big week, a hell of a week even…

“Something’s wrong,” Sam Seaborn said. Josh glanced quickly at the Deputy Communications Director then at the stage. At first Josh only saw Josiah ‘Jed’ Bartlet standing confidently behind a podium bearing the Seal of the Office of the President of the United States of America, the Noble Prize-winning economist grinning his personable smile. He had been answering a host of questions with typical wit and confidence, which would go a long way to assuring voters.

But then Josh saw the rest.

The president was more red in the face, sweating profusely, and seemed to sway unsteadily. The president was trying to answer a question yet seemed lethargic.

“That’s, uh, that’s a valid point-“ he slurred heavily. The president reached for the glass of water next to him, but knocked it over. Josiah Bartlet stared at the spreading pool of water, blinking slowly, and then collapsed onto the podium. Josh and the rest of the staff ran forward, as did Secret Service agents. Screaming was heard, panic-riddled voices filling the air, all while the cameras kept rolling and photographer cameras flashing as they recorded the moment to show the country and the world the fragility of the President of the United States.

President Bartlet collapses! MS episode suspected!”
-Washington Post, October 22nd, 2002​

“I can confirm that the incident from last night was in fact an MS episode.”
-Press Secretary CJ Cregg at the White House Morning Briefing, October 22nd, 2002​

“DOW drops 700 points the day after President Bartlet’s collapse. Americans are feeling worried and insecure."
-The Economist, October 22nd, 2002
"I want to know who is in control, God damnit! Is Hoynes the Acting President. Was the 25th invoked, Leo?"

"The president isn't able to sign the appropriate paperwork right now to relinquish his place as Commander-Chief. He's in a medically-induced sleep to combat the fever."

"Good God... are you... Are you telling me this is sort of like Rosslyn all over again?"

"It's exactly like Rosslyn, Toby. We screwed up."​
-conversation overheard between White House Chief of Staff Leo McGarry and White House Director of Communications Toby Ziegler​

“Presidential Debate Canceled amidst Multiple Sclerosis Attack!”
-Chicago Times, October 22nd, 2002​

“Presidential-candidate Robert Ritchie sends ‘well wishes’ to bedridden President Bartlet. A source from the White House has confirmed that the First Lady was informed but no word yet on her response.”
-Excerpt from Capitol Beat, October 22nd, 2002​

“A source close to the West Wing has confirmed that the president has been asleep for over sixteen hours since his collapse. I don’t know about you, but I don’t want Sleepy Bartlet to be my Commander-in-Chief when a crisis emerges. He’s likely to nap through it!”
-Tucker Carlson, October 22nd, 2002​

“Explosion in Paul's Valley, Oklahoma! Local High School targeted by Muslim jihadists. Over 30 dead, 100 wounded. A town shaken to its core."
-The Oklahoman. October 24th, 2002​

“Thousands take to the street to protest the hesitant and flat-footed government response against last week's bombing. Bombers still at large."
-Channel 4 News, October 31st, 2002​

"Is America under attack? Is America unsafe under Bartlet's watch? The short answer is... yes."
-Fox News, November 1st, 2002
"I am happy to announce President Bartlet has fully recovered since the MS episode eleven days ago. His fever broke last night and he is in remission. His physician, Admiral Hackett, will give you all the necessary details in just a moment-"​
-excerpt from the Press Secretary CJ Cregg's White House Morning Briefing, November 2nd, 2002
"The President made his first public appearance since the disastrous press conference on October 21st, and gave a short but stirring speech to the assembled crowd who gave a standing ovation, many seemingly relieved to see the President in such good health and spirits but a senior Bartlet Administration official has mentioned that the mood in the West Wing is hesitant, unsure and even worried about what kind of result Tuesday will hold."​
-CNN November 2nd, 2002​

"The polls are open. Now its up to the voters, the common man and woman. God help us all..."
-unknown White House staffer, November 5th, 2002​

"As expected, President Bartlet has secured New England with few worries. The Republicans, while gaining some seats for the House and Senate, knew New England was a foregone conclusion. They focused their efforts in the South and Midwest and as we can see here tonight, that strategy is working."
-MSNBC, November 5th, 2002
"The entirety of the South and most of the Midwest have gone Republican, despite heavy Democrat turnout in nearly every state. Though sporting some Democrat victories in Michigan, Indiana, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Nebraska, it doesn't seem that there is anything that can stop this Red Tide."
-Fox News, November 5th, 2002​

"Republican 'Red Tide' has seemingly faltered against the Rocky Mountain States."
-NBC, November 5th, 2002​

"Entirety of West Coast remains Blue. Nevada votes Democratic as well while Idaho remains a very pro-Ritchie state. There... there seems to be an issue in Colorado. Recounting is being called by both sides as there appears to be computer error or clerical error, it isn't clear yet. But I can confirm a recount is taking place in Colorado. The race right now has President Bartlet at 268 Electoral Votes and Governor Ritchie at 262 Electoral Votes. Ladies and Gentlemen, no matter who wins this will be a historic election. Only one other presidential election in American history has come so close, that of Rutherford B. Hayes winning over Samuel Tilden in 1876."
-CBS, November 5th, 2002​

"Ladies and Gentlemen, Colorado's recount has finished and has been called for... Governor Robert Ritchie. Winning by less than three thousand votes, the state's eight Electoral votes will go to Ritchie."
-NBC, November 5th, 2002​

"President Bartlet has called to concede and congratulate Governor Ritchie. The Governor will, in just a few moments, deliver his acceptance speech. Robert Ritchie is now officially the President-elect of the United States of America."
-CNN, November 5th, 2002​

2002 Election.png

Electoral College:
Robert Ritchie (R) - 270 Electoral Votes
Josiah Bartlet (D) - 268 Electoral Votes

Popular Vote:
Robert Ritchie (R) - 48% of the vote (46,913,232)
Josiah Bartlet (D) - 51% of the vote (49,845,309)
Other - 1% of the vote (977,359)

Last edited:

MaxGerke01

Banned
Colorado I can see being close or going either way in 2002 but what happened in Illinois,Nebraska,Indiana and West Virginia ?

MaxGerke01

Banned
Thank you.

Those are states Bartlet won in West Wing canon, here he keeps them. And West Virginia in the WW world is a traditional Democratic stronghold though it has become a swing state
Except for Illinois right ? Hard to see it going red in 2002 with Chicago ?

Deleted member 139407

A Promise To Lead - a Robert Ritchie Presidency (West Wing TL)
As someone who had a rather intense West Wing phase, I'm hooked. When the show focused on President Bartlet's MS in his first term, the assassination subplot, the failure to disclose it the public, the very obvious public scorn against the Bartlet administration and shown support for Ritchie, I was very thrown off by Jed's near-landslide re-election (I would understand the map a bit more if Aaron Sorkin threw in a lazy catch-all third party candidate who ate into Ritchie's support giving Bartlet an Electoral landslide which could devote a few episodes towards an Electoral College reform subplot, but here we are). I understand that the show was about the Bartlet Presidency and thus needed him to be re-elected, but it took me out of the show to hear about and see the electoral map. Watched.

Last edited by a moderator:
Except for Illinois right ? Hard to see it going red in 2002 with Chicago ?
True, but I wanted the election to be very very close and if I have Illinois go Blue here then I’d have to have more other states with less EVs go Red which will make Bartlet’s loss look worse than it actually was.
As someone who had a rather intense West Wing phase, I'm hooked. When the show focused on President Bartlet's MS in his first term, the assassination subplot, the failure to disclose it the public, the very obvious public scorn against the Bartlet administration and shown support for Ritchie, I was very thrown off by Jed's near-landslide re-election (I would understand the map a bit more if Aaron Sorkin threw in a lazy catch-all third party candidate who ate into Ritchie's support giving Bartlet an Electoral landslide which could devote a few episodes towards an Electoral College reform subplot, but here we are). I understand that the show was about the Bartlet Presidency and thus needed him to be re-elected, but it took me out of the show to hear about and see the electoral map. Watched.
I’m currently in my first rewatch of the West Wing and I love the show so much. And I loved the different geo-politics that are going on there too when compared to our history.

Now while I love the Bartlet White House and a lot of what they did it seemed his first term was the more successful of the two and Bartlet won’t be blamed for a recession. He will be remembered fondly as an excellent president that was cut short due to his health, the assassination, and the like.

And I tried to paint it here that people aren’t mad about the assassination, not really, except for some dove liberals, but more of the fact that it was done so cloak and dagger like.

Glad to have another WW fan follow this! I hope to publish at least once a month (this story takes the backseat to my main one, but might upload more depending on the creative juices and time. Any and all suggestions and critical feedback are welcome.

Huge WW fan so will keep an eye on this.
Re: the query about the Bartlett landslide in the series - one thing to remember is the debate which is butterflied away. In the show Bartlett annihilates Ritchie, who even concedes "It's over" at the end. Whilst the debates might be written off as irrelevant, in such a tight election, you might only need a few thousand voters in a few states to be swayed to get a EC landslide.

Subscribed.
Welcome!
Huge WW fan so will keep an eye on this.
Re: the query about the Bartlett landslide in the series - one thing to remember is the debate which is butterflied away. In the show Bartlett annihilates Ritchie, who even concedes "It's over" at the end. Whilst the debates might be written off as irrelevant, in such a tight election, you might only need a few thousand voters in a few states to be swayed to get a EC landslide.
Glad to hear!

Yeah the debate is butterflied away due to Bartlet having an MS episode on live television days before the debate. And even with that it became an incredibly close election with Bartlet still winning the popular vote by about 2.5 million.

Currently making the next chapter.

Was CJ’s secret service agent killed in this TL? As I recall in the show, Ritchie made the “crime, boy I don’t know” comment about the agents death that made Bartlet mad, and said ”that’s the moment I decided to kick your ass”. Could this incident have led to Bartlet having the more serious MS attack ITTL?

ric350

Was CJ’s secret service agent killed in this TL? As I recall in the show, Ritchie made the “crime, boy I don’t know” comment about the agents death that made Bartlet mad, and said ”that’s the moment I decided to kick your ass”. Could this incident have led to Bartlet having the more serious MS attack ITTL?

ric350
He would have still died yes, as that event happened before Bartlet and Ritchie had agreed to a debate. And it could for sure, added onto the stress.

Chapter One: Transition and War
Chapter One
Transition and War

“As Qumari Royal Army units continue to carry out ‘military exercises’ near Kalifa Air Base, Base Commandant Brigadier General Garnier has sternly repeated the State Department’s warning that if the Qumari government attacks the military base, the United States will be forced to retaliate with unrelenting force.”​
-CBS, November 7th, 2002

“President-Elect Ritchie has officially begun the Transition Process. Ritchie’s first announcement two days after the election was that his Campaign Manager Kevin Kahn would become his White House Chief of Staff and would organize the vetting of Ritchie’s proposed Cabinet members.

Kahn, a noted and committed political agent long-familiar with Washington politics, has apparently dived into this work with fervor, according to sources in the President-Elect’s Transition Office.

Furthermore, other long-term Ritchie staffers have been given positions that will help the incumbent Ritchie Administration start its proactive and committed ability to govern on day one.​
-Fox News, November 7th, 2002

“Mr. President-Elect, what is your legislative agenda going to look like in your first hundred days?”

“Boy am I glad you asked. It’ll be tax cuts, tax cuts and tax cuts. Tax cuts to give the American family the necessary money they need, tax cuts so American jobs will stay in America, and tax cuts so that extra money the average American keeps in his pocket is money he’ll use to invest or purchase consumer goods. All this will benefit the economy. As the freer the market, the freer the people.”

“Mr. President-Elect?!”

“Yes, Jimmy?”

“Sir, President Bartlet had two years in which his Administration ran a budget surplus. The first surplus was used as debt reduction. Since the second surplus is still being collected and assessed but is estimated to be around twenty seven and a half billion dollars, what will your Administration do with that money?”

“There are a variety of things we can do with that money. One is debt reduction, true, but I want to find a way to return the money back to the American people. A sort of thanks for their dedication and hard work.”

“Sir! One last question.”

“Go ahead, Mary.”

“If Qumar attacks Kalifa, how will your Administration respond?”

“With steel and fire as if it were God’s own fury.”​
-President-Elect Press Conference, November 13th, 2002

“Qumari missile strike hits Kalifa Air Base! Four Americans dead, five wounded!”​
-New York Times, November 19th, 2002

“Qumar Royal Army attacks Kalifa Air Base! President Bartlet orders the U.S. Fifth Fleet into the Persian Gulf!”​
-Chicago Tribune, November 19th, 2002

“I can confirm that three U.S. Air Force squadrons in Kuwait have conducted opening sorties over western Qumar, bombing key infrastructure and two military bases outside the capital city Jabal Nafusah.”

“CJ!”

“CJ!”

“CJ!”

“Danny.”

“Has Qumar declared war on the United States?”

“As of this moment they are merely calling it a ‘retaliatory strike for the murderous assassination of Abdul Shareef.’”

“How will the White House respond?“

“The President has already ordered the Fifth Fleet to sail to the Strait of Hormuz, and the Second Marine Division is being deployed in the next day or two. As we have stated since the Qumari Royal Army began displaying hostile intent a month ago, any assault on American soil or government personnel will not be tolerated and an immediate and unequivocal response will be unleashed.”

“CJ!”

“Molly.”

“Is President-Elect Ritchie being brought to the White House for consultation on this?”

“President-Elect Ritchie is being frequently updated by his intelligence and military liaisons. The President-Elect will be here first thing tomorrow morning and I know he and President Bartlet will be discussing potential resolutions to the crisis. Lauren.”

“CJ, are we going to declare war on Qumar?”

“No. Our intent is to secure Kalifa Air Base and ensure regional stability. We’ll back off when the Qumari do but not before.”

“CJ!”

“Mark.”

“CJ, I’ve received a tip from a Pentagon source that American Special Forces are being moved to Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and Oman. Is that correct?”

“I can neither confirm nor deny any transport of such forces at this time. The Pentagon will hold their own press briefing in an hour. They will have more information to share and discuss. That is all, ladies and gentlemen.”

“CJ!”

“CJ!”​
-White House Press Conference, November 19th, 2002

“Let us go now to Alberto Rodriguez, reporting live from Kalifa Air Base. Al?”

“Good morning from Qumar, Allison.”

“And a good morning to you too. Al, let us know, what’s going on there?”

“As you know, Allison, the first two days of this conflict saw sporadic artillery and missile attacks on Kalifa. On the morning of the third day the Qumari attacked the base in a frontal assault and as you can see behind me, that failed. The assault caused eight American casualties, two of whom are confirmed dead while the other six are hospitalized. At last count the Qumari lost thirty-nine tanks, eighteen APCs and over two hundred vehicles. The Qumari are withdrawing, being harried by American air forces. There are American planes, mostly F-15 Eagles, F-16 Falcons and A-10 Thunderbolts arriving and departing regularly on sorties.

Now it has only been six days since Qumar attacked Kalifa but since that time U.S. air forces have carried out over two hundred sorties so far, most aircraft have originated either from here at Kalifa or the two carriers in the U.S. Fifth Fleet. For the past six days American air units have pummeled Qumari supply depots, highways, command and control centers, and concentrations of Qumari armored and mechanized forces.”

“What about the Qumari Royal Air Force?”

“As of this morning, local time, the Qumari Air Force is largely scrap metal with the few remaining planes grounded from American bombings of airfields. We have complete air superiority.”​
-MSNBC, November 25th, 2002

“Alright, Fitz, explain what we’re gonna do.”

“Yes, Mr. President. As of December 8th, the Second Marine Division has finished its deployment to Kalifa Air Base. Twenty thousand Marines with several armored battalions and extensive air support are ready to go. We have two operation scenarios that the troops on the ground are prepared to carry out on your order, sir: Prometheus One and Prometheus Two.

“Prometheus One is your typical blitzkrieg offensive. Our troops will deploy from Kalifa and advance along the highways here, here and here. Jasken will be the first major city they’ll encounter. Our forces will surround the city, cut it off from supply and advance towards the next objectives, the cities of Himms and Tashken.”

“And what is our objective here?”

“These three cities are considered the shield of eastern Qumar. We cut them off from the rest of the country, they’ll wither on the vine. The pro-democratic moderates within the country have taken to the streets in protest and are in a position to help take many major urban centers from the inside out. Our air units, especially Apache and Cobra helicopters, will provide close air support and cripple any Qumari counterattack before it can begin. Keyhole satellite images have shown us the remnants of the Qumari Royal Army in a haggard retreat towards Jabal Nafusa, under constant attack by our aircraft.”

“And Prometheus Two?”

“Prometheus Two will be a decapitation strike. First there will be a helicopter and air assault on Jabal Nafusa, while UH-60 Blackhawks and MH-6 Little Birds carry vanguard elements of the Second Marine Division into the city directly. There they will join up with rebels and secure key infrastructure here, here, here and here, allowing half of the Second Marine Division to be airlifted in and the Third and Fourth Armored Battalion will advance from Kalifa along al-Hullah Highway, supplemented by the rest of the Marines, and enter the city from the south. It is a quicker but riskier operation than Prometheus One.”

“What do you think Fitz? Which is better?”

“It is my opinion, sir, and that of the rest of the Joint Chiefs is that Prometheus Two will be the better scenario. Prometheus Two will allow us to capture the sultan, his top generals and ministers and end the war in one stroke. We can’t risk getting tied down in Qumar, sir. Better a rapid strike to-“

“Cut off the head of the snake so the body dies.”

“Yes, sir.”

“Hmm. Where’s the sultan right now?”

“We are almost a hundred percent sure he is in the Royal Palace, surrounded by the Sultanate Guard and several other loyal Army units, though protests in the capital are rising and he may have moved but we are certain he is still in Jabal Nafusa.”

“Has Ambassador Usef been contacted?”

“Yes, sir, he’s ready to denounce his cousin and assume the throne once the sultan has been deposed.”

“And the imam?”

“We… are not sure where he is, sir. Once the Qumari offensive against Kalifa failed miserably, Imam Haloun Jalil went into hiding somewhere in northern Qumar.”

“Aren’t there four Bahji training camps there?”

“Yes, sir, and we have destroyed all four, but it is possible there are more, hidden in the mountains.”

“Or the leader of the Bahji has escaped into Iran. What a pleasant thought… What do you think, Leo?”

“Well, Mr. President, I think it’s the best we can hope for. Quickly apprehend the sultan and his government, place Ambassador Umar Usef into power, and rid the country of Bahji extremists.”

“Alright. Let’s do it. Admiral Fitzwallace, initiate Prometheus Two.”
+ + +​

“Prometheus Two is a go! I say again, Prometheus Two is a go!”​
-Pentagon communique to Kalifa Air Base, December 9th, 2011

On December 9th, 2002, American military forces carried out Operation Prometheus. U.S. military aircraft, numbering close to seven hundred planes, bombers and helicopters, reigned supreme in the air while a thousand Marines from the Second Marine Division were inserted by helicopter near key objectives in Jabal Nafusa. Within three hours the Qumari Ministry of Defense, the Akbar ibn Shareef National Airport, the Ministry of Truth, and police headquarters were all secured. With the Airport secured, a score of C-5 Galaxies landed, deploying fresh troops, armored vehicles and supplies. Across the city Qumari resistance at first wavered then rapidly collapsed. Three Qumari Army divisions switched sides, evacuating the city until the fighting stopped so as not to be caught in the crossfire. The Qumari military, despite fielding an ad hoc mixture of Cold War-era U.S. and Soviet equipment, were outclassed in terms of training, logistics and application of force.

While Marine forces were securing their objectives, Navy SEAL Team Six infiltrated the Royal Palace, assisted by Qumari rebel forces. Sultan Akbar ibn Shareef was found in the throne room, having been killed by several of his wives. Akbar’s eldest son and Qumari Crown Prince, Nahuel, was apprehended as he attempted to flee the city and was helevac’d to Kalifa Air Base for internment and interrogation.

Within six hours fighting in Jabal Nafusa had largely died down. Fighting would continue in parts of Qumar, especially in the north of the country, for weeks but the Qumari War as it became coined was all but over.
-excerpt from The Lead Up and Fallout of the Qumari War by Sean Redman

“My American citizens and free peoples of the world, I am pleased to tell you today that the Qumari War is over. Victory has been secured and peace has returned to the region. The tyrannical and radical government of Sultan Akbar ibn Shareef is over, the sultan himself found dead by American forces, and his son Crown Prince Nahuel has been apprehended.

The Qumari Ambassador to the United States, Umar Usef, is currently on his way to Qumar to ascend to the throne as its new sultan. Umar Usef has long been friendly towards the West, is an outspoken moderate and has advocated greater democratic reform at home that had been entirely ignored by his cousin the sultan. It is the belief of this Administration that Umar Usef will be a friend to not only American interests but to civilization and democracy itself.

Let us hope that the Qumari War is remembered as an example of oppression and dictatorial force faltering under the resolve of American democracy and its people.

Qumar has returned to its place as an American ally and will, with UN support, become a bastion of democracy in the Middle East.”​
-President Bartlet, excerpt from his final televised speech from the West Wing, December 10th, 2002

“Hawkish Republicans, spearheaded by Speaker Walken, applaud President Bartlet’s handling of the Qumari War. Bartlet’s approval rating has risen to 62% from its low 49% just prior to the election last month. Ritchie has said the war was fought with 'skill and ferocity' that is matched American military professionalism. However the President-Elect was frustrated about the 'lackluster punishment' inflicted on the Sultanate of Qumar, stating that such a country built on evil principles should be made an example of. Ritchie also lamented the loss of one hundred and twenty-seven American servicemen and servicewomen who died in the conflict as well as the near three hundred who were wounded in the three week war. Though he did not come right out and say it, the President-Elect strongly hinted that American casualties would have been lower if he were the Commander-in-Chief."​
-RealClearPolitics, December 11th, 2002

“President-Elect Ritchie and President Bartlet continue their daily meetings at the White House this week, Ritchie sitting in on the final Cabinet meeting of the Bartlet Administration.”​
-White House statement, December 13th, 2002

“Economic slowdown is on its way after the holidays, experts warn. If American consumer spending and investment does not maintain itself, it could brew economic troubles.”​
-Wall Street Journal, December 15th, 2002
Qumari prince Umar Usef, cousin to the late sultan and former Ambassador to the United States, has been officially coronated as Sultan of the Qumari nation. Sultan Usef has called for political and social reform in his county that will both respect its history, its religion and its people, but that if Qumar was to progress into the ever-changing 21st Century it to must change. Much of the Qumari Parliament is under investigation for corruption, while some have even been arrested. Sultan Usef has chosen leading moderate politician Dastgir Farooq as Prime Minister.

The new sultan has ordered Prime Minister Farooq to create a cabinet of ministers to help lead the nation and rebuild it as well as to oversee a general democratic election to be held in February. UN officials will oversee the election to ensure it is open and fair. This is a noticeable divergence from Sultan Akbar Shareef's rule which was an absolute monarchy rife with corruption and censorship.

The IMF has already agreed to a $5,000,000,000 loan to help rebuild Qumar and modernize many of its oil-processing facilities. Once oil production resumes to its pre-war outputs, the loan would easily be paid back in a year or two.​
-Washington Post, December 16th, 2002

President Bartlet and the First Family prepare to spend their last Christmas at the White House, whilst President-Elect Ritchie has returned to Florida to meet with his family for the holidays and is not expected to return to Washington D.C. until early January.

U.S. forces are to begin its scheduled withdrawal from Qumar on December 28th, barring the original garrison of Kalifa Air Base.​
-Washington Post, December 23rd, 2002

Last edited:
Excellent update. Interested how quickly (and easily) the war was won given Qumar has the latest US equipment.
Curious to see how Ritchie takes this forward given his apparent desire to 'punish' Qumar (before?) rather than install a pro-western leader. Why do I get the feeling he is going to be too gung-ho and screw it up?

Excellent update. Interested how quickly (and easily) the war was won given Qumar has the latest US equipment.
Curious to see how Ritchie takes this forward given his apparent desire to 'punish' Qumar (before?) rather than install a pro-western leader. Why do I get the feeling he is going to be too gung-ho and screw it up?
You’re right. I was originally going to have the way last until late December but figured a short victorious war would be better for all sides involved. But their equipment was semi-modern. I’ll just stress that the equipment was like “hand me down” equipment or was in storage, and that while the equipment was semi modern the Qumari military was terribly trained with poor logistics. I’ll stretch the war about another week and have the U.S. do a Iraq-style bombing of Qumar. Also didn’t want Qumar to get so pummeled they would be angry at the U.S. And I wanted Bartlet to go out with a win.

Ritchie will have ups and downs in his presidency. I will say he will be more hands off and focused more on internal/Latin America then outside the Americas.

I’ve made the war last from November 19th-December 10th and have adjusted casualties as a result. I mention the equipment the Qumari were issuing were Cold War era (late 80s/early 90s) equipment. So modern, but not 2002 modern.

Hopefully that helps sell this conflict more easily.