Oh my god the internet lumberjack has spot on congress god help us all. Perhaps his son Christopher is a successful comic book artist and is married with a wife and a daughter named Krystal in this universe lmao
Bob "The Lumberjack" Chandler was a lowkey, but locally popular congressman who happened to lose in the pro-Alliance wave of 1998. Not really that interesting in the grand scheme of things. I'm not sure of this "Christopher" you speak of. ;)

Crazy Boris

Banned
Oh my god the internet lumberjack has spot on congress god help us all. Perhaps his son Christopher is a successful comic book artist and is married with a wife and a daughter named Krystal in this universe lmao

Wait, is that actually him?
This timeline is amazing.

My God, you actually did it!

Also, the thought of a more successful Bob Chandler butterflying Chris-Chan away seems...plausible.

ITTL, Bob does not marry Barbara, not only butterflying Chris' birth but saving him from a world of pain later.

Seriously, guys. I put the joke in pages ago, and no one caught it until now. You guys got to step up your game. ;)

Really like the setup for this TL, very Blursed in a unique way. :)

Thank you. That's what I was going for. I'd say OTL is blursed, and the best and most realistic timelines are the ones that have a blursed feel.

Besides, what's more blursed than jet-powered flying boats? (*hint, hint*)

7770e98fd4e1222816ab60a21e17e997.jpg

Whats up with John Edmund ttl? I'd imagine he'd be a pretty big celebrity considering colonial rule never ended in southern Africa. His music has got to be the worst guilty pleasure of mine

Whats up with John Edmund ttl? I'd imagine he'd be a pretty big celebrity considering colonial rule never ended in southern Africa. His music has got to be the worst guilty pleasure of mine
John Edmund's profile is a lot less prominent ITTL for obvious reasons. He does discover his knack for music, but his career is a lot more restricted to Rhodesia, with a lot more civilian, folksy flair than the military ballads he became known for ITTL.
AFAIK this is one of two TLs that have used the Chandler family, and let’s just say this Chandler family is in a much better situation than that one.
Which timeline is that? I'd like to take a look at that one. But, yes, the Chandlers are in a lot happier state ITTL, or at least Bob is.

The World of APD: Transportation
Transportation – World War II had a significant impact on transportation in the United States. The need for large, heavy bombers led to the construction of larger airports in America and in Europe, while the German autobahn served as a catalyst for similar highway projects in other countries, most notably the Interstate Highway system. American absence from a (relatively) quick World War II would result in certain modes of transportation flourishing more than others.

In the world of A Perfect Democracy, aviation has developed in a much different way. For one, trans-Atlantic aviation remained a much more luxurious affair for longer, as American business did not grow as intertwined with Western Europe as much as in our time. As such, the “flying cruise ship” approach remained the rule for much longer than in our timeline. Germany continued with its fleet of zeppelins, even expanding it to four Hindenburg class ships – Hindenburg, Graf Zeppelin II, Ludendorff, and Karl der Gross – which flew across the Atlantic as well as over Nazi dominated Europe. However, a fatal accident in the mid-1940’s bringing the inevitable end of airship travel much later than in our timeline. Flying boats remain the preferred mode of international travel due to its many advantages. Larger and more luxurious flying boats built by Saunders-Roe and Boeing continue to fly the skies for much longer. Larger airliners do not develop, with intracontinental travel being largely taken up by smaller, shorter range planes and railroads.

b71c281f510600296c14d5199df61d37.jpg

The aptly named Saunders-Roe Queen vied with the Boeing 377 as the flying boat of choice for intercontinental airlines during the mid-20th century.

Speaking of railroads, they remain the preferred method of short and medium-distance travel, especially in the United States. As mentioned previously, no American involvement in World War II results in no development of an autobahn-esque highway system in the United States, as American individuals and businesses still prefer railroads for the transportation of passengers and freight. During the presidency of Huey Long, the railroads were effectively nationalized under the National Railroad System or NRS, which gave the federal government greater control over nominally private railroad companies, now under the name Amrail. By the 1970’s, they were formally nationalized. Passenger trains crisscross the country at various levels of capacity and comfort. Nationalization has led to the closure of some lines, however, but not to the same extent as in our timeline, given the lack of an effective competitor to rail from trucks or airplanes.

spvVHLL.png

A GE Genesis in the standard livery for Amrail.

Speaking of railroads, they remain the preferred method of short and medium-distance travel, especially in the United States. As mentioned previously, no American involvement in World War II results in no development of an autobahn-esque highway system in the United States, as American individuals and businesses still prefer railroads for the transportation of passengers and freight. During the presidency of Huey Long, the railroads were effectively nationalized under the National Railroad System or NRS, which gave the federal government greater control over nominally private railroad companies, now under the name Amrail. By the 1970’s, they were formally nationalized. Passenger trains crisscross the country at various levels of capacity and comfort. Nationalization has led to the closure of some lines, however, but not to the same extent as in our timeline, given the lack of an effective competitor to rail from trucks or airplanes.
It looks like Russia.

It looks like Russia.
I could see that, now that you mention it.

Just to clarify a point: this is not to say that the US has NO federal highways. As President, Long also supported a massive overhaul of several major highways. However, there is no Interstate system as exists in our timeline, which benefits railroads mostly.

Crazy Boris

Banned
Yeah, pretty much. Chris-Chan in that TL sparks an alternate Columbine, spurring a moral panic against video games and mental illness.

As terrifying as that scenario is, it gave me the mental image of Chris-Chan singing “Pumped up Kicks” which is pretty funny.

I would pay good money to hear that cover.

We need a tl with Chris Chan as president and after a major economic crash people start to live in shanty towns called cwcvilles.