Question - does the Christian conduct of the Shabbat include a ban only on work, or on any activity? Just the Jewish Shabbat is enough ... tiresome (I got the impression). Moreover, not all people are religious. In addition, the gospel says - "not a man for the Saturday (Shabbat), but Saturday for a man."

The “ban” is on work and commerce, not so much on peripheral activity as would be common in Orthodox Jewish communities. Think “Blue Laws.” The United States more or less operated on such a basis for most of its existence in OTL.

That being said, there are secular benefits to a guaranteed day off. Most of Europe has similar laws regarding commerce on Sunday. But if you’re thinking policemen are knocking on the doors of houses on Sunday afternoons making sure they aren’t doing anything defined as “work,” it’s nowhere near that.

Article: Rhodesia's Next Prime Minister? Jack Dawkins and the Future of Africa's Breadbasket
sNV9GCs.png

Agriculture Minister Jack Dawkins at a farmers' convention in Bulawayo

Rhodesia's Next Prime Minister?: Jack Dawkins and the Future of Africa's Breadbasket

by Al Lovitz
BULAWAYO - A man with greying hair and a reassuring RP accent stands on stage at a meeting of Southern Rhodesian farmers in the growing of city of Bulawayo. For Agriculture Minister Jack Dawkins, this is familiar territory. Despite his accent, Dawkins is well acquainted the world of Rhodesian farming. In fact, he is the owner of Dawkins Farms, one of the largest agribusinesses in the country. Following his speech, he shakes hands and slaps the backs of cattle ranchers and wheat farmers, those whose support he'll need should he seek the premiership. With MacDonald's plummeting popularity, the Federal Party might be looking to this rising star to save its chances in next year's election.

After meeting with potential voters, Dawkins makes his way to the exit where I was standing. He notices me and shakes my hand. "Mr. Lovitz, I presume?" His accent is much more pronounced than it was during his speech, perhaps a reality of Rhodesian politics. The hard-nosed, practical people of Rhodesia have little time for Old World pretensions.

He motions me to join him in his green Land Rover, from my estimation a twenty-year old model. A man of his wealth could probably afford a Mercedes so popular among men of his station. Perhaps he does own a Mercedes, but a man of apparent ambition has little incentive to look distant from the people.

It would be unfair to dismiss Mr. Dawkins as an aristocrat, though he certainly has the pedigree. Born in 1941 in Nairobi, Kenya to an imperial civil servant, Dawkins spent much of his boyhood in Africa prior to his father returning to Britain in the waning years of Empire. "My father's estate in Oxfordshire was in shambles. Churchill's government was making a mess of things, and my father believed that Morrison and Labour were going to make it worse," he tells me as we drive down a country road to his ranch. "He decided to take his chances in Southern Rhodesia." What followed was Dawkins Farms with a wide array of products ranging from beef and dairy products to wheat. "I expanded our operations to chicken. Its our most profitable livestock. I guess it turns out to my fascination with poultry." He goes on talk about his experimentation with raising chicks trying to get the most out of their yield. "You know, I'm something of a scientist myself, or at least I like to think I am."

We pull into the yard outside of the house greeted by four large German shepherds. They great their master as he climbs out of the Rover, and he bends over the play with them. "I call them the 'Four Horsemen,'" he says with a bit of a chuckle. He stands back up and we go into the house. We sit down over a "cuppa" tea, and he goes more into his life story. What strikes me as to how spry he is, given that he's now in his early 80's.

"I can truly say that I'm blessed, given what I've experienced," he says, making a sweeping motion with his hand to emphasize his point.

Then why, I ask, would such a man with such a rich and fulfilling life get into politics at such an age. He puts down his cup of tea and takes on an air of sobriety. "Because I love this country. Because I want to see her grow more and more. We're the second largest economy of the independent African states, but I believe we can do more."

Dawkins wasn't elected to a seat in the House of Assembly until he was in his early seventies. For many, it seemed like it was a hobby for him. For much of his time in Parliament, he kept a low profile until being promoted to Minister of Agriculture by PM MacDonald several years back. In recent years, the bright "Rhodesian Reformer" has lost the sheen of his earlier years as political and personal scandals have rocked the government. Polls have indicated that the opposition Liberals might have a shot at government for the first time in nearly twenty-years, and rumors abound that MacDonald's resignation is imminent. As such, a few names of swirled around for his successor, and Dawkins' name has come up more and more often.

"Are you saying that the current government hasn't done enough?" I ask.

Dawkins leans back in his chair, unfazed. "On the contrary, we have done so much: cutting taxes, increasing money for social services, building the high-speed railway, building bridges with Namibia. That's why I got into politics."

And about increased black representation? Dawkins notably voted against the government's attempt to expand the black or "b" rolls that added the number of available seats for those unable to qualify for the "a" rolls who were mostly white.

He places his tea down on the table before answering. "I opposed the government at that time because I believed it was unnecessary. Rhodesia boasts a growing black middle class who qualify for the 'a' roll. We now have six black MPs in government with two in cabinet. I believe then as I do now that the best way we can help the black population of Rhodesia is to encourage economic growth and acclimate them to a 21st century economy. Evolution over revolution, as it were. Increasing the "b" roll would only elect more dangerous radicals to the House, which I am afraid to say has already happened." He refers to the 2016 election where the left-wing Patriotic Front won fourteen out of the twenty "b" roll seats. While twenty is hardly influential in a house that boasts 115 members, the event seemed to validate the worst fears of MacDonald's critics.

What does the future hold for Rhodesia, I ask him.

"An upward trajectory, I hope," he says before finishing his tea. "I truly believe that Rhodesia has the potential to be a world leader not just in agriculture, but in manufacturing and technology as well."

Would that take a Dawkins ministry to achieve this, I suggest. He leans again leans back in his seat. "That's not for me to say. I couldn't possibly comment," he says with a grin.

Whether or not Dawkins can even save the plummeting fortunes of the Federal Party, led alone lead Africa's Breadbasket into a golden age remains to be seen. However, in a time of shifting political sands in Rhodesia, observers would do well to keep an eye on this octogenarian in the coming weeks and months ahead.

Dawkins and Rhodesia. Now I've seen everything!

Great work, by the way! And it says a lot how even this rendition of Rhodesia is a massive step up compared to OTL Zimbabwe. Which, to be fair, isn't really saying much.

Dawkins and Rhodesia. Now I've seen everything!

Great work, by the way! And it says a lot how even this rendition of Rhodesia is a massive step up compared to OTL Zimbabwe. Which, to be fair, isn't really saying much.

Rhodesia (which includes Northern and Southern Rhodesia, or Zambia and Zimbabwe OTL) became a republic for different reasons, namely the rapid collapse of the British Empire in the late 1940's, early 50's. Rhodesia's voting system is very similar to OTL and is not strictly racial but practically so. That being said, blacks have greater access to the benefits of economic prosperity compared to other colonial or other white-dominated states (see SA). Not ideal, of course, but much better than OTL Zimbabwe.

Rhodesia (which includes Northern and Southern Rhodesia, or Zambia and Zimbabwe OTL) became a republic for different reasons, namely the rapid collapse of the British Empire in the late 1940's, early 50's. Rhodesia's voting system is very similar to OTL and is not strictly racial but practically so. That being said, blacks have greater access to the benefits of economic prosperity compared to other colonial or other white-dominated states (see SA). Not ideal, of course, but much better than OTL Zimbabwe.

Good points, there. Though I wonder how they and Botswana (which, if memory serves right not only received Rhodesian support but later hosted some Rhodesian exiles in OTL) would react with Nazi Namibia.

Good points, there. Though I wonder how they and Botswana (which, if memory serves right not only received Rhodesian support but later hosted some Rhodesian exiles in OTL) would react with Nazi Namibia.

Botswana, as OTL, is on very good terms with its white-dominated neighbors, especially Rhodesia. Namibia is not seeking to expand its territory in Africa, per se, but it is still in Botswana's best interest to ally with Rhodesia as insurance. Both are involved in a loose economic union of sorts with both countries having access to the other's markets.

Last edited:
List of Olympic Games Host Cities, American Football at the Summer Olympics, American Football at the 2016 Summer Olympic Games
The Olympic Games

The modern Olympic Games or Olympics are leading international sporting events featuring summer and winter sports competitions in which thousands of athletes from around the world participate in a variety of competitions. The Olympic Games are considered the world's foremost sports competition with more than 200 nations participating. The Olympic Games are held every four years, both Summer and Winter games.

Their creation was inspired by the ancient Olympic Games which were held in Olympia, Greece, from the 8th century BC to the 4th century AD. Baron Pierre de Coubertin founded the International Olympic Committee in 1894, leading to the first modern Games in Athens in 1896. The IOC is the governing body of the Olympic Movement, with the Olympic Charter defining its structure and authority.

The Games have grown so much that nearly every nation is now represented. This growth has created numerous challenges and controversies, including boycotts, doping, bribery, and terrorist attacks, most notably at the 1984 Montreal Olympic Games. Every four years the Olympics and its media exposure provide athletes with the chance to attain national and sometimes international fame. The Games also constitute an opportunity for the host city and country to showcase themselves to the World.
M31BEqT.png

The sport of American football took a while before it became accepted as an Olympic sport, being largely an American phenomenon. Exhibition games were held at the 1908, 1932, and 1968 Olympics, with the third instance being a test run to include it on the international level, with the sport gaining some traction in English speaking countries. It wasn't until the 1984 Montreal Olympics was it tested as a permanent inclusion to the Olympic program.

cYLEDFo.png

The recent round of American football at the 2016 Helsinki Olympics unsurprisingly resulted in the American team taking home the gold medal. In the qualifying rounds, Rhodesia, Poland, and Quebec notably failed to qualify. Manchukuo qualified for the third time since 1988, and made a surprisingly respectable run with a fourth place finish in the standings. Ultimately, Sweden faced off against the United States in the final round, but would ultimately lose 27-18.

Mw0aGL4.png

Or6EIor.png

Last edited:
What are North China and South China meant to be?

North China is Han China mostly north of the Yangtze, with Nanking as its capital. NC is a puppet government of the Japanese Empire, and enjoys all the "benefits" that come with it. South China is the continuation of the KMT under Chiang. Both countries are effectively dictatorships.

is Ursalia otl canada or is it a split off state?

Following the end of the British monarchy in the mid-1950's, Canada quickly fractured starting with Quebec's independence in 1956. The Western provinces also seceded forming the Federation of Ursalia under the leadership of Ernest Manning and his ally Tommy Douglas. The Maritimes formed their own republic as well, Ontario being the effective "remainder" of old Canada.

What's going on with India?

The British withdrawal from India was far, far messier than OTL. The premiership of Churchill in the late 1940's resulted in harsher policies towards the INC and other groups. Ghandhi is assasinated, and more militant elements of the Indian independence movement gain the ascendancy. In short, India balkanizes into smaller states. I'm working on research for this period, so if you have any suggestions I would be more than glad to hear them.

Following the end of the British monarchy in the mid-1950's, Canada quickly fractured starting with Quebec's independence in 1956. The Western provinces also seceded forming the Federation of Ursalia under the leadership of Ernest Manning and his ally Tommy Douglas. The Maritimes formed their own republic as well, Ontario being the effective "remainder" of old Canada.
what happened with Yukon and the Northwest? I could see Yukon joining the USA and the NWT becoming an Native Republic

Tell us about Zionism

This is a work in progress, so keep that in mind when I'm writing this. A lot of this is subject to change.

Zionism takes a bit of a different direction ITTL. Labor Zionism is still a thing, as the establishment of kibbutzim happened throughout the Ottoman and British periods. However, the establishment of a Jewish state in Palestine gets an unexpected boost from Mussolini. I talk a bit about it here. In short, Mussolini opposes Hitler's anti-semitic policies, and takes in Jewish refugees as a means of spiting his former ally. As a means of securing his foothold in the Middle East, Mussolini creates a Jewish State in Palestine after the British withdraw from the region in the 1940's. Thus, "Israel" is a state in the mold of Italian Fascism (whose reputation develops differently from German Nazism more so than IOTL) with Irgun and Haganah types in power. Israel was generally recognized by most nations upon its inception, including the United States under Huey Long. Israel is, of course, opposed by most of their immediate neighbors and by Namibia, which has led to considerable cooperation between the Reich-in-exile and some Arab states.

Israel is, of course, opposed by most of their immediate neighbors and by Namibia, which has led to considerable cooperation between the Reich-in-exile and some Arab states.
Well, historically Hitler used Arabs to promote influence in the Middle East. Moreover, after the war, the Baathists collaborated with former Nazis and used the anti-Semitic rhetoric of the Third Reich.

Here's a working map of the world by 1960, subject to change. Any comments or questions are welcome.

Pf6lEHD.png
@MasterSanders, let me give you a point of question:
  • How did France grab what remains of Belgian Congo? How did Belgium broke up into two regions that are already become part of the Netherlands and France?
  • Why Manchukuo or Japan did not grab what remains of Russian Far East or I mean Primorsky Krai?
  • Is Natal independent? How did Natal got it’s independence?
  • Is the Philippines part of Japan’s sphere or remain with the American sphere?
  • How did Scotland got its independence after the fall of the United Kingdom or Britain?
  • How did the Germans had gotten back the former colony in Tanzania?

Well, historically Hitler used Arabs to promote influence in the Middle East. Moreover, after the war, the Baathists collaborated with former Nazis and used the anti-Semitic rhetoric of the Third Reich.

Exactly. Baathism, however, doesn't really take off ITTL mainly because the lack of a Soviet Union to lend them ideological and tactical support.

@MasterSanders, let me give you a point of question:
  • How did France grab what remains of Belgian Congo? How did Belgium broke up into two regions that are already become part of the Netherlands and France?
  • Why Manchukuo or Japan did not grab what remains of Russian Far East or I mean Primorsky Krai?
  • Is Natal independent? How did Natal got it’s independence?
  • Is the Philippines part of Japan’s sphere or remain with the American sphere?
  • How did Scotland got its independence after the fall of the United Kingdom or Britain?
  • How did the Germans had gotten back the former colony in Tanzania?

• Belgium ceased to exist following the Western War, with Wallonia going to France and Flanders to Germany. Congo fell under French Control, since Germany wasn't too keen on establishing a giant presence in Central Africa.
  • Eastern Russia or the "Siberian Republic" is a Japanese client state with even less autonomy than Manchukuo, Mengjiang, etc. If anything, its closer to an American "territory" or British overseas dependency.
  • Following the independence of South Africa, a movement began in the largely Anglophone Natal to seek independence. After some intense negotiations, the Afrikaner-led South African government agreed to allow for Natal to peacefully secede, if only to get rid of more Anglos from the country. (This part I may end up cutting out in the end, since it looks too much like @Kanan 's TL).
  • Japan shifted focus on a more "northward" strategy, having simultaneously vanquished the Soviet threat as well gain access to vast oil fields. They do business with the Philippines, but I wouldn't say that the Philippines are with Japan's "sphere."
  • That's touched on here, but its after the fall of the British Empire. Scottish nationalism spiked during this period and was allowed to secede during the formation of the Commonwealth.
  • As part of the Peace of 1940, Germany regained all of its African colonies and placed them under SS administration. During the Civil War, France invaded some of the colonies including Cameroon and Togoland, quelling the SS presence there. The SS leadership in Tanzania opted to defect to the conservative faction led by Goring/Goebbels/Rommel.