A Pale Horse: The Plague of 1512 (Revision)

Hi

There will be more at some point in the future. My computer unfortunately broke, and while nothing was lost, I have been unable to make any progress on the TL (because I have to borrow my roommate's computer to do anything).

I've also been searching for a job, and in this economy even San Francisco's companies are feeling the pinch. So I've been quite busy as well.

I'll resume it as soon as I can, I intend to continue this TL until the 19th or 20th century.
Look forward to more whenever you get the chance. I really like this TL. :)

corourke

Donor
It's back!

Abyssinia.lower.jpg

The Colonization of Lower Abyssinia

Emperor Gelawdewos of Abyssinia was a curious ruler. Having ascended to the throne after the suspicious, premature death of his father in 1530, he immediately executed all his brothers and sisters, which, thanks to his active father, quite a few.

It is unclear exactly how much the Abyssinian Court knew of the devastation the Horse Plague had caused in the lands to the north. They surely noticed and appreciated the sudden cessation of border raids by the Egyptian client cities on their northern frontiers. These raids had been increasing in potency in the years up before the death of Dawet II, and rumors of a large-scale invasion had been circulating.

Emperor Gelawdewos’s seizure of Massawa in 1544, four years after his ascension to the throne, seems to have been his first flirtation with expansionism. The failure of the Muslim powers to the north to retaliate seemed to embolden him, and in 1549 he established a frontier city, Yacob, in the lands to the south of his kingdom. They called this land Borania after its inhabitants, and found its highland lakes to be very accommodating.

What must have been more interesting was the discovery of the bustling economy of the great lakes region of Africa. The foundation of Yndre on the coast of Lake Nuballia around 1567 connected Abyssinia to sources of salt, ivory, and iron from Central Africa. The Empire of Kitara, a weak, decentralized state made up of trading cities, dominated this area, exporting goods to the Indian Ocean through Arab intermediaries along the coast.

Over the next hundred and fifty years, Abyssinia came to dominate trade between Central Africa and the Indian Ocean and Rea Sea. A number of cities were founded or conquered in that time, doubling the size of the Abyssinian realm. Many native states in the great lake regions and beyond were forced to pay tribute to the Negus during this time, resulting in the virtual replacement of the Empire of Kitara by the Abyssinian Empire.

The capture of Mombasa in 1664 cemented Abyssinian control of trade from Central Africa and its integration into the international trade system of the Indian Ocean. Abyssinia entered into a strategic relationship with the Empire of Oman, who relied on Abyssinia for the security of its many coastal cities along the Somali Coast.

Last edited:
Just read the whole timeline, great job! Eagerly looking forward to more. I like how you're constructing this world bit by bit-- it makes for a more detailed one, and the posts are the perfect reading size. Oh, and I almost forgot to mention the great maps! All in all, an amazing tl.

Great TL, though I agree with the previous poster that Henry VIII isn't going to go down so soon. The reasons for this are as follows:

=> Henry in 1512 is a very popular young King, so even his conversion isn't going o upset anyone.
=> The Plague happens before Henry converts and isn't devesating enough in England to merit a major political change.
=> Henry converts because the Pope has moved to France, abandoning Rome and the tomb/chruch of St. Peter, seemingly breaking the continuity of the Catholic Church and creating a French antipope, so it probably seems like Henry is preserving the faith.
=> Most people probably don't know Henry's converted as they are illiterate and the conversion won't change much in the short term
=> France is far to busy to launch a decent invasion at the moment, and the Scots will get crushed.

However, we can still have a Scotish dominated Britain if Mary Tudor has died, and Henry ends up with no heir at all.

The additional problem is that London is always going to be the most important city in Britain due to the trade with the continent.

corourke

Donor
Thanks for the comments guys.

I guess the English Civil War could be explored in more detail in a later update, but I'm inclined to just leave it as is.

I'm not sure when the next update is coming (Halloween is this weekend!) but I've just lost my job, so in all likelihood I'm going to have a lot of free time in the coming months.

FDW

Banned
I remember reading this way back when I was a lurker here, It's to see that it's not dead.

So glad to see this TL return, corourke. It really has been a while.
One comment about the latest update- I think it would be more likely for Abyssinia to expand into Upper Egypt rather than what in TTL becomes Lower Abyssinia. IIRC this was attempted in OTL, and would be of more economic interest.
Of course it's your call, though.

corourke

Donor
So glad to see this TL return, corourke. It really has been a while.
One comment about the latest update- I think it would be more likely for Abyssinia to expand into Upper Egypt rather than what in TTL becomes Lower Abyssinia. IIRC this was attempted in OTL, and would be of more economic interest.
Of course it's your call, though.

I'm glad you mentioned that. Upper Egypt is still a ways away from Abyssinia, even with Massawa under control. The Abyssinian Navy in this period is nonexistent. Upper Egypt is also populated with hostile Muslims, even if they are still reeling from the plague.

The people in the highlands of OTL Kenya are less technologically sophisticated and less populous. The area around the African Great Lakes is densely populated, but the people aren't particularly hostile to the Ethiopians because they bring useful trade goods. They also represent tantalizing conversion opportunities for the Abyssinian Church.

I just read through this whole thing at once and was quite impressed by it. Poland may avoid being swallowed by the German states and Russia; the Realm of the Incas was never conquered (at least, that's implied since the Spanish had to give up on world conquest); Abyssinia, Persia, Oman, and who knows how many East Asian kingdoms/empires appear to be on the path to equalization with Europe; and through it all Russia has been eerily silent...

Great Stuff!

corourke

Donor
The Theocratic Reunification of Spain

The Theocratic Reunification of Spain

Spain.jpg

Spain after Reunification by Juan Val IV

Borders in medieval Iberia had always been remarkably fluid. Throughout the Reconquista, changes of administration, language, and even religion were taken in stride by most inhabitants. The Horse Plague wrought widespread death and anarchy on Iberia, and much of the Peninsula was devastated. In some places, particularly in the central plains, long-term political or religious authority was effectively nonexistent for decades.

In 1617, Prince Juan Val III would die, leaving his throne to his son, also named Juan Val. All leaders of the Christogrenada were called princes, each maintaining that the Kingdom’s true King was God himself. A few years his ascension to power, Juan Val IV would ride out from Seville, and over the next three years, working occasionally in conjunction with Leonese and Aragonese allies, his armies would reunify much of the Peninsula.

The people of Iberia found in Juan Val IV a leader who inspired hope. Under the black flag of Christogrenada, Andalucians, Castilians, Murcians, and Portuguese alike once again felt God’s smile upon them. Battle after battle, city after city fell to Juan Val VI’s seemingly blessed forces. Word of the holy army soon spread ahead of it, and cities like Lisbon and Salamanca voluntarily joined the Christogrenadine Kingdom, seeing a new age of holy glory ahead of them.

christogrenada_coa.gif

The Coat of Arms of Christogrenada

By 1621, Iberia was transformed. The weak successor kingdoms of Portugal and Castile had crumbled before Christogrenadine armies, and those lands were formally incorporated into the crown. The north of Iberia remained split between León, Austuras, Navarre, and Aragón. French support of these states had been vital in the years following the Plague, and continued to be important. With French support, the states stretched along Christogrenada’s long and newly conquered northern frontier formed a power bloc that managed to balance the military might of Juan Val’s armies.

Juan Val IV was not only a gifted military commander, but a brilliant civil administrator as well. Juan Val IV codified into law the odd theocracy that his great-grandfather, Juan Val I, had cobbled together as he gained power. In Christogrenada, the concepts of tithe and taxes were interchangeable, with the Christogrenadine clergy conducting the majority of the tax-collection for the Kingdom. With the help of royally-appointed administrators, the Clergy split these tithes between the Church, the Royal family, and the different civic administrators: the fortunes of the kingdom’s many dukes, princes, mayors, city councils, and governors were all administered by the Christogrenadine Church. Oftentimes, especially in newly conquered areas where civic institutions were weak, the Church took up many tasks of civic administration, such as policework, administration of trade issues, and other civic duties.

The Christogrenadine Church’s relation with the Reformist Catholic Church was inconsistent. While the Christogrenadine Church recognized the moral supremacy of the Reformist Pope, it sought independence in economic issues, including the payment of tithes it received. This would constantly bring it into conflict with the Reformist Catholic Church throughout the next several hundred years. During this time, however, the Christogrenadine Church continued to align its doctrine to that of the Reformed Catholic Church and thus was never considered to be a true heresy.

In 1631, with most of Iberia under his heel and a huge army growing restless, Juan Val IV turned his attention south, to what had most obsessed his great-grandfather: the Moorish threat to Christianity.

Last edited:

corourke

Donor
The next update is going to take us to Japan and Southeast Asia... the New World update will probably in the context of the resumption of contact with Europe, which is coming up fairly soon.

I actually messaged Atom for input about the New World ITTL because of his fantastic work on his 5500 Years TL, but he never replied.

Essentially, the New World received the infectious diseases of Europe in the brief period of Spanish colonialism. Portuguese colonialism was limited to the coast of Brazil and simply faded away without making much impact, but the Spanish, as seen in the earlier updates, had profound effects on Hispaniola and the wider Caribbean.

So while Europe is convulsed by the Horse Plague and the Reformist Wars, the New World is going through the epidemics that happened OTL, only with a more or less complete absence of Europeans (except for the megalithic palace-building culture on Hispaniola).

When Europeans return to the New World around 1600, it's going to be a very different New World than the one they discovered in 1492...

Last edited: