A Nice Map Template For You All

Introducing Saramello's Inadequate Map Project (SIMP)

Reddit link because this website can't handle more than 4 pixels.

I like to make what-if scenarios but despise map-tracing to get historic and/or natural borders. I'm not a fan of the blank green maps, and I've tried to find map templates with pre-defined provinces (usually paradox maps) for the longest time, but I'd never been fully satisfied with the pre-defined states in any of them. So I've decided to be the change I want to see in the world and am making my own. This is a (now outdated) State Map of Kaiserreich that I have traced several dozen new states to following river borders, primarily in Europe (mainly France, Germany, and Poland). As you can see by the mess in the US I tried to do more but my hand threatened to cramp and I had work.

This is a simple PNG image, and each border is only 1px long, making it easy to paint-bucket fill your desired countries with good borders and then get rid of unnecessary internal lines with ease.

I feel that a lack of good mapping tools can be a damper on anyone making a genuinely good alt-history, as many of us painfully know that walls of text without visuals sometimes don't garner too much attention. I hope by using this I help inspire you all to keep doing what you do best.

I might do continual updates if I'm seized by another 2 hour tracing fit, but don't hold your breath, I'm terrible at commitment and change interests faster than France changes governments.

Hope this helps.

Mods, let me know if I should post this elsewhere.

Introducing Saramello's Inadequate Map Project (SIMP)

Reddit link because this website can't handle more than 4 pixels.

I like to make what-if scenarios but despise map-tracing to get historic and/or natural borders. I'm not a fan of the blank green maps, and I've tried to find map templates with pre-defined provinces (usually paradox maps) for the longest time, but I'd never been fully satisfied with the pre-defined states in any of them. So I've decided to be the change I want to see in the world and am making my own. This is a (now outdated) State Map of Kaiserreich that I have traced several dozen new states to following river borders, primarily in Europe (mainly France, Germany, and Poland). As you can see by the mess in the US I tried to do more but my hand threatened to cramp and I had work.

This is a simple PNG image, and each border is only 1px long, making it easy to paint-bucket fill your desired countries with good borders and then get rid of unnecessary internal lines with ease.

I feel that a lack of good mapping tools can be a damper on anyone making a genuinely good alt-history, as many of us painfully know that walls of text without visuals sometimes don't garner too much attention. I hope by using this I help inspire you all to keep doing what you do best.

I might do continual updates if I'm seized by another 2 hour tracing fit, but don't hold your breath, I'm terrible at commitment and change interests faster than France changes governments.

Hope this helps.

Mods, let me know if I should post this elsewhere.
Some notes for future additions:
  • Nice job! This calls for more customization. You can use the Q-BAM borderpools as a template.
  • River basins and improved river borders? The Rio Grande, for instance, could be extended further north for an independent Texas. There's also the Louisiana Purchase which extends north into Canada.
  • South America could use some of its pre-Treaty of Ayacucho borders.
  • The provincial borders in Canada and Australia need extension into the "wasteland" bits; as a bonus, numerous proposals from Canadian and US history for provinces and states can be implemented.
  • South Sudan and Cameroon need their modern borders as an extra-add on in case somebody wants to make a modern-day map.

Some notes for future additions:
  • Nice job! This calls for more customization. You can use the Q-BAM borderpools as a template.
  • River basins and improved river borders? The Rio Grande, for instance, could be extended further north for an independent Texas. There's also the Louisiana Purchase which extends north into Canada.
  • South America could use some of its pre-Treaty of Ayacucho borders.
  • The provincial borders in Canada and Australia need extension into the "wasteland" bits; as a bonus, numerous proposals from Canadian and US history for provinces and states can be implemented.
  • South Sudan and Cameroon need their modern borders as an extra-add on in case somebody wants to make a modern-day map.
Thanks! TBH I'm not planning on making it as in-depth as Q-BAM(though I didn't know that map existed, so thanks). I guess I should have mentioned this map is really only intended for French-Revolution onwards, given the minute border changes for every era will require every pixel to be a state.
As for Texas I did try. Problem is tracing a 1 pixel long line in America is way longer than doing 3 of them in Europe, making it less fun and more time consuming. I might get to it in the future, the next time I'm seized with procrastinating.