A New World Wreathed in Freedom - An Argentine Revolution TL

The future and fate of bullfighting is certainly going to be interesting: I'm not entirely convinced it would fare much better than OTL, but it's certainly possible that there would be less of a push to ban it if it's still popular and practiced in the Littoral provinces and the Collao region. If it survives into the modern day, it would almost certainly become a hot button issue, and you might even see a sort of revival in the interior of the country as a backlash against more urbane and coastal pushes to ban the practice (with banning the more violent variety probably becoming the compromise position as the Collaoan reps hold the balance in all likelihood).

I also bring a new version of the earlier electoral map, now featuring regional/regionalist parties and more reasonable margins:
Additionally, and not necessarily well connected to the map, this would be the polling in the run-up to the election shown (the polling was done before the map and I haven't really gotten around to bringing the two together):

I can imagine bullfighting would be like Japanese hunting for whales: frowned upon, but continued out of nothing but tradition.

I swear that I'm still thinking about this TL all the time, and I am (technically) still working on the "Great War" update.

In the meantime, I will continue to shower you with graphics I create while I procrastinate from writing a new update (?). Today's feature, a logo for the Liberal Party ITTL, date undefined (although like all "current day" material I've been working on, it's pretty safe to say that it's in the 2018-2022 period).

Liberal Party.png

Well, with the great yellow L plus the Phrygian cap inside of a circle with the UP National flag colours; it seems to fit with a Liberal party that also would wish to lets clear their nationalist commitment...

Well, with the great yellow L plus the Phrygian cap inside of a circle with the UP National flag colours; it seems to fit with a Liberal party that also would wish to lets clear their nationalist commitment...
The yellow L is really the only innovation I've brought to the idea: the large capital L as the party logo is inspired directly from the Colombian Liberal Party, and as you astutely note, the Phrygian cap inside a cockade with the UP colors is a nod to the party's own ties to the revolution of 1810 itself, a big, bold declaration along the lines of "we are the founding party of this nation".

I'm toying with a related idea at the moment, but struggling to picture the execution: cockades being the most common way of party logos to be seen (I think this is the case in the UK as well?). Something like this (quick mockup as I was replying):
Liberal Cockades.png

25 - Teetering on the Brink - The Web of Alliances in the stands of the 1910 Centennial Parade
Teetering on the Brink - The Web of Alliances in the stands of the 1910 Centennial Parade

As the United Provinces celebrate their centennial, the seats lining the parade reflect the major alliances of the globe: at center stage, sitting alongside the Supreme Director and the General Secretary, the British Royal Family are joined by the Prime Minister and representatives from its far-flung collection of colonies and Dominions, an the Japanese, Incan and Chilean delegations close out the main stand at the parade.

To their left, the French and American delegations sit at the middle of their own group of hangers on, with the Russian Grand Duke and the Brazilian Empress sitting alongside President Leclerc while Presidents Santamaria of Colombia and Ibañez of Perú flanked President Macarthur. The Mexican, Texan and Californian delegations huddle together at the back of the stand, the Cubans separating them from the Americans.

To the right of the center stand, the German delegation is headed by the Kaiser himself, surrounded by his Chancellor and a swarm of German princelings vying for his favor. The ailing Austro-Hungarian Emperor is not in attendance, but his son and heir strikes a dashing figure seated with his wife alongside the King of Italy and the Grand Duke of Bavaria.

It is the culmination of months of work for the Masters of Ceremony in charge of planning the parade, with a whole floor of the Foreign Ministry cleared out specifically for the task of arranging the seating. The arms race between the various great powers in attendance is accelerating at an alarming pace even as the heads of state - many of them closely related by blood if not by ideology - fraternize oblivious to the danger.

The world is a powder keg, and the world’s empires great and small are too busy sharpening their bayonets to notice the sparks landing dangerously close to the fuse. The grand show of force by the United Provinces pales in comparison with the grand armies and fleets maintained by the British, the French, the Germans or the Russians, and they’ve all trapped one another in a never-ending and ever-accelerating race to outgun the other.

Industrial output continues to boom, with record amounts of steel going into record numbers of ships, rails and guns across the globe. But as countries like the UP grow wealthy feeding the insatiable appetite for the arms race, empires come closer and closer to direct confrontation. Only one question remains: where will the war start?

Teetering on the Brink - The Web of Alliances in the stands of the 1910 Centennial Parade

As the United Provinces celebrate their centennial, the seats lining the parade reflect the major alliances of the globe: at center stage, sitting alongside the Supreme Director and the General Secretary, the British Royal Family are joined by the Prime Minister and representatives from its far-flung collection of colonies and Dominions, an the Japanese, Incan and Chilean delegations close out the main stand at the parade.

To their left, the French and American delegations sit at the middle of their own group of hangers on, with the Russian Grand Duke and the Brazilian Empress sitting alongside President Leclerc while Presidents Santamaria of Colombia and Ibañez of Perú flanked President Macarthur. The Mexican, Texan and Californian delegations huddle together at the back of the stand, the Cubans separating them from the Americans.

To the right of the center stand, the German delegation is headed by the Kaiser himself, surrounded by his Chancellor and a swarm of German princelings vying for his favor. The ailing Austro-Hungarian Emperor is not in attendance, but his son and heir strikes a dashing figure seated with his wife alongside the King of Italy and the Grand Duke of Bavaria.

It is the culmination of months of work for the Masters of Ceremony in charge of planning the parade, with a whole floor of the Foreign Ministry cleared out specifically for the task of arranging the seating. The arms race between the various great powers in attendance is accelerating at an alarming pace even as the heads of state - many of them closely related by blood if not by ideology - fraternize oblivious to the danger.

The world is a powder keg, and the world’s empires great and small are too busy sharpening their bayonets to notice the sparks landing dangerously close to the fuse. The grand show of force by the United Provinces pales in comparison with the grand armies and fleets maintained by the British, the French, the Germans or the Russians, and they’ve all trapped one another in a never-ending and ever-accelerating race to outgun the other.

Industrial output continues to boom, with record amounts of steel going into record numbers of ships, rails and guns across the globe. But as countries like the UP grow wealthy feeding the insatiable appetite for the arms race, empires come closer and closer to direct confrontation. Only one question remains: where will the war start?
Gravilo Princip: I feel cute today, I might shoot an Austrain dude....

I wanted to say this:

"Everybody gangsta until the alps start speaking criollo"

Btw what are you planning for the alternate WW1? La Plata is not entangled in any alliances as far as I know? Except for being slight pro-British.
It's more than "slightly" pro-British, like Argentina IOTL it will remain neutral to protect its shipping but will have a clear preference with the corresponding support for the British war effort. But my plan ITTL is that La Plata joins the war for similar reasons as the US, a consequence of years of unrestricted u-boat warfare and political momentum in favor of supporting the Allies.

I'm currently torn on just how convergent the TTL WW1 is going to be. I "know" that my planned conclusion is slightly more pro-Entente than OTL, but I'm still setting up how to get there.

It's more than "slightly" pro-British, like Argentina IOTL it will remain neutral to protect its shipping but will have a clear preference with the corresponding support for the British war effort. But my plan ITTL is that La Plata joins the war for similar reasons as the US, a consequence of years of unrestricted u-boat warfare and political momentum in favor of supporting the Allies.

I'm currently torn on just how convergent the TTL WW1 is going to be. I "know" that my planned conclusion is slightly more pro-Entente than OTL, but I'm still setting up how to get there.
if you like suggestions have it end similarly to our ww1 (German Defeat at the hands of the Entente) but with a few caveats that influence the next conflicts. Since La Plata, The USA and Brazil would probably be on the Entente side, why not add more countries to the central powers (Spain or Italy perhaps?)

Btw, another thing I wanted to ask - Was there a Chilean - Rio Platinean naval arms race here ITTL? Chile and UPRLP have good relations with each other right?

And any RP colonies in SEA?

if you like suggestions have it end similarly to our ww1 (German Defeat at the hands of the Entente) but with a few caveats that influence the next conflicts. Since La Plata, The USA and Brazil would probably be on the Entente side, why not add more countries to the central powers (Spain or Italy perhaps?)
Italy's position will be depending on the Habsburg's position if you ask me. Though Spain is fairly probable.

The New World countries wouldn't really tip the scales until 1917, and I'm hesitant to expand its scope in Europe because it would easily run away from me. A Great War involving Spain and/or Italy on the CP side would make France's position basically untenable as it's attacked on three fronts, with Austria focused solely on the Eastern Front making Russia's position that much more precarious as well.
Btw, another thing I wanted to ask - Was there a Chilean - Rio Platinean naval arms race here ITTL? Chile and UPRLP have good relations with each other right?

And any RP colonies in SEA?
There was a Latin American naval arms race ITTL for similar reasons to IOTL. Even if Chile and the UP wouldn't see it as a naval arms race against each other, they're also both involved in a wider naval arms race that includes Brazil and Colombia. And they all have their own particular advantages: Chile has the most powerful Pacific fleet of the lot, with Brazil's Atlantic fleet holding a smaller but still noticeable advantage over its rivals. Colombia and the United Provinces both split their fleets, with the former having a more balanced force (and possibly connected by the Panama Canal to boot) and the latter having something closer to a 65-35 split in its navy between the Atlantic and Pacific oceans.

There are no UP colonies ITTL, it lacks the capability to project power across the Pacific. Chile however might have a few more far flung Pacific islands than IOTL.
Italy's position will be depending on the Habsburg's position if you ask me. Though Spain is fairly probable.
I saw another timeline in which Italy joined the central powers because germany coerced austria to cede the disputed territories.
As long as Austria holds territory claimed by Italy, some of which it has held for centuries (and certainly for longer than Italy has existed), there's a very strong incentive for Italy to side against the Central Powers. Germany simply cannot guarantee them all their claims over Tirol and the Adriatic coast (regardless of the Entente's inability to fulfill that guarantee), and I don't think the minor territorial concessions that Germany might (though I'm skeptical) be able to convince Austria to make would be enough when presented with that alternative by France and Britain.

I'm also happy to announce that I've seemingly surpassed my writer's block and I'm making good progress on the next update!

Last edited:
First of all, welcome back!! Hope you publish the next chapter soon!

There was a Latin American naval arms race ITTL for similar reasons to IOTL. Even if Chile and the UP wouldn't see it as a naval arms race against each other, they're also both involved in a wider naval arms race that includes Brazil and Colombia. And they all have their own particular advantages: Chile has the most powerful Pacific fleet of the lot, with Brazil's Atlantic fleet holding a smaller but still noticeable advantage over its rivals. Colombia and the United Provinces both split their fleets, with the former having a more balanced force (and possibly connected by the Panama Canal to boot) and the latter having something closer to a 65-35 split in its navy between the Atlantic and Pacific oceans.
Who has the strongest army in South America ATL?

Who has the strongest army in South America ATL?
Like the naval arms race, none of them can really get too big an advantage on the other (though Chile is at a noticeable manpower disadvantage compared to Brazil, Colombia and the UP). The biggest differences between the armies is who they license/source their small arms and doctrine from: Colombia procures mainly from the United States, Brazil uses French kit, an the United Provinces resemble the UK's army in uniform, structure and equipment.

The biggest impediment to war on the continent is honestly the impossibly impenetrable terrain to get at one another: the most favorable terrain for combat between the three is the Brazilian/Platine border, and that region is crisscrossed by rivers and dotted with forts. Otherwise, the borders between the major regional powers are all mountainous or dense jungle (and sometimes both).

an the United Provinces resemble the UK's army in uniform, structure and equipment
Ah so ITTL they didn't go the Prussian route? I know that the ties with the UK are even stronger but I'm somewhat surprised they went for british kit and doctrine, from what I understand almost everyone went to France and Germany (and Prussia before them) for those.