A New Coat of Arms Thread

CoA for a 1848 German Empire ruled by the house of Hohenzollern.
(Sadly I had to compromise it)

1668362139218.png

Coat of arms of a larger Wales including the Cumbric kingdoms of the Old North:

bitmap.png

Top row L-R: Gwynedd, Deheubarth, Strathclyde, Gododdin
Bottom row L-R: Rheged, Elmet, Powys, Morgannwg and Gwent quartered

Is there a good program or tutorial to make such nice coat of arms?
I just use Paint.NET. It's a pretty rudimentary image editing program. The rest is just copy-pasting from Wikipedia and lots and lots of elbow grease.
Paint.net is very good, particularly once you learn how to use layers effectively (I use it a lot). Its limitation is that it's a bitmap imaging program, so as you resize things, they can get a bit blocky or lose resolution. That's fine if you're combining images which are all about the same size, but a problem if the original images are very different sizes. The other problem is that parts of images which are behind other parts just won't be there, so you'll sometimes have to make/draw them yourself.
So it's also worth getting a vector imaging program, such as Inkscape. You can then resize without losing resolution and usually the different parts of an image are stored separately in the .svg file so you can often extract entire elements (for example, supporters) without any parts missing.
Many images on Wikipedia / Wikimedia Commons are available both as vector (.svg) files and bitmap (.png / .jpg / .bmp) files.
If you do use parts of images from there, please do pay attention to the licence terms for each. Many are in the Public Domain, but others are licensed using various Creative Commons licences which require attribution.

Last edited:
Coat of arms of the Polish-Belarusian Commonwealth, made using SVGs from wikimedia commons

rddjlN0.png

barred version - outlined and quartered

vlo4Jpg.png

Non-barred, non-outlined version - the national symbols are grouped closer to the centre, not accurately quartered

I've made the theoretical Mobile Infantry Corps coat of arms (from Heinlein's book, not the film).
Blazonry:
"On Navy blue shield argent armed hand clenched lightnings, symbolises four elements where Mobtrooper fights: space, air, earth and sea. Under that a motto: Semper Fidelis (always faithful) and date of creation by a roman numbers (19th of October, 2132. Together with the Federation itself)."
P.S: Why so small, I honestly don't know. When I made it, it looks larger. There is no transparent background, because with it, a half of Coat disappears. So I think: better that than nothing.

CoA of MIC.jpg

City Watch CoA.png

Definitive version of the City Watch of Melza coat of arms, from my Orbis Furum (Thick as Thieves) fantasy setting.

Based closely on the coat of arms of Melza. It removes the river motif from the shield, but keeps the city gatehouse with flags, and adds an or/argent (golden/silver) eye above the gatehouse, symbolising the all-seeing eye of the law and justice, as well as adding an or (golden) sun above that on the heraldic right side and an argent (silver) crescent moon above that on the heraldic left side, the sun and moon symbolising the Watch guarding the peace both during the day and at night. Behind the shield are two crossed argent (silver) one-handed arming swords. Like the coat of arms of Melza, the City Watch CoA also carries the baronial crown of the Melzan monarchy as its crest.

You can also take a look at the ranks of the City Watch here and here, or read up on how the City Watch is organized here.

Last edited:
Some OTL Soviet 1920s Coat of arms Proporsals for ASSRs.
1. Proporsals for Bashkortostan
baas.jpg

2. Proporsals for Buryatia
bur03.jpg
bur01.jpg

3. Proporsal for Chuvashia
изображение_2023-07-01_003047721.png

4. Proposal for Tatarstan
tassr20.gif

F5YZdF0.png

Coat of arms of a hypothetical BIG Poland, done in the style of the 19th century Romanov Russia arms

Small arms going counter-clockwise:
Lithuania, Jagiello family (later used for "Ruthenia" - a new crown composed of Ukraine west of the Dniepr), Hungary, Prussia, Kazan, Georgia, Circassia, Astrakhan

Credit to the redrawn SVG russian arms on wikipedia made by "Orange-kun", the rest is all mine.

Last edited: