A New Coat of Arms Thread

The Syllanine Order was a Cornish monastic order that ruled the Isles of Syllan, or Scilly, for some centuries. The order was first organized c. 930 and formally recognized by Pope Benedict VIII in 1018.

The order used a seal from its early days that took the form of one variety of ringed Celtic cross used in Kernow, with small circles representing the isles. During the Crusading era the seal was formalized as a coat of arms, making it one of Europe's oldest heraldic symbols. It was colored blue for the sea, and the writing that had appeared around the outer ring was removed. The arms are blazoned: "Azure, within an annulet argent a cross patée-alisee argent between four plates."

Syllanine%28EtP%29.PNG

From http://althistory.wikia.com/wiki/Syllanine_Order_%28Ethelred_the_Pious%29

The new coat of arms of the Kingdom of Septimania from NG: Colonization. It is going to become an empire soon, to take account of the several different cultural areas that it rules, and I have updated the shield. However, I am still need to add an eagle as a supporter. And noticing it now, I see that there's a bit of red leaking into the second quarter...

The three Occitan crosses represent Septimania, the single Occitan cross represents Occitania, then there's the stripes of Catalonia, and the (fire-breathing?) panther represents Neustria, or Northern France.

Okay, this is a rough version of what a truly British coat of arms might have looked like if the Arms of England and Scotland had been combined along the same principles as their flags:

British Royal Arms rough.png

Susano

Banned
The Arms of the King of France from the House of Habsburg-Valois-Tudor.

Wouldnt Tudor more properly be represented by the the double-colour rose?

Also if its Habsburg-x, then why has Valois got the most prominent place? ;)

And lastly, helmet over crown? Heraldic Gah!

Hapsburg

Banned
Wouldnt Tudor more properly be represented by the the double-colour rose?
Nah. ITTL, they claimed the English throne as well, by right of the Tudor lineage. As such, they use the coat of arms of the Kingdom of England to represent that.

Also if its Habsburg-x, then why has Valois got the most prominent place? ;)
Valois = France. They are Kings of France.
Habsburg gets first name in because "Valois-Habsburg" sounds stupid. :p

And lastly, helmet over crown? Heraldic Gah!
Chivalry over sovereignty. It symbolises the values imparted by the royal family: being a king is all fine and dandy, but what is more important is to be a chivalrous, knightly person.
Yes, I did just pull that out of my ass. :D

Anyway.
For my The Glory of the Empire timeline (which I need to go and update)...
The Grand Arms of the Holy Roman Empire under the Saale Dynasty, partly designed by Emperor Charles VIII (b.1756, r.1790, d.1818) himself. The main arms consist of the Imperial Eagle with the Imperial Crown, the heads of the eagle crowned by the Iron Crown and the Crown of Henry the Fowler.

The central charge is a shield, supported by angels bearing the State Flag of the Empire, topped by a variation of the traditional Royal German Crown; the shield is quartered, with the arms of the Kingdom of Germany, the Kingdom of Jerusalem, the Duchy of Franconia, and the Duchy of the Saale. Hanging from behind is the ribbon and cross of the Royal German Order of Saint Michael, instituted in 1808 as a heraldic order for the German Kingdom and the Empire.

Beneath the shield is the motto of the Kingdom: "God, Honour, Fatherland". Surrounding the entire blazon are the arms of the sixteen Electors; top left: Wurttemberg, Bavaria-Palatinate, Saxony, Baden; top right: Naples, Salzburg, Hanover, Prussia; bottom right: Wurzburg, Savoy, Cologne, Trier; bottom right: Bohemia, Champagne, Batavia, Mainz.

Grand Arms of the Holy Roman Empire.png

Susano

Banned
Nah. ITTL, they claimed the English throne as well, by right of the Tudor lineage. As such, they use the coat of arms of the Kingdom of England to represent that.
Oh, right, Tudor is pre-union anyways, so I guess its well possible.

Of course, even more fancy would have to be the dynastical arms in an inescucheon on a wider shield with the realms arms (so, in escucheon: Comital Arms of Habsburg (red lion rampant on gold), tudor double colour rose, Valois golden lily on blue, outer shield: Austrian red-silver-red, English arms and French field of golden lilies on silver). But then, I just like ineschucheons :D

Valois = France. They are Kings of France.
Habsburg gets first name in because "Valois-Habsburg" sounds stupid. :p
Hrm, who holds the male line then?

Chivalry over sovereignty.
Symbolism aside, two shield "topis" is still gah :p

Nicely made, though, like your current CoA. Of course, it looks IMO better if the smaller shields of the realms parts are on the wings on the eagle, as IOTL... oh, and some Saale dynasty hinting at a far-back PoD, but black-red-gold? ;)

Hapsburg

Banned
Of course, even more fancy would have to be the dynastical arms in an inescucheon on a wider shield with the realms arms (so, in escucheon: Comital Arms of Habsburg (red lion rampant on gold), tudor double colour rose, Valois golden lily on blue, outer shield: Austrian red-silver-red, English arms and French field of golden lilies on silver). But then, I just like ineschucheons :D
Yes, but that would take forever to make. :D

Hrm, who holds the male line then?
Can't remember exactly. Though, IIRC, it went like Charles the Bold ascended to France, but his younger brother (illegitimate brother who gets legitimised) rules in Burgundy. Maximilian becomes King of France by adoption since jure uxoris doesn't work in an agnatic state.

Of course, it looks IMO better if the smaller shields of the realms parts are on the wings on the eagle, as IOTL...
Yeah, but I didn't want to disfigure the Eagle. Plus, the great armorial, which had all the shields on its wing feathers, is a different thing, which isn't changed ITTL. The "Grand Arms" are an expansion of the Emperor's "Imperial Arms".

oh, and some Saale dynasty hinting at a far-back PoD
The Saale dynasty is taken from his home duchy, the Duchy of the Saale, due to the fact that his ancestors rule at Halle-an-der-Saale over a small duchy around a part of the Saale river. The founding of which, I guess, can function as an initial POD.

but black-red-gold? ;)
Same reason it became the colours of the OTL German nationalist movement: they are the colours of the Imperial Flag- black eagle, red details, gold field. The eleven stripes represent the 11 Reichskreise as per the 1790 reform.

Susano

Banned
Yeah, but I didn't want to disfigure the Eagle. Plus, the great armorial, which had all the shields on its wing feathers, is a different thing, which isn't changed ITTL. The "Grand Arms" are an expansion of the Emperor's "Imperial Arms".
Eh, but shields floating aroudn randomly on the larger shield looks odd, IMO.

Same reason it became the colours of the OTL German nationalist movement: they are the colours of the Imperial Flag- black eagle, red details, gold field. The eleven stripes represent the 11 Reichskreise as per the 1790 reform.
Actually, it were the colours of the Lützow Free Corps. They then enjoyed some similarity among nationalists because its similar to the imperial colours - those are just black-gold (hence Habsburgs colours). If you count the eagles tongue I guess you can get also red out of it, but in any case without Napoleonic wars the chances for blackr-ed-yellow are slim, Id say...

Hapsburg

Banned
Actually, it were the colours of the Lützow Free Corps.
Which were chosen partly because black dye could be used on all kinds of clothing, but also because it was based off the Imperial/Habsburg flag colours. I'm just cutting out the historical middleman. :D

If you count the eagles tongue I guess you can get also red out of it,
Also the legs.

but in any case without Napoleonic wars the chances for black-red-yellow are slim, Id say...
Like I said earlier, I'm cutting out the middle-man. They are chosen because they're the three colours on the Imperial flag.

Anyway.
For my The Glory of the Empire timeline (which I need to go and update)...
The Grand Arms of the Holy Roman Empire under the Saale Dynasty, partly designed by Emperor Charles VIII (b.1756, r.1790, d.1818) himself. The main arms consist of the Imperial Eagle with the Imperial Crown, the heads of the eagle crowned by the Iron Crown and the Crown of Henry the Fowler.

Woah. Nice. Very impressive and very imperial.

The central charge is a shield, supported by angels bearing the State Flag of the Empire, topped by a variation of the traditional Royal German Crown; the shield is quartered, with the arms of the Kingdom of Germany, the Kingdom of Jerusalem, the Duchy of Franconia, and the Duchy of the Saale. Hanging from behind is the ribbon and cross of the Royal German Order of Saint Michael, instituted in 1808 as a heraldic order for the German Kingdom and the Empire.

Not to pick. But. It was always my understanding that when you put the shield on an imperial eagle, the eagle is the supporter. I've never seen anything with an eagle and additional supporters on either side. Seems like overkill. Similar with the imperial mantling: shields usually seem to be mounted on eagles, and if anything the eagle is then placed beneath the mantling. Off the top of my headthe only arms that even did that were Napoleon's (for himself and for Italy). The German, Holy Roman, Austrian, and Russian emperors used the eagle and no mantle, AFAIK.

I have no problems with the little arms all around; it seems to have precedent and it looks good.

Again, didn't mean to pick at this fine piece of work.

Not to pick. But. It was always my understanding that when you put the shield on an imperial eagle, the eagle is the supporter. I've never seen anything with an eagle and additional supporters on either side. Seems like overkill. Similar with the imperial mantling: shields usually seem to be mounted on eagles, and if anything the eagle is then placed beneath the mantling. Off the top of my headthe only arms that even did that were Napoleon's (for himself and for Italy). The German, Holy Roman, Austrian, and Russian emperors used the eagle and no mantle, AFAIK.

I have no problems with the little arms all around; it seems to have precedent and it looks good.

Again, didn't mean to pick at this fine piece of work.
Clearly, you've never seen the Greater Coat of Arms of the Russian Empire- I may be misremembering, but as I recall, you have the St. George killing the dragon shield, on an eagle, on another shield, supported by saints, and surrounded by smaller shields representing the provinces of the Russian Empire- compared to that Hapsburg's CoA doesn't look as much overkill.

Hapsburg

Banned
And besides, the "rules" of heraldry are more of just guidelines, suggestions, and aren't really hard-and-fast laws on how things should be. Even though that CoA goes against the norm doesn't mean it couldn't be done.
Obviously; since I just made it. :D

This is actualy my family'S CoA, but I only found a very low-res, bad quality pic of it, so i recreated it:
Final_Coat_of_Arms_by_KrysMegistos.jpg

If anyones interested, original is 3700 x 3100 :)

Clearly, you've never seen the Greater Coat of Arms of the Russian Empire- I may be misremembering, but as I recall, you have the St. George killing the dragon shield, on an eagle, on another shield, supported by saints, and surrounded by smaller shields representing the provinces of the Russian Empire- compared to that Hapsburg's CoA doesn't look as much overkill.

Yikes - and the saints are beneath the imperial mantle. Quite befitting the Caesar of All Russias. I wasn't trying to be a "herald nazi" - rules can definitely be bent or made up, and it would definitely make sense to devise ever grander arms to show of f one's imperial... grandeur.