A more realistic (IMO) AHC: US Metro/Regional Transit as good as in Europe.

How much of a kick in the nuts has the 'rona given public transport?

I use commuter rail but I didn't go to work for 51 weeks from March 2020, I now have a work from home agreement for 2 days a week and went back into lockdown 2 weeks ago. I'm far from the lone ranger, there is a bit of a panic in the Melbourne CBD that people just won't come back, crippling the cafes, restaurants, pubs etc, I think only ~40% of people have come back to work which I assume includes people like me who only go 60% of the time.

Vline seemed to run most of it's commuter services, but they tended to decouple the 2 x 3 car trains and run them as single car car sets. Even through we were free to return to work back in March 4 months later in June the trains are far from full.
I'd recommend putting this comment in the Urban Planning/Transit megathread, and there are a lot of posts about this there already, but suffice to say the bus schedules have been cut back which made it even harder to use them here.

<snip>

I think Milwaukee, Racine and Kenosha could be all hooked up together using light rail, trams, and busses and with fairly frequent schedules.
OTL Wisconsin Coach Lines
If you somehow could get Wisconsin and Illinois to have some kind of agreement (very difficult) you could even hook it up with the Chicago area (which also could build up its mass transit,
OTL Metra UP-N
Instead of having a highly expensive (and probably doomed to be uncompleted) HSR from SF to LA you could have two regional systems: One in the LA/SD area
OTL Metrolink and Coaster
and another SF/Oakland.
OTL BART
Any others you can think of and how do you see them hooking up?
Portland-Seattle-Vancouver (extend Sounder)
Austin-DFW (new rail line)
Tuscon-Phoenix? (new rail line)
Omaha-Lincoln (express bus)
Fargo-Grand Forks-Winnipeg (express bus)
Des Moines-Ames (express bus)
Green Bay-Appleton-Oshkosh-Fond du Lac (express bus)
I don't know enough about the South or East to suggest anything there

Paradoxer

Banned
B
People seem to be wrapped up in HSR because they are more "modern and shiny" but they are very much a niche in the US. Outside the NEC (and a few small areas) the US simply doesn't have remotely the population density to support it. Metro transit is far less of a niche. Although cities are too spread out for HSR in the US there are still a lot of cities in the US and the population there is dense enough for them to be used heavily and track to be "wasted" by mile after mile of places with zero passengers.

I think Milwaukee, Racine and Kenosha could be all hooked up together using light rail, trams, and busses and with fairly frequent schedules. If you somehow could get Wisconsin and Illinois to have some kind of agreement (very difficult) you could even hook it up with the Chicago area (which also could build up its mass transit, Instead of having a highly expensive (and probably doomed to be uncompleted) HSR from SF to LA you could have two regional systems: One in the LA/SD area and another SF/Oakland. Any others you can think of and how do you see them hooking up?
You could get this along coast and major urban center. Public transportation usually got gutted during process of de industrialization and railways focused on transportation on materials instead of people.

Suburbs often would not want these because it does make it easier for homeless, out of district student(kids from outside of suburb or who parents don’t contribute taxes to it going to suburb nicer schools), and lower class to come loiter or beg in these areas. Suburbs in my area will even try to keep out “trailer park and ghettos” by immediately tearing down old or cheap housing usually after older people past to replace it with much nicer housing even if zero lot just so property value goes up and lower income from rural or city don’t move in.

Additionally, access and revenue to buy car in US is easily more so then anywhere in world especially during this time especially for larger vehicles. The transits would need to be restricted to urban centers and neighborhoods while few that leave metropolitan area are bullets to other large cities or metropolitan areas. After 911 I could see train transportation boom due to convenience and price compared to airport.

Well if you live in a town of 300 in the middle of Idaho (or whatever) then any sort of public transit isn't going to make it.
There's daily bus service that I used take, a few times a year, between a town of 2000 and a city of 1.5 million, with stops at a town of 40000, 30 km away and another, halfway, of 200 thousand, for a total distance of 160 kilometres. Takes 3 hours with a rest of 20 minutes in the middle and with a film on two monitors -- one at the front and one in the middle. Comfortable, and preferable to a drive.
EDIT: Not in Idaho, in Europe, if that was not clear, sorry...

Last edited:
What state do you folks live in? My state has raised the gas tax and of course the other part you are missing is that some taxes are per dollar not per gallon and in that case those taxes have gone way way up.

In Bulgaria, it's both. You pay for the ongoing registration of your vehicle (with deductions for amortisation) and the owners of the gas stations pay tax for the fuel they sell.
Edit: dangerously close to current politics, actually the definition of. I mean what I said after and subsequently deleted went close to current politics.

Last edited: