A more rail-oriented US

marathag

Banned
B) Eliminate the interstate passenger rail restriction that gives Amtrak its monopoly

Problem is, whatever group takes their place, doesn't own the rail, and need agreements with all the Class I lines to 'rent' their time on the Rails, and they will have lower priority than bulk freight
Hello Delays

And there is no way to get those Class 1s to do their own passengers again

Overall? It's not happening privately. Cross-country rail is expensive and pointless when planes will beat the long distances greater than flying from NYC to London.
What can be done is when Amtrak is made, instead of keeping all the costly long distance lines running, separate rail service into regions and focus on serving the region instead of the entire USA. There can be one or two long distance services but majority should stick to the regions, like how they do it in the NE. Splitting it up into: West Coast, Southwest, Texas, Rockies, Southeast, Midwest, and Northeast-MidAtlantic would be the best way to do it, emulating how it's done with the likes of the NE Regional.
If done regionally like this, federal intercity high-speed rail can be done (if Amtrak builds its own trackage) and there can be overlap hubs to facilitate interchange between regions which can encourage growth for that city. For example Richmond being an overlap of NE-MA and SE regional services so people can ride there from say Charlotte then transfer to continue onto D.C.

For more local rail, cities (or states like how NJ does it) can promote commuter rail as an easy way to access the city from the suburbs and exurbs. You can drive or take a bus to the station then sit on the train with not a care in the world for the rest of the trip. It saves you fuel, the time to look for parking, the task of driving (in which you are liable for anything that happens unlike just sitting on a train), and can be faster if during rush hour.

Last edited:
Problem is, whatever group takes their place, doesn't own the rail, and need agreements with all the Class I lines to 'rent' their time on the Rails, and they will have lower priority than bulk freight
Hello Delays

And there is no way to get those Class 1s to do their own passengers again

I was suggesting permission for private groups to build or rebuild private passenger (and freight?) railways a la Texas Central Railroad, sorry if that was not what came across.

That's a pretty broad generalization isn't it?

When I lived attended Fordham at their Lincoln Center Campus, I left midtown Manhattan a grand total of 8 times in 2 years. Every journey required a lot of planning as I had to figure out what subway station was closest to where I wanted to go and what time it was arriving. Then I had to figure out how long to walk for.

There's this thing called a "computer". They can do your planning for you.

The first one can be solved with all wheel drive the 2nd by an engine block heater.

1. It's all wheel drive, not all wheel stop.
2. Or I can live someplace where the infrastructure is conducive to civilization.

Mass transit breaks down too you know. Ask the people of DC

If my car breaks down, I can't simply depend on another car coming up the pipeline. I haven't saved up that much money yet. When I do, I'm buying a backup beater.

However, if a bus breaks down, I can simply wait for the transit company to bring in another.

kernals12

Banned
However, if a bus breaks down, I can simply wait for the transit company to bring in another.
That's not what happened to me when a Metro North train in front of mine derailed. They left us stranded in the middle of Westchester County.
I had to get an Uber, which is the simple solution also if your car breaks down.

That's not what happened to me when a Metro North train in front of mine derailed. They left us stranded in the middle of Westchester County.
I had to get an Uber, which is the simple solution also if your car breaks down.
A rare event like a train derailing is not in comparison to a car breaking down. One is a devastating accident, the other is something that can be fixed and I happen to know that accident- a lady stayed on the train tracks within a crossing despite the lights and crossing guards hinting the oncoming train. It wasn't exactly Metro-North's fault you were stranded.

marathag

Banned
It wasn't exactly Metro-North's fault you were stranded.
where does the fault lie then? the Ridership for thinking that breakdowns wouldn't be part of the daily experience?

Breaking down is the problem, but what the company does about it.
Many companies can get high marks, even with highly unreliable gear, if they take care of things promptly, like a replacement bus within 10minutes of the breakdown, so you are slightly late, but not stranded.

Same with Cars, BMWs can be as bad as Fiat(Fix it again, Tony) but if the customer is taken care of nicely with loaners and such, won't take the PR hit as badly.

APB20F3.jpg

Putting the total cost on the backs of users would pretty much kill off rail.
These costs cannot include the social costs of traffic jams, crashes, and air pollution. Unless the negative externalities are compensated these numbers are useless.

kernals12

Banned
These costs cannot include the social costs of traffic jams, crashes, and air pollution. Unless the negative externalities are compensated these numbers are useless.
Traffic jams are a burden to other motorists, not society as a whole. The costs of crashes are internalized through insurance premiums. As for air pollution, the costs of that are a lot less than $1 per mile.

Mass transit breaks down too you know. Ask the people of DC

Gotta give them credit though given the distance that their rail access goes. Ironically if it went just a bit farther you might be able to take the Metro to a few Civil War battlefields.

*Original post presumed OOC, sorry

Last edited:
where does the fault lie then? the Ridership for thinking that breakdowns wouldn't be part of the daily experience?

Breaking down is the problem, but what the company does about it.
Many companies can get high marks, even with highly unreliable gear, if they take care of things promptly, like a replacement bus within 10 minutes of the breakdown, so you are slightly late, but not stranded.

Same with Cars, BMWs can be as bad as Fiat(Fix it again, Tony) but if the customer is taken care of nicely with loaners and such, won't take the PR hit as badly.
In the case provided, the person who stayed on the train tracks? Have you seen what happened to the train after it hit the car?

1280px-Metro_North_accident_at_Valhalla%2C_NY_-_1.jpg

This is not a "breakdown" by a mechanical definition of the word.
And Metro-North wasn't expecting such a thing to happen. Where it happened was around 20 miles out from NYC, which may not seem far but during rush hour that's a tough distance. Getting the MTA to send buses was not easy but they did eventually get there. No company is perfect when an accident happens because all the planning in the world can't prepare you for the unexpected.
On related note, Metro-North and LIRR have some of the most reliable trains in the MTA: over 200,000 thousand miles between breakdowns for the LIRR and 190,000 miles for the Metro-North.

Traffic jams are a burden to other motorists, not society as a whole
I'm actually pretty sure that the collective lost productivity caused by traffic jams far outweighs the collective lost productivity to delays in mass transit. If you get stuck in a traffic jam you can't simply supplement with other forms the way yu can with mass transit - not when doing so would require you to leave the most expensive thing most people own in the middle of a city.

kernals12

Banned
A rare event like a train derailing is not in comparison to a car breaking down. One is a devastating accident, the other is something that can be fixed and I happen to know that accident- a lady stayed on the train tracks within a crossing despite the lights and crossing guards hinting the oncoming train. It wasn't exactly Metro-North's fault you were stranded.
That accident wasn't the one that stranded me. It was 2 years later and was caused by a tree falling on the tracks.