A More Perfect Union: An Alternate History of the Land of the Free

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: Before 1900' started by HeX, May 22, 2019.

1. 46566 Active Member

The reason I could see Germany Vs America at this time it seems the US controls the Americas either directly or with friendly Nations. This could make the US more economically powerful in the future. Germany could favor eastern Europe and the Balkan Nations after WW1 when/if the Turks back France and England. With the Turks and the Russians losing a potential WW1 Germany could build it's own power base.
    Brazil is to close to America to be the one stabbing the US in the back. China while big gains more by being neutral between the two groups.

Simeon, HeX and Ameroboto like this.
  2. DTF955Baseballfan 12-time All-Star in some TL

Say, I just searched and didn't see Charles Dickens - did he wind up coming to the US? It'd be a shame to miss his works because Americans just don't like a lot of British things. Especially "A Christmas Carol."

Ameroboto and Ironshark like this.
  3. HeX Self-Proclaimed Disney Expert

Charles Dickens' works are just as popular in the US as IOTL, same can be said for H. G. Wells' stuff. I'd say that even though the US and UK hate each other, that's not going to stop people in the US from liking British entertainment. The reverse isn't so true, because the Brits are a much ruder and meaner people ITTL, and American literature and entertainment doesn't do too well in Britain, France, and Spain.

4. Samsara123 Well-Known Member

China obviously, I think this America will be getting pretty leery at the prospect that it wants to rule over all of asia no matter what its neighbors opinions on the matter are, this America emphasis countries rights to self determination so if they go full co-prosperity sphere without any of the benefits I can see America putting on the same sanctions they did with imperial Japan

5. Whiteshore Defender of Myrcella Baratheon

A non-ideological power struggle as opposed to an ideological conflict?

6. SavoyTruffle I am the modren man

Just read through this - have to agree about how this is the light mirror to What Madness Is This?.

China seems the likeliest of America's allies to go off on its own, I concur.

As for HG Wells, wouldn't his political stands be more palatable to Americans? After all, he was fairly left-leaning IOTL, and England is beginning a slow but steady slide towards the far right ITTL.

7. Born in the USSA Well-Known Member

No fun
    *heckles in non-denominational hyperpartisan*

8. Whiteshore Defender of Myrcella Baratheon

Well, a non-ideological power struggle might make a nice plot twist for the nature of this Cold War.

9. theg*ddam*hoi2fan Beware of the Leopard

Under a bridge, handing out business cards
    Well then it's not really a Cold War, is it? It's more like the Great Game between Russia and Great Britain - competing for influence and keeping an eye on one another, but also still capable of cooperating when need be and having relatively civil relations.

Something like OTL's Cold War is really only possible when the difference is ideological. Otherwise, the two sides would be more inclined to compromise than risk fighting.

10. Andrew Boyd Resident Rail Enthusiast

Is the UK a constitutional monarchy like OTL? Or an absolute monarchy? I assume the latter given how often Queen Victoria is mentioned.

11. HeX Self-Proclaimed Disney Expert

It's still a constitutional monarchy. I just mention Vicky a lot because it's too much of a hassle for me to come up with alternate British PMs when all I'd wind up doing with that list is name dropping a few of them. When the PM plays a big role, I'll mention them, as I did during the Civil War, but I can't be bothered to do that much research for such little payoff.

12. volantredx Well-Known Member

I mean the UK has been a constitutional monarchy in at least some way since the time of King John, so it's unlikely they completely got rid of that. I think it's more of an effect over how dominate a personality Victoria was culturally and politically that she's basically the voice of England at the time.

rjd1997, Cryostorm and HeX like this.
  13. SavoyTruffle I am the modren man

Also, I take ITTL hasn't had memorable PMs like Gladstone and Disraeli who would take some of the spotlight off of Vicky.

14. HonestAbe1809 Abraham Lincoln 2020

Maybe a character named Mortimer Mouse, Mickey's original name, could be Oswald's version of Pete? One of Oswald's catchphrases could be shouting "you dirty rat!" at Mortimer.

Ameroboto likes this.
  15. HeX Self-Proclaimed Disney Expert

Interestingly, Pete actually predates Mickey and Oswald. Pete dates back to Walt's original 1920s Alice Comedies, where he appeared as Alice and Julius the Cat's main enemy all the way back in 1925. He was initially a bear, then became a cat later to fit in as Mickey Mouse's rival. Pegleg Pete is the most butterfly-resistant character of the Disney pantheon, IMO, so he'll remain a villain. I think that Oswald ITTL will take on OTL Mickey's squeaky-clean appearance, and the mouse will be TTL's version of Donald Duck. The actual Donald Duck character will be something of an anti-hero. Picture Loki from the MCU, as someone who you're never sure which side they're on, and you've got a good idea of Donald ITTL. Goofy, meanwhile, will remain in his beta form as Dippy Dawg, and will only achieve a fraction of his OTL glory after being booted out of the Terrific Trio, now consisting of Oswald, Mickey, and Donald.

46566, Narissa, Simeon and 3 others like this.
  16. Cryostorm Monthly Donor

So instead of three circles it will be a circle and two ovals that rules the world, at least the one of western animation.

HeX and Andrew Boyd like this.
  17. HonestAbe1809 Abraham Lincoln 2020

So TTL Goofy/Dippy Dawg is a secondary character phased out without any fanfare? Maybe he's resurrected much later like how characters like Horace Horsecollar were brought back after falling into obscurity for decades.

I like to think that Clarence Nash still does Donald, but in a different way. His trademark being uproarious laughter at his pranks rather than the volcanic temper of his OTL counterpart. He's a classic trickster. He's just as at home wutg teaming up with Oswald as he is with pranking Oswald and company. Whichever is funnier to him. Not to mention siding with Oswald when the villain's antics affect him personally because his ego would be bruised.

You're probably looking forward to when you can include TTL's Disney parks.

46566, Andrew Boyd and HeX like this.
  18. SavoyTruffle I am the modren man

So if a certain Japanese gaming company still goes the same path ITTL, we could see TTL's answer to Kingdom Hearts with Oswald as a Keyblade master. :D

19. Alexei Filipino Frick-Frack

On the topic of which, whats Nintendo going to do with a slightly more imperialistic yet not as inhumane Japan? Is it going to have a bigger impact or about the same? Saying this as a Nintendo Fanlad.

Simeon and Ameroboto like this.
  20. generalurist Map Staring Expert

Time for some predicting:

Hex has already told us that OTL'd major Canadian cities are going to be devastated and fail to recover from it by the present day. Yet given the USA doesn't seem like it will have trouble with Canadian nationalism in WWII, this suggests the Canadians wouldn't make such a self-sacrificing resistance themselves, and we know the USA isn't going to indiscriminately bomb civilians. So what I predict is this: When World War 1 happens Canada will be defended by both the Canadians themselves and forces directly loyal to Britain. Soon into the war the Commonwealth forces get overwhelmed by American might and pushed back with cities like Toronto and Ottawa cut off and surrounded. The Canadians will try to surrender... but their British masters will not let them, being unwilling to surrender their last North American foothold to the Yankees, and insist on a defense to the last man. In the process, Canadian cities are decimated. This provokes widespread anti-British resentment by Canadians who blame them for their homes getting destroyed, and consequently leads to them being much quicker to accept American rule that they otherwise would have been.