A More Perfect Union: An Alternate History of the Land of the Free

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: Before 1900' started by HeX, May 22, 2019.

1. HeX Self-Proclaimed Disney Expert

There is going to be a Cold War, known as the Phantom War ITTL. It will pit the United States against one of its main allies (Brazil, Germany, and China) in the wake of World War II, and will last even longer than OTL. Feel free to place your bets now on who will betray the US of A.

2. Israel_Dan the Man Well-Known Member

China. They hate all Westerners (can't blame them), and they will eventually think "hey, how do we know that the US won't just betray us like the other Western countries?" and they will try to gain their title which was theirs for 2000 years: the largest economy in the world.

Also, I wish I could've responded to some of the earlier awesome updates, but I had to drive for hours to Philadelphia since I had a college interview at the university I want to go to (Swarthmore). I hope I get in!

3. eldandythedoubter Well-Known Member

Anything like this?
    [​IMG]

4. Unknown Member

I'm guessing either Germany or China; both have the superpower capability to go toe-to-toe with the US...

Simeon and HeX like this.
  5. farmerted555 Well-Known Member

Brazil, because why not?

6. Cryostorm Monthly Donor

Probably China due to disagreements on how to handle South Asia, East Asia and the Pacific, particularly Japan, Vietnam, & Philippines. The US is going to want them be free and independent republics while China is going to insist on having them more as vassals or satellites, especially the first island string. Though I think whoever it is will need to either not be a Democracy or have a much different societal view on how the world should work

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  7. soulpelt Active Member

I can't wait to see what becomes of HP Lovecraft.

8. Albert Blake Gott Mit Uns

Brazil would put an interesting spin on spheres of influence in Latin America.

Ameroboto, Simeon and Whiteshore like this.
  9. Whiteshore Defender of Myrcella Baratheon

Brazil would be a nice plot twist here.

10. Ismaili777 Well-Known Member

I think China, because Germany will likely be undergoing decolonization, Brazil might not have quite the manpower, but China does.

AeroTheZealousOne likes this.
  11. Ismaili777 Well-Known Member

Keep in mind decolonization might occur post wwii for Germany.

Simeon likes this.
  12. 46566 Active Member

I'll go with Germany if something like the EU was planning to be formed in Europe. They might be more of a reason to be pro European in nature.

Joriz Castillo and Ameroboto like this.
  13. Brandon Sniadajewski Well-Known Member

I'll say China, for reasons stated above. They have the manpower to stand up to the US.

Ameroboto likes this.
  14. Goldwind2 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't go with germany because Germany because let the egale scream shadow war was between America and Germany. Also I got a could idea for Gemrany's WW2 President, Hams Litten (here's a link to his wiki page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Litten). Litten was progressive lawyer who supeaded hittler as wittness in a 1931 case of nazi goons beating a man. Litten caught hitter in a case of perjury. After hittler took power he had litten sent to a concetiron camp.

15. Goldwind2 Well-Known Member

I remember that Japan tried claiming Madagascar at the Berlin Conference. IF japan is an American ally during ww1 but changes sides in ww2 then I would japna filling liking that they didn't enough terroity at the end of ww1 would probably be a factor. I am found of the idea of maddasgar being giving to china after ww1. I am sure Japan would see that as an insult

16. AeroTheZealousOne Forever in debt to your priceless advice

America v. Germany is very reminiscent of Let The Eagle Scream! as well as some people's headcanons of Kaiserreich. America v. China sounds pretty close to Current Politics but that might be a stretch depending on perspective. America v. Brazil... I've never heard of such a TL, but Brazil looks too close to the good 'ol United States to do such a thing. But who knows?

It's sad that at least one of the four big friends who are embracing democracy in various spoonfulls will have to part one day, but all good things must come to an end in fifty year's time, don't they...?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  17. PNWKing There's Still Hope Out There!

America vs. Germany would be interesting.

Ameroboto likes this.
  18. Ismaili777 Well-Known Member

I actual think german Cold War is possible should Germany successfully integrate mittelafrika as an autonomous ally of sorts.
    You know, independent but still German aligned, probably formally via some union and recognizing the emperor of Germany.
    That’s the only way I see it as possible, and it is a stretch but not impossible.
    China is still the leading candidate in my opinion.
    Brazil I will simply be humble and openly say I lack the knowledge to judge the chances it has at all.

19. Ironshark Well-Known Member

I am betting on China

Judging how this story goes I don’t really think it will be a conflict or legit end of friendship as much as a competition where all kinds of morally iffy stuff is allowed and the America will probably still have a Good relation with the loser afterwards

I do wonder what the two ideologies competing will be

HonestAbe1809 likes this.
  20. Born in the USSA Well-Known Member

Republican Spirit vs. some form of Neolegalism?