A More Perfect Union: An Alternate History of the Land of the Free

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: Before 1900' started by HeX, May 22, 2019.

1. HeX Self-Proclaimed Disney Expert

Yeah, plus if we reinstated the draft today, in 2019, you'd probably see protests on the level of the Vietnam War overtake Washington. Imma drop the subject now, I think we're skirting the edge of current politics now.

dakkafex likes this.
  2. HeX Self-Proclaimed Disney Expert

Here, what do people think of "Shadow War" versus "Phantasm War"? (Phantasm because the actual war between the two main powers is non-existent, and therefore an illusion.)

Ironshark, Simeon and AkulaKursk like this.
  3. The Hawk Radical Centrist and Slayer of BS

The Silent Struggle? The Silent War?

4. HeX Self-Proclaimed Disney Expert

See, the problem there is that there's a lot of noise to be had in a cold war, what with all the proxy wars and military parades and missile and rocket tests...

Simeon and Alexei like this.
  5. The Hawk Radical Centrist and Slayer of BS

True true, also Phantasm War is a pretty unique idea and it sounds way better than Shadow War

Ironshark and HeX like this.
  6. Alexei Active Member

What of the Slavs that they Inherited from the Austrians? I'd imagine Serbia would be hungry for more Coastline innit.

7. Whiteshore Defender of Myrcella Baratheon

Anyways, how are Scottish and Welsh people seen in TTL's America? Churchill's speech in the OP suggests that TTL's America by 1940 sees them as people who deserve freedom from English tyranny as he refers to "England" and not "Britain" as America's enemy.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  8. Alexei Active Member

State of Scotia?

9. Whiteshore Defender of Myrcella Baratheon

I was thinking more "Republic of Scotland" and "Republic of Wales" with that as loyal American allies grateful for liberating them from English tyranny.

10. Alexei Active Member

I guess a Couple territories in the Shetlands/Isle of Man and the independence of Scotland, Wales and perhaps Cornwall could work.

Edit: Idea for Celtic/Pictish union popped up, but that'd probably get shot down quickly.

HeX and Whiteshore like this.
  11. Rhesus2 Member

Maybe Phantom War instead of Pantasm? The extra syllable in Phantasm makes the phrase sound a bit clunky.

Ironshark, Simeon and HeX like this.
  12. Whiteshore Defender of Myrcella Baratheon

How are the Ottomans faring compared to OTL? Are they better off or worse off?

13. Goldwind2 Well-Known Member

How about quite war, hollow war or the diluted war

14. HeX Self-Proclaimed Disney Expert

Sorry I forgot to mention this in the actual post (I was just really excited when writing it and it slipped my mind) but during the Banana Wars, Brazil finally liberated Cisplatina and set up the Republic of Uruguay there.

15. soulpelt Active Member

Yasss Native American goodness. Man gonna be so much good music and movies with their influence. Some of their creation myths are wild and if put into Film form? Yasss.
    Will Tesla get his own chapter?

Praying_to_a_gof and Ameroboto like this.
  16. HeX Self-Proclaimed Disney Expert

You'll notice Churchill used both England and Britian in the same sentence there. That's because--like most Americans--he uses the terms interchangeably. Nothing too special there, all of Great Britian is going to get caught up in Vespasian tomfoolery.
    The Phantom War it is, then!
    The Ottomans are roughly the same, but they're going to see a lot of nationalist uprisings in the 1880s and 1890s not only in the Balkans, but the Caucasus too. And since the US is a huge fan of popular sovereignty... let's just say the Sultan won't be flying the crescent and star next to the stars and stripes.
    Tesla might, or he'll be mentioned in one of the many Gilded Age chapters I have planned. With racial and sexual equality achieved, the United States is moving on to equality in the workplace, and will do so while narrowly avoiding Communist uprising at every turn.

The Gilded Age is gonna be great.

17. Unknown Member

If there is a Columbus Day ITTL, have it named Discovery Day instead, because of...well, Columbus' unpopular reputation in many circles...

Yeah, the Native Americans are going to help enhance films, music, etc...

BTW, good update, and like how, while the US is not perfect ITTL, it's better at this point in history than at this point IOTL; I'd like to live in TTL's present day...

18. HeX Self-Proclaimed Disney Expert

Christopher Columbus will see less cultural recognition ITTL, especially in America. For instance, the Columbian Exposition won't be held in the US ITTL, but rather some Latin American nation.

Believe me, so would I.

19. Minchandre Well-Known Member

Probably the first and last time someone will write that on this board without being sarcastic.

20. AeroTheZealousOne Forever in debt to your priceless advice

Let The Eagle Scream! used it, and I almost stole borrowed it with no intent on returning it. Might retcon that, but I digress.

British-Ottoman alliance when? :p
    And the Balkans might soon be free? *Hej Sloveni intensifies*