A More Perfect Union: An Alternate History of the Land of the Free

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: Before 1900' started by HeX, May 22, 2019.

1. Ameroboto Deep State Bad Hombre

I can't wait for President Churchill to end the feud with Great Britain once and for all by crossing the pond and annexing the entirety of the British Isles as the U.S. states of England, Northumbria, Scotland, Wales and Ireland. :evilsmile:

2. Cryostorm Monthly Donor

Another thought I just had is that Theodore Roosevelt could be the person who brings young Churchill into politics,sort of like Washington and Hamilton. Maybe by Theodore and Randolph meeting in government and becoming friends.

3. Cryostorm Monthly Donor

If they make them states then likely split them up even more, maybe each Irish region gets a state and England and Scotland broken down regionally as well.

4. theg*ddam*hoi2fan Beware of the Leopard

Under a bridge, handing out business cards
    Then this won’t ever be a thing...

5. Ameroboto Deep State Bad Hombre

You mean something along the lines of this:

[​IMG]

6. HeX Self-Proclaimed Disney Expert

I was waiting for someone to bring that up. It's an unfortunate casualty, as that is literally one of my favorite songs of all time, no joke. But, well, when weighing a better life for generations of oppressed peoples versus a great rap battle... one of them's gotta go, and it's pretty obvious which one should.

7. Albert Blake Gott Mit Uns

You could still have it to see who wrecked Britain more in their presidential terms.

8. Whiteshore Defender of Myrcella Baratheon

I guess we know what Britain's *fascist party will call themselves.

9. Goldwind2 Well-Known Member

I am glad alot of people like this idea
    Fidel perfected playing baseball.

10. Corporal Tommy Active Member

So instead of an destroyer named USS Winston Churchill, we will see an aircraft carrier by that name.

Also, will this means we will have John "Mad Jack" Churchill in the US Marine Corps?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    Simeon, NAF, HeX and 2 others like this.
  11. DTF955Baseballfan 12-time All-Star in some TL

I love how you got Churchill to the U.S. - he and Teddy Roosevelt would be good friends.

As to his job, remember that he was a masterful writer and historian, too- wouldn't surprise me if he got into academia somehow first, maybe he writes a famous book on how America has taken over the position Britain once held as the defender of freedom in the world (Magna Carta, Glorious REvolution and freedoms establshed with it, etc.) It would be a good way for him to thumb his nose at the British.

This could get him noticed by Roosevelt in the early 00's whie in his early '30sand Roosevelt could then convince him to get into politics. It would be a good ATL alternative to his OTL History of the English Speaking Peoples.

Castgro should be a baseball player, he was offered a minor league contract OTL, as a pitcher, but doesn't seem to have been a superstar; but who knows with the right coaching. 350-400 wins sounds a bit ASB or he'd have been in the bigs anyway with that kind of talent, but if he got the right tutoring and developed his pitches better I could see 200-250.

12. HeX Self-Proclaimed Disney Expert

Most certainly.

Unfortunately, no. Despite the similar sounding names, "Mad Jack" Churchill is of no relation to Winston, and will still be British.

I can see Winston writing a series similar to A History of the English Speaking Peoples, but it instead focuses on unalienable rights and how the people of Great Britain lost its rank as the defender of liberty following the Seven Years War, it then switching to the American Colonies. It could be called Passing the Torch: A History of Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness, or something.

Not sure if I'm gonna do anything with Castro. And from what Snopes says, I'm not sure he was interested in really playing baseball at all. I think I'll go the less-trodden route and shine a spotlight on an American Che Guevara than an American Castro.

13. Corporal Tommy Active Member

Huh, I always forget that fact.

14. Joriz Castillo Well-Known Member

You still gotta cover Castro :frown:

HeX likes this.
  15. Ironshark Well-Known Member

“Why England sucks:a history by Winston Churchill “

“Why England still sucks : political commentary by Winston Churchill

Why England sucks right now and should be taken down..an official memo to the defense department by Winston Churchill “

“Why England sucks and we don’t :a speech by Winston Churchill “

“ Why England sucks less now :the presidential memoirs of Winston Churchill “

16. generalurist Map Staring Expert

Based on the quote in the OP, the USA will already have Canada when Churchill goes to take down the European colonial powers. Which means there has already been a fourth American-English war, and an intense one at that, with the upcoming one being the fifth. And I thought the OTL Franco-German rivalry was bad.

Simeon, Ironshark, HeX and 1 other person like this.
  17. DTF955Baseballfan 12-time All-Star in some TL

I was going to ask how much of a rivalry it really was when one side kept losing - after all, at least Germany won in 1870 and, if you want to give credcit to the combined nations - against Napoleon. But, then I recalled that the Browns in American football lost almost 20 straight years in Pittsburgh and since their return in 1999 haven't done well against them, and it's still considered a big rivalry.

Alternity9497, NAF, HeX and 1 other person like this.
  18. Israel_Dan the Man Well-Known Member

I would kill for a HOI4 mod of this, be it during the civil war or for later in the 20th century.

NAF and HeX like this.
  19. HeX Self-Proclaimed Disney Expert

I have literally no clue about how to go about that, but the idea excites me, too.

(Though I'd probably set it around alt-WW1, which hasn't happened yet, so even if this were to hypothetically happen we'd have a ways to go yet.)

Ironshark likes this.
  20. Minchandre Well-Known Member

Canada needs to get annexed sooner rather than later. The more time goes on, the more Canadian nationalism is going to be A Thing. Even if the UK mistreats Canada and causes them to want to break away, that's not the same as being okay with American annexation.