A More Perfect Union: An Alternate History of the Land of the Free

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: Before 1900' started by HeX, May 22, 2019.

1. Goldwind2 Well-Known Member

Perhaps we will have a president form Cuba, Yucatan, Jamaica Bermuda or Azlatan.

2. Goldwind2 Well-Known Member

Chances are Fidel Castro will be a lot more moderate then otl. Does any like the idea of a moderate Castro as president of America or is that too awkward. In the latter case perhaps he would end up a baseball legend.

Simeon, NAF and Ironshark like this.
  3. Ironshark Well-Known Member

He was alive until fairly recently so might be awkward

4. Born in the USSA Well-Known Member

If you mean the "current politics" thing I thought the general rule of thumb was 2012 as the cutoff, although the fact he's stone dead would likely make it an exception

Simeon and Ironshark like this.
  5. Joriz Castillo Well-Known Member

Why not just make him a basketball player instead?

6. Threadmarks: Redemption, Part Seven: Flight of the Valkyries

HeX Self-Proclaimed Disney Expert

The House of Spencer was one of the oldest dynasties in England. Founded in the fifteenth century by Howard Spencer, the family was of grand importance in the land of Great Britain. The line fused in 1722 with that of the Churchill family, leading to the growth and expansion of one of England's preeminent aristocracies.

[​IMG]
    Spencer Family Coat of Arms

But all good things must come to an end, and in 1872, they came crashing down. John Winston Spencer-Churchill, 7th Duke of Marlborough, and his wife, Lady Frances Anne Vane, had risen to national attention within the British Empire due to their efforts in the Irish Potato Famine of 1870. In particular, the Duchess was extremely kind to the Irish people, even dipping into the family's private funds when money from London ran out. But their attention was the unwanted kind. Following the successive defeats at the hands of the United States and her allies that had dominated British politics since the Canadian War in 1812, people had begun to get angry. The failed intervention in the American Civil War--and the fact that the United Kingdom had lied to its denizens about it being a peacekeeping expedition meant to stop a potential race war from erupting--had been the final straw. The people demanded answers. And they got some. Just not the right ones.

The London Riot of 1871 was orchestrated by a far-right wing of the Conservative Party, which itself that had dominated Parliament since 1864. These radicals belonged to the Vespasian Party, named after the Emperor Vespasian, who had restored balance to Rome through power and might, following the tumultuous reigns of Nero and Caligula. They were fearmongerers, and claimed at the riot that the Irish were in cahoots with the United States of America and the German Empire, ready to backstab the benevolent Englishmen and serve as a platform to invade Great Britain. It wasn't that much of a stretch, either; many Irish-American soldiers who fought in the Civil War were first- and second-generation immigrants who flew the banner of Irish nationals, a golden Celtic harp on an emerald backing. Violence against the Irish started up again with renewed vigor soon after. And anyone who stood in their way was torn apart by an unsympathetic press.

[​IMG]
    London Riot of 1871

This was the fate that befell the once-prestigious Spencer-Churchill family. Lady Frances, who had become attached to the Land of Saints and Scholars and concerned for its wellbeing, was viciously torn to shreds, and lost all credibility in face of the voracious, scapegoat-seeking British masses. When her husband, the Duke of Marlborough, attempted to defend his wife, he was declared as "having gone soft" and fell out of political favor. Irish migration to the United States during this time doubled, only throwing further support behind the supposed Irish-American-German conspiracy. But the dynasty managed to struggle on. For a little while longer, at the very least. Until 1872, when it all came crashing down. Four hundred years of progress came to a screeching halt because of one stubborn young man and the woman he loved.

In July of that year, the Duke, his wife, and two of their elder sons, George and Randolph, took a much needed vacation to the island of Sicily. It took a load off of them, as all branches of the Spencer-Churchill family tree were seeing negative effects as a direct result of the Vespasian crusade against them. While the Vespasians held very few seats in public office, they were vocal, and made their message known. (The party wouldn't take off in a major way until the 1920s.) It was on this vacation that Randolph met Jennie Jerome, the daughter of well-to-do American businessman Leonard Jerome. Jennie was born and raised in Brooklyn, and her family showed it, celebrating the Fourth of July with enough fireworks to make one think another Anglo-American War had started. While initially hesitant to spend time with an American, Randolph hit it off with Jennie, and merely a week later, he'd asked for her hand in marriage. Randolph's parents were horrified--their son marrying an American would surely set off some alarms back on London--but they were unable to talk him out of it. Finally, the families agreed to reconvene in a month, to seriously discuss the marriage. In the meantime, Randolph and Jennie began secretly writing letters to each other daily.

[​IMG]
    Lord Randolph Spencer-Churchill and his soon-to-be-wife, Jennie Jerome, ca. 1872
    When the Spencer-Churchills returned to London, they were greeted with the sight of Randolph and Jennie's photographs plastered on the front of every newspaper in the city, captioned by the headline, "SPENCER FAMILY TRAITORS TO BRITANNIA?" An enterprising young journalist had decided to follow the Spencer-Churchill vacation covertly, and had gotten the scoop on their big secret. By the end of July, none of the esteemed lineage could show their faces in public. The ancestral home, Althorp, was set on fire by an angry mob on August 1, killing three servants inside and causing irreparable damage to the structure. With all credibility lost and one step away from a bounty over their heads, the Spencer-Churchill dynasty saw fit to uproot, drop the "Spencer" moniker, rechristen themselves the "Churchill" family, and move across the Atlantic, leaving Britannia behind forever.

[​IMG]
    Jennie and her two sons, John (right) and Winston (left), ca. 1889

The family set up shop in New York City. Randolph and Jennie would marry just one month later, at the feet of the Statue of Lady Columbia. Most of the older men, the former Duke of Marlborough included, found jobs in Washington, D.C., working with the United States government to find out all they could about Britain: her internal workings, her foreign policy, and, most importantly, her weaknesses. Randolph found the greatest success in this regard, and went on to found the Office of Strategic Services (OSS) in 1885, predecessor to both the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the National Intelligence Agency (NIA). After a year of marriage, Jennie Churchill gave birth to Winston in 1874, and six years later, to another son, John, in 1880. Randolph and Jennie had a long and happy marriage, though they nevertheless sent away their children to boarding school in Baltimore, at the newly-opened Douglass Academy of the Arts and Sciences, from elementary school through high school.

The British didn't know it then, but, given time, they would come to realize that they hadn't solved a problem in driving out the Spencers. They'd created their worst enemy.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  7. Samsara123 Well-Known Member

Winston Churchill?!

8. HeX Self-Proclaimed Disney Expert

Yes indeedy. He's set to be president later on, as hinted at in the first post.

9. Unknown Member

Oh, this will backfire on you, Britain. Big time...

Wondering how Winston was going to be president; now I know...

10. Worffan101 Ain't done nothing if I ain't been called a Red

President Winston Churchill.

This should be a HOI4 mod just for the comedy value of that one phrase.

11. Ironshark Well-Known Member

And so the moment teased from the beginning has Finally come
    Churchill is American
    ITTL someone on AH is wondering what if Churchill has stayed in England ..hell maybe OTL is a long followed thread on Alt!AH
    The Churchill quote is what got me to follow this timeline in the first place ..so I Am excited to see how this goes to say the least

So everyone bets on Churchill’s job before becoming president ?
    I am going to guess he’ll be congressmen and probably head of a military committee maybe even becoming secretary of the navy like the Roosevelt’s
    Don’t see him as an governor Or activist hey who knows ?

12. Samsara123 Well-Known Member

Seems he’s gonna hold a grudge for his family’s reputation being smeared by Britain

13. Samsara123 Well-Known Member

Just a question did anyone every heard that conspiracy theory that Hitler was the biological child of Jose Rizal(of the Philippines)

14. Joriz Castillo Well-Known Member

Absolutely not.

15. Ironshark Well-Known Member

Subconsciously probably but he won’t ever admit it out loud to himself or others
    Well depending on how he’s portrayed here

I can see a slightly more villainous (well probably wrong word but anti heroic ) Churchill ordering soldiers to use his old family home as a base for plotting the war or shutting down the newspaper that released his parents relationship once American forces have occupied England

A more heroic Churchill might take lessons from the inncdent but probably won’t make England an obsessive goal

16. Alexei Filipino Frick-Frack

How far have you planned out the TL so far? How Much 'winging it' have you done so far? Ive lurked here before, and I want to see how you make it. How much Audience Input is added in?

17. Cryostorm Monthly Donor

If Irish immigration is higher than OTL and America more willing to take them, how many Irish are going to actually be left in Ireland? Especially if things get even worse for the island over the next fifty to sixty years.

18. HeX Self-Proclaimed Disney Expert

So, right now I've got most things planned until the 1960s, though I add more everyday. What I've done is I've set up a Word document that has ideas broken up by decade, and from those ideas (for instance, my 1840s section has the ideas "Clay's First Term", "Mexican-American War Part One", "Mexican-American War Part Two", "America's Little Brother (Brazil)", "United Germany in 1848", "My Shot: The Life of Alexander Hamilton", and "Clay's Second Term" all listed) I pick and choose what to write about next. Now, naturally, not everything happens the way I've planned it, mostly because I have bigger and better ideas as I'm writing a chapter, rather than a vague idea of how I want things to go down. I decided not to write about Brazil in the 1840s, lumped Clay's time in office in with the Mexican-American War chapters, and blew "United Germany in 1848" out of the water by having revolution spread to Greece and the Two Sicilies.

When people ask questions about future events, I tend to try to not give too much away, but those questions definitely inspire me to expand on things I might have been planning to only mention in passing or even totally ignoring. For instance, I was planning on the Civil War being a much shorter segment of the timeline, but I got so many questions and so much positive feedback that I expanded from one post per year to two or sometimes three posts per year, putting a larger emphasis on William Tecumseh Sherman (initially, a lot of the focus was going to be on what I considered to be much more interesting, a version of Robert E. Lee fighting for the Union, which is why I made an entire post about his personal history and then he just kind of disappeared for a little bit). So there's some audience input, but in the end, I make the final decision on what ends up on the cutting room floor. I might not even entertain certain ideas, either, like having famous people from OTL still becoming famous ITTL even though that wouldn't make much sense given the context of TTL (Stonewall Jackson and MLK being prime examples).

As for "winging it"... there's a lot of that. Remember, this is free content I'm writing in my free time. I want things to be cohesive and, above all, good, but at the end of the day, I'm not writing a New York Times Bestseller. It's a web series on the Internet. My only payment is the cheers of a virtual audience (which is, admittedly, pretty dope). So I wing it, and use Wikipedia, a lot.

Also I should really be writing my actual book... but alternate history calls! Anyways, hope this helped!

19. HeX Self-Proclaimed Disney Expert

The British are going to put the island on lockdown in a little while. No Irish will be allowed to leave without explicit government permission, and the government will not permit immigration. The Irish are a useful scapegoat for an increasingly right-wing Britain to blame every misstep on, and if they all leave, that'll be gone.

20. Cryostorm Monthly Donor

So they are going to make Ireland a new plantation, and we thought Irish-English relations were bad OTL.