A More Perfect Union: An Alternate History of the Land of the Free

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: Before 1900' started by HeX, May 22, 2019.

1. theg*ddam*hoi2fan Beware of the Leopard

Under a bridge, handing out business cards
    Well, someone needed to post a version of this, might as well be me...

HeX and Simeon like this.
  2. Ironshark Well-Known Member

Will this is going to be badass
    I hope grant somehow still gets a good enough reputation to eventually run for President Lincoln Douglas and grant All in a row would be a dream for civil rights

HeX likes this.
  3. Unknown Member

McClellan sounds like he was similar to the commander of British troops in Malaya in World War II, Arthur Percival, in that he was a good subordinate general, but a terrible leading general (Percival did have a good reputation as a staff general, which is probably why he got the job as the commander of British troops in Malaya (1))...

(1) To be fair, Percival did have some handicaps (like the British having to send troops and supplies to North Africa, substandard equipment (IIRC), etc.) but he didn't help his case...

Kentucky and Missouri (though divided) seceding ITTL and Virginia remaining largely loyal is a twist I haven't seen in a TL; that's a unique twist, @HeX...

4. HonestAbe1809 Abraham Lincoln 2020

1. Hopefully the White House will receive periodic maintenance instead of needing to be completely gutted in about 80 years.
    2. “Remember Fort Marion!” Should be a rallying cry for the Unionists.
    3. Here’s hoping that Honest Abe doesn’t have that unfortunate incident in the theatre after the civil war ends.

5. HeX Self-Proclaimed Disney Expert

I'm planning to go into Washington, D.C. in-depth in a post later down the line, probably around 1900 and two sequels around 1980 and 2010 to show how the city and its historical buildings and monuments have changed over the years.

"Remember Fort Marion!" will definitely be a Union rallying cry. It's also the catalyst for America to stop referring to itself as 'these United States' and instead will be called 'the United States.'

All I can say in that regard is that Lincoln definitely wins a second term. I won't share anything about him being assassinated or not, though.

6. Odinson Amateur stand-up comedian

Well to be fair, he did win a second term in OTL. So the day after the 1864 election, it's a possibility he's assassinated then! :evilsmile:

HeX likes this.
  7. HeX Self-Proclaimed Disney Expert

[​IMG]
    1. Delaware (1787)
    2. Pennsylvania (1787)
    3. New Jersey (1787)
    4. Georgia (1788) (Seceded)
    5. Connecticut (1788)
    6. Massachusetts (1788)
    7. Maryland (1788)
    8. South Carolina (1788) (Seceded)
    9. New Hampshire (1788)
    10. Virginia (1788)
    11. New York (1788)
    12. North Carolina (1789) (Seceded)
    13. Rhode Island (1790)
    14. Vermont (1791)
    15. Kentucky (1792) (Seceded)
    16. Tennessee (1796) (Seceded)
    17. Ohio (1803)
    18. Louisiana (1812) (Seceded)
    19. Indiana (1816)
    20. Illinois (1818)
    21. Maine (1820)
    22. Missouri (1821) (Seceded)
    23. Mississippi (1824) (Seceded)
    24. West Florida (1825) (Seceded)
    25. Arkansas (1826) (Seceded)
    26. Texas (1833) (Seceded)
    27. Michigan (1835)
    28. Cuba (1839)
    29. East Florida (1844) (Seceded)
    30. Iowa (1846)
    31. California (1846)
    32. Pecos (1846) (Seceded)
    33. Wisconsin (1848)
    34. Lakota (1853)
    35. Hawai'i (1854)
    36. Oregon (1856)
    37. Kansas (1859)
    38. Superior (1860)
    39. Dakota Territory
    40. Nebraska Territory
    41. Columbia Territory
    42. Sierra Nevada Territory
    43. Utah Territory
    44. Hamilton Territory
    45. Indian Territory (Seceded)
    46. Arizona Territory
    47. Aztlán Territory
    48. Colorado Territory
    49. Jamaica Territory
    50. Yucatán Territory
    Here's a quick map made at the request of @Joriz Castillo, with all of the states and territories of the USA/CSA labeled so people know what they're looking at. It's kinda sloppy, but it gets the job done, I think.

EDIT: Crap, I just realized I left out Oregon. Just know that Oregon is in the same spot with the same borders as OTL.

8. SuperZtar64 Lord Protector of the New Commonwealth

Cathedral of Christ, Boston, New Commonwealth
    Hol up.

What state is Bermuda part of?

9. HeX Self-Proclaimed Disney Expert

It's a federal territory right now... which I suddenly realize I didn't mention.

10. Luminous Headwing Consulting

Hrm... This could be really pretty bad for the South in one manner. North Carolina and Tennessee had large Unionist sentiments, especially in the mountains and the foothills. With Virginia at hand, and assuming that most of the railroads are similar to OTL, they could have passage straight into Eastern Tennessee through Knoxville and down to Raleigh along with the overland to Greensboro (assuming that the line from Danville isn't connected yet).

So could be very interesting times if the front pushes past Southern Virginia.

11. Whiteshore Defender of Myrcella Baratheon

Let me take a guess, they only joined the Confederacy because of economic reasons/how their economy is dependent on states which joined the Confederacy?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Joriz Castillo and Simeon like this.
  12. HeX Self-Proclaimed Disney Expert

Yep, because Pecos, while not practicing segregation, does practice sharecropping. It's a unique state.

13. BustedMammon Member

I was wondering about this but wouldn't there be large rebellions in Native Lands down South, wouldn't this sort of screw the South over even more along with Unionists in Northern Confederate Lands. The Union also has Cuba, Jamaica, and the Yucatan closing off part of the Caribbean while also controlling the area west of the Confederacy. I wonder how the South can put up much of a battle during the Civil War then, is there some balancing thing to ensure it occurs longer?

HeX likes this.
  14. Worffan101 Ain't done nothing if I ain't been called a Red Gone Fishin'

Honestly, given TTL's optimistic nature, I would be surprised if it lasted longer than a year and a half, maybe two years.

I'd be surprised if Kentucky wasn't rife with Unionist guerillas, and the DDNs (i.e. semi-integrated natives) a major problem in the South. The Cherokee could go either way depending on how relations are with Atlanta (OTL rich Cherokees actually became slave-owners in some numbers before Jackson's ethnic cleansing, so there was precedent for an attempt to "fit in" and adapt to/integrate with white society to a degree to avoid trouble), the Seminoles are gonna make Florida Hell for the Confederates.

15. BustedMammon Member

I agree however I think the Cherokee would go against the South seeing as they tried pushing them out and basically "refused" to integrate, at least that is how it seemed when I read it. Tennessee also had Unionist support according to a post above and perhaps that could lead to interesting stories, I hope this branches out a bit and begins detailing Civil War stories.(Perhaps after the Civil War part of the timeline is finished so it can be used as short "updates" between timeline updates)

HeX and Worffan101 like this.
  16. HeX Self-Proclaimed Disney Expert

There is a very big weight on the CSA's end of the Civil War seesaw I am yet to mention, but it will make their fight better.

The Cherokee are gonna go in the direction of the North, having long since lost their fondness for the South and never practiced segregation or sharecropping.

Those short Civil War stories are a really good idea. I might just go for it...

17. Narissa Confused

Any word on good ol’ Ulysses S. Grant?

18. HeX Self-Proclaimed Disney Expert

He's going to be put in charge of the Army of the Ohio to deal with Kentucky and Missouri, both of which border his home state, Ohio. Lee will handle the fighting in Virginia and the Carolinas.

19. SkywalkerT65 Well-Known Member

When I hear 'big counterweight' my mind jumps straight to Britain. Victoria has made her distaste for the Americans clear and the British in general are still angry over the last war.

20. Ironshark Well-Known Member

I don’t see the British batting for the southit and getting Other European
    Powers involved

Now given Brazil kept slavery relatively late in OTL and Mexico is mentioned as being both the USA biggest ally and enemy depending on the time..

Either way this is the first really really big war so I am hyped