Germany and France were Europe's other big colonizers, and it showed. Germany claimed the whole of central Africa in a plan they called "Mittelafrika", while the French wanted everything from the Lake Chad Basin to Morocco. Germany also had a growing presence around the Gulf of Arguin. France, deemed a bit unstable even by its closest allies, was ultimately one of the biggest losers at the Conference in comparison to its grand ideas. Morocco was given to Spain, France was shut out of West Africa save for a tiny strip in Bénin, and Germany walked away with the jackpot: all of the Congo Basin, Kamerun and Equitorial Africa, a large swath of the northwestern coast (most of which was barren desert, but still), Namibia, and the small part of East Africa not already claimed by Britain. Algeria, Tunisia, the Chad Basin, Eritia, and Madagascar were all that France managed to snatch up. Spain, whose empire had been limited to just Puerto Rico and the Philippines following the Latin American Wars of Independence, was the unforeseen victor of the conference, unexpectedly being granted Morocco, Rio del Oro, and parts of Equitorial Africa and Somaliland. Those lands, as well as New Guinea and many Pacific islands, put Spain back on the map as an up-and-coming world power, somewhere on the same power scale as their sibling Portugal.
I'm only part of the way through reading this TL (it's probably too late to change anything about this) but I'd just say that what happens to Morocco ITTL in the Scramble for Africa seems very odd. In OTL, Morocco was the first ally of the USA, first country to recognize them, and they maintained a closeness for a long time- and I believe this was prior to the PoD, so would still be the case here- so if anything, I'd have expected TTL's America, being stronger at the time of the colonization of Africa, to try to ensure Moroccan independence and even possibly get Spain to hand Ceuta and Melilla back.

Is there any particular reason why America allowed their oldest ally to become a Spanish colony?

As far as I'm aware Morocco remained America's first ally and I can't remember if HeX said anything about this. I assume something must've happened between the 2 that tore them apart or maybe Morocco didn't support the US since I don't think it was ever mentioned. Does anybody know what HeX said about this? I think HeX probably dealt with that issue in a previous post.
I'm only part of the way through reading this TL (it's probably too late to change anything about this) but I'd just say that what happens to Morocco ITTL in the Scramble for Africa seems very odd. In OTL, Morocco was the first ally of the USA, first country to recognize them, and they maintained a closeness for a long time- and I believe this was prior to the PoD, so would still be the case here- so if anything, I'd have expected TTL's America, being stronger at the time of the colonization of Africa, to try to ensure Moroccan independence and even possibly get Spain to hand Ceuta and Melilla back.

Is there any particular reason why America allowed their oldest ally to become a Spanish colony?

Last edited:

Yeah that's pretty odd, I could also have seen it being a German vassal instead if America doesn't want to bite of more than they can chew.

Yeah that's pretty odd, I could also have seen it being a German vassal instead if America doesn't want to bite of more than they can chew.
Then again, maybe something happened to Morocco. The government might have collapsed and got subjected to Euro influence or maybe there was a falling out between the two. I think the former is more likely.

Then again, maybe something happened to Morocco. The government might have collapsed and got subjected to Euro influence or maybe there was a falling out between the two. I think the former is more likely.
Yeah fair, it just seems too easy and obvious of an option to have Germany take or influence morocco, given they nearly did in OTL and would be even more likely to here because of their presence in Mauritania.

I feel like that makes things a bit too lopsided to have Germany have Morocco as well since Spain is meant to be one of the main Entente powers. So they should have some land in Africa otherwise the League would seem too powerful.

I feel like that makes things a bit too lopsided to have Germany have Morocco as well since Spain is meant to be one of the main Entente powers. So they should have some land in Africa otherwise the League would seem too powerful.
Fair, but Spain really can’t contribute to the Entente, it’s weird that their even in it tbh and what are they going to get out of Morocco anyway?

Special Correspondence. I learn from a very high authority, whose name I am not at liberty to mention, (speaking to me at a place which I am not allowed to indicate and in a language which I am forbidden to use) — that A More Perfect Union is about to take a major step of the highest importance. What this step is, I am forbidden to say. But the consequences of it — which unfortunately I am pledged not to disclose — will be such as to effect results which I am not free to enumerate.

Special Correspondence. I learn from a very high authority, whose name I am not at liberty to mention, (speaking to me at a place which I am not allowed to indicate and in a language which I am forbidden to use) — that A More Perfect Union is about to take a major step of the highest importance. What this step is, I am forbidden to say. But the consequences of it — which unfortunately I am pledged not to disclose — will be such as to effect results which I am not free to enumerate.
Translation: America's gonna colonize Saturn.

So all you can tell us is that *something* will be posted soon.