What about Europe? They have a more or less matching climate for (gridiron) football, although can a better name come? Gridiron Football is long to type.
Gridiron football is just going to be called "football." Association football will be known as "soccer" worldwide.

What about Europe? They have a more or less matching climate for (gridiron) football, although can a better name come? Gridiron Football is long to type.
Some of Europe will participate, but other parts won't, and in any case basketball will be Europe's sport of choice (after baseball, of couse).

What about rugby football? It's a more physical alternative to association football that doesn't have the warm weather issues gridiron has to deal with due to far less padding.

Mmm, that's a very good point I neglected to consider. Okay, well, I'd say that gridiron football will be largely confined to the US north of Mexico (if Texas can handle the heat, I suppose Rio Grande can too) and the Southern Cone, and maybe some presence in, like, Australia.
You could always have it basically use no real safety equipment like Rugby. Would ironically likely keep the game safer overall as well.

Thought I had today. Francois Clemens played Officer Clemens on Mr. Rogers Neighborhood becoming one of the first African-American actors to have a reccuring role on a children's television program. There was even a scene where Clemens and Rogers both soaked their feet in a little kiddy pool together that was pretty obvious statement against the segregated pools of the time. Francois Clemens is also a gay man and Fred Rogers told him that being gay was fine with him but he couldn't be out and be on the show no matter how much Rogers wished it was different.

Considering that LGBT Rights will take the place of the Civil Rights Movement ITTL, and HeX's stance on keeping people from being butterflied if he can help it, it's entirely possible that Mr. Rogers could still have Francois Clemens be Officer Clemens on his show but instead of his character helping to give a message on civil rights and racial equality he could do the same for lgbt rights.

Thought I had today. Francois Clemens played Officer Clemens on Mr. Rogers Neighborhood becoming one of the first African-American actors to have a reccuring role on a children's television program. There was even a scene where Clemens and Rogers both soaked their feet in a little kiddy pool together that was pretty obvious statement against the segregated pools of the time. Francois Clemens is also a gay man and Fred Rogers told him that being gay was fine with him but he couldn't be out and be on the show no matter how much Rogers wished it was different.

Considering that LGBT Rights will take the place of the Civil Rights Movement ITTL, and HeX's stance on keeping people from being butterflied if he can help it, it's entirely possible that Mr. Rogers could still have Francois Clemens be Officer Clemens on his show but instead of his character helping to give a message on civil rights and racial equality he could do the same for lgbt rights.
Unfortunately the kiddy pool scene wont be able to happen since that was a specific subtle commentary on segregation in pools then extrapolating to be in general

Unfortunately the kiddy pool scene wont be able to happen since that was a specific subtle commentary on segregation in pools then extrapolating to be in general
True. I trust Mr. Rogers would be able to come up with a suitable subtle commentary appropriate for the gay community instead, although I'm uncertain what it would be.

One possibility that comes to mind is that, if certain incidents like what happened OTL with bakeries refusing to make wedding cakes for gay couples and became national news, perhaps Mr. Rogers could bake a cake and give it to Officer Clemens for him and his husband as a kind neighborly gesture. Not certain how well it works but it's the only thing I can really think of at the moment.

Given future plans for the US to gain an immense amount of land through Canada and Alyeska, I wonder if the Manifest Destiny or general "frontier" ideal will stay in place longer.

Given future plans for the US to gain an immense amount of land through Canada and Alyeska, I wonder if the Manifest Destiny or general "frontier" ideal will stay in place longer.
Manifest Destiny is not long for this world, though the frontier ideal will likely last until the majority of Canada is reintegrated as fully Americanized (really, more de-Canadized) states.

A side note, given how just... done I am with 1918, the next chapter will heavily focus on Europe and the Middle East, but since it's mostly just more of the same in Asia and Africa, they'll only be mentioned in passing comparatively.

To this point, the key pioneer for TV was Mormon, got funding from local church members, went to a Mormon school, AND all his teachers went to a mormon school. His entire staff was Mormons. So without Mormonism, TV can go a completely different way. Maybe color TV right off the bat?
Entire Staff? Are you referring to his work in Provo which I'm not sure he even would be considered to have a staff other than his brother-in-law or his work out at Berkeley after he got funding. I can find anything on his research staff at Berkeley to indicate that they were all Latter Day Saints, If so, can you direct me to the reference for that?

For those interested given the survival of Nuevo Granada TTL, an announcement came out recently that Civilization 6 is adding Gran Colombia. :)

Entire Staff? Are you referring to his work in Provo which I'm not sure he even would be considered to have a staff other than his brother-in-law or his work out at Berkeley after he got funding. I can find anything on his research staff at Berkeley to indicate that they were all Latter Day Saints, If so, can you direct me to the reference for that?
i got this information from a paperback book, and i dont recall the title. His entire staff in Provo, and much of his Provo staff moved with Farnsworth to Berkeley.

I have to wonder, because I seem to be AH.com's resident ballerina, about the state of the performing arts in America ITTL. Around IOTL WWI, vaudeville and traveling circuses/shows were popular, but Ana Pavlova performed in the US for the first time in 1910, basically bringing ballet with her, and the first ballet schools and companies were founded in the early 1930s. Broadway IOTL was popular beginning in the 1850s. Has all of this been going on, or is there some kind of counterpart? (Actually, IOTL, I doubt ballet will be a thing in America because George Balanchine might not immigrate without the Russian Revolution)

I have to wonder, because I seem to be AH.com's resident ballerina, about the state of the performing arts in America ITTL. Around IOTL WWI, vaudeville and traveling circuses/shows were popular, but Ana Pavlova performed in the US for the first time in 1910, basically bringing ballet with her, and the first ballet schools and companies were founded in the early 1930s. Broadway IOTL was popular beginning in the 1850s. Has all of this been going on, or is there some kind of counterpart? (Actually, IOTL, I doubt ballet will be a thing in America because George Balanchine might not immigrate without the Russian Revolution)
Yeah! Where's Maria Tallchief?

Yeah! Where's Maria Tallchief?
The people need to know! One of my teachers studied under Maria and Marjorie Tallchief, and went on to be a founding member of the Pennsylvania Ballet, so I gotta know. I also, rather shamelessly, want to know if my job even exists ITTL.

Speaking of Culture, what's the version of Hamilton ittl? I mean, I'd expect it to maybe have 3 acts (pre presidency + revolutionary war, during presidency, and post presidency and death), and maybe a couple songs in between the acts, since he is one of the best presidents so far (I'm pretty sure). I mean, if there can be a play about Hamilton in Concordia (from @ETGalaxy 's Dreams of Liberty) , then I'd think that this usa would automatically have one as well. Just my thoughts though

Speaking of Culture, what's the version of Hamilton ittl? I mean, I'd expect it to maybe have 3 acts (pre presidency + revolutionary war, during presidency, and post presidency and death), and maybe a couple songs in between the acts, since he is one of the best presidents so far (I'm pretty sure). I mean, if there can be a play about Hamilton in Concordia (from @ETGalaxy 's Dreams of Liberty) , then I'd think that this usa would automatically have one as well. Just my thoughts though
There will definitely be a Hamilton, though it's three-act structure would likely be the Revolution, then his time in D.C. as Secretary of the Treasury and then POTUS, then his proselytizing of Revolutionary Spirit across the country, which would probably end with the Revolutions of 1848 and death.

And, Lin-Manuel Miranda might get around to penning a sequel for Clay, or Lincoln, or Douglass, or Teddy.

Alright, folks, the "Old World" chapter I'm writing to close out 1918 is going to be considerably shorter than the last one I wrote about the Americas, and will focus more heavily on Europe and the Middle East than Africa and Asia. I'm just kind of burned out with the dullness of trench warfare and it's getting hard to come up with new ways to describe it and sound energized.

1919's gonna be fun, though. It's going to focus more on big events than on particular fronts.

Cryostorm

Monthly Donor
Alright, folks, the "Old World" chapter I'm writing to close out 1918 is going to be considerably shorter than the last one I wrote about the Americas, and will focus more heavily on Europe and the Middle East than Africa and Asia. I'm just kind of burned out with the dullness of trench warfare and it's getting hard to come up with new ways to describe it and sound energized.

1919's gonna be fun, though. It's going to focus more on big events than on particular fronts.
No problem Hex, funnily enough text books have the same issue when describing WWI. Somehow talking about how Nation A moved two hundred yards West them Nation B pushed them back two hundred ten yards east for about two years gets a bit monotonous.

No problem Hex, funnily enough text books have the same issue when describing WWI. Somehow talking about how Nation A moved two hundred yards West them Nation B pushed them back two hundred ten yards east for about two years gets a bit monotonous.
Yeah agree that there's no problem with being brief. There are obviously ways to make the First World War (or any war) an engaging story, but we'd probably want to zoom in on the little idiosyncrasies and experiences of one or two people. Since AMPU is written from a thousand-foot perspective with occasional vignettes, a lot of it is going to boil down to inconclusive conflict and large numbers of casualties on all sides.