A More Perfect Union: An Alternate History of the Land of the Free

I'm curious as to the internal divisions of Germany TTL. Are they like OTL?

Capture.PNG

Yes and no. Austria and Prussia were both split up into smaller states when Germany unified in 1848 to placate those frightened of one or the other dominating the new country. This, coupled with the separation of the capital into three cities and the intermarriage of the Habsburg/Hohenzollern lines to the point that they're essentially the same house, has resulted in the German Empire remaining balanced.

Hmm, so based on that map, OTL Prussia is split into:

Brandenburg-Pomerania (covers historical Brandenburg, East and West Pomerania)
Prussia (covers West and East Prussia)
Silesia (presumably merged with Austrian/Czech Silesia)
Rhineland (covers Rhine Province and Westphalia)
Hohenzollern

OTL German Austria + Bohemia is split into:

Austria proper (Lower and Upper Austria, most of Carinthia and Styria)
Tyrol
Carniola-Littoral (remainder of Carinthia, Styria, Carniola, Austrian Littoral)
Sudetenland (German-speaking parts of Bohemia)
Bohemia-Moravia (Czech-speaking parts of Bohemia)

The rest I assume is largely the same, including Liechtenstein and Luxembourg.

How'd they get Alsace-Lorraine, though?

How'd they get Alsace-Lorraine, though?
In TTL's equivalent of the Franco-Prussian War (aka the Franco-German War):

Does France suffer from the population stagnation they had IOTL or do they have a population that is "acceptable", like 50-60 million?

Seriously, their population stagnation for the whole 19th century was disgraceful IMO.

Does France suffer from the population stagnation they had IOTL or do they have a population that is "acceptable", like 50-60 million?

Seriously, their population stagnation for the whole 19th century was disgraceful IMO.
Less stagnation and more them hitting the demographic transition earlier than the rest of Europe, which falls in with the fact that they had a sizable population lead for the Early Modern Period.

And Hungary. speaking of which, what's the situation of the Czechoslovaks, which are still entirely under German and Hungarian subjects?
The Czechs in Bohemia are happy with their position at the moment, the Germans don't force much of anything down their throats. Learning German is a requirement if a Czech wants to succeed in life, but their own native language is still widely used, even more than German in Bohemia. In the years to come, we may even see a reverse-Sudetenland happen, with Czechs expanding their influence into some of Bohemia's immediate neighbors.

The Slovaks in Hungary aren't mistreated, but during and immediately after the Grand War a resurgence in Slovakian nationalism will arise, seeking a peaceful separation of the region from the rest of Hungary. But what will come from that, I can't tell you yet...

I wonder what this timelines version of ttl would be. How would they make their america even more ideal?
Probably by ending slavery either during the Revolution or as a part of the Constitution. Hamilton would replace Adams as the second president and might stick around for three terms and boot a redeemed Jefferson down to being elected in '08. The Canadian War would probably be more successful, and I feel like the US would intervene in the French Revolution to keep around a republic, if styled more around the US. Lafayette could be their first president.

And, of course, the British Empire would likely see a swift death.

I've been wondering how I would explain OTL to someone from this timeline. So many things would set off their dystopia alarms. Our two parties being called the Democrats and the Republicans, the Civil Rights Movement being pawned off to some rando named Marty, the existence of Canada, the list goes on and on. How would I even convince them this isn't the worst possible timeline?

OTL isn't the worst possible timeline, right? Right?

I've been wondering how I would explain OTL to someone from this timeline. So many things would set off their dystopia alarms. Our two parties being called the Democrats and the Republicans, the Civil Rights Movement being pawned off to some rando named Marty, the existence of Canada, the list goes on and on. How would I even convince them this isn't the worst possible timeline?

I think @Napoleon53's work shows that it isnt

OTL is, as far as things go, middle-of-the-road. A lot of bad stuff happened, but a lot of good did, too.

The worst possible timeline is probably total nuclear annihilation or a 1984 situation. Even WMiT has a few halfway-decent human beings in it.

The grimmest TL I know of is a Paradox grand campaign where Jerusalem survives the Middle Ages.

It seems fine until the 20th century, then the epilogue plunges head first into nihilistic territory, with humanity going extinct by 1972.