A More Imperfect Union: A History of these United States

From an outsider's perspective in-universe (I.E. the British, French, Chinese, etc.), would the three Americas be viewed as three completely separate nations, or one messy and loose confederation, or something in between?

Last edited:

Deleted member 139407

From an outsider's perspective in-universe (I.E. the British, French, Chinese, etc.), would the three Americas be viewed as three completely separate nations, or one messy and loose confederation, or something in between?
I'd imagine George III is dancing and hysterically laughing to himself about the whole situation in general. A whole "You'll Be Back" situation is what I'm imagining.

I'd imagine George III is dancing and hysterically laughing to himself about the whole situation in general. A whole "You'll Be Back" situation is what I'm imagining.
I don't know about that--Canada being known as the "British Remnant" seems to say otherwise.

By the way, by 1860, what is the status of some of the south eastern tribes that weren’t given protection in the Ohioan states? Like the Creek, Cherokee, and particularly Seminole.
They more or less get sent into reservations in the Republic or are allowed to flee into to the Indian Nations in Ohio. The latter largely happens to the Creek and Cherokee and some of the Seminole. However most of them were forced into reservations.
Its a bit complicated obviously, but they are largely viewed as three separate nations (since they have separate governments), however they all have a common origin and common cultural foundations vested in the American Revolution. By 1860 some cultural differences have been formed, because of differences in their society but the American identity forged by independence never really died. Its basically Ohioan/Federalist/Confederalist first, American second.
😳 😅 Oh... hadn't seen that...
The "British Remnant" map is from 1860 and @Planita13 says that things won't get bad for Britain until the 1820s, so I don't think Britain's collapse will be happening in George III's lifetime.
Yeah when the United States collapsed it was very much a point and laugh situation for the monarchies in Europe. However the British and the rest of the Europeans have been busy fighting multiple Revolutionary Wars. We have the French Revolutionary Wars from 1792-1809 where the original French Republic survives, albeit as a oligarchical republic. Then its the Spanish Revolutionary War from 1826-1832 where in the Spanish and Portuguese monarchies collapses, along with their colonies. Then its the German Revolutionary Wars (1844-1858) where a German republic in the west is formed from the HRE's corpse. Finally there is the British Revolutionary Wars in1855-1859 when the monarchy is ended and Ireland gets free.

Are you going to cover in more detail the events you mentioned above? I'd love to learn more about how the major monarchies of Europe fell to republicanism.
I definitely plan to, but its one of the biggest issues of my timeline right now. The thing is that I am doing my TL chronologically and so if I venture outside of the United States, things will take forever. Its a debate that I have with myself as I decided to do things chronologically so I can develop the TL organically but a part of me wants to skip to the present and do it like a traditional TL. I would like your thoughts on what should happen.

I definitely plan to, but its one of the biggest issues of my timeline right now. The thing is that I am doing my TL chronologically and so if I venture outside of the United States, things will take forever. Its a debate that I have with myself as I decided to do things chronologically so I can develop the TL organically but a part of me wants to skip to the present and do it like a traditional TL. I would like your thoughts on what should happen.
I think that doing it in chronological order was a great choice, it really makes this TL feel more “real” than most others on the Maps and Graphics forum. If you don’t want to spend to long on the rest of the world, you can just make two or three pages briefly covering different regions. If this is supposed to be an American history textbook, it probably would go over the rest of the world a little bit, but only that.

Hmmm, I don't think it would necessarily be a bad thing if did take forever for you to flesh out the rest of the world outside of North America. Adding some nice background and story to the rest of the world is likely to be a very good thing. If I can give my own personal opinion, I liked it better during your first view updates to the story when you had some text followed by a map/wikibox. Of course, it's your story, but I just thought I'd give some of my own opinions. I will be following this no matter what you do because I think it's great. I look forward to whatever you decide to do next!

Politics of the Trenton Republic
91jKQWO.png

Like other democracies of its era, the Trenton Republic did not have organized political parties, but instead had two main political groups known as cliques. The cliques lacked official leaders and party structures, in reality they were loose factions based upon the regional interests of its members. In addition these cliques lacked official names, despite an abundance of often derogatory nicknames. Contemporary historians in their world would name the two main cliques after the regions they served, the Northern Clique and the Southern Clique.

Geographically divided by the Confederation, the differences between North and South were always present. In the early years of the Cliques, they cooperated on foreign and economic policy, especially with industrialization at home and in the Confederation. However the 1860s the issue of slavery was irreconcilable. The Southern Clique above all else, wanted to protect the institution of slavery, of which the economy of the Greater South revolved around. They loathed and feared the abolitionist Brotherhood and sought to suppress it wherever it could. Meanwhile the Northern Clique, favored abolitionism and many of its members openly supported the Brotherhood. Caught in the religious fervor of the Liberationist Christianity, the Northerners were uncompromising. The acts of the Southern Lane Administration during the Connecticut Crisis would spark war.

XgSqkeZ.png

The 1864 Republic Presidential Election was held on Tuesday, November 8, 1864 between the Southern nominee George Lane and Northern nominee Henry Still. Hindered by political violence and controversies throughout the campaign, it was the first and only American presidential election where the candidate who won the most popular votes did not win the election. The election would be the last federal election in the Trenton Republic before the outbreak of the Second American Civil War.

George Lane sought reelection with the country bitterly divided over his harsh pro-slavery policy. While the country was experiencing moderate economic growth, there was an unbridgeable gap between the north and south over slavery and abolitionism. The entirety of the campaign was centered in the swing state of New York; while it was home to a prominent anti-slavery movement, the state's economy relied on trade with the South. As in the previous three Presidential elections, the outcome of the election would be solely decided by whoever would win the state.

George Lane won the election with a majority of 150 electoral voters to his opponent’s 79 electoral votes, despite losing the popular vote by 4.3 percent. Despite a rise in turnout in the North, George Lane was able to win the critical swing state of New York by 4,543 votes out of 650,164 total votes cast, handing him the election. George Lane’s reelection would allow him to continue his harsh crackdown on the Brotherhood and Sojourner's Church, despite the outrage of the north. Less than two years later, Lane’s deployment for federal troops to the north would spark the Connecticut Crisis and a subsequent civil war.

i9LZwXy.png

George Lane (December 14, 1801 – April 19, 1875) served as the 15th and last president of the Trenton Republic from 1861 to 1867, before the country’s dissolution during the Second American Civil War. A member of the Southern Clique, he served as Governor and in both houses of the U.S. Congress representing New York before becoming President.

Born in Nassau County, New York, Lane became a prominent lawyer and public speaker. In 1843, he won election the Governorship, aligning with the businessman who supported the Southern Clique. Afterwards he entered federal politics, first elected to the United States House of Representatives, then won election as a U.S. senator. He was a major contender for the Clique’s presidential nomination throughout the 1850s and was finally nominated in 1860. Lane and running mate James H. Wheeler of Kentucky defeated the Northern Clique’s nominee President William Samuels to win the 1860 presidential election.

As President, he presided over an extremely divided country over slavery. To combat the rise of the Brotherhood and their activities, he declared the Brotherhood a seditionist organization in 1861. When the Brotherhood continued to expand their operations, he began to use federal troops to arrest and confront the Brotherhood, outraging the north. Nevertheless he was able to win reelection by winning New York. After his reelection, the northern states began to openly defy his attempts to combat the Brotherhood. The large scale deployment of troops into Connecticut in 1866, would spark a major crisis between the state and the federal government. Lane’s escalation would lead to Connecticut and the northern states to take up arms against him…

Very very interesting. It's so weird to see the electoral map with those gaps between the states. Anyways, from the sound of the "Connecticut Crisis" it sounds like the northern states are the one to secede. And since the republic seases to exist, I'm guessing that it ends in a separate northern and southern nation. Very cool! It's funny how such a tiny New York is still so important as a state.

Very very interesting. It's so weird to see the electoral map with those gaps between the states. Anyways, from the sound of the "Connecticut Crisis" it sounds like the northern states are the one to secede. And since the republic seases to exist, I'm guessing that it ends in a separate northern and southern nation. Very cool! It's funny how such a tiny New York is still so important as a state.
Whoops, I didn't read the last paragraph for some reason. So yeah, the north secedes. Very cool 👌

In that "there is fighting in the streets" bad, or in that "large parts of the city get burned down" bad?
The latter ;)

Yeah the Crisis is mentioned in the Coming Storm map!

Yeah the Crisis is mentioned in the Coming Storm map!
I've got a theory here. One that I'm pretty sure you won't spill the beans on yet if it's true, but I'll say it regardless.

Given this is referred to as the Second full-on American Civil War and we haven't heard from the Confederation yet, I don't think they'll secede. I think Northern states will try and join the Confederation, who's attitude on the states would allow them to do what they please regarding slavery.

Last edited: