A Map Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hapsburg,

there's something I cannot understand in your SotS TL:

with such a traumatic POD... how can there be a Napoleon, an spanish-american war so similar to OTL, and everything so similar? Did the demons kill all the butterflies?

Hapsburg

Banned
with such a traumatic POD... how can there be a Napoleon, an spanish-american war so similar to OTL, and everything so similar?
I just have a different view, I guess. As long as similar circumstances prop up, a similar result will ensue. When people say "why?", I say "why not?".

Hapsburg doesn't believe in butterflies.
Now, we've been through this before. I don't want to have to explain crap again. In my timeline, certain circumstances occur that lead to similar events as in OTL. Now, of course, there are major differences, but some things were inevitable. British ending their policy of salutory neglect and cracking some taxes down on the colonies in north america is inevitably lead to rebellion. Continued autocracy by the French monarchs will inevitably lead to the French Revolution and the wars that follow. Some things happened because there was simply no getting around them.

How did Russia conquer china!
Perhaps the Russian Emperor took up the Mandate of Heaven after a long and bloody war?

Last edited:
This is a very hypothetical and mostly made up agent of byzantium map. And no similar colors dont mean same countries, no Hungarian Persia sorry.

Agent of byzantium2.PNG

@ Diamond

With regards to the excellent and OMG map of certain apocolypse...

wouldn't the coasts be affected as well from the world go boom?

Since the updates of the Empty America Dictionary, I have turned my hand at the creation of some maps for Empty America, and with the help of Constaninople (not the city the AH.com user.:rolleyes: ) I have created this one, and i have a map of Ultima Thule sitting at home on my computer...

Anyway, this one is of the year 1292, when the Khanate of the Franks are at thier most powerful, and just after when France was partitioned between England, Castile, Aragon and the Khatate of the Franks.

Once i have found Dougs email, or he posts more info, then i will do a world map after the fall of the Khanate of the Franks, at about 1410. I know some details, but others I am still in the dark (ie most of Europe)

1292_D1.GIF

Since the updates of the Empty America Dictionary, I have turned my hand at the creation of some maps for Empty America, and with the help of Constaninople (not the city the AH.com user.:rolleyes: ) I have created this one, and i have a map of Ultima Thule sitting at home on my computer...

Anyway, this one is of the year 1292, when the Khanate of the Franks are at thier most powerful, and just after when France was partitioned between England, Castile, Aragon and the Khatate of the Franks.

Once i have found Dougs email, or he posts more info, then i will do a world map after the fall of the Khanate of the Franks, at about 1410. I know some details, but others I am still in the dark (ie most of Europe)

That's one excellent map. :D

Makes sense....didn't the Chinese in OTL suspect that the Japanese had been awarded the Mandate?

No. The whole concept is insultingly stupid. The only time the Japanese came close to conquering China (which wasn't very) was in the war of 1937-1945. By that time the concept of 'mandate' had no currency. That was why everybody paid at least lip service to a Republic. Yuan Shi-kai tried becoming an Emperor, and he was in good position to do so... and got kicked in the face repeatedly by one and all.

It is not easy even in historic times to gain this 'mandate', which is why it took Manchus four decades to pacify China. Russia conquering China is not impossible, but it would take on similar turn, long and bloody war. And for any degree of acquiescence, we'd have to sinicise (!), or pretty much let the Chinese run their own affairs.

Diamond

Banned
No. The whole concept is insultingly stupid. The only time the Japanese came close to conquering China (which wasn't very) was in the war of 1937-1945. By that time the concept of 'mandate' had no currency. That was why everybody paid at least lip service to a Republic. Yuan Shi-kai tried becoming an Emperor, and he was in good position to do so... and got kicked in the face repeatedly by one and all.

It is not easy even in historic times to gain this 'mandate', which is why it took Manchus four decades to pacify China. Russia conquering China is not impossible, but it would take on similar turn, long and bloody war. And for any degree of acquiescence, we'd have to sinicise (!), or pretty much let the Chinese run their own affairs.
Hey, don't blame me, blame Silverberg. The map is based directly on information presented by him in The Gate of Worlds and Beyond the Gate of Worlds.

Hapsburg

Banned
EUROPE, c.720 CE. Two-hundred forty years after the Great Fall.
europe720ry8.png

After the fall of Rome, various tribes filled the void. The Eastern Roman Empire tried desperately to recapture the remains, but over two and a half centuries, new dangers have put The Empire in danger. The Islamic Caliphate and the Bulgar Khanate threaten nearby, and the omnipresent Kingdom of Italy and the Burgundian kingdom threaten their loosely-held lands around Rome and Ravenna.
The Wampyiari tribes have settled in the region of Moldavia, forming the Kingdom of the Wampyres. A similar turn of events have occurred to the Alfnvolkr peoples of northern scandanavia, albeit two centuries earlier.

Hm, interesting, the Visigoths seem to have done better in TTL... what are those green outlined places near Vellicia- other Elven states?

Status
Not open for further replies.