A Map Shitpost Thread

Do people want a WIP thread?

• Yes

Votes: 62 75.6%
  • No

Votes: 20 24.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
How do people make maps like this? Is there a tutorial?
MS Paint is fine honestly, though adobe illustrator is better, if more arduous to learn. All he did was delete the northern half of north america, copy the northern half of Europe, paste it, and connect the blemishes with the pencil tool. It's very easy to lean.

That land is significantly more habitable than Bir Tawil. I understand if one government hasn't unified it, but do independent settlements exist there?

I'd say some Native nations exist at least partially in that land, but many of them don't claim it proper.

A bit difficult for the US to make a claim, as it was based pretty much solely on the earlier French claims for the whole Mississippi basin, despite the French having only ever seen the smallest portion of it. Seems likely the U.S. would decide to just claim up to the Lake of the Forests, with the added bonus of including most of the 'unclaimed' area as well. Back then that land was claimed by the Hudson Bay Company anyways, though it might make no difference to the British. How is recognition handled here? Is the land occupied by the U.S.,while maps almost always show it as being British, as they do with the Sudan situation? I also feel that in a situation like this the Red River areas are going to have plenty of Lakotah, Dakota, Metis, so-on and so-forth there. Something with an independent Manitoba around would be interesting... Still, there is a rather narrow window of opportunity for this, with the U.S. having settled its border with Spain (and the Soanish dealing with both Anglophinic countries to decide on the southern border of the Pacific Northwest) and Mexico going independent within less than a decade (I think).

I think everyone in this world recognizes that neither Britain or the US have claims in that unclaimed land since it wouldn't benefit them. So on maps, it would be listed as unclaimed.

MS Paint is fine honestly, though adobe illustrator is better, if more arduous to learn. All he did was delete the northern half of north america, copy the northern half of Europe, paste it, and connect the blemishes with the pencil tool. It's very easy to lean.
agreed 1000%.
MS Paint is simple, easy, and convenient.

I'd say some Native nations exist at least partially in that land, but many of them don't claim it proper.

I think everyone in this world recognizes that neither Britain or the US have claims in that unclaimed land since it wouldn't benefit them. So on maps, it would be listed as unclaimed.
What about the other borders? Do the British and Americans manage a codominion of sorts here still or do they end up just grabbing what they can or some settler states set themselves up? I can't imagine them dividing it exactly the way they did IOTL, if only because the British would see it as having to concede to a straight-line border, even if the Americans are filling up areas with settlers faster than themselves. Heck, I can see the British claiming the border should be down at the southern end of the Red River Valley the whole way, as that is around were the northern most point of the Mississippi was as originally independent in the treaty in borders, not the Lake of the Woods. Which was a hundred miles or so to the north.

How do people make maps like this? Is there a tutorial?
I just used MS Paint. Opened a blank topographic Worlda map, cut out America, pasted it into another MS Paint window then cut out the north half of Europe from the first window and pasted it into that one as well. Corrected places where any borders are off and connected rivers then posted here.

maderterranian australia.png

Sizes not completely accurate.

bro.png

Credit to @broitsaprankbro for his crazy map.
I created a way crazier political map for this world.

• Iceland is rich and prosperous colonial power. However, it still remains republic. And yes, they enslaved Denmark...
  • United Kingdom of Great Britain and North California. So it's our Britain, but more imperialist and californian.
  • Netherlands. An absolute imperialist monarchy, in union with Britain.
  • Californian Republic. Independent and strong democracy.
  • United Survivalist Communes of Norway. Crazy survivalist confederacy of shitty towns.
  • Swedish Empire. Nativist and crazy monarchy, they don't like anyone, but they have a bit more good relations with Poland.
  • Polish Empire. Same character as a Sweden, Poland are more adequate and it's main work right now is colonization.
  • German states. West Germany is Anglo-Dutch puppet, and eastern is militaristic dictatorship.
  • French Arizona. Arizona is oligarchic state controlled by french elite. And they hate Britain.
  • Indian Confederacy. Indian tribes. Nothing special, but they are more agressive and and often make forays on their neighbours.
  • Two Texases. Western democratic republic vs. eastern military dictatorship.
  • Czech Republic. Czechs was scared by Poland and migrated to the Texas.
  • Feudal Kingdom of Louisiana. Decentralized feudal and very backwarded state.
  • Confederacy of Columbian States. South-based confederal USA. Central government really controls only Cuba, because it is a territory.
  • Estonian Republic. Migrated to east, estonians build a prosperous state.
  • Finland. Crushed by swedes, it's forrest backwarded state with shitty small towns. And very cold.
  • Union of Lithuanian Provinces. Federal republican Lithuania. Nothing special, but it more advanced and rich.
  • Republic of Illinois. Ally of Lithuania. Has heavy industry.
  • Union of Canada, Russia and Michigan. United multinational federation. One of Sweden's main rivals.
  • United States of New York. So it's very small story. New York gained domination in US and country was simply re-named.
  • Greater Vermont. Vermonters wanted their own big state and get it.
  • Mexican states. Northern crazy Swden-like monarchy with fascist tendencies vs. Communist workers' federation of South.
  • Dominican Republic. Now it's most influental state in the Caribbean and South America, after Great South American War.
  • Central American Federation. Federation of city-towns, survived after the War.
  • Federation of Panama. Same as CAF, but more centralized.
  • Columbian Republic. Survived South American state, it's poor, small populated and very backwarded.

Last edited:
What about the other borders? Do the British and Americans manage a codominion of sorts here still or do they end up just grabbing what they can or some settler states set themselves up? I can't imagine them dividing it exactly the way they did IOTL, if only because the British would see it as having to concede to a straight-line border, even if the Americans are filling up areas with settlers faster than themselves. Heck, I can see the British claiming the border should be down at the southern end of the Red River Valley the whole way, as that is around were the northern most point of the Mississippi was as originally independent in the treaty in borders, not the Lake of the Woods. Which was a hundred miles or so to the north.

Maybe some ASB causes both sides to not give up there claims.

View attachment 339580

Credit to @broitsaprankbro for his crazy map.
I created a way crazier political map for this world.

• Iceland is rich and prosperous colonial power. However, it still remains republic. And yes, they enslaved Denmark...
  • United Kingdom of Great Britain and North California. So it's our Britain, but more imperialist and californian.
  • Netherlands. An absolute imperialist monarchy, in union with Britain.
  • Californian Republic. Independent and strong democracy.
  • United Survivalist Communes of Norway. Crazy survivalist confederacy of shitty towns.
  • Swedish Empire. Nativist and crazy monarchy, they don't like anyone, but they have a bit more good relations with Poland.
  • Polish Empire. Same character as a Sweden, Poland are more adequate and it's main work right now is colonization.
  • German states. West Germany is Anglo-Dutch puppet, and eastern is militaristic dictatorship.
  • French Arizona. Arizona is oligarchic state controlled by french elite. And they hate Britain.
  • Indian Confederacy. Indian tribes. Nothing special, but they are more agressive and and often make forays on their neighbours.
  • Two Texases. Western democratic republic vs. eastern military dictatorship.
  • Czech Republic. Czechs was scared by Poland and migrated to the Texas.
  • Feudal Kingdom of Louisiana. Decentralized feudal and very backwarded state.
  • Confederacy of Columbian States. South-based confederal USA. Central government really controls only Cuba, because it is a territory.
  • Estonian Republic. Migrated to east, estonians build a prosperous state.
  • Finland. Crushed by swedes, it's forrest backwarded state with shitty small towns. And very cold.
  • Union of Lithuanian Provinces. Federal republican Lithuania. Nothing special, but it more advanced and rich.
  • Republic of Illinois. Ally of Lithuania. Has heavy industry.
  • Union of Canada, Russia and Michigan. United multinational federation. One of Sweden's main rivals.
  • United States of New York. So it's very small story. New York gained domination in US and country was simply re-named.
  • Greater Vermont. Vermonters wanted their own big state and get it.
  • Mexican states. Northern crazy Swden-like monarchy with fascist tendencies vs. Communist workers' federation of South.
  • Dominican Republic. Now it's most influental state in the Caribbean and South America, after Great South American War.
  • Central American Federation. Federation of city-towns, survived after the War.
  • Federation of Panama. Same as CAF, but more centralized.
  • Columbian Republic. Survived South American state, it's poor, small populated and very backwarded.
You should post this to the map thread.