Lusophone World

Lusitania

Donor
A Lusophone[1] World

The Portuguese influence in the world stage was greatly diminished in the 20th century. iOTL Portugal was one of Europe's least developed countries even so it continued to control a vast amount of territory spread over three continents as well as linked culturally and linguistically to South America's largest and strongest country. Proving that its presence and prominent impact throughout the world had outshone its small and humble beginnings. While well past its glory the small and backwards country was still able to maintain their control of over half a dozen countries in Africa and Asia till the mid 1970s through luck, political good fortune and sheer determination.

Portuguese misfortunes and lack of development had their roots prior to the 20th century and attempts by the Portuguese to correct the problems of the past had aggravated the economic and social problems even more. The ill fated 1st Republic (1910 - 1926) and subsequent dictatorship and "Estado Novo" (1926 -1930 & 1931 -1974) failed in modernizing and improving the lives of the Portuguese and those under their control to same level as their European peers. Hampering the development was the prolonged Colonial War (1960 - 1974) which only end following the 1974 revolution and overthrow of the Estado Novo.

Today the Portuguese language in spoken by over 270 million people and the official language of eight countries spread over four different continents. But due to lack of development all Lusophone countries standard of living are the lowest amongst their peers.

As an avid Portuguese history buff I have been biased in past about chances of substantial change in Portuguese circumstances during the 20th century and in the past I have concentrated in the pre-1900 era which I considered best chance for Portuguese revival. This all changed two years ago when I read a TL by Paulo both the in ASB and subsequently in Post-1900 forums regarding the revival of Portuguese fortunes in the 20th century. With Paulo's permission I took his premise of a different "progressive estado novo" with different leaders of the Dictatorship and Estado Novo who began the modernization of the country and "overseas provinces" prior to WWII into an modern country able to hold its own against those who sought dominance and control over the world. After two years I now present a new TL where the Lusophone do not wither but continue to shine brightly.

Note the TL is organized in decades each with several sections:

• Country - this section provides readers with an introduction of the country and its various regions;
  • Politics - this section concentrates on the major political events that impacted the country and its people during the decade. It will also cover government programs and actions including major foreign involvements and treaties. Major political players and political reforms including elections are also covered;
  • Portuguese Armed Forces - this section outlines the state of the Portuguese military, including reforms, structure and deployment as well as military innovations;
  • Economy - this section will detail the economic issues and developments facing the country. It is organized into several major economic subsections;
  • Health & Education - this section outlines the health & educational issues and developments facing the country;
  • Security - this section delves into the security issues facing the country and the security apparatus that is implemented to keep the people "safe" and provide security to the country;
  • Culture and Sports - this section provides a glimpse of the major cultural and sport accomplishments in the country;
  • Foreign Affairs - this section outlines the country's diplomatic interaction with its Allies, neutral countries and those who wished harm to the country and its people;
  • World - major world developments that had an impact to the Lusophone world;
In addition to the information outlined above there will also be at times reports from various foreign government agencies about the state of the Portuguese and the viability of the various reforms initiated in the country.

The major sections of the TL are:

Note as each chapter is added the links are updated above.

The 1st part of "The Republic" will be published on June 10 and then subsequent parts will be published every two weeks.

[1] Lusophones (Portuguese: lusófonos) are people who speak the Portuguese language, either as native speakers or as learners. Similarly, the Lusosphere or Lusophony (Portuguese: Lusofonia) is a community of people who are culturally and linguistically linked to Portugal, either historically or by choice. The idea of a Lusosphere is free of ethnic connotations, in that a Lusophone may not have any Portuguese ancestry at all. The Lusophone world is mainly a legacy of the Portuguese Empire, although Portuguese diaspora and Brazilian diaspora communities have also played a role in spreading the Portuguese language

Last edited:
Maybe Luso-fication of the Portogueese colonies could be an idea. Colonies such as East Timor, Macau, Angola, Mozambic, Guinea Bissau, Sao Tome and Principe, Cape Verde, Goa and the rest of Portogueese India.

Lusitania

Donor
MEMORANDUM
NATIONAL SECURITY COUNCIL​
SECRET/SENSITIVE/EYES ONLY
URGENT ACTION
June 6, 2018​

MEMORANDUM FOR: SECRETARY POWEL

SUBJECT: DGS Activities in USA

As your request, recent heightened espionage and covert activities of DGS agents within the borders of the United States of America have been analyzed and a report "Increased DGS activities in North America" is herby attached.

Of special note in the report is the 50% increase in intercepted communication between foreign agents and their "assets" in the USA during the last decade. While several arrests have been made including the neutralizing of several foreign agents it is highly likely that the DGS and its associates have been successful in obtaining secret and sensitive information regarding current US secrets and assets in the Federation and Commonwealth.

Lastly current spike in activity during last month centers on DGS and their contractors in locating prominent dissident and blogger know only as "Lusitania". It is rumored that he obtained sensitive and secret information on the Federation. Attempts to locate Lusitania has so far failed. Latest intel indicates he is travelling in US Midwest. It is imperative that he is apprehended and protected.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Diary entry June 6 2018

Made it out of North Carolina last night but in doing lost James and now I am on my own. Thought I was done but the unexpected arrival of those other guys (must of been US intelligence) allowed me to escape. I have sacrificed too much and lost too many people to give up now. Will start posting information this weekend when I reach safe house.

CLIP

Last edited:

Lusitania

Donor
Diary entry June 10 2018

How is it that you can take a Portuguese out of the Federation but can't take the Federation out a Portuguese. I almost blew it today, I have been in this country for over five years and can pass for an American without any trouble (I guess in part due to my genes; German father and British mother) and one stupid comment and I almost revealed myself. Today of all days "Day of Camões" as it is referred back home, when country stops to celebrate the Lusitanian spirit, but that was not what caused my problem it was a stupid ESPN newscast of all things. The USA men's football I mean soccer arrived in Melbourne Australia for the 2018 World Cup. The announcer was going on how the team had the misfortune of being selected into Group B with the six time world cup winner the Portuguese Federation. I was only half paying attention to what the announcer was talking about till some yahoo who knows next to nothing about soccer yells out "America going to kick those half breed monkey's ass this time". Now nothing gets a Portuguese's blood boiling like insulting our team and I was half up out of my chair before I knew it. Several people in the place turned to look my way, luckily I realized my mistake and acting drunk made my way to the bathroom. I had to sit there and listen to those ignorant bastards make comments after dispiriting comments about some of the most gifted players on the planet with a grin on my face. It was one hardest nights I ever sat through. Finally the bar closed and all of us slowly and uneasy made our way home. I had to fight the urge to beat the crap out of that jerk but can't draw any attention to myself. I know where the asshole lives and in the next few weeks will make sure he suffers for his insults.

Now for my information, how did a small backwards country with a few undeveloped colonies pull off the miracle of the century as CNN announcer stated last year on their expose of the country. Becoming one of the leaders of the World Defense Alliance that is the USA and the Comintern's main adversary in the world. To do that we need to know a little about its history and how the National Union rose to power and through luck and will of power transformed the country. While the Portuguese history goes back to 1139 and its founding we will just discuss the events in the 20th and 21st century.

CLIP

Last edited:
The Republic (1 of 2)

Lusitania

Donor
The Republic

PVy93yd.png

In 1910 the increasingly unpopular Portuguese Monarchy was overthrown, and the Republic of Portugal was proclaimed. In its nine years history it was characterized as “The Republic” which saw six presidents and 25 ministries and has been described as consisting of "continual anarchy, government corruption, rioting and pillage, assassinations, arbitrary imprisonment and religious persecution”. Cost of living increased over 15-fold and the Portuguese currency dropped to 1/20 of its gold value. The problems facing the Portuguese Monarchy had continued into the Republic and been aggravated by political instability.

Background Grievances

Q0osjjR.png

The Pink Map project: Portugal's claim of sovereignty over the lands between Portuguese Angola and Portuguese Mozambique.

On 11 January 1890 the British government of Lord Salisbury sent the Portuguese government an ultimatum in the form of a "memorandum", demanding the retreat of the Portuguese military forces led by Serpa Pinto from the territory between the colonies of Angola and Mozambique, an area claimed by Portugal under the Pink Map.

The swift yielding by the Portuguese to the British demands was seen as a national humiliation by a broad cross-section of the population and the elite, initiating a movement of deep dissatisfaction in relation with the new king, Carlos I of Portugal, the royal family and the institution of the monarchy, which were seen as responsible for the alleged process of "national decline".

On 14 January 1890, the progressive government fell and the leader of the Regenerador Party, António de Serpa Pimentel, was chosen to form the new government. The progressivists then began to attack the king, voting for republican candidates in the March election of that year, questioning the colonial agreement then signed with the British. Feeding an atmosphere of near insurrection, on 23 March 1890, António José de Almeida, at the time a student in the University of Coimbra and, later on, President of the Republic, published an article entitled "Bragança, o último", considered slanderous against the king and led to Almeida's imprisonment.

In the city of Porto, on 31 January 1891, a military uprising against the monarchy took place, constituted mainly by sergeants and enlisted ranks. The rebels, who used the nationalist anthem “A Portuguesa” as their marching song, took the Paços do Concelho, from whose balcony, the republican journalist and politician Augusto Manuel Alves da Veiga proclaimed the establishment of the republic in Portugal and hoisted a red and green flag belonging to the Federal Democratic Centre. The movement was, shortly afterwards, suppressed by a military detachment of the municipal guard that remained loyal to the government, resulting in 40 injured and 12 casualties. The captured rebels were judged. 250 received sentences of between 18 months and 15 years of exile in Africa. “A Portuguesa” was forbidden.

Despite its failure, the rebellion of 31 January 1891 was the first large threat felt by the monarchic regime and a sign of what would come almost two decades later.

Meanwhile Portuguese economy and industrialization continued stagnant and the country continued for most part undeveloped and the government struggled to gain the populace approval. The Portuguese limited resources also limited its control of the Portuguese colonies in Africa with Angola interior largely uncontrolled as the 20th century began. The colonies were largely underdeveloped and what development did occur was initiated by foreign interests.

As the 20th century started the country place as the least developed European colonial powers continued. Its public debt and government finances were in precarious situation while political instability hampered government ability to respond to the ever-increasing challenges and problems.

1908 Lisbon Regicide

7qNIwMx.png

Anonymous reconstruction of the regicide.

On 1 February 1908, while returning to Lisbon from Vila Viçosa in Alentejo, where they had spent the hunting season, the king Carlos I and his heir the prince Luís Filipe were assassinated in Lisbon's Commerce Square.

After the attack, João Franco's dictatorial government was dismissed, and a rigorous investigation was launched which found, two years later, that the attack had been committed by members of the secret organization Carbonária. The investigation process finished on 5 October 1910. However, more suspects were subsequently found to have direct involvement, some of whom had gone into hiding in Brazil and France and at least two had been killed by the Carbonária itself.

Europe was shocked by the attack, since King Carlos was highly regarded by other European heads of state. The Lisbon regicide hastened the end of the monarchy by placing an unprepared D. Manuel II on the throne and throwing the monarchical parties against one another.
____________________________________________________________________________________________
The Republic part 1 dealt with the first decade of the 20th century and the major grievances of the Portuguese people that led to the end of the Portuguese Monarchy. Question/ Comments?? Return June 24 for part two of the Republic dealing with the second decade of the 20th century.

Last edited:

Lusitania

Donor
Interesting.

Thanks, best parts to come.

How do they compete against the British and Americans?

The quick answer is very cautiously, but in reality the Portuguese had over the last century been associated with a variety of Allies or friends that at different times provided it with political, economic, technology and military support (Britain, Nazi Germany, France, Israel, Nationalist China, IEC and Russian Federation). At same time they carved out “politically Aligned” countries they molded into the Lusitania Federation.

As for Britain and USA the most important thing they had going for them was that over the decade they played their biggest advantage that being either a friend and important ally to looking non-threatening when it mattered and leaving the USA to duel with the Soviet Union / PRC while it concentrated on development and growth.

Lusitania

Donor
Diary Entry: June 17

The half a dozen middle aged men sat subdued nursing their beers as the Fox News announcer Maria Sara Bartiromo read the morning news

“President Mitt Roney arrived last night in Washington after a contentious G9 meeting in Quebec City. During the meeting he faced down repeated calls by other members for changes to the US continued embargo on both World Defense Alliance and Comintern and instead engage both in dialogue.”

“In other news the USA soccer team opening game during this years world cup did not go as the US wanted. While they were defeated by the Portuguese Federation by a score of 5-1 they showed the Federation that US team is no slouch and will be a contender in the next World Cup here in the US in 2022.”

“Meanwhile in Peace & Harmony moon city, World Defense Alliance commander Ayelet Shaked announced the lifting of blockade on Comintern citizens but warned any future violence by Comintern citizens would be dealt with harshly. Commander Ayelet Shaked who is from Israel took over command of the World Defense Alliance section of the moon city from Chinese commander Huang Yu-cheng who died of suspected poisoning in April.”

For last few days things have been good. Went fishing with several local guys yesterday in an attempt to blend in. This morning we were suppose to go fishing but Jimmy never showed up and then sheriff showed up telling us he had been found beaten up and dead by truck driver overnight. The guys had been subdued this morning wondering who had done Jimmy in but with a foul mouth and angry disposition the list was very long. Karma I think after having to suffer continuous comments on all those he considered below the Americans.

Last edited:
Commander Ayelet Shaked who is from Israel took over command of the World Defense Alliance section of the moon city from Chinese commander Huang Yu-cheng who died of suspected poisoning in April.”
So china is part of the world defense alliance?

Lusitania

Donor
I wonder how will you manage that?

Very Delicately, iOTL there were a few opportunities for that to happen so it was possible. Sorry but other than that I do not wish to elaborate since it crucial part of the TL.

The reason I had even mentioned it at this time was that iOTL Nationalist China is not even referenced any more and we use Taiwan due to them being limited to only that island. If Nationalist China spread out then can’t call them Taiwan and we still call them by their actual name national China.

Last edited: