A Loyal City on the Hill - The Commonwealth Wank

VT45

Banned
That's it exactly. They came in second in well over a hundred seats in very close margins. The problem is much of their core support is in the suburbs which got drowned out by the conservative and nationalist waves in this election. The election coming up in June will likely see them surge back in much larger numbers.

That's it exactly. They came in second in well over a hundred seats in very close margins. The problem is much of their core support is in the suburbs which got drowned out by the conservative and nationalist waves in this election. The election coming up in June will likely see them surge back in much larger numbers.
Makes sense. Reminds me in large part of the Lib/SDP Alliance in 1983 in the UK, when they scored just 2 points behind Labour but only ended up with a dozen or so seats to Labour's 200. The miracles of FPTP!

Also, in total awe of the map (since I didn't say it before). Nice work!

VT45

Banned
Makes sense. Reminds me in large part of the Lib/SDP Alliance in 1983 in the UK, when they scored just 2 points behind Labour but only ended up with a dozen or so seats to Labour's 200. The miracles of FPTP!

Also, in total awe of the map (since I didn't say it before). Nice work!

Thanks. I couldn’t have done it without @Kanan’s help. It was her electoral system that she created for Our Fair Country that I was able to adapt in order to create this map.

VT45

Banned
MFW I realised that the Michigan provincial election is in three days.
tenor.gif

All projects are getting set aside for now so I can focus on that.

Michigan provincial election, 8 Mar 2020

VT45

Banned
As the last province to go to the polls to elect a new provincial government before the tentative date of the Columbian general election this coming June, this election was greatly anticipated as the last seal of approval or disapproval for their respective manifestos. While Michigan's voters only returned MLAs from the Liberal-Conservatives, the Liberal Alliance, and the Labour-Welfare parties, the CNPP and the Greens campaigned hard to try and break into Detroit's Province House. But to no avail. Both left bench* parties saw massive losses as their support cratered. The voters of Michigan returned a hung parliament, however the Liberal Alliance were able to form a coalition with Labour-Welfare. Gretchen Whitmer, who has become famous for her scathing criticisms as the Leader of the Opposition, has become the new premier, and Abdul El-Sayed, an avid right bench* activist that came to prominence following the 2015 general election, has become the deputy premier, the first time in Michigan's history that a newly elected MLA has joined the cabinet.

Results:
I6ZJ5PX.png

Riding map:
FwwOgwO.png

Popular vote chart:
XfJpjdE.png

Legislative Assembly standings:
EkLIv4X.png

*Left bench and right bench: Because of the fact that the French Revolution didn't happen the same way that it did IOTL, the terms left and right wing didn't come about. Instead, the terms that came about are left and right bench. Left bench refers to OTL right wing parties and right bench refers to OTL left wing parties.

Last edited:
1) As always, I love love love the map!

2) With your clarifying note about the left/right bench, I have what may be a dumb question. Do the parties alternate sides of the Speaker as in OTL Westminster, or are the parties fixed on one side of the Speaker or another? Or does it vary by province and/or country?

VT45

Banned
They alternate sides of the speaker. The left wing got associated with the speaker’s right side however because they were in power for so long in the UK in the early 19th century

VT45

Banned
Also woe be to Premier Whitmer, who's been premier for 15 days and has has this entire COVID-19 shitstorm fall in her lap immediately upon taking office.

VT45

Banned
Just calculated it. There are 1621 confirmed cases in New England, and 25 people have died of COVID-19 so far.

"A Hymn to New England"

VT45

Banned
A couple things for you now that I'm not staring down the barrel of a looming election. This is the national anthem of New England. I am definitely not a lyricist or a poet so it doesn't yet have lyrics. If you would like to help me come up with lyrics, please let me know.

Flag of Columbia

VT45

Banned
Here is the flag of Columbia. Thanks to @Pokemon Master for helping me come up with some ideas for what to do with it. The orange background is quite unique within the Commonwealth of Nations, and it symbolises the country's deep Dutch ties. The griffin symbolises the fusion of Dutch and German cultures that defines much of the nation, and the ten pointed star stands for the ten provinces of Columbia.
krOjbmg.png