A Loyal City on the Hill - The Commonwealth Wank

Damn I wanted someone like Tim Scott or Nikki Hayley or Mark Warner or someone. Did George Wallace become PM at some point?

Hyperloop between Cape Town and Gauteng, how well is timeline South Africa doing exactly to afford that?

VT45

Banned
George Wallace was indeed PM back in the 50s and 60s. Without the moderating effects of the North, Virginia is a staunchly conservative bastion. While left-wing parties will take power from time to time, they have a lot more in common with New England Conservatives than their similarly named Liberal counterparts. Columbia tends to swing back and forth, with slightly more moderate conservatives than Virginia, and more moderate left-wing parties than New England. New England itself is staunchly leftist, with its first prime minister serving for nearly 20 years.

How well South Africa is doing is immaterial in this case. This is Elon Musk we're talking about. ITTL he just never came to America. :p

The georeferencing for the map is taking a lot longer than I thought it would, so to tide you over, enjoy the musical stylings of Jesse Ferguson. ITTL, Jesse was originally from Laurentia (OTL Canada minus everything east of Ontario), but immigrated to New England. He is now one of the most popular folk musicians in New England.

VT45

Banned
And a finished map of New England. I wanted to make it stereographic but QGIS was acting up.

2RHOLCF.png

VT45

Banned
Okay, an actual serious post about the state of South Africa ITTL. First off, South Africa also includes Namibia, Lesotho, eSwatini, and Botswana, and is basically the economic engine that drives Africa. Thanks to a much more gradual decolonisation and borders that sort of make sense, Africa as a whole is better off than OTL, with European nations making sure that their former colonies had what they need before they left entirely.

That’s not to say everything is wonderful in Africa. Boko Haram is still active and has recently staged a coup in several Lake Chad region countries (hence the UN peacekeepers) and there is still severe poverty in some regions thanks to corrupt politicians and governments, things are on a generally more even keel, with the standards of living and GDP per capita in South Africa being more or less on par with OTL Portugal.

New England map

VT45

Banned
Okay, I don't know what was going on with QGIS last night, but I got it working tonight. So here's a stereographic map of the Commonwealth of New England, at the scale of 1 sq km to the pixel. Tomorrow if I have time I'll start work on some infoboxes for you guys. And if there's anything you wanna know about, don't hesitate to ask!

YqwC94P.png

Okay, I don't know what was going on with QGIS last night, but I got it working tonight. So here's a stereographic map of the Commonwealth of New England, at the scale of 1 sq km to the pixel. Tomorrow if I have time I'll start work on some infoboxes for you guys. And if there's anything you wanna know about, don't hesitate to ask!
Is Mexico still as enormous in this TL because I kinda want a giant fun Mexico

Out of curiosity, why not remove all the non-New England borders? It looks a bit better that way, in my opinion.

I’m not sure what you mean. There aren’t any non-New England borders on the map.
Like, uh, just the parts that are New-English? Hate to use one of my maps for an example, but, like this?
bra sverige.png

Where everything that isn't Swedish on that map is not shown, y'know? Hope that helped.

I have an Idea for Columbia. Why not turn the Roosevelts into a Political Dynasty? Like have FDR become PM at some point and have his Son and Grandson and Great Grandsons and daughters become heavily involved in Politics. Like what Kanan did with the Kennedys but with the Roosevelts.

VT45

Banned
I might. After all, in a world like this, people would be more okay with the idea of dynastic politics, because that’s considered to be the natural order of things. So there might be the Roosevelts, but also the Kennedys and the Adams.

Watched! I'll be watching the thread even though I don't know much about British politics (read, almost nothing).

VT45

Banned
So rehearsal ran late tonight, so I got the chance to start the map of Mexico, but not finish it. So let’s talk about it instead.

Mexico is a bit smaller than it was in the old version, but it’s still by far the biggest and most populous country in North America. It stretches from OTL Panama to Oregon, and reaches Shreveport in the east. It is home to over 220 million people, and is the largest Spanish speaking country in the world as well as having the biggest economy in the Spanish Commonwealth (name tbd; open to suggestions). It’s basically considered to be one of the countries roughly equivalent to that of the BRICS nations IOTL developmentally and economically. It’s not as developed on average as its British neighbours to the north (it varies wildly; California for example is on par economically with Europe whereas places like Guatemala and Oaxaca are worse than Subsaharan Africa), but it’s still nothing to sneeze at. The new prime minister was swept into power on the pledge to lift the whole of Mexico out of poverty by the end of his term, using the wealth of the far north and centre to subsidise the desert and jungle provinces.

I figure the news page will give you guys some good tidbits about the modern state of New England, but if you have any questions or anything you’d like to see, don’t hesitate to ask.
what's with this 11th province thing?

VT45

Banned
what's with this 11th province thing?

It’s the idea that some Bostonians have to create something similar to Greater London: take Boston and its suburbs and carve them off Massachusetts and turn it into a single unitary authority. Basically a city and province combined into one.