A list of possible PODs in French history

Ancien regime France in the 1770s and 80s produced many of the innovations that are often misattributed to the revolutionary republic, e.g. Gribeauval artillery, observation balloons, and my personal favourite, the Cugnot steam-powered artillery tractor.
They also had a steam-boat, the pyroscaphe, build by Claude de Jouffrey, Marquis d'Abbans, in 1783.

Thande

Donor
They also had a steam-boat, the pyroscaphe, build by Claude de Jouffrey, Marquis d'Abbans, in 1783.

Exactly - the revolution may have fostered innovation in some areas, but it also killed a lot of very inventive people and made it harder for them to put their ideas into practice. A moderate constitutional monarchy would be very dangerous for France's enemies - enough to cut out most conservative opponents from the ancien regime, but not so much bloodshed that all the structures are torn down.

I love the sound of the General Boulanger one, but to be honest I don't know much about him at all. Other than that he topped himself on his mistress's grave...

I looked in Urban Dictionary and I don't know which meaning of "topped" you refer to? :):confused:

What is the earliest, and the latest, POD which makes it possible for the French Revolution to take place?

What is the earliest, and the latest, POD for somebody very similar to Hitler
to arise in France? WI he and OTL Hitler are in power at the same time?

"The German Over-Men are supreme!"
"No, the French Over-Men are supreme!"
"The German Aryans are better than the French Aryans!"
"NO! The French Aryans are better!"

So the two fight it out and leave the rest of the world alone? :D

How come you haven't mentioned Charles de Gaulle? What do contemporary Frenchmen think of him? What might he have done differently? What if somebody tried to restore the French monarchy sometime between 1914-present?

Drew Barrymore was in a movie called Ever After which has an interesting POD. OTL, Prince Henry of France in fact married Catherine de Medici. In this movie, she disappears from history; Drew plays a Cinderella type, and marries the prince.

It apparently wasn't really presented as alternate history, but the POD--Catherine de Medici disappearing from history--is interesting.

Here's one WI that could be thrown in: WI France chose a different path for its policy regarding la Nouvelle-France?

The Lily and the Thistle, or, Let England Tremble
Francis II survives to produce the heir to the King of France and Scotland.

Rockingham

Banned
France, sadly, doesnt get that mcu haction in timelines not related to the World wars or Napoleon........

I've always been fascinated by the second French Empires possibilities myself.... I've got a TL in the works right now actually. Just a little preview, though it may die like every other TL I've attempted:

"The Empires on which the sun never sets"

A TL in which a rather more multipolar world, rather then the bi-polar German-British domination and a sidelined US eventuates in the late 19th century. Involves, somewhat ironically, the Second French Empire doing better due to Napoleon III being temporarily incapacitated, and someone/s or other(haven't figured out who yet...a major stumbling block) siezes the opportunity to create a semi-constitutional monarchy... Napoleon III remains/regains dominant position in the state, but is somewhat tempered..... thus some of his wackier foreign adventures are avoided, for example he is not allowed give anymore then verbal support to the Polish rebellion..... nor is he able to authorise that crazy Mexican intervention. Besides that, the military coup means that more funds go to the French army, which is reformed and reorganised some more.... while the French navy, while not built up significantly, is reorganized into a cohesive unit....

These reforms would probably be opposed by Britain, if it was done in peace time. Wisely, however, it is done under the cover of allying with Union in exchange for economic concessions and (limited)support in the intervention in Mexico(which is done with Spanish and British support, given that it only goes so far as to collect debts). In the end, this results in a slightly shorter ACW, a collapsed Mexico in which US, France, Spain and Britain jockey for inluence, a stronger French economy(due to the strong economic relations between them and the US, as well as a cheaper war), and a French Army and Navy that are stronger, better organized, and have a better reputation.

I'm still not quite sure how the Prusso-Austrian war will fit into this....

Archibald

Banned
Another interesting whatif could be based on 6th February 1934 riots in Paris. Imagine that the angry mob shooting against policemen on the place de la Concorde managed to enter the Palais Bourbon and spread havoc among the members of the french parliament. In fact had Colonel De La Rocque ordered its "croix de feu" to join the riot (they were not too far, but stayed out of the fight) things could have gone very awry for the 3rd republic. Interestingly after that De La Rocque was considered a coward and the croix de feu (crosses of fire) were nicknamed the froides queues (cold dicks, sorry for the rude words) Anyone for a stronger France under rule of De La Rocque ?

Last edited:
As a French I can tell you one of the most good possible timeline you can make with France : What if with more immigration to america, France kept new France?

What if France don't surrender in 1940 is also interesting

What if with more speed, france colonize new Zealand ?

What if Louis XV don't refuse with incomprehensible logical the southern Netherlands ?

The timeline with Napoleon is i think largely stud in this forum ^^

Way back at the start of this thread some suggested a POD of France becoming a constitional monarchy in 1871:

http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/althistx/cddr.html

Another thought:

What if the situations of Generals de Gaulle and Giraud were reversed?? IE Giraud escapes to Britain and de Gaulle is held captive by the Germans for two years?

Oooh, I like this one. Another good would be one where de Gaulle is simply killed during WWI or WWII.

How come you haven't mentioned Charles de Gaulle? What do contemporary Frenchmen think of him? What might he have done differently? What if somebody tried to restore the French monarchy sometime between 1914-present?

Ifs someone tried that they'd probably go with the Orleanist line as after the death of the Comte de Chambord in 1883 (?) the Legitimist claim went to foreign royals whereas the Orleanist line stayed with French royals. The Orleanist claimants within the timeframe you mentioned were:

Philippe, Duc D'Orleans 1869-1894-1826
Jean, Duc de Guise 1874-1926-1940
Henri, Comte de Paris 1908-1940-1999
Henri,Comte de Paris 1933-1999-present day

The dates in bold are when the gentleman in question became the Orleanist claimant

Last edited: