A Kingdom of Swans: The Spanish Empire under the House of Wittelsbach

I: The Spanish Succession
I
The Spanish Succession
1665-1700

441px-Siege_of_Namur_%281692%29.JPG

Siege of Namur, 1692 by Jean-Baptiste Martin (a.k.a. Martin des Batailles)

Europe as a whole was a continent embroiled in tension. Fourteen years prior, Eastern Europe had borne witness to the return of massive Turkish armies across Central Europe. Though they were pushed back after their latest siege at Vienna, the decision of the Bourbon Monarchs of France to capitalize on perceived Imperial distractions, laid the foundations for the latest in a series of wars between the Sun King, Louis XIV and his various rivals, the War of the Grand Alliance. The conflict saw the use of massive armies, unheard of even during the waning days of the Thirty Years’ War and perceived unsustainable even during the age fight in climatic battles.

The defection of the Duchy of Savoy from the alliance, coupled with the financial crisis plaguing both France and two major Alliance members, England and the United Provinces saw an end to the conflict, and the Treaty of Rijswijk saw peace reign once more. But it seemed that a new conflict would be waiting to begin before the ink even began drying.

Carlos II, the King of Spain since 1665, was ailing. While this would normally not be an issue for a normal monarch, Carlos II was anything but. He was the product of severe inbreeding, all eight of his great-grandparents were descendents of Juana and Felipe I, the Queen and King of Castile. Suffering from ill-health his whole life and rendered sterile as a result of inbreeding, the question of the Spanish Succession had been plaguing Spanish domestic policy, as well as Europe’s foreign policy. Despite Spain no longer being the premier power in Europe, (that distinction having since passed to powers such as France, England and the Netherlands.) it still controlled a vast Empire.

220px-Juan_de_Miranda_Carreno_002.jpg

Carlos II, the Last Habsburg King of Spain

Within Europe alone, it control the lands of Milan, Sardinia, Naples, Sicily and various princely states in the Southern Netherlands. Beyond this, was the vast Colonial Empire built up over the course of the previous two centuries, a source of immense prestige, wealth and goods to help along the Spanish economy. (despite its decrepit shape) Yet the kingdom suffered immensely from mismanagement stemming back to the early Habsburg monarchs, something that served to bite them in the derriere economically and eroded their potential as a Great Power, and it seemed its time was at an end with presumably, the last Habsburg Monarch.

But one caveat about the Crisis was in Spain’s succession system. Spain was one of a number of monarchies that followed the law of cognatic primogeniture, in that females and sons & daughters born from the female line could inherit the throne should the male line of the dynasts were to die out. This would serve as the main crux of the issue, as after Carlos II comes the descent of his half-sister María Teresa, and his full sister, Margarita Teresa. Both step sisters could transmit their claims to their children, the former transmitted hers to the children and grandchildren of the Sun King, Louis XIV, while the latter transmitted hers through her daughter with Emperor Leopold I.

220px-Detail_of_Marie_Th%C3%A9r%C3%A8se_d%27Autriche_by_Nocret.jpg
220px-Francisco_Ignacio_Ruiz_de_la_Iglesia_%28attributed_to%29_-_Infanta_Margarita.jpg

Left: Maria Teresa de Austria (French: Marie-Thérèse d'Autriche), eldest surviving daughter of Felipe IV and wife to King Louis XIV of France
Right: Margarita Teresa (German: Margarete Theresia), daughter of Felipe IV with his second wife, and wife to Leopold I, Holy Roman Emperor

With Carlos II nearing death’s doorstep, and the western European powers not inclining for war, representatives from England, the Netherlands and France met at the Hague to discuss what to do with regards to the Spanish Succession as well as what they could gain from this.

The first matter of debate was whom was to succeed Carlos II. Immediately, the French put their preferred candidate, Louis. Louis was the Dauphin of France, the eldest son (and after 1672, his only surviving legitimate-born son) and thus heir to the throne of France. He was also the son born to the eldest daughter of Felipe IV, María Teresa. As a further argument (one that led to the War of Devolution in 1667-1668) was that the dowry that was to be paid to France from Spain, was never paid (as Spain never had the ability to do so) and as such, the previous agreement regarding the renunciation of the former Queen of France’s claims to the Spanish throne was invalidated. As many in Europe feared a Franco-Spanish personal union, which would upset the balance of power heavily in France’s favor (coupled with France gaining near-total hegemony in the Americas) he was immediately rejected.

Another potential candidate was another Habsburg. Leopold I, Leopold I had married the other surviving daughter of Felipe IV, Margarita Teresa, and sired four children with him before her death in 1673, two boys and two girls. However, of those four, only one, Maria Antonia survived infancy. This did not deter the Emperor. Despite his weaker claim compared to his French rivals, he had himself a smaller claim, as his maternal grandfather was King Felipe III. This was something that he could pass on to his two surviving sons, the Archdukes Joseph and Karl. Like the Grand Dauphin however, both were high up on the succession to the myriad of thrones that make up the Habsburg monarchy, to say nothing of the prestigious yet politically impotent Imperial throne. Because the other powers balked at the idea of a return to the Empire of Karl V, they too were passed aside.

220px-Hyacinthe_Rigaud_-_Louis_de_France%2C_Dauphin_%281661-1711%29%2C_dit_le_Grand_Dauphin_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg
170px-Mel%C3%A9ndez%2C_Miguel_Jacinto_-_Philip_V%2C_king_of_Spain%2C_in_suit_of_hunt_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg
200px-Archiduque_Carlos_de_Austria%2C_depois_Carlos_VI.jpg

Left: Louis, Dauphin of France, who was known as Le Grand Dauphin after the birth of his own son, also named Louis (nicknamed Le Petit Dauphin and styled Duke of Burgundy)
Center: Philippe, the second son of Le Grand Dauphin, and Duke of Anjou, who was also considered for the Spanish Succession
Right: Archduke Karl of Austria, the youngest son of Kaiser Leopold I. Due to being born to the Kaiser's third wife, Eleonore Magdalene, his claim was thus weaker than the French candidates, though no less important.

But there was still a potential for Maria Antonia, who her mother's claim was transferred to. She had married into the House of Wittelsbach, specifically Bavaria’s Elector, Maximilian II Emmanuel. Through this marriage, she gave birth to three children, of which only one, Joseph Ferdinand, survived childbirth.

Though the Electress consort died from complications stemming from his birth, the young child served not only as heir to his father's throne in Bavaria, but was a superb candidate, as Carlos II’s second cousin, to succeed the infirm man to the Spanish throne. It was further helped that the Queen of Spain, Maria Anna of Neuburg (known in Spain as Queen Mariana) was a member of the House of Wittelsbach, (albeit of a different branch, she was the daughter of the Count Palatine of Neuburg, alongside that of Leopold’s current wife and the Queen’s sister, Empress Eleonore Magdalene) and was the leader of the pro-Austrian faction in the Spanish court. In addition, Joseph Ferdinand had ties to the Austrian Habsburgs through his mother, as well as the Bourbons.[1]

220px-Joseph_Vivien_001.jpg
220px-Benjamin_von_Block_002.jpg
JosephFerdinand.jpg

Father, Mother and Child: From Left to Right, Maximilian II Emanuel (also known as Max Emanuel or Maximilian Emanuel), His Wife Maria Antonia, daughter of Kaiser Leopold I with his first wife, Margarita Teresa, and their sole surviving child, Joseph Ferdinand.

The parties would acquiesce on Joseph Ferdinand. The boy would become Carlos’ heir, and in exchange, France would gain the Kingdom of Naples and Sicily as well as the Spanish Lordship of Gizpukoa (alongside the albeit minor State of Presidi & Marquisate of Finale), while Archduke Karl, the younger son of the Holy Kaiser would receive the Duchy of Milan, thus giving the territory nominal independence for the first time since 1535. With the terms agreed to, the Treaty of the Hague, also known as the Partition Treaty would be signed on 11 October 1698 by the three powers.

The whole affair was conducted in secret, which while was the normal manner of business within absolutist France, it had caused a scandal in English (and to a lesser extent, Dutch) politics, to the point where the Lord Chancellor of England, Lord Baron John Somers would suffer attacks and attempts by his political opponents to be sacked (or worse.) Worse yet, the Spanish government, upon finding out of the treaty led Carlos II to develop his own solution. He would publish his will on 14 November 1698. In this, Carlos II named Joseph Ferdinand his heir over the undivided Spanish monarchy as a whole. Worse yet was the move of the French, placing Henry, Marquis d’Harcourt as French ambassador to Spain, and using his position to push for Le Grand Dauphin to be made Spanish King.

Despite these matters, the deal was set. At the time of the signing of the treaty , Joseph Ferdinand was at the informal capital of the Spanish Netherlands, Brussels, to be confirmed by the States of Flanders as heir to the Spanish throne. During this period there was a serious attempt to poison the boy, but the attempt was foiled.[2] Although there were suspicions of France being responsible for the attempted poisoning of Joseph Ferdinand, who would have had more to gain with the elector’s death, because the conspirators died under torture, nothing was proven.

640px-Brussel.1610.a.jpg

Bruxelles (circa 1610), The city had been devastated following the War of the Grand Alliance, and although mostly recovered, there was still much reconstruction underway.

Regardless of the matter, there was little that could be in the way now. On 14 March 1699, Joseph Ferdinand was confirmed by the Flemish Estates as heir to Carlos. This would be followed by a trip to Spain proper, meeting first with the Catalonian Estates in Barcelona, and later the Aragonese Cortes in Zaragoza over the summer months of 1699. Finally, on 19 September 1699, Joseph Ferdinand would meet with his ailing yet somewhat able cousin, King Carlos II, at the Royal Alcázar of Madrid. The young boy made an impression on Carlos II, who firmly believed that through José, the future of Spain as a Great Power would continue, the legacy of great Spanish rulers from Saint Fernando III to Felipe II would be kept.

It would be here that the decision on regency would be finalized, as it was unlikely Carlos II would survive to see José reach the age of majority. It was decided that the man to handle the head of the regency would be Cardinal Luis Manuel Fernández de Portocarrero, the Archbishop of Toledo and Primate of Spain. The other prominent members of the regency council to be would be Queen Mariana as well as her cousin, the Elector of Bavaria, Max Emanuel (who was keen in the interests of his son, of whom he had very high aspirations for.)

220px-Marie-Anne_de_Neubourg%2C_reine_d%27Espagne.jpg
220px-Retrato_del_Cardenal_Luis_Manuel_Fern%C3%A1ndez_de_Portocarrero.jpg

Left: Maria Anna (Spanish: Mariana) von Pfalz-Neuburg, Queen of Spain and leader of the pro-Austrian faction in court, taking over from the late Queen Dowager Maria Anna (Spanish: Mariana) of Austria.
Right: Luis Manuel Fernández de Portocarrero, Cardinal-Primate of Spain and leader of the pro-French faction in court

With that settled, it seemed that the succession for the young prince would be as smooth as possible, and all that would remain would be to, in a grim way, wait for Carlos II to croak. While this would finally happen by the first of November 1700, it seemed that the rigors of succession would still have a few bumps ahead.
----
[1]: Joseph’s uncle was Le Grand Dauphin, and therefore cousins to the Duke of Burgundy, Louis; the Duke of Anjou, Philippe; and the Duke of Berry, Charles.
[2]: The PoD. Okay, yes, I know that historically (and probably by contemporary sources) Joseph Ferdinand’s death was caused by smallpox. But since there was suspicions of poisoning, I went with that instead.

----
So hey, my first timeline...after joining five years...I'm not sure if I should feel proud or depressed now...

...All kiddings aside, this will focus (mainly) on the Spanish Empire as a whole, one not ruled by the usual Spanish TL candidates (Trastamaras, Habsburgs, Bourbons & Hohenzollerns...also Savoyards, but they're rarer than the above four), although I do have some ideas on what directions to take for the other nations involved (France, Italian States, New World et.al.) With plans to take it to at the very least, 1990.

Now I'm no expert on Spanish history (or really an expert on history in general), so feel free to criticize if needed if I screw up, and lets be real, I will screw up, but I'll have fun with it, and I hope you all will to.

Wittelsbach Spain? I'm interested...

Will there still be war ITTL? Louis XIV was a very ambitious man after all.

Louis XIV is indeed ambitious, but I think age has made him more pragmatic. I'm sure a Wittelsbach Spain has scuttled at the very least the alliance between Louis XIV with the Elector of Bavaria. Not sure on the position of his brothers though...

...of course though there is also both Savoy and Portugal to contend with as well.

One does not think of fun when balancing europe, but this does put a smile on my face.

Watching

To be fair, I never said I was of sound mind.

I've seen your signature around in the forum, so I decided to check out this timeline. Although my knowledge of Modern [1500-1800] Europe is pretty barren at best, you write well so I'll watch.

I'm so excited for this. Throw in a son for King Billy and it might become one of my favorites.

Last edited:
Okay, so for one, I'm honestly impressed I got the support I have thus far, and although I'm kinda stuck in a rut on where to go from there (spoiler alert: There will be war, because let's face it, Louis XIV even in his old age and despite a legacy of greatness, can be a bit of a d***), I'm am still committed to continuing with hopes I'll get a chapter out before the month's over.

(PPS: Right now, I'm trying to draw the battle lines, and the hard part is...who is Portugal and Savoy going to side with?)

I'm so excited for this. Throw in a son for King Billy and it might become one of my favorites.

Unfortunately, I feel like that may not happen. Mary II has been dead for five years at this point, and William III/II had no plans to remarry (IOTL he never did, and would die eight months into the WoSS). So unfortunately, the House of Orange will still not be destined to last in the British Isles.

Now, does that mean the Hanoverians are destined to inherit too? It depends on if Anne's last child (IOTL a stillborn son born and died on 24 January 1700) isn't stillborn. Still thinking on whether an Oldenburger Britain is as tantalizing as VVD0D95 makes it out to be. (Still trying to read it though, really hard when you have 200+ chapters and I've haven't even cracked triple digits...)

VVD0D95

Banned
Okay, so for one, I'm honestly impressed I got the support I have thus far, and although I'm kinda stuck in a rut on where to go from there (spoiler alert: There will be war, because let's face it, Louis XIV even in his old age and despite a legacy of greatness, can be a bit of a d***), I'm am still committed to continuing with hopes I'll get a chapter out before the month's over.

(PPS: Right now, I'm trying to draw the battle lines, and the hard part is...who is Portugal and Savoy going to side with?)

Unfortunately, I feel like that may not happen. Mary II has been dead for five years at this point, and William III/II had no plans to remarry (IOTL he never did, and would die eight months into the WoSS). So unfortunately, the House of Orange will still not be destined to last in the British Isles.

Now, does that mean the Hanoverians are destined to inherit too? It depends on if Anne's last child (IOTL a stillborn son born and died on 24 January 1700) isn't stillborn. Still thinking on whether an Oldenburger Britain is as tantalizing as VVD0D95 makes it out to be. (Still trying to read it though, really hard when you have 200+ chapters and I've haven't even cracked triple digits...)

Always happy to help if you want :)

And aha, my mind wanders sometimes

That fact Spain got a heir in time is good.

The fact Spain would not agree over the treaty discussed to place such heir is surely more controversial. Alliances may swirl in those years, and the Iberian kingdom would have to weather likely the incoming French storm. Too much was promised to Louis and now he won't get neither Spain nor chunks of it...

That fact Spain got a heir in time is good.

The fact Spain would not agree over the treaty discussed to place such heir is surely more controversial. Alliances may swirl in those years, and the Iberian kingdom would have to weather likely the incoming French storm. Too much was promised to Louis and now he won't get neither Spain nor chunks of it...
Why won't France get Naples/Sicily, as agreed to in the Treaty? It's unclear whether Austria was part of the treaty (unlike OTL, where they flat out rejected it), but that ultimately won't matter if England stands by the treaty. Austria and/or Spain can't prevent France from taking it, and England/Dutch Republic won't fight over Italy. What Spain wants is almost entirely immaterial.

Whether France or Austria will actually abide by the treaty is another matter.

Why won't France get Naples/Sicily, as agreed to in the Treaty? It's unclear whether Austria was part of the treaty (unlike OTL, where they flat out rejected it), but that ultimately won't matter if England stands by the treaty. Austria and/or Spain can't prevent France from taking it, and England/Dutch Republic won't fight over Italy. What Spain wants is almost entirely immaterial.

Whether France or Austria will actually abide by the treaty is another matter.

Given the animosity between England and France in this era, it's not entirely inconceivable that London could look to stab Louis XIV in the back and fight against him claiming what was promised him in the treaty.

Given the animosity between England and France in this era, it's not entirely inconceivable that London could look to stab Louis XIV in the back and fight against him claiming what was promised him in the treaty.
But what of the austrians and the wittelsbachs themselves?
Both have the potential to be grave threats to brittania, if things go well for them. Already, the wittelsbachs have spain, bavaria, the palatinate, and sweden. All in different branches, yes, but with the austrian succession coming, there is a VERY real prospect of the house of wittelsbach becoming as big a threat to britain as habsburg was in the 1500s/1600s.

And, of course, austria can always regain spain somehow. God help us if they begin waving their jaws about, again.

Britain is in a dangerous position in this timeline. They might not know it, but things could get bad.

And, thinking about it, they don't really have many options for allies in the coming war. Denmark? The netherlands? Portugal, obviously, but they alone can't keep the wind blowing in brittania's sails.

II: Peace in our time? Not while I’m the King of France!
II
Peace in our time? Not while I’m the King of France!
1700-1702

320px-Alcazar_de_Madrid_siglo_XVII.jpg

The Real Alcázar of Madrid, the one-time fortress, and now home to the Spanish kings and their court.

The death of Carlos I in 1700 left Joseph Ferdinand to take the throne, assuming the name José I, and as such the regency came into effect to rule in the name of the eight year-old boy. Unfortunately, while the succession seemed to be an orderly affair, events surrounding their northern neighbor proved to be anything but. France lost the aims by diplomacy, and wanted instead to turn to war to settle the matter completely.

But France was largely alone in this endeavor at the time. Louis XIV’s potential ally to be was Maximilian II Emmanuel, who had ambitions for the Imperial throne, and was frustrated by the lack of increase in prestige after having served as Governor of the Spanish Netherlands, as he had since 1692. However, with the appointment of his eldest son to the Spanish throne [1], those ambitions have since largely waned, as now he had to look to the securing of the Wittelsbach legacy, now that they inherited a royal throne as a consolation prize. With Max out of the picture, Louis XIV’s strongest ally within the empire has all but dried up.

220px-Louis_XIV_of_France.jpg

Louis XIV, King of France. His being spurned by his once ally Max Emanuel was a slight he wasn't going to forget.

However there was still the matter of whether the regency wished to follow through with the Partition Treaty or follow through with the will of Carlos II, divide the empire or keep it united. This of course led to the bickering between the regents, the Queen Dowager, Mariana (who was the leader of the pro-Austrian faction during the later reign of Carlos II), being a proponent of pro-Carlist[2] settlement, whereas Cardinal Portocarrero (who was the de facto leader of the Pro-French faction) supporting the partition. This served to put Max in a position as the moderating figure between the two extremes, as Max had more amicable relations between the two factions.

In his view, there were advantages to support for each side. One on hand, partitioning the Empire in Europe would be ideal on the diplomatic front, gaining him some favor with the Emperor by giving him Milan, as well as potentially staving off French invasion by giving France the Two Sicilies. But Max Emanuel saw the need to win the local Spanish nobles over in support for the child King, and instead chose to side with the Queen Dowager and keep Spain an undivided monarchy, according to the wishes of the late King.

While this move was taken with indifference from England (the Tories in the English Parliament preferred the will of Carlos II over the Partition Treaty, likely due to its secretive nature in its development, and would not fight Spain over any breach so long as it does not affect English commerce.) and disappointment but acceptance by both Habsburg Austria and the Dutch Republic, it was treated with condemnation from the French, and many within the French party in Spain. Slowly but surely, it seemed, France would balk at the feeling of being surrounded by hostile forces, a feeling France had endured from the previous war.

With Max Emanuel no longer being counted on as a reliable ally against Imperial ambitions, French diplomacy now turned towards supporting allies that could benefit from the takeover of Spanish lands. One such ally in this regard was the Duke of Savoy, Vittorio Amadeo II. Vittorio Amadeo had fought against France in the Nine Years’ War, where he successfully invaded the Dauphiné Viennois, the only commander to invade France proper. In doing so, he succeeded in regaining Pinerolo after being lost by his predecessor and namesake, Vittorio Amadeo I.

190px-Vittorio_Amedeo_II_in_Maest%C3%A0_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

Vittorio Amadeo II, the Duke of Savoy. As part of his courting of the French in the lead-up to the upcoming war, he married off his second daughter, Maria Luisa, to the Duke of Anjou. His first daughter (Maria Adelaide) was already wed to the Dauphin.

While diplomatically, Savoy was aligned with the Habsburgs, considering France’s previous occupations, the Duke also had eyes on the Duchy of Milan, now held by the Bavarians. Scorned as a result of not getting the lands as compensation for abrogating his claim to the Spanish throne [3], he began to court the French, much like his father and grandfather before him. [4]

Another potential ally in this affair was that of the Kingdom of Hungary. The Habsburg portion of the Hungarian Kingdom was enlarged to near the size of the former Kingdom prior to the Mohacs disaster. There was a prior rebellion in the region in the late 1670s and early 1680s, led by Imre Thököly, which was supported by Louis XIV, and endorsed further by the Ottoman sultan Mehmed IV. Because of the Ottoman’s defeat at Vienna in 1683, the Kingdom was treated as a co-belligerent of the Turks and regarded not as territory liberated by the Ottomans when the Great Turkish War raged in Hungarian lands, but newly conquered territory, the peasantry and nobility being treated in a somewhat harsh manner.

Ferenc II, the head of the House of Rákóczi was the stepson of Imre Thököly, whose grandfather and great-grandfather ruled the lands of Transylvania, was courted by pro-French supporters to carry the banner of independence from Habsburg rule. The plans were briefly halted when Austrian spies intercepted these communications and were able to imprison Rákóczi at the Wiener Neustadt fortress, with plans to ultimately execute him for treason. But thanks to the intervention of the nobleman’s wife Amalia and the prison commander, Rákóczi escaped and fled to the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, where he, alongside his friend Count Miklós Bercsényi continued to plot against Habsburg rule in Hungary.

220px-Thokolyi.jpg
250px-II._R%C3%A1k%C3%B3czi_Ferenc_M%C3%A1nyoki.jpg

Left: Késmárki Thököly Imre, who led a revolt against the Habsburgs with support from the Ottoman sultan.
Right: Rákóczi Ferenc II, the former's stepson, and successor to the cause of Hungarian Independence

With the allies courted and plans in place, the stage was set for France to begin their more provocative attempts at achieving one final victory. This would begin with the death of the former king, now pretender, to the triple thrones of the British Isles. James II of England and Ireland & VII of Scotland, one-time Duke of York and later succeeding his elder brother Charles II, was deposed [5] by the Glorious Revolution that brought William III & II and his wife Mary II to the throne. As the Treaty of Rijswijk stated that France was not to support the claims of James II & VII or his descendants, Louis XIV purposely reneged on the former king’s death, supporting the claims of James’ son, James Francis Edward Stuart, known by his regnal name of James III & VIII.

220px-Dahl%2C_Michael_-_Queen_Anne_-_NPG_6187.jpg
190px-James_Francis_Edward_Stuart_c._1703_attributed_to_Alexis_Simon_Belle.jpg

Queen Anne, and James Francis Edward Stuart, half-siblings and now rivals to the throne and legacy of the British Isles

This would be further exacerbated with the death of William III/II, terminating the House of Orange’s rule in England, and with it, the personal union between England and the United Provinces [6], with the King’s sister-in-law, Anne being confirmed Queen of England, Scotland & Ireland. Still, the Protestant succession seemed secure, as Anne had earlier conceived a healthy baby boy as it seemed prior to the King’s death [7]. The prince, named George , after his father, the Danish-born Duke of Cumberland, would in a way pin hopes to a secure succession. Still, the threat of another Jacobite uprising was still very real among Catholics and those who supported James III/VIII as the legitimate King.

Further threats eroded support from the Tory’s to oppose war with France, namely the imposition of French tariffs on English and Spanish imports, harming trade. But the move that would start the Second War of the Grand Alliance would be a move that kicked off the first. On 1 September 1702, two years to the day of the accession of José I to the Spanish throne, Louis XIV would publish a manifesto which listed his grievances. He not only rejected the Spanish court’s decision to follow Carlos II’s will, but also rejected outright the Treaty of the Hague. Louis XIV believed that since the dowry was never paid to him, the renunciation of his late’s wife’s position in the line of succession was invalid, and since she was the eldest daughter of Felipe IV, then by right the throne of Spain should be given to one of her children or her descendents. For this, Louis purposely chose the young Duc d’Anjou, Philippe to claim the throne of Spain, all the while ensuring via the Parliament of Paris that he would remain in line for the French succession. [8]

Before the manifesto could be successfully interpreted by the forces of the Grand Alliance, sending the main French army southwards through Catalonia en route to besiege the Spanish city of Barcelona.

300px-Setge_de_Barcelona_de_1705.jpg

The Comte de Tessé overseeing the Siege of Barcelona

The Second War of the Grand Alliance has begun.
----
[1]: By the time of the PoD, Max Emmanuel still had children from his second wife, Therese Kunigunde Sobieska, in the form of Karl Albrecht (OTL’s Kaiser Karl VII), Philipp Moritz (who in OTL was posthumously elected Bishop of Paderborn & Munster), and Ferdinand Maria (an Imperial Field Marshal in OTL). Who knows how their future will change now that their elder step brother holds the Spanish throne, and is also heir to the Electorate of Bavaria.
[2]: Not to be confused with the historical Carlists, of course.
[3]: Vittorio Amadeo II’s great-grandmother was Infanta Catalina Micalea de Austria, the youngest daughter of Felipe II with his third wife, Isabel de Valois. As such his claim was weaker than either José I, the Bourbon claimants or even those of Kaiser Leopold.
[4]: Unlike in OTL where the Duke was more or less forced under duress to side with the Bourbons in the War of the Spanish Succession, largely due to him being surrounded by Bourbon lands.
[5]: Actually more a case of, he fled England, and Parliament treated it as he abdicated.
[6]: As per OTL, the office of Stadtholder of Holland, Zeeland & Utrecht would be rendered vacant, while the Stadtholder of Friesland and Guelders, Johann Willem Friso would become the new Prince of Orange. The Prince by the way being a descendent of Frederick Henry and thus a distant cousin of William III.
[7]: This was actually Anne’s last pregnancy IOTL, who was a stillborn birth. Here it is carried to term successfully, thus, Oldenburgs on the British Throne. Thanks VVD0D95!
[8]: The last bit he did in the lead up to OTL’s War of the Spanish Succession.
----

Yeah, Yeah, I know it took a bit of time to get this going (case in point, I stayed up until 11:30 getting the final proofreading done, especially after having finished work at 10:30, thank collegiate American football for that one.) But chapter 2 is up. Chapter 3 is being worked on, and hopefully I'll get it out at a much quicker pace than the frame from Chapter 1 to 2. (No promises though, sadly.)

Please comment or criticize if there are any mistakes.

VVD0D95

Banned
I look forward to what happens next. With Anne having a son Tory support for the jacobites will be lessened somewhat

I only wish I could write in this much technical detail in my own TL attempts. Very much looking forward to wherever this ends up.