A House of Lamps: A Moorish America

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: Before 1900' started by dontfearme22, Oct 23, 2017.

1. dontfearme22 Chicalotlatonti

updates will become shorter and more infrequent due to irl committments, but I will ensure I force myself to put in a little bit of work when I can to keep them coming. If at some point I have to do a extended hiatus to focus elsewhere, ill post about it. Otherwise, take my silence as a indication of continued progress.

2. corourke Member Donor

Can't wait to see what happens in south America

inawarminister likes this.
  3. Ultima Ratio The Last Baron

English Southern Cone, calling it now.

dontfearme22 and Mightyboosh5 like this.
  4. mythmonster2 Well-Known Member

Hm, with no Portugal, are any Europeans trying to go around Africa in this timeframe?

5. dontfearme22 Chicalotlatonti

Good catch. There aren't really any. Instead it is the Moors, but unlike the Portuguese the Moors are more invested in inland trade and therefore have less of a drive to explore for virgin ports in the south (they already have access to the salt and gold Saharan trade routes the Portuguese hungered for, for example). The main contrast with OTL is that much of Western Africa is going to be more thoroughly islamized in this timeline, and there will also be more islamic intrusion into Kongo and farther south. Right now the Arabs have reached all the way down the western African coast, but the limit of actual definite trade is around northern Angola. In general coastal African trade is underdeveloped compared to OTL, due to a lack of interest and resources.

6. JustAnotherFailedState Well-Known Member

Wasnt the death rate being so high also a result of occupation and maltreatment (as well as and in addition to foodstock distrubancess and the like)rather than just disease alone? It is harder to fight off infection if your already under a great of strain. With just disease alone wouldnt it be closer to something like 70 percent? Or at least I remember hearing something like that in The Sons Of Inti will Survive thread.

7. dontfearme22 Chicalotlatonti

yes, yes, yes and yes.

Just because the moors aren't going 100% down the "kill them all, god will sort it out" route doesn't mean they are angels. There is widespread violence against natives, especially non-converted ones, mistreatment, discrimination and slave trading all above the massive cultural conflicts, demographic changes and catastrophic spread of disease.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018 at 11:36 AM
    Mightyboosh5 likes this.
  8. JustAnotherFailedState Well-Known Member

This Is a wonderful world youve crafted...but have you considered adding tags to the thread to make it easier to find? like say: ''Islamic Ibera'' and ''New World'' ''North America'' ''South America'' ''Castile'' ''Muslim Mayas FTW'' ''Moorish Americas'' and similiar?

9. CountDVB Well-Known Member

This is amazing! Just go and take your rest and such

10. dontfearme22 Chicalotlatonti

what and make it easier for people to follow? Just make them notice all my plot-holes. No chance

[I'm still relatively new to formatting in this website and am rather uncomfortable with more intricate formatting like tags, shame as it is to say]