A House Divided Against Itself: An 1860 Election Timeline

Now, I do have an entire plan for this TL and its presidents going into the 20th Century.

Alternatively, I could make Donnelly president for life and have him final open up the eyes of the world.

See, these are the kind of tough decisions you have to make when writing a TL;).

Funnily enough, ol' Ignatius has shown up in my own research lately - though not for the sunken continent-sized elephant in the room that you'd expect :D

Personally, War of Southern Aggression is pretty darn accurate in my eyes, though not all my fellow Virginians think so.
They were the first ones to fire, after all. The cannon ball craters on Fort Sumter can not lie.
Personally, I like the name used in the Dominion of Southern America timeline here: The Slavers' Rebellion.
Oh, that is another good one, even if it seems unlikely to be adopted in an academic setting. Nevertheless, still better than the Tariff Rebellion!
Funnily enough, ol' Ignatius has shown up in my own research lately - though not for the sunken continent-sized elephant in the room that you'd expect :D
Ah, it must be for his ground-shaking discovery that all of Shakespeare was written by Francis Bacon, I presume?

XXV: From the Halls of Congress to the Shores of Mississippi
View attachment 723869

As the Cartel closed the deal on building the northern rail line, a looming issue still hung over them as they geared up to start construction of their road: Vanderbilt had started first. Without the need for managerial organization and congressional lobbying that the Cartel depended on to secure their contract, Vanderbilt had managed to achieve over a month-long head start in construction, beginning January 23, 1862 in comparison to February 28 for the Cartel. While the challenges laying ahead for the two lines ensured that this advantage was far from deciding in the Great Railroad Race, it certainly was disconcerting for the top brass of the Cartel. Even if Vanderbilt was liable to face the scorching heat of the Arizona deserts and threats for Comanche raiders, the Rocky Mountains literally loomed over the ambitions of the Cartel. Thus, the Cartel took measures to, as Field termed it, "straighten the telegraph wire" in their competition with Vanderbilt.

This, of course, meant the deployment of their lobbyists, who by now had contacts with almost every congressman one way or another. Before they could begin their campaign against Vanderbilt, however, the Cartel decided to take on a mutually beneficial issue: securing of protection from the U.S. Army for the railroads. While it was proposed as a measure to counteract "hoodlumery and delinquency", it was quite apparent to those involved that was being asked for permission for the railroads to trample Native lands with the protection of U.S. soldiers against any of their protests or raids. In a private telegram to Fisk, Durant would ask him how his efforts to gain congressional support on "the savage question" were going. The similar sentiments were expressed in other extent sources of their lobbying efforts.

The hold-up for the congressmen on this issue sprouted not for concern for the Natives, but over the prerequisite expenditures and logistics of deploying troops in the field for an indefinite period and, for the Southerners at least, what other purposes a large body of soldiers might be used for. The issue of cost was fairly issue to negate, as the construction of the railroad was already an expensive endeavor, so throwing on a few more additional costs did not deeply chagrin Congress. The matter of the soldiers proved slightly harder to surmount, but in the words of William Vanderbilt, whom his father had sent to secure the troops, "We merely reminded the Southerners we were building west, not east."

This, combined with assurances from Secretary of War Wright that the deployments would be limited to a single regiment and that the one accompanying the Southern Sea Line would have a loyal Southerner at its head, put the issue to rest. As a result, the further appropriations for the troops were easily passed through Congress. Accompanying the Cartel and the Northern Sea Line would Colonel Philip St. George Cooke and the 2nd Dragoons, while Colonel Albert S. Johnston and the 2nd Cavalry would join Vanderbilt and the Southern Sea Line. Both of these were experienced officers who had experience working with more politically involved and complex operations, with Cooke a veteran of Bleeding Kansas and Johnston leading U.S. troops in the Mormon War.
philip%20st.%20george%20cooke1.jpg
Albert-Sidney-Johnson-41-237x300.jpg

Colonels Philip St. George Cooke and Albert Sidney Johnston
Ultimately, the railroad barons proved well-founded in their concerns, as Native raids became increasingly common the further west the lines were built. Johnston, a former soldier of the Texas Republic, knew the area he was traversing as well as the strategies and culture of the Comanche, who were the most common raiders of the Southern Sea Line. His knowledge would prove invaluable in counteracting their efforts, even if on occasion they managed to pull off a coup, including once decimating an entire rail crew before protection could arrive and forcing thirst on the workers by their destruction of a water caravan. These victories, however, would prove to be the exception rather than the norm for the Comanche. As construction continued and the attacks intensified, Johnston and his men grew increasingly adept at handling their raids, with no large scale Native victory being achieved against the railroad once they were out of Texas.

Cooke, meanwhile, had not only to deal with the Natives, who admittedly were less aggressive than their southern counterparts, but political agitators as the line moved through the Nebraska Territory. Stirred by addresses coming out of the Deep South that attacked the railroad as the North's attempt to claim the territory for their own, men who had formerly been involved in Bleeding Kansas found a new manner to strike out against the dreaded Yankee. They now could attack his rail line. Throughout the Nebraska Territory disruptions and incidents caused by pro-slavery antagonists were three times as common as those enacted by the local Native groups. Used to such men, Cooke took swift action to quash them when they appeared, but it always seemed a trickle of men from Missouri would come to take their place. In one incident, Cooke would publicly execute the teenaged James brothers from Missouri for attempting to rustle some of the railroad's horses.
View attachment 723886
Members of the 2nd U.S. Cavalry
Even with their victory in securing the support of the U.S. Army, however, the Cartel still had to contend with the head start gained by Vanderbilt. To this point, Jim Fisk would develop an ingenious solution to place Vanderbilt literally back at where he started. Vanderbilt had begun construction of the Southern Sea Line west of the Mississippi River in New Orleans, knowing constructing a bridge over its waters would be a costly and time-consuming endeavor that he did not want to tackle in the midst of his race. Fisk would rightfully point out, however, that the purpose of the transcontinental railroads had been to connect east and west, which was rendered moot if Vanderbilt's line remained west of the Mississippi River. This arguments proved effective in swaying Congress and Crittenden, with them soon informing Vanderbilt that their contract include the bridging of the Mississippi. This had not been specifically written out, but lines in it concerning the bridging of east and west proved sufficient for their efforts.

Vanderbilt took this defeat in stride, suspecting the involvement of the Cartel behind the scenes but fulfilling his instructions nevertheless. To spite them, however, Vanderbilt did not pull a single construction crew from the Southern Sea Line to begin work on what would become Vanderbilt Bridge. Instead, he decided to bear the costs of additional crews to simultaneously work on spanning the Mississippi while the others kept moving west. The Cartel still had one more trick on their sleeve, however. Realizing the bridge would be the starting point of his line for all traveling westward, Vanderbilt wanted to construct a grand and modern structure. He also noted the fierce conditions of the Mississippi in the region, and thus decided only one product was suitable for his project: steel.

No factory in America could produce the steel in the quantities he required, however, meaning he was forced to import product from Great Britain. To serve as funnel for his goods, Vanderbilt would employ Andrew Carnegie as his agent to secure their purchase due to his reported familiarity with and knowledge of the industry. In Vanderbilt's mind, Carnegie was a small player in Eastern railroads. Vanderbilt certainly had no knowledge of the crucial role he was playing in the Northern Sea Line's structure as one of their top lobbyists. Thus, almost all the commissions Vanderbilt paid Carnegie were in turn invested into the Northern Sea Line, a process that occurred throughout the two years of construction on the bridge. It was only after the Great Railroad Race was completed that Vanderbilt would learn whose side Carnegie was really working for, causing him to say of the immigrant, "Truly this man will be the titan of his age. He already has the titans of this one in his pocket."
Eads_Bridge_construction-800x390.jpg

Construction on the Vanderbilt Bridge
I have not checked in here in a while but I have just gotten caught up on this timeline and must say again, amazing work!

XXVI: We Are All Democrats, We Are All Republicans, We Are All Unionists
XXVI: We Are All Democrats, We Are All Republicans, We Are All Unionists
NPG-NPG_84_183Harrison-000001.jpg

As the new year of 1863 began, Crittenden could begin to feel that his strength was failing. Throughout January, he frequently complained to his nephew and personal secretary Thomas T. Crittenden of pain as a result of any strenuous physical exertion, including even climbing up and down the stairs of the Executive Mansion. By February, his breathing was notably more labored and all appointments and meetings with the presidents were cancelled indefinitely sans the gathering of his cabinet. For the first time in the history of the nation, it was clear several weeks in advance that the president was imminently about to die but he still was able fulfill the duties of his office, albeit belabouredly. Discussions began floating around the capital about what should be done in these circumstances, but just as the Constitution was hopelessly vague on the status of the vice-president in the case of the death of the president, it did not even acknowledge at all what should be done in the case of growing presidential disability.

What was even more worrisome was Crittenden's vice-president. Although he was by no means a radical, Abraham Lincoln had run as a Republican and been elected mostly by Republicans in the Senate contingent election. Not a single Southern Democrat in that body had voted for him. From the outset, Crittenden knew that death might be an eventuality for him while in office. As a result of these things, Crittenden had proactively taken some measures to prepare for the ascension of his vice-president. This broke tradition by giving the vice-president an active role to play in the administration, including inviting him to cabinet meetings, but Crittenden believed the situation necessitated the change. Hardly any fuss was raised within the District at the departure from custom.

Lincoln, for his own part, also realized the gravity of the situation and had gone along with Crittenden's efforts, serving as a point-man in some of Crittenden's more reconciliatory measures such as his cabinet and Supreme Court nominations and the Railroad Bill. He had even helped broker a deal in the U.S. Senate to give Southern Democrat William K. Sebastian the position of President Pro Tempore as no party held a majority within the chamber and in the final weeks began taking on some of the meetings that Crittenden was unable to attend. By these measures, Lincoln had come to make himself known to many of the most influential power players within the South, which Crittenden hoped would allow them to see the more moderate side of Lincoln. This, combined with Lincoln actively moderating his rhetoric and actions, his genial and generally unoffending and unthreatening personality, and Yancey's Rebellion remaining fresh in the memories of their minds, certainly made many of those men pause to consider if a Lincoln administration was really worth secession.
lincoln_at_House_of_Rep-shaw_large.jpg

Vice-President Lincoln entering the Senate chamber
Thus, when Crittenden collapsed at his desk in his office on May 13, 1863, the issue of succession could not have been weighing too overly heavy on his mind. Unable to leave bed, the best doctors that could be found were brought to treat him, but Crittenden would decline to receive anything beyond pain relief. "The Lord is calling me home," he is said to have whispered to one doctor preparing to treat him, "he knows Lincoln is a good man, and now that Congress does as well I can go to meet him." Of course, this quotation was rapidly leaked to the press outside, only further calming the nerves of the nation to know Crittenden had confidence in the steadiness of his successor. On the morning of May 15, Crittenden dismissed the doctors, thanking them for their care and asking them to send in his family and a few close friends. Surrounded by those he loved, President John J. Crittenden would pass away at 9AM that day, with his last words being to his wife: "Know, Elizabeth, that I shall meet you again".

In a perhaps scandalous manner, the capital had already began preparation, albeit quietly, for the death of their leader. Certainly no newspaper made any comment on this, in any case. Thus, by noon, most buildings were already draped in black and mourning had begun. In a highly organized ceremony that had reportedly been planned out earlier in the week, Chief Justice Roger B. Taney delivered the oath of office to Vice-President Lincoln in the presidential office in front of Crittenden's cabinet, President Pro Tempore Sebastian, and House Speaker Owen Lovejoy. Abraham Lincoln was now the 17th president of the United States of America.

With a crowd already gathered outside the building to hear a speech from their new chief executive, Lincoln went outside to give them what he would later term "a few appropriate remarks". Lincoln would begin by acknowledging the tragedy of the moment, listing the long service of Crittenden to his country and how he had served to keep them united. He then discussed he how intended to follow in the example of Crittenden and govern as he believed he would have done. This, of course, came as a terrible shock to some Republicans who had eagerly believed Lincoln's ascension would final right the injustice of 1860, but those close to the power knew that by 1862 Lincoln had become a Unionist in everything but name (with Lincoln changing that final caveat shortly into his tenure). In concluding, Lincoln would reference the inaugural address of another president taking office in a highly polarized time, paralleling Jefferson's quotations about Federalists and Republicans by saying, "We are all Democrats, we are all Republicans, and we are all Unionists."

While not a great address by any measure, Lincoln said what the country both wanted and needed to hear in the trying time it was undergoing. He had made clear, to the chagrin of some and the joy of others, that he would act to make sure the house would not be divided under his watch. A new generation of politicians had finally reached the presidency, but for the moment it seemed the example of the past was to serve as the basis for governance for the future.

Last edited:
With the Civil War seemingly averted, when do you see slavery dying a "natural" death? Around the same time Brazil ended slavery IOTL?

Huh, I guess we might see a very different Lincoln presidency then. I also like how you alluded to another TL of yours in the title of this update.
Very much so. Let's just say Lincoln won't maintain the reputation he has IOTL, and there certainly will be no Lincoln Memorial.
Instead the memorial will be built to his successor

As for the title of this chapter, I thought that it would be fun through back. Even if I never fully completed that one, it was still fun at the time.
With the Civil War seemingly averted, when do you see slavery dying a "natural" death? Around the same time Brazil ended slavery IOTL?
Lincoln might have temporarily assuaged the fears of the South, but there are plenty of Republicans still looming about for them to worry about...

Now that you bring up Brazil, however, I do hope to feature them ITTL eventually (although I don't suspect they will show up for a while). I have a couple small plans for them in my notes which I'll need to develop into something more before I do.
Man what a twist! Lincoln switches his party affiliation to Unionist, certainly did not see that one coming!
I'm glad to surprise. There are certainly many more twists coming down the road!

So, does this mean that the Unionist party might have some success North of the Mason-Dixon Line?
Their appeal is certainly growing. Moderate Republicans iced out by the growing radicalism of their party and Northern Democratic dissatisfied with the Doughfaces in leadership are certainly finding the party an attractive proposition.

marktaha

Banned
Not unconvincing- the Republican Party hadn't been around very long and Lincoln surely ran.as a "Union" candidate in 1864.

Not unconvincing- the Republican Party hadn't been around very long and Lincoln surely ran.as a "Union" candidate in 1864.
One of the interesting things about Lincoln, at least in my opinion, is his unqiue ability to separate his own personal political beliefs from what he believed was the public good. Of course, this facet of his character would cut both ways IOTL, but ITTL it results in Lincoln being willing to switch party labels if it will help keep the nation united. Lincoln ITTL certainly sits at the more liberal end of the burgeoning party, but that still places him near the political center at this point.

XXVII: The Lincoln Administration
XXVII: The Lincoln Administration
Abraham_Lincoln_O-90_by_Berger,_1864 2.jpg

To the relief of Lincoln, the country did not dissolve the moment he took the oath of office. There were a few within the Deep South that called for secession, but with Yancey Rebellion so fresh in the minds of the general public the established leaders within the region were not eager to take so radical an action over so moderate of a man. This is not to say they fully trusted Lincoln, as they were constantly looking for deception and traps in whatever actions he took, but the calls for disunion were not ringing from the halls of Congress, at least not in response to him. Lincoln had become a Unionist, as members of the Constitutional Union Party were increasingly being referred to as, and he was determined to uphold the party's promise that the Union and the Constitution must be upheld and preserved.

Of course, this brought him into conflict with many men who just three years prior had been calling for his election to the vice-presidency. The Senate lacked an effective majority as it stood divided between 34 Republicans, 31 Democrats, and 3 Unionists. Only Lincoln's previous diplomacy as vice-president allowed William K. Sebastian to stay on as president pro tempore. This highlighted, of course, the inability of Lincoln to appoint a vice-president to break the deadlock. To this end Lincoln would quietly try to maneuver behind the scenes to pass legislation allowing him to do so, but Republicans still bitter over his abandonment of the party were in no mood to perform him any favors, especially if it would further weaken their position. Thus, Lincoln found himself constrained to moderation to achieve a degree of cross-over support from his two opposition parties. Of course, moderate man that he was, this would not hinder Lincoln too much, although it would find him unable to pass what he hoped would be his signature piece of legislation.

This was the Homestead Bill, by which he sought to encourage settlement of the West by poor farmers by offering them tracts of land in exchange for them developing and enriching them. Ultimately, the ambition would die at the hands of Southerners and Republicans. The former group feared it as a plot to establish the land as free soil territory, even as Lincoln denied popular sovereignty would be attached to it. Many Midwest Republicans would go along with it, knowing of its popularity with voters at home, but New England Republicans hoping to deny Lincoln a victory and were angered by his refusal to guarantee the land as free-soil worked. Together, the unlikely allies worked together to kill the bill. It would pass the House over the objections of Speaker Lovejoy, but would meet its death in the polarized Senate. Thus, the bill was left to languish until a later time.
WKSebastianCommons.jpg
200px-Hon._Owen_Lovejoy.png

President Pro Tempore William K. Sebastian and Speaker of the House Owen Lovejoy

Lincoln did manage to secure one victory from the encounter, however. Throughout his efforts to get the bill passed, Lincoln had sent out feelers to members of the opposition parties in the Senate to at first try and gain their support for passage. Later, however, this initiative would develop into an effort to convince them to switch parties. His primary targets in this effort would be Republican Edward Baker of Oregon and Democrats Lazarus Powell of Kentucky, George E. Pugh of Ohio, James W. Nesmith of Oregon, and most notably Stephen Douglas of Illinois. In his efforts, the first two would successfully be convinced, the third would decline outright, but most the latter two presented the most interesting proposition. Douglas knew that despite his victory in the 1860 nominating convention, the forces of the South and the Doughfaces within the party were still very strong, and had only been reinforced by his defeat in that election. His subsequent actions, often in contradiction with the will of the party establishment, had further isolated him and his faction within the party.

Thus, Douglas was left with a choice. He could either attempt to hold his ground in a party he formerly led but that was rapidly moving away from him or he could jump into a new, less-established party that he found himself increasingly agreeing with and who were eager to have him with his name recognition. Ultimately, Douglas proved he was still a fighter, but kept the door open on Lincoln's advances. He declined to switch affiliation at the moment, claiming to wait until the 1864 Democratic presidential nominating convention to measure the degree of influence he maintained with the organization. He said that the results of that event would determine whether he would remain a Democrat or switch to the Unionists. Nesmith, one of Douglas' closest affiliates within the Senate, agreed to abide with Douglas' decision. Glad that at least the door remained open, Lincoln agreed to keep the plans of the two men private until they had made their decision.

Regardless of their decision, he found himself in a stronger position. Baker and Powell, who both knew there was a strong likelihood of them facing a Unionist controlled (or at least influenced) assembly electing them come 1864, decided to switch ships on November 13, 1863, and hope for re-election. Lincoln now found himself dealing with a Senate consisting of 33 Republicans, 30 Democrats, and 5 Unionists, meaning that he could position the five members of his party in either camp to give a majority to either Republicans or Democrats. This, of course, certainly made them more responsive to his prerogatives as both parties sought to influence the Unionists to support them.
Baker_Edward_D._bb004278.jpg

Lincoln's old friend and ally Edward Baker
Lincoln would find more success dealing with his cabinet than Congress. Shortly after Crittenden's death, a shakeup ensued. Secretary of State Sam Houston and Secretary of the Treasury Francis Granger, both of who had been contemplating resignation due to their old age even before the precipitous decline of Crittenden's health, decided to take the opening of a new administration to turn in their resignation. Likewise, Secretary of the Navy William A. Graham, who did not want to serve under a Republican (even a former one) and who was eyeing the upcoming 1864 Senate election in his home state of North Carolina, resigned. Postmaster General Alexander H. Stephens was also reportedly planning his resignation, but a personal appeal from Lincoln, his old colleague and friend from the House, convinced him to stay in office. As a result, Lincoln was left with three vacancies within his cabinet, and he used the opportunity well.

All three men he would appoint were moderate Republicans, which not only ensured safe passage through the Senate (as this was before he had expanded the number of Unionists), but also signaled to other moderate Republicans that there was a place for them within the Unionist Party. For the State Department, Lincoln selected the man he had previously supported at the 1860 Republican National Convention: Edward Bates. Bates was already put off by the increasingly radical nature of the Republican Party, and thus was eager to accept what he viewed as an invitation to become a leader in the Unionist Party. For the Treasury Department, Lincoln nominated veteran politician Thomas Ewing, who had formerly held the position during the brief Harrison administration and had subsequently served as both a senator and Secretary of the Interior. Just like Bates, Ewing was eager to join the upper echelons of a party that matched his moderate views. To fill the last position as Secretary of the Navy, Lincoln appointed a rarity: North Carolina Republican Edward Stanly. By the time of his nomination, Stanly already identified with the Unionist Party, but his previous stand with the Republicans endeared him to many members of that party in the Senate and ensured a fairly easy confirmation.

If Lincoln's experiences with the legislative branch reflected the difficulties of his time in office and his experiences with the executive branches represented his triumphs, then Lincoln experiences with the judicial branch reflected both. On January 7, 1864, Associate Justice Caleb B. Smith would pass away after his almost three year tenure on the highest court in the land. Lincoln, who during his time as vice-president had proved crucial in securing Smith's approval, set to work just as vigorously to get his replacement approved. Ultimately, Lincoln would selected John A. Griswold, a man with sparse legal experience but who held a murky history of affiliations that had included all three parties in the past and remained unclear at the time of his nomination. What was most important to Lincoln, however, was his unswerving loyalty to the Union. This was followed, of course, by the expected ease of his approval. In this Lincoln would be proven right as Griswold's fluid stances and Lincoln's Senate sway ensured a swift approval.

Lincoln's other Supreme Court vacancy came on October 12, 1864 following the passing of Chief Justice Roger B. Taney, and it would reflect the other nature of Lincoln's time in office. This came, of course, in the heat of the presidential election and very near to Election Day. Beyond the simple hope that their man would win and get to select the new Chief Justice if he won in November, the Republicans in the Senate also hoped to deny the Unionists the morale victory of having one of their own sitting as Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. Thus, despite Lincoln's pleadings and maneuverings, Lincoln's nominee, Edward Bates, who had once easily passed the Senate vote for the State Department, found himself stonewalled by Republicans with eyes set on the future. As could be said with most of Lincoln's presidency, Lincoln would have his victories, but they were far from universal.
HD_griswoldJA.jpg

Associate Justice John A. Griswold

The Cabinet of Abraham Lincoln
Edward-Bates 2.jpg

Secretary of State Edward Bates

220px-ThomasEwingSr.jpg

Secretary of the Treasury Thomas Ewing Sr.

wright_0-jpeg.707705

Secretary of War Joseph A. Wright

Edward_Stanly_by_Brady.jpg

Secretary of the Navy Edward W. Stanly

JNeelyJohnson.jpg

Secretary of the Interior J. Neely Johnson

Everett.jpg

Attorney General Edward Everett

alexander_hamilton_stephens-jpg.707706

Postmaster General Alexander H. Stephens

To this end Lincoln would quietly try to maneuver behind the scenes to pass legislation allowing him to do so, but Republicans still bitter over his abandonment of the party were in no mood to perform him any favors, especially if it would further weaken their position.
This would be effectively impossible, since it'd require a Constitutional amendment. The offices of President and Vice-President are defined by the Constitution. The Constitution says that if the Presidency is vacant, the Vice-President assumes his duties, and Congress can legislate who takes the President's duties if there isn't a Vice-President to do it. But, in the 1860's, it says nothing about anyone taking the office of Vice-President when it's vacant - so it would just stay vacant till the next election.

IOTL, this would be patched with the Twenty-Fifth Amendment in 1967, after the Vice-Presidency had become a much more important part of the President's administration, and after Presidential succession had become a much more urgent matter in the Cold War. There wasn't really any perceived need till then - his only real duties were to preside over the Senate and be available if the President died, and the President Pro Tem was available for both in the unlikely case it'd be needed. I don't think enough people would see things differently ITTL for an Amendment to get off the ground.

This would be effectively impossible, since it'd require a Constitutional amendment. The offices of President and Vice-President are defined by the Constitution. The Constitution says that if the Presidency is vacant, the Vice-President assumes his duties, and Congress can legislate who takes the President's duties if there isn't a Vice-President to do it. But, in the 1860's, it says nothing about anyone taking the office of Vice-President when it's vacant - so it would just stay vacant till the next election.

IOTL, this would be patched with the Twenty-Fifth Amendment in 1967, after the Vice-Presidency had become a much more important part of the President's administration, and after Presidential succession had become a much more urgent matter in the Cold War. There wasn't really any perceived need till then - his only real duties were to preside over the Senate and be available if the President died, and the President Pro Tem was available for both in the unlikely case it'd be needed. I don't think enough people would see things differently ITTL for an Amendment to get off the ground.
Exactly. I was going to say this myself but you beat me to it.

Exactly. I was going to say this myself but you beat me to it.
Precisely why nothing occurred ITTL. Not many agreed with Lincoln's view that a change was needed (mostly for political reasons because it would weaken the position of his opposition parties in the Senate). Certainly not enough people thought it was a big enough deal for an amendment. Lincoln still tries to get them to act on an amendment, but he was well aware that the chances are essentially null that it will get off the ground.

XXVIII: The Dance Before Darkness
XXVIII: The Dance Before Darkness
service-pnp-ppmsc-03900-03938v.jpg

Even as the Lincoln presidency brought a much welcomed relief from the public outcries of secession that had sounded so loudly throughout the nation in the midst of the 1860 presidential election, the underlying issues still remained. Lincoln, despite managing to corral most of Congress into tolerating him, was strongly supported by a very small number of them, and almost everyone knew that he would not be able to resolve the burgeoning crisis even if his moderation had surely tempered it. Noted for the extravagance of his public receptions at the insistence of his First Lady and wife Mary, these events reflected the national mood surrounding his administration well. Politicians and leaders from across the nation and parties were invited and greeted each other with the necessary cordialities and pleasantries. As the nights progressed, however, this meshing of enemies would dissipate until they had separated out into their cliques. Often, Lincoln would attempt to bring everyone back together with some sort of communal event, commonly succeeding for the duration of the distraction but promptly dissolving once completed. When everyone had drifted out of executive mansion and returned to their residences, it frequently seemed that the divisions were more deeply entrenched then before it had even begun.

Nevertheless, Lincoln would continue to provide the surprising stability to the nation, even if he received little credit publicly for it. On the other hand, Congress, when outside of his parlors and halls, were quick to tear into each other as increasingly hostile and irreconcilables passels of politically-aligned congressmen worked to undermine each other and spewed increasingly less veiled threats. In one insistence, Democratic Representative William Barksdale of Mississippi threatened to "rupture the vacant skulls" of vocal Republican Representatives Edward Wade of Ohio and Roscoe Conkling of New York during a particular heated debate over raising tariffs. Conkling, an avid pugilist, quickly took him up on his challenge and offered to box him on the floor of the House. Cooler heads would prevail in the end, and the two men would return to their seats once they faced the hissing of many of their colleagues. When Speaker Lovejoy subsequently only brought a reprimand up against Barksdale for the incident, outcries from Southern Democrats echoed through the chamber, which were redoubled when the measure passed.

The Senate, which tended to be much more reserved in its rancor having witnessed the caning of Senator Sumner (who still sat at his desk), still witnessed its fair share of commotion as well. Even as one of the most common instigators, Senator Andrew Johnson of Tennessee, left the body in 1863, there were still several eager to pick a fight. Most notable among them were Louis T. Wigfall of Texas, an alcoholic noted for often bringing his long bladed Bowie knife to gatherings of the Senate. As the patricianly George F. Edmunds of Vermont would note in his diary, "The Roman Senate counted among its members the eloquent Cicero and principled Cato. Our body is rather distinguished by the wrathful Wigfall and treacherous Toombs."
imrs.php

Senator Louis T. Wigfall was noted for his fiery temperament to the chagrin of many of his fellow senators
Nevertheless, the nation continued onward. There were no great disputes over the territories at the moment in the style of Bleeding Kansas, as Kansas itself achieved statehood headed up by the free-soilers back in 1861. Instead, the Great Railroad Race held the attention of the general public and proved a much needed distraction from the vitriol of Congress. Because of this, Lincoln was sure to supply both sides with all the supplies, material, and soldiers they needed to efficiently continue their westward work. Maintaining the fragile alliance needed to get these requisitions through Congress seemed to be where Lincoln excelled. He publicly championed the project and implored congressman to support it in both public and private. In the halls of Congress themselves, the work of navigating these bills through the stormy waves of congressional party strife were left in the bipartisan and competent hands of Representatives Samuel Curtis of Iowa and Oakes Ames of Massachusetts in the House and Senator Stephen Douglas in the Senate. As a result, they rarely ran into snags

Ultimately, the biggest threat to the seeming noncombatant status of the requisitions in the congressional wars would come in early January. William Lloyd Garrison, a vocal critic of the Lincoln administration and always looking to nitpick its pet projects, took a bitter disliking towards the transcontinental railroads as he believed they would laying a pathway down for slavery to move westward. As a result, he would use his paper, The Liberator, to spread stories that Curtis and Ames were using their influence over the railroads to line their pockets. Ultimately, Garrison's accusations would inflame, although not his intended audience. Instead of sparking outrage among northern abolitionists, it proved a vindication of sorts for Southerners who had previously accused the project of being a scheme to enrich the North and its leaders.

Seeing his delicate coalition in peril, Lincoln would personally call for a full audit of the financial dealings surrounding the project. Swallowing his pride, he would even orchestrate the selection of one of the railroad's most vocal critics in the Senate, James Chestnut, to head the investigative committee. Given the power to potentially bring down the project, Chestnut would dive headfirst into the inquiry, eager to find evidence of corruption. Ultimately, he would find it, although not to the massive scale he had hoped. He would discover dubious at best financial activities being perpetuated by the Cartel and their lobbyists in Washington. This resulted in the Cartel having to sack several of the lobbyists they had grown infamous for, most notably George McClellan and the aptly named George F. Train, both of whom would go on to serve three years in prison for attempted bribery and swindling the government. The only member of Congress, however, found guilty of insider trading would be Ames, who would promptly resign his seat to avoid a likely impeachment. This brought to a relatively swift close to what was soon referred to as the Ames Scandal.
HD_amesO.jpg

Oakes Ames, who would go on to face no criminal charges for his involvement in the scandal bearing his name
Although the efforts at the railroad construction were surely hampered by the Chestnut Commission, as it came to be known, they were soon able to pick up steam again once the inspections were completed and continued relatively unharmed in its aftermath, much to Lincoln's relief. Despite the safe passage through the Ames Scandal, however, the Lincoln administration soon found itself with an even larger hurtle to overcome rapidly approaching. Namely, the year was 1864, which meant that the time for the next presidential election had come, and many ambitious men throughout the nation and of all affiliations were looking forward to their opportunity to attempt to seize the role of Chief Executive for themselves.

aw the thing with Lincoln is his life was tragic and well documented almost can't bear to see him miss his chance for greatness even if fictional
but on the other hand the story is so well written and the twists so intriguing its more like the fruit part of a cake.unpleasnet but helps make the whole