Status
Not open for further replies.
Ooh, neat. Its all neat. First TBH, my first thought was "How is this going to affect the 1996 film?"
Obvs the Why We Bummed Commies Fell trope in it and the may not carry over for one, nor
Phelps being a twist villain.

Classic Muppet humour abounds here! Even its origins are hilarious!
[1] In our timeline since the Paramount Fox Network (PFN) never existed Paramount took the Mission: Impossible 1988 reboot to ABC. Season One did fairly well on Sunday and Saturday, but then ABC for some reason (arrogance? Sabotage because the profit margins were too low? Ironically attempting an actual Mission: Impossible of beating Cosby?) moved it to the Thursday 8 PM slot for Season 2, up against The Cosby Show and A Different World, which went about as well as you’d expect (hint: there was no Season 3).
Now I wonder what was in that slot ITTL.

Can you guess what my next post is about? 😊
I know! Muppets Ado About Nothing! Seems like a perfect fit in humour!

Brilliant post, Geekhis! It sounds hilarious.

And having Tom Cruise as the “I’m Dying, Please Take My MacGuffin” spy figure is just the proverbial icing… for us; TTL has no idea why that’s particularly hilarious beyond “budding young action star Tom Cruise is a glorified cameo in a Muppets/Mission: Impossible crossover movie… But I’m betting that somewhere down the line, a certain G. Khan will spawn an AH (or whatever site it ends up being) TL in which Jim Henson never joined Disney and tragically passed in 1990, they have their own share of other RL tragedies like the car accident passing of Samantha Smith, the Balkans collapsed into genocidal Civil War/Tiananmen Square resulted in a bloodbath… and Tom Cruise starred in a distant sequel/soft reboot of M:I in which Jim Phelps turned evil, pissing off classic fans and Peter Graves himself in one fell swoop. And everyone in this more-utopic (but not perfect) world said: “This is twisted and messed up as shit… I love it!”

Eh... that would ruin immersion, in my view, if we did a "AH post which basically described the post-1980 history of the real world" extract ITTL - and it would be very impressive of the person ITTL.

Let's be real here, this timeline and ours (as any) are basically one huge series of random events - if you believe in multiple universes, there's probably multiple universes where Jim Henson joined Disney, but everything went completely differently compared to ITTL. I shall use Gould's assertion - if we rewound the tape of history and let it play again, it wouldn't be exactly the same.

Anyway, personally, I'd like the idea of the Ethan Hunt M:I movies still existing ITTL - principally because of Simon Pegg being in them.

Last edited:
When we get to this version of Professor Hulk ITTL can we keep, may make someone else into the Savage Hulk:
b0c2ec72c16bc42894ec9a2a3d03ad18.jpg

Maybe we could transform General Ross into the Hulk earlier.

Last edited:
<snip>
Main question is will we have the ISS or will it be Space Station Freedom.

Poland will certainly want to join NATO. There is no love lost between the states.

SDI is likely to be cut back more from the increasing cost more than anything else. I'd expect it to transition as it historically did to a much more limited, ground based system. The Peacekeeper rail garrison was always a bad idea, and if deployed would have locked up the US rail network inside of about 48 hours, and done so in such a way that it would take weeks to get trains moving again, which is bad for everyone. The A-12 has its own programmatic issues, and I don't disagree that it goes away. Where I disagree with you is on the B-2 program. I think that with an opposition that isn't imploding as hard or as fast as OTL, the 1992 reduction from 75 to 20/21 airframes doesn't happen, leaving the USAF with a larger than OTL, but still relatively small force. I have very little reason to assume that other military R&D programs would not proceed as they did in OTL, but numbers of aircraft purchased are likely to be higher (370 F-22s instead of 177 for example).

The exact path of the space program is going to be entirely dependent on who wins in 1992, as the Clinton administration undertook a major review of the station program that resulted in the ISS we have today.

Well that was great fun and a film I would have really loved to see.

That said I can sort of understand the critics point, the film reminded me of Lethal Weapon 4 or at least one of the taglines from the advertising poster "The faces you love. The action you expect." There is nothing wrong with just doing something simple and fun, not everything has to be deep and sometimes you just want a laugh with familiar characters, but you can take that too far. Muppets Impossible wasn't a soulless by-the-numbers film by any means, I don't think the people involved could do that even if they tried, but maybe a bit more ambition wouldn't hurt and if an unappreciative critic is what is required to give Frank Oz that nudge then so be it.

Oh yes, Muppets: Impossible would be one of those VHS tapes that gets replayed until it finally gives up the ghost and you have to buy the VCD because they don't sell the VHS any more, finally convincing Dad that it's time to make the switch to digital because it's one of his favourite movies too (based on a true story).

Oh yes, Muppets: Impossible would be one of those VHS tapes that gets replayed until it finally gives up the ghost and you have to buy the VCD because they don't sell the VHS any more, finally convincing Dad that it's time to make the switch to digital because it's one of his favourite movies too (based on a true story).
I take it you and your father bonded over Mission: Impossible?

This does sound pretty fun as a parody of the Mission: Impossible franchise but I kinda get the critics when they say that this wasn't pushing the envelope or groundbreaking in terms of story or character development. Then again, the Muppets are so beloved you can probably put them in literally anything and they'd still be hilarious.

Muppets Impossible wasn't a soulless by-the-numbers film by any means, I don't think the people involved could do that even if they tried, but maybe a bit more ambition wouldn't hurt and if an unappreciative critic is what is required to give Frank Oz that nudge then so be it.
Perhaps this will improve the quality of future Muppets films since they are hitting a bit of a slump in an era without Jim's direct involvement (better than him dying, though). I reckon films like Muppets Gulliver's Travels or Muppets Haunted Mansion will be infinitely more funny after receiving such feedback.

SDI is likely to be cut back more from the increasing cost more than anything else. I'd expect it to transition as it historically did to a much more limited, ground based system. The Peacekeeper rail garrison was always a bad idea, and if deployed would have locked up the US rail network inside of about 48 hours, and done so in such a way that it would take weeks to get trains moving again, which is bad for everyone. The A-12 has its own programmatic issues, and I don't disagree that it goes away. Where I disagree with you is on the B-2 program. I think that with an opposition that isn't imploding as hard or as fast as OTL, the 1992 reduction from 75 to 20/21 airframes doesn't happen, leaving the USAF with a larger than OTL, but still relatively small force. I have very little reason to assume that other military R&D programs would not proceed as they did in OTL, but numbers of aircraft purchased are likely to be higher (370 F-22s instead of 177 for example).

The exact path of the space program is going to be entirely dependent on who wins in 1992, as the Clinton administration undertook a major review of the station program that resulted in the ISS we have today.

The tech wasn’t there, SDI was a 30 billion dollar boondoggle. The tech that worked was already in use. It was a fantasy. Like ABL later on as much as I loved the plane with only one it is pointless.

From the History Channel on SDI

Way Out There in the Blue: Reagan, Star Wars and the End of the Cold War,Frances Fitzgerald writes that “a perfect antiballistic missile defense was beyond the reach of technology. It was just a story, and yet to trust the polls, the idea had great popular appeal in the mid-’80s, and many Americans believed such a thing could be built. In that sense the Strategic Defense Initiative was Reagan’s greatest triumph as an actor-storyteller.”

The main issue I have with the B2 is with the Russians selling much of their military, is a 700 million dollars per unit, and that flyaway cost, not with upgrades and such. I mean the only program that dwarfs the B2 program now is the F35...

What would be the justification for more stealth bombers? I just don’t see it with a weakened Russia and China still relatively weak.

But an area I will say budgets should be cut heavily is the intelligence budget, with the Russians licking their wounds why keep intelligence budgets at the same levels? I mean we can cutback in budgets in intel like Central and South America, Africa, and so forth.

Honestly, it doesn't really matter how many laser satellites they axe - as long as McNamara's horribly Byzantine procurement system is around to drive any surviving projects through the roof and into orbit, Congress ain't getting their money back.

Hi, I’m Molly and I’m mad for Muppets. And so are you, or why would you be here?
Hooray, she is much less annoying than N and D.
Link Hogthrob will disguise himself as “Rico de Straction”, a dapper Argentinian rubber duckie import baron, and charm and distract the stunning Madame Carbroek
Is this the biggest role Link's ever had in a Muppet movie?
and as to Gene Shallot, well, his exact words were “While nobody expects The Muppets to be producing Shakespeare…” It seems that Frank Oz read that review and had some thoughts of his own…

Can you guess what my next post is about?
*Hits track button*

I love the origins of Muppets: Impossible!

I really hope they where able to bring out the game as well as the movie? @Geekhis Khan

Lots of lovely cameos there too.

Surprised there were no songs - seems a big training montage piece would have been appropriate.

ITTL me probably saw this. Probably a late night showing 'so no kids'.

Muppets do Shakespeare? Twelfth Night maybe?

Looking forward to your next post Mad Molly Moolah!

@Ogrebear

I’d say that A Midsummer Night’s Dream could work as a Muppets-do-Shakespeare movie. Especially with the muppet playing Puck (Fozzie?) regularly breaking the fourth wall.

Or what if the plot is a hodgepodge of Shakespeare’s plot elements and characters created when the muppets got the scripts mixed up and decided to act out the resulting mess?

This is good too, who would be the twins and how nothing alike will they look?
Maybe they could introduce an actual Skeeters muppet:
d88y9w5-607135e4-4770-4e28-9ab6-5093e3ad3c95.jpg

Or what if the plot is a hodgepodge of Shakespeare’s plot elements and characters created when the muppets got the scripts mixed up and decided to act out the resulting mess
Or a semi historical bio pic of Shakespeare with the Muppets playing characters who inspire Shakespeare's characters?

I finally managed to catch up to this amazing Timeline!

And I have to say I'm impressed. I got into this thinking I would just read about wholesome Jim Henson fare and suddenly the Soviet Union and Yugoslavia survive the Cold War!

and Disneyland Valencia is still not open yet!

However I do have a question @Geekhis Khan

Since the Famicom Disk System got localized to the Western Market as the NES Disk System, does that mean that the notoriously difficult Super Mario Bros 2 (in the West know as The Lost Levels) got an international release as well?
Or did Nintendo of America still opt to can it in favour of a reskin of Doki Doki Panic?

I'm asking because some of the enemies, like the Shyguys, later became fully integrated into the world of Mario in OTL.

Status
Not open for further replies.