Status
Not open for further replies.
Or you could cast Bill Paxton, like I did in Iron Age. I think he could really chew the scenery as jolly JJJ. :p

Looking at the fan casting from IMDB, I also thing it works somewhat as many of the actors listed regularly collaborated with Cameron. Earl Boen (AKA Dr. Silberman) as Uncle Ben is an interesting choice though I went for Joe Morton as Robbie Robertson in IA and cast Arnie as Doc Ock because, why not?

As for Mary Jane and Gwen Stacy, I would probably approach them from a "Betty and Veronica" angle with MJ being the popular party girl--incorporating elements of Liz Allan--and Gwen as the more down to Earth girl with an unrequited crush pop Pete that slowly blossoms into a doomed romance. Also, I would probably go with Lance Hennriksen as as Norman Osborn as a supporting character and slowly build him as the ultimate super-villain. Also, I wonder who would be Harry Osborn and Flash Thompson. If you wanted a little more diversity, throw in Randy Robertson as well.
I say keep Osbourn for movie one along with Sandman, then, for the sequel,. you could have Doc Ock and the Lizard, Then maybe Kraven the Hunter and Rhyno for the third and then, if there's any hope for a 4th Venom and Carnage?

Rosenheim

Donor
Some interesting choices! Love to see things like Seinfeld still show up, but with a little twist.

One of the Disney properties (or rather field of properties) I'm interested in is whether/how the Disney Afternoon will materialize. Both the main block, (things like: (Darkwing Duck, TaleSpin, DuckTales, and Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers) and ever so slightly more serious fare like Gargoyles (a personal favorite). It really epitomizes the Disney 90s for me, so seeing how things change (or remain the same) will be a blast!

One of the Disney properties (or rather field of properties) I'm interested in is whether/how the Disney Afternoon will materialize. Both the main block, (things like: (Darkwing Duck, TaleSpin, DuckTales, and Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers) and ever so slightly more serious fare like Gargoyles (a personal favorite). It really epitomizes the Disney 90s for me, so seeing how things change (or remain the same) will be a blast!
Well, for one, DuckTales and Goof Troop have merged together into a connected hour-long show called Duck, Duck, Goof!

But other than that notoriety, I'm also intrigued.

Well, for one, DuckTales and Goof Troop have merged together into a connected hour-long show called Duck, Duck, Goof!

But other than that notoriety, I'm also intrigued.
Hopefully, it takes after Ducktales in the theme song department. Goof Troop was great, but its theme was nowhere near the level of iconic that Ducktails' was. At any rate, there needs to be a replacement for Gof Troop. Might I suggest a Spider-Man Animated Series, should the whole movie thing go well?

Hopefully, it takes after Ducktales in the theme song department. Goof Troop was great, but its theme was nowhere near the level of iconic that Ducktales' was. At any rate, there needs to be a replacement for Goof Troop. Might I suggest a Spider-Man Animated Series, should the whole movie thing go well?
Or we could skip Raw Toonage and Marsupilami altogether and just have Bonkers premiere in 1992, thus freeing up a Marvel animated series for the 1993 season. Whether that would be X-Men or Spider-Man is anyone's guess.

To bad Bruce Timm is working on Batman because I still think him doing the MAU would have been cool:
G_2pNBYOIyGbY5HPedRLlCHwLefnDdR59AZRZI-28U8.jpg

Speaking of Marvel:
Constantin Film acquired the film rights for the Fantastic Four in 1986. I presume they didn't ITTL, eh @Geekhis Khan ?

I also hope, as random as this may be, 1997's Steel, if even made, will actually be good. Heck, maybe they do replace Shaq with Wesley Snipes, let alone any actual actor, and if the former, who knows how Blade could be impacted?

Last edited:
Speaking of Marvel:
Constantin Film acquired the film rights for the Fantastic Four in 1986. I presume they didn't ITTL, eh @Geekhis Khan ?

I also hope, as random as this may be, 1997's Steel, if even made, will actually be good. Heck, maybe they do replace Shaq with Wesley Snipes, let alone any actual actor, and if the former, who knows how Blade could be impacted?
They may have to get Will Smith for Blade, and given the way Will was cast in movies in the late 90s, it could end up turning into Wild, Wild West. On the plus side, everyone will know who steel is and provided you make a reference to the Death of Superman, that'll make all the difference.

Last edited:
I have a confession to make; I kind of felt like, despite the intent on the timeline to not spoil Jim’s survival, there was a much earlier post - an interview from the late 1990s - that might have unwittingly stated that he was still kicking at that point; I don’t remember who was interviewing which person, but they said something along the lines of “we’re lucky to have Jim”, or some other line which thanks to present tense made me kind of certain he’s at least alive for a few years longer than IOTL. I didn’t say anything so as to avoid spoiling the suspense (and the possibility I had misread things), but to be honest for me it wasn’t a case of “will Jim survive 1990?” but rather, “HOW will Jim survive 1990?” Though it didn’t spoil anything regardless, there was so much to ponder on and enjoy.
Yeah, seeing how Jim survived his close brush with death was very impactful, both in terms of his own personal development and the story overall. Geekhis could've decided to ignore Jim's affliction since his death was a pretty huge fluke that could've been butterflied convincingly, but I definitely think that the timeline was better because of this event.

It actually intrigues me, at least pertaining to TLM, since IOTL it was John Musker and Ron Clements who pitched the idea for how to adapt it along with TP (unless I’m misinformed on who pitched vs. who WANTED to do it?) Guessing that it was Howard Ashman and Alan Menken’s musical direction which helped drive the narrative, or at least helped it come together; I do know that’s why Ashman was asked to do BATB, as they were struggling to have it come together. But I did not know he was as essential to TLM being made when it was (don’t mistake me for underplaying his vitality to the Renaissance though, it’s not for nothing that his scores are among the most acclaimed of the era).
It's why I generally think that if TLM and BATB were adapted later for the Disney canon, they wouldn't leave the same impact that they would have OTL. They might be decent or even good as Disney movies, but it's just not the same without Ashman's contributions. I guess in that case films like Mort and Aladdin would be of greater prominence ITTL for the Disney Renaissance.

They do say the grass is greener, eh? Some folks ITTL may have conceived something similar to OTL and think it’s better than having Jim “ruin” what Disney was, but just like actually experiencing TTL for ourselves (as opposed to reading about it), they might have more perspective and appreciate the good things they do get… Except the wankers who genuinely hold to their shallow foolishness and in turn persecute anyone not fitting their narrow ideal of the perfect world.
ITTL people thinking of timelines where Michael Eisner became CEO of the Disney company? I can see that, especially if they write the same outcome of Jim leaving the company due to the conflict between him and Eisner. Still, I don't think the majority of people ITTL are gonna agree that Eisner was a great choice for the company, mainly because Jim is so much better for Walt Disney Entertainment as CCO thanks to his personality, core values, and willingness to make bold choices in expanding the company and the Disney magic.

But yeah, there's always got be some wankers and debbie downers that will hate Jim's guts because of how much he has changed the Disney company as a whole. Aside from the early progressivism and inclusivity, they might even criticize the WDSS because they're dealing with content that is not "old Disney" (family friendly content for kids), even though it's separated with the label and a R-rated rating in mind.

Here's an idea for Beauty and the Beast, let Don Bluth have it, he was already working on an adaptation of it until he learned that Disney was also doing one.
Looks like it might be too late for Bluth to continue production as Disney is still producing it. Same with TLM.

Jerry sounds a bit fun. Not exactly my cup of tea, but I'm glad that ITTL Seinfeld exists.

Yeah, that's all I have to say about this subject. Whoops :coldsweat:

It probably depends on when in 1986 they acquired those rights. If it's before May then they probably still have them ITTL. But if it's after they most likely they don't.
Internet websites seem to be relatively murky as to when they even bought the rights in 1986. But I doubt that Constantin Film would have gunned for the film rights when Marvel is in cahoots with Disney.

Makes me hopeful that Disney-MGM could make a Fantastic Four film that doesn't suck.

They may have to get Will Smith for Blade, and given the way Will was cast in movies in the late 90s, it could end up turning into Wild, Wild West.
$#!+, I had that on my mind too. It has a good chance as of this period of being either butterflied entirely or being at least genuinely decent. Hell, TTL me can live without ever knowing of what I consider a hilarious guilty pleasure or a certain Steve Wonder-sampling song.

Speaking of Marvel:

I wonder if ITTL there would be a Death of Superman for Steel to debut in. I was skimming the background on that event, apparently the writers wanted to do a wedding for issue 500 but DC told them they had to wait until the live action show had a wedding, for corporate synergy reasons, so if something happened to that show that could change things....assuming of course that the same writing staff is on Superman. I would be bummed if Lois and Clark didn't happen as that was a childhood touchstone for me. Of course, so was Beauty and the Beast and here we are.

Spiderman

Hey, I was looking up potential actors to play J Jonah Jameson; my recommendations are Meryl Streep and Danny Devito.

J Jonah as a demanding, icy, knowledgeable tyrant businesswoman similar in tone to Miranda Priestly as was shown in 'The devil wears prada' would be a very different spin (and gender) on the character we know and would change the character of any Spiderman movie. What's the point of changing history if you're not gonna spice things up though?

Would it be a good idea for Jimmy Olson to make a cameo in this movie as a fellow photographer? Perhaps while using his turtle powers with a muffled cowabunga noice comes from a sewer or a rat scurries past with a slice of pizza suggesting that DC, TMNT and Marvel share a universe. There could then be a joke about how the multiverse has turtles all the way down.

Have we decided who the villain is for this Spiderman movie?

Radio

Would there be a way to butterfly Nick Offerman into a woodworking/carpenting tv show/radio program in the 90s? I believe he has the technical skills and voice for it. It could be a nice thing for people to listen to while they're doing things.

Ant and grasshopper media product

I think that this kind of story would be a good way to convey the idea I previously described.

I get where Henson's coming from in wanting a happy ending in order to show appreciation for the arts and present a more lighthearted look at the concept (and I believe it's how the story goes). The message of preparation however is undermined/lost in translation by the planting of the concept that you can rely on someone else to do if it happens rather than it being an individual or community responsibility that should be done proactively.

Maybe a better way to have a happy ending in such a story is to have an ant explain the concept by referring to previous grasshoppers who were similarly short-sighted, how harsh last winter was or talking about the behaviours of bears, butcher birds and squirrels.

An adaption of 'my side of the mountain' (amazing book) could work instead in conveying the message. I remember a lot of the book is about how Sam copies what animals are doing (stockpiling) in order to survive the winter.

They may have to get Will Smith for Blade, and given the way Will was cast in movies in the late 90s, it could end up turning into Wild, Wild West. On the plus side, everyone will know who steel is and provided you make a reference to the Death of Superman, that'll make all the difference.
screenhunter_05-feb-24-01-23-jpg.361311

Lets go with Michael Jai White instead of Will Smith. (This could also butterfly away his Spawn movie)
ITTL people thinking of timelines where Michael Eisner became CEO of the Disney company?
I would love to see a serious DBWI of this idea.
Hey, I was looking up potential actors to play J Jonah Jameson; my recommendations are Meryl Streep and Danny Devito.
Those choices aren't going to cause a firestorm among the fans, not at all, nope.
J Jonah as a demanding, icy, knowledgeable tyrant businesswoman similar in tone to Miranda Priestly as was shown in 'The devil wears prada' would be a very different spin (and gender) on the character we know and would change the character of any Spiderman movie.
That might be true in about a decade or decade and a half but not the early nineties
What's the point of changing history if you're not gonna spice things up though?
Because too much spice can ruin a meal.
Would it be a good idea for Jimmy Olson to make a cameo in this movie as a fellow photographer? Perhaps while using his turtle powers with a muffled cowabunga noice comes from a sewer or a rat scurries past with a slice of pizza suggesting that DC, TMNT and Marvel share a universe.
Absolutely not. the best we might get is a off hand reference to TMNT and that depends on the relationship between Eastman & Laird and Marvel/Disney.
Have we decided who the villain is for this Spiderman movie?
Not that I'm aware of but it most likely will be Green Goblin.
Would there be a way to butterfly Nick Offerman into a woodworking/carpenting tv show/radio program in the 90s? I believe he has the technical skills and voice for it. It could be a nice thing for people to listen to while they're doing things.
Not likely:
Wikipedia said:
He received a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree[1] from the University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign in 1993. That year, he and a group of fellow students co-founded the Defiant Theatre, a Chicago-based theatre company.
[1] Typically a four year degree, which means he started college in 1989.

J Jonah as a demanding, icy, knowledgeable tyrant businesswoman similar in tone to Miranda Priestly as was shown in 'The devil wears prada' would be a very different spin (and gender) on the character we know and would change the character of any Spiderman movie. What's the point of changing history if you're not gonna spice things up though?
Danny Devito, maybe, but Meryl? WHAT!?
Granted she could pull it off (perhaps as one Janice Jonah Jameson), and I can see it, but I highly doubt fans would accept it with no fuss/toxicity.
Would it be a good idea for Jimmy Olson to make a cameo in this movie as a fellow photographer? Perhaps while using his turtle powers with a muffled cowabunga noice comes from a sewer or a rat scurries past with a slice of pizza suggesting that DC, TMNT and Marvel share a universe. There could then be a joke about how the multiverse has turtles all the way down.
I can't see neither working at all. is this some joke you posted by mistake?

Last edited:
screenhunter_05-feb-24-01-23-jpg.361311

Lets go with Michael Jai White instead of Will Smith. (This could also butterfly away his Spawn movie)
Not unless Will somehow gets the Spawn gig. Could happen. Might actually make it more fun, if entirely contrary to the source material if Will gets his way. But hey. Can't let the TL get too utopian after all. Besides, it worked for the Turtles.

Not unless Will somehow gets the Spawn gig. Could happen. Might actually make it more fun, if entirely contrary to the source material if Will gets his way. But hey. Can't let the TL get too utopian after all. Besides, it worked for the Turtles.
Personally, I'd save a TMNT reference for if Disney decides to do a Daredevil movie or show. After all, it's canon that the two properties share the same universe, so it feels right to do that.

Not unless Will somehow gets the Spawn gig. Could happen.
Possible:
imdb said:
Will Smith at one point was considered for the role of Al Simmons/Spawn but declined the role to play Agent J in Men in Black (1997) as he felt playing the role of Spawn would tarnish his squeaky clean image at the time.

Wesley Snipes was one of the actors considered for the role of Al Simmons/Spawn. He would go on to portray the another African American comic book character, Blade, the following year in Blade (1998) and its two subsequent sequels.

Status
Not open for further replies.