Status
Not open for further replies.
Would The Tempest work as inspiration for the Lion King ITTL? We might be able to keep Timon & Pumbaa if we could.
Re: The Tempest, I had an idea for an animated take on The Tempest, partially based on the Dinosaur Planet episode "Pod's Travels" and starring the dwarf dinosaurs of Hateg Island.

With kind-of-naturalistic, dinosaur-centred animated movies not being ruined by a dozen LBT sequels, most of which are fucking abysmal, the possibilities are endless.

I've got a plot outline and cast for the hypothetical Hateg Island movie if anybody wants to see it.
Yeah, I'd rather see The Lion King be different than OTL if we must have it as part of the Disney canon. Maybe they go with something similar to the earlier story drafts and go along with that.
I've got an interesting idea for an overhaul of the Scar/hyenas relationship, that gives a bit more depth to Shenzi:

Basically, the hyenas aren't Scar's subservient lackeys - instead, Scar approaches them, ostensibly for an alliance. Shenzi, partly out of desperation and partly out of Scar playing on her desires for what's best for her clan, agrees... only to realise, after Mufasa's overthrown, that Scar has pretty much usurped her leadership. They aren't equal partners at all.

Their relationship is more of a "teeth-clenched teamwork" thing - the hyenas are sick of Scar's incompetent rule and Shenzi's pissed off at basically having lost all authority over her clan, but Scar's influence is the only thing keeping the lionesses from killing the hyenas and both they and Scar are very aware of that.

Once Scar's been beaten, any power he had over the hyenas is dissipated - and they just rip him to shreds. Maybe Shenzi has the clan bow to Simba at the end to save their own skins.

So, basically, it becomes TLK as told by George R.R. Martin.

Last edited:
I've got an interesting idea for an overhaul of the Scar/hyenas relationship, that gives a bit more depth to Shenzi:

Basically, the hyenas aren't Scar's subservient lackeys - instead, Scar approaches them, ostensibly for an alliance. Shenzi, partly out of desperation and partly out of Scar playing on her desires for what's best for her clan, agrees... only to realise, after Mufasa's overthrown, that Scar has pretty much usurped her leadership. They aren't equal partners at all.

Their relationship is more of a "teeth-clenched teamwork" thing - the hyenas are sick of Scar's incompetent rule and Shenzi's pissed off at basically having lost all authority over her clan, but Scar's influence is the only thing keeping the lionesses from killing the hyenas and both they and Scar are very aware of that.

Once Scar's been beaten, any power he had over the hyenas is dissipated - and they just rip him to shreds. Maybe Shenzi has the clan bow to Simba at the end to save their own skins.

My preferred option is one in which Simba is unable to control his disturbing patricidal tendencies (as seen in his famous "Ohh I just can't wait for my Dad to be dead." song) and does indeed kill Musafa to become King. His rule is all you would expect from an entitled sociopath who's only qualification is his parentage and a magic roar, Scar point out all the problems (say lack of food and the rest of the Pride having to hunt for ages so Simba and his gang can laze about) and gets exiled for his troubles, all the Lion Guard let it happen because they want promotion and because Scar "is so tough on them", expecting them to live up to their duties and not just laze about like Simba lets them. Throughout it all Scar is still sarcastic and has the great lines, it's just he is in the right and, together with the Hyenas (who aren't as stupid in this) and a few other 'outcasts' deposes Simba and saves the day.

It would be a great allegory for the dangers of dynastic politics and nepotism, as well as one of those 'don't judge a book by a cover' messages about just because someone looks all perfect (Simba) that doesn't mean they aren't nasty and vice-versa with Scar and the Hyenas. You could even play up how the Pride have arrogantly scorned and abused Shenzi and the Hyenas, but ultimately depend on them for salvation.

Obviously Disney would never make this, but they really, really should.

My preferred option is one in which Simba is unable to control his disturbing patricidal tendencies (as seen in his famous "Ohh I just can't wait for my Dad to be dead." song) and does indeed kill Musafa to become King. His rule is all you would expect from an entitled sociopath who's only qualification is his parentage and a magic roar, Scar point out all the problems (say lack of food and the rest of the Pride having to hunt for ages so Simba and his gang can laze about) and gets exiled for his troubles, all the Lion Guard let it happen because they want promotion and because Scar "is so tough on them", expecting them to live up to their duties and not just laze about like Simba lets them. Throughout it all Scar is still sarcastic and has the great lines, it's just he is in the right and, together with the Hyenas (who aren't as stupid in this) and a few other 'outcasts' deposes Simba and saves the day.

Wow.

Even ITTL, Disney would never make this in a million years. In fact, no, they'd never make it in 14 billion years (the age of the universe).

The ideas I had are all based on stuff from actual earlier drafts for the film OTL, BTW.

That's what I think the rule should be for pre-existing films in this timeline - rather than just making stuff up out of whole cloth, take actual plot points/characters from earlier versions of the story and incorporate them into the film. Basically ITTL, this character never got removed from the story or this aspect of the story was never changed. It creates a realism to it.

Here, however, is a big change to the plotline (based on an actual theory my sister had about the film) - Simba's return to the throne is a plot by Zazu and Rafiki, who know Simba's still alive. Basically. Timon and Pumbaa are basically keeping him safe and hidden (or as safe and hidden as two characters voiced by Rik Mayall and Adrian Edmondson can keep someone) until he's matured - once he's reached adulthood, he can take the throne from Scar and restore the dynasty.

However, a significantly more ruthless Simba is a pretty good idea - maybe have Simba kill Scar himself rather than chuck him off Pride Rock and have the hyenas finish him off. That would be shocking for a Disney film - the hero actually killing the Big Bad, who is also his uncle, on screen. This also fits my personal ethos - as Simba killing Scar personally (prior to their familial relationship being added) was also the case in earlier treatments.

It would be a great allegory for the dangers of dynastic politics and nepotism, as well as one of those 'don't judge a book by a cover' messages about just because someone looks all perfect (Simba) that doesn't mean they aren't nasty and vice-versa with Scar and the Hyenas. You could even play up how the Pride have arrogantly scorned and abused Shenzi and the Hyenas, but ultimately depend on them for salvation.

I think, what with Mort, Beauty and the Beast (maybe) and the hypothetical Medusa film, there's a lot of "don't judge a book by its cover" Disney films ITTL. You can only use the same message so many times. I also think dynastic politics and the potential dangers of such is a bit too deep a subject for a family film - or at least, not in that manner.

However, a slightly more sympathetic portrayal of the hyenas is something I would say hell fucking yes to. Shenzi's alliance with Scar isn't motivated out of power, it's out of desperation and a desire for a better life for her clan. However, after Mufasa's overthrown, she realises that Scar has pretty much usurped her leadership over her clan - they aren't equal partners at all.

When the Pridelands go to hell, the hyenas are sick of starving under Scar's incompetent rule and Shenzi's pissed off at basically having lost all authority over her clan, but Scar's influence is the only thing keeping the lionesses from killing the hyenas and both they and Scar are very aware of that. Scar's also aware he needs the hyenas' support to maintain his authority.

Basically, the only thing that's keeping their alliance together is that they both need each other. Without Scar, the lionesses will kill Shenzi (and some of her clan), but, without Shenzi and the hyenas, Scar loses his main support base (reluctant as it is), as the lionesses and Mufasa's allies don't like him at all - and Zazu and Rafiki (as mentioned) are plotting behind Scar's back to restore Simba to Pride Rock.

It would also lead to a great shot in the ending - Simba's killed Scar and is savouring the lull/having to deal with the guilt of killing his uncle (power-craving fratricidal bastard though he was) when Shenzi strides out of the gloom and, rather insincerely, congratulates him on his victory. Proclaiming Simba as her king and denouncing the late Scar, she bows to him, as does her entire clan.... not out of any altruistic reason or because she's seen the error of her ways, but just to save her own skin.

And, true to my personal ethos re: pre-existing films, the hyenas bowing to Simba after he defeated Scar was also the case in an earlier draft - where Shenzi was a male hyena called Banagi. That would be boundary-crossing for a Disney film - one of the villains getting off scot-free not because they've made a Heel Face Turn, but basically because they've wrangled a pardon to save their own skin.

Last edited:
Alas, the year is 1990. Cube has already quit, and we're less than a year away from No Vaseline. Best you could do is grab him or Dre as a celebrity actor - I've already suggested Pac, since he was almost cast in some pretty big roles of his time.
Alternatively, and this is just an idea mind, Disney COULD still get their hands on the remnants of NWA and end up making them more mainstream and moral friendly. More of a Party based group like The Funky Bunch, Hammer or Will Smith, with Jim's Influence, of course. Horrifying thought, I know, but Jim could talk nearly anyone into anything, + it'd keep the TL from getting too utopian. Alternatively, Jim could maybe get them to just start advocating for social changes and peace.

Also, here's a couple of ideas for Disney flicks no one has considered yet. Gilgamesh or Harry Flashman. Imagine the latter. Disney's first-ever Anti-Hero!

Last edited:
It is amazing isn't it?
Even ITTL, Disney would never make this in a million years. In fact, no, they'd never make it in 14 billion years (the age of the universe).

The ideas I had are all based on stuff from actual earlier drafts for the film OTL, BTW.

That's what I think the rule should be for pre-existing films in this timeline - rather than just making stuff up out of whole cloth, take actual plot points/characters from earlier versions of the story and incorporate them into the film. Basically ITTL, this character never got removed from the story or this aspect of the story was never changed.
It was never really a serious suggestion to be honest, as you say Disney would never make it I just liked the idea of Evil Simba (I am 100% not a fan of Simba, he just grates on me). I'd be fairly sure our esteemed author knew that as well.

I can absolutely see the logic on keeping things based on OTL films and ideas, but there already have been a few films in this timeline that are just invented out of whole cloth. A minority to be sure, very sensibly Geekhis is going for a lot of parallelism and a large butterfly net, but the odd one or two completely new/changed films help to emphasise the changes that have happened. Though sadly I accept the Scar as hero version of the Lion King is unlikely to be one of them.

If we must have Simba as hero (terrible mistake though it is) then the other changes you suggest do sound good.

Also, here's a couple of ideas for Disney flicks no one has considered yet. Gilgamesh or Harry Flashman. Imagine the latter. Disney's first-ever Anti-Hero!
There was some suggestions on Disney doing Gilgamesh in the past:
I also really wanna do see something done with Egyptian and Mesopotamian mythology. Maybe an adaptations of the Osiris Myth and Epic of Gilgamesh respectively?
Like no matter which ones, you could have it be an adventure film about finding macguffins to help find/resurrect their loved ones
To be honest, I prefer Gilgamesh over Hercules if there was ever to be a demigod/hero story ITTL.

I like the idea of making the hyenas sympathetic characters, or at least give them a modicum of sympathy so they are rooted for by the audience.

It is amazing isn't it?

It was never really a serious suggestion to be honest, as you say Disney would never make it I just liked the idea of Evil Simba (I am 100% not a fan of Simba, he just grates on me). I'd be fairly sure our esteemed author knew that as well.

I can absolutely see the logic on keeping things based on OTL films and ideas, but there already have been a few films in this timeline that are just invented out of whole cloth. A minority to be sure, very sensibly Geekhis is going for a lot of parallelism and a large butterfly net, but the odd one or two completely new/changed films help to emphasise the changes that have happened. Though sadly I accept the Scar as hero version of the Lion King is unlikely to be one of them.

If we must have Simba as hero (terrible mistake though it is) then the other changes you suggest do sound good.
Honestly, Simba is the sticking point that disinclines me from singing TLK’s praises as much as 99.9% of the people who’ve seen the movie. Like, the visuals are amazing and still hold up nearly three decades on (the wildebeest stampede is more impressive in that unlike later Disney Renaissance films, the CGI hasn’t become Uncanny Valley off putting and is JUST RIGHT to not look out of place), the plot is a solid adaptation of Hamlet and every other character ranges from solid (like Sarabi) to downright excellent (both Mufasa and Scar being top tier for me).

But Simba never clicked with even the younger me as a protagonist, and while I can rationalise to a degree I don’t know why - even when every other DR hero did and/or does resonate with me. Like, there’s nothing wrong with the (young) Simba’s performance (Broderick just grinds my gears in general, almost as much as he did in Ferris Bueller’s Day Off although Godzilla ‘98 exceeds both, being an ACTUAL terrible film). I can only guess it’s a combination of a generic character arc that I don’t feel meshes with Simba’s particular flaws that fail to make him compelling, on top of people praising this mediocre (or at most decent character arc) as something revolutionary or extraordinary along with every other aspect of the movie. So if Simba keeps the film out of my Top 3 (or even 5) Disney films, I can live comfortably with that reality… and be OK if the film we get ends up considerably different ITTL.
There was some suggestions on Disney doing Gilgamesh in the past:

To be honest, I prefer Gilgamesh over Hercules if there was ever to be a demigod/hero story ITTL.

I like the idea of making the hyenas sympathetic characters, or at least give them a modicum of sympathy so they are rooted for by the audience.
Given people already find the hyenas sympathetic IOTL, actually giving them real depth rather than some bizarre case of Always Chaotic Affably Evil is OK with me. Assuming we even get hyenas again, that is (although the fact they were essentially led by a female was perhaps more sociologically-accurate than Disney of the time necessarily realised; certainly more than BTVS just several years down the line.)

When did The Epic of Gilgamesh have the bulk of its content unearthed, anyway? And to be honest, this is now making me yearn for some Celtic/Gaelic mythology to get tapped by Disney ITTL.

I suspect that if GRRM’d written TLK, Nala would’ve been Simba’s aunt.
Well, here's the thing...

In the earlier drafts I mentioned... Nala was explicitly Simba's cousin.

So, again, you came up with something, to find that the writers came up with it first. That's part of the reason why I have the "use earlier drafts as reference" ethos - 90% of the time, what the writers came up with in the scripting process is better than anything we could have made up whole cloth... and the other 10% of the time, you just end up with something that was dropped anyway.

Given people already find the hyenas sympathetic IOTL, actually giving them real depth rather than some bizarre case of Always Chaotic Affably Evil is OK with me. Assuming we even get hyenas again, that is (although the fact they were essentially led by a female was perhaps more sociologically-accurate than Disney of the time necessarily realised; certainly more than BTVS just several years down the line.)
Yeah, I always felt sorry for them when I was a kid,

And, in the earlier drafts, Scar and the hyenas had a more complicated relationship than total subservience on the latter's part - in one, they're behind his rise to power and, in another, they offer him an alliance, intending to use him as their puppet... however, Scar quickly proves to be far more dangerous and basically forces them into subservience. I sort of used the latter for Shenzi here.

When did The Epic of Gilgamesh have the bulk of its content unearthed, anyway? And to be honest, this is now making me yearn for some Celtic/Gaelic mythology to get tapped by Disney ITTL.
The Epic of Gilgamesh should be mostly unearthed, but I'm not entirely sure (I generally prefer the Greek myths to be adapted first for the 90s since people are more familiar with them and it gives Disney more original content for the notoriously barren 2000s). As for Celtic mythology, maybe the stories of Fionn mac Cumhaill could be adapted if there's any adaptable legends from the Fenian Cycle. Cu Chulainn from the Ulster Cycle is also a tantalizing character, but I don't know...I think he's better as part of the Walt Disney Signature Series as an R-rated adaptation since he's notorious for his rage and violence. Even his main weapon (the Gae Bulg) is explicitly told to skewer and eviscerate people when they are impaled.

Well, lots to work with here, my apologies if I miss anything!

Lion King suggestions noted. Stay...you know.

On Anansi, remember that he's already shown up in a short from the remake of Song of the South in 1986 both in a stop-motion Burton short and in the form of "Aunt Nancy" (Whoopie Goldberg) in the framing device. So there is an existing "Disney" version to play with.

Hi, everyone, I just caught up a day or two ago. It’s been great reading everything Y’all have been writing but I’ve got some ideas to add to the timeline.
Glad you caught up, @Curtin99! Welcome to the Madhouse indeed.

• An idea I had for a Western tv Disney (or another company/person) may want to make (perhaps a remake/reimagining of The Lone Ranger or a reimagining of Robin Hood) would be to set it in China. This would be a good excuse to show off the natural wonders of the landscape and the capability, inventiveness, intelligence and independence of the Chinese people. (There may be some difficulties with this when China’s government tells them what they can and can’t say/record/film.)
Well, they did gain The Lone Ranger with the Wrather acquisition, so they'll be using that IP at some point, same with Lassie.

I’d also like NWA and Disney to collaborate on something (not a cheesy cringy anti-drugs/rap propaganda video) like a movie or album. You see this a lot of the time in reality with people and organisations you’d never figure would meet working together on projects such as Elvis and Nixon.
You mean NWA the hip-hop group? The "FTP" guys? That would be...interesting.

By the way, what does Dafoe's Batsuit look like?
A lot like the Michael Keaton one, I'd imagine, since the same costume folks are working on it. Certainly a focus on black, but possibly with some Midnight Blue. The Batmobile may look different.

Obviously Disney would never make this, but they really, really should.
LOL, definitely an interesting take! It would certainly be a strike against the "Monarchy is ordained by nature and 'those people' (you know, the ones played by the Mexican and the Black Woman) can never be a part of proper society" message the OTL film was inadvertently telling kids.

Alternatively, and this is just an idea mind, Disney COULD still get their hands on the remnants of NWA and end up making them more mainstream and moral friendly. More of a Party based group like The Funky Bunch, Hammer or Will Smith, with Jim's Influence, of course. Horrifying thought, I know, but Jim could talk nearly anyone into anything, + it'd keep the TL from getting too utopian. Alternatively, Jim could maybe get them to just start advocating for social changes and peace.

Speaking of NWA, did we save Easy from AIDS?

In the earlier drafts I mentioned... Nala was explicitly Simba's cousin.
Well, that's monarchy for you.

30-rock-reubens.jpg

TBH, I would like a Disney/NWA collab, as well as a more nuanced depiction of the hyenas. The Robin Hood/Lone Ranger in China idea is also brilliant.
The evil Simba idea, however?

EXjQjCCWAAALsJ8.jpg

The Epic of Gilgamesh should be mostly unearthed, but I'm not entirely sure (I generally prefer the Greek myths to be adapted first for the 90s since people are more familiar with them and it gives Disney more original content for the notoriously barren 2000s). As for Celtic mythology, maybe the stories of Fionn mac Cumhaill could be adapted if there's any adaptable legends from the Fenian Cycle. Cu Chulainn from the Ulster Cycle is also a tantalizing character, but I don't know...I think he's better as part of the Walt Disney Signature Series as an R-rated adaptation since he's notorious for his rage and violence. Even his main weapon (the Gae Bulg) is explicitly told to skewer and eviscerate people when they are impaled.
Yeah, I didn’t mean do the Ulster cycle and/or the Fenian cycle now, just that it’s an option for them to tap into; plus my personal affinity for certain mythologies includes this and Japanese (oddly enough not my own Slavic heritage, perhaps because it has a tendency for the undead which I’ve never been THAT into…) I also felt if they end up doing several Greek myth stories (as a loose trilogy/series with recurring god characters and continuity) they might not even do one or more of THEM until the 2000s. We’ll see what the Khan (or TL rather) says.
Well, lots to work with here, my apologies if I miss anything!

Lion King suggestions noted. Stay...you know.

On Anansi, remember that he's already shown up in a short from the remake of Song of the South in 1986 both in a stop-motion Burton short and in the form of "Aunt Nancy" (Whoopie Goldberg) in the framing device. So there is an existing "Disney" version to play with.

Glad you caught up, @Curtin99! Welcome to the Madhouse indeed.

Well, they did gain The Lone Ranger with the Wrather acquisition, so they'll be using that IP at some point, same with Lassie.

You mean NWA the hip-hop group? The "FTP" guys? That would be...interesting.

A lot like the Michael Keaton one, I'd imagine, since the same costume folks are working on it. Certainly a focus on black, but possibly with some Midnight Blue. The Batmobile may look different.

LOL, definitely an interesting take! It would certainly be a strike against the "Monarchy is ordained by nature and 'those people' (you know, the ones played by the Mexican and the Black Woman) can never be a part of proper society" message the OTL film was inadvertently telling kids.
Here’s hoping they don’t muck up The Lone Ranger, though as long as they stay away from that self-indulgent combination that is Bruckheimer + Depp it PROBABLY won’t be as bad… should note that I don’t dislike Depp, so much as I’ve grown tired of his “quirky eccentric” schtick (itself having killed my appreciation for Jack Sparrow, after the Franchise Zombie that PotC became did half the job already). Though I take some schadenfreude in River Phoenix seemingly taking his place in Tim Burton’s Creator Posse (which hopefully sets River on a happier final destination than OTL), I also hope Depp at least has a decent career (speaking of which, what’s the status of What’s Eating Gilbert Grape? ITTL? Asking also because Di Caprio…)

I honestly thought the same of Dafoe’s batsuit; it does tickle me that it actually has COLOUR however, hindsight has made the last few decades of live-action Movie Superheroes Wear Black that is Batman a bit… dull. And tired-out.

The funny thing about the colour-coding of Scar (himself part of the camp villain legacy that was the Renaissance) and the hyenas as POC, is of course that Mufasa is voiced by an African-American while his evil brother is done by a Caucasian Brit. I can’t recall several other actors, but I’m almost sure that young Nala was voiced by a preteen African-American girl, too. Optics do matter though, and besides the “good” male Lions having a Red-Headed Hero look with their manes (plus Pumbaa, as warthogs are generally dull brown/black), spotted hyenas are more light brown with black spots, not grey and black.

____

BTW: John Candy. Mark Gruenwald. Two men in different branches of the entertainment industry, who died in their 40s in the early-mid 90s of health issues. While I confess maybe one or both may still die, I have different reasons to bring them up: Gruenwald had some excellent story and character ideas while at Marvel, and I wonder if his survival could impact the direction going forward (including maybe keeping a certain someone whose name rhymes with Mo de Sada from getting a position to order the creation of a… certain Spider-Man comic which shall remain nameless! Though I admit that might be wishful thinking even then, I also just respect Gruenwald - apparently when he died, his colleagues genuinely thought he was pulling a prank before they learned it was genuine.

Candy, OTOH? There’s personal feelings for me, in regards to the disgusting way that the industry treats its actors. By the account of a woman who was once John Hughes’ penpal, Hughes stated he was disillusioned with Hollywood for its practices and felt that they’d worked John Candy, a dear friend of his, to death, disregarding his poor health until it did him in. In all honesty, a part of me strongly suspects that Carrie Fisher’s death two decades later rings similar alarms; a woman in her late 50s, who had put on considerable weight and struggled with drugs, having to work her ass off because Disney wanted to turn Star Wars into a yearly franchise? I cannot shake the feeling that if Carrie had been given more time and breathing room, instead of being run ragged by her schedule (for which the blame doesn’t lie SOLELY with Disney, but they can’t have helped the situation) she might have decreased the chance of the heart attack that killed her happening (or at least increased her chances of survival), much like John C. had his “Hollywood’s favourite uncle” rep exploited by the system as John H. suspected had happened.

I won’t deny there’s some wishful thinking, but I don’t think I’m being unrealistic by suggesting such. It’s not like I’m advocating for Robin Williams’ survival, just that his career not becoming a shell of itself (sadly, Williams was diagnosed post-mortem as having Lewy Bodies dementia, which can itself cause Parkinson’s Disease-like symptoms, so even if he lasts longer I expect his condition will continue to deteriorate even if his support network prevents his suicide… make of that what you will).
What if TTL’s Scar was Simba’s brother instead of Mufasa’s?
Oh… that’s. That suggestion is just pure, unadulterated EVIL.

I love it.

Hmm… what say you to my addendum: that he be Simba’s Evil Twin?

Last edited:
TBH, I would like a Disney/NWA collab, as well as a more nuanced depiction of the hyenas. The Robin Hood/Lone Ranger in China idea is also brilliant.
The evil Simba idea, however?

EXjQjCCWAAALsJ8.jpg
Would the idea of “Robin Hood/the Lone Ranger in China” not basically be an alternative version of The Water Margin, one of the Classic Chinese tales (the same canon as Journey to the West and Romance of the Three Kingdoms)? It is also, incidentally, the basis of my favourite now-dead Video Game franchise, the Strategy RPG series Suikoden (because f**k modern Konami), although the series creator is trying to make a Spiritual Successor… but I’m getting off-topic. If they did go the Chinese outlaw angle, and someone introduces them to The Water Margin, it might inspire a more creative process to adaptation while still being loyal to Chinese culture… presumably a live-action story would also enable them to be darker and more complex (like, maybe more what people wished the live action Mulan had been perhaps).
So both of them are played by the same actor? If you can get anactor who can do both roles, brilliant.
I hadn’t strictly considered that, but… Sure, Why Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.