Status
Not open for further replies.
*EDIT* the Shaman needs to be played by a famous Native American actor who is clearly playing the part of the "magical NA" stereotype to impress the stupid tourists. Maybe he's a bit of a fraud like Whoopie in Ghost.
Wolf tourist "Are you even a proper native Indian?"
Shaman: "Of course I am, I was born in Bombay!"

Possibly sneaking into Mel Brooks farce territory at that point.

Ah, my mistake. Somehow I conflated that movie with the musical An American in Paris with music by Gershwin.

Which, come to think of it, would be an amazing soundtrack for a werewolf movie.

turner is portraying a psychopath, that is pretty serious, and should treated that way. it is more that the viewer is made to think they are watching a dark comedy, but slowly but surely you discover this is no laughing matter, the movie pretty much deceives the viewer into this the same way psychopaths deceive people into believing they are normal. i think ebert just didn't get the movie. the movie underneath the veneer of comedy never was meant to be funny, and is actually pretty seriousm and this clashing of what it really is probably what made him feel that something is miscalculated. Waters really managed that fake sense of safety that helps psychos to lure their victims, right up to the end with the 'oh shit' moment. the first time you watch it, you watch as a comedy, the 2nd time that feeling is already far less, watching it the 3rd time you realise it is not comedy, it is the fascination of watching an ongoing trainwreck.

and since you haven't seen the movie, i seriously advise watching it.
Here's an idea: have the mother seemingly guilty, but, in a twist, though she's fascinated by serial killers and a psychopath, she's not the killer. How to do this? Simple--don't reveal the killer's identity until the end (basically, what Child's Play's original script did, as mentioned in the previous update). In Serial Mom OTL, we know she's the killer from the start (which is similar to Columbo's plots; makes me wonder if John Waters was inspired by that TV show)--we're just waiting for her to slip up (which is, arguably, part of its charm). So, have it be revealed that one of her friends and family is the actual killer (amusingly enough, her son in the movie was played by Matthew Lillard--who was one of the killers in Scream, which could be considered a smart slasher in TTL--and her daughter was played by Ricki Lake; having the original Tracy Turnblad (she was Tracy in the original Hairspray, which was also directed by John Waters--she was a member of his production posse for years) turn out to be a serial murderer would be quite shocking, IMO)...

Last edited:
Here's an idea: have the mother seemingly guilty, but, in a twist, though she's fascinated by serial killers and a psychopath, she's not the killer. How to do this? Simple--don't reveal the killer's identity until the end (basically, what Child's Play's original script did, as mentioned in the previous update). In Serial Mom OTL, we know she's the killer from the start (which is similar to Columbo's plots; makes me wonder if John Waters was inspired by that TV show)--we're just waiting for her to slip up (which is, arguably, part of its charm). So, have it be revealed that one of her friends and family is the actual killer (amusingly enough, her son in the movie was played by Matthew Lillard--who was one of the killers in Scream, which could be considered a smart slasher in TTL--and her daughter was played by Ricki Lake; having the original Tracy Turnblad (she was Tracy in the original Hairspray, which was also directed by John Waters--she was a member of his production posse for years) turn out to be a serial murderer would be quite shocking, IMO)...
Kinda like High Tension?

@nick_crenshaw82 Clearly there's an issue with American werewolves traveling to Europe.
This just reinforces my idea that An American Werewolf in America would be a reference people would get, regardless of what they think it's a reference to.

marathag

Banned
With all these 'smart slasher' movies is there any chance of some 'smart' Werewolf movies please?

Something that taps into the spiritual/shamanistic side of the Werewolf/Shapechanger genre perhaps please @Geekhis Khan?
What was wrong with _American Werewolf in London_?
I want monsters to be monstrous, not misunderstood hunky men that the women folk try to reform

marathag

Banned
*EDIT* the Shaman needs to be played by a famous Native American actor who is clearly playing the part of the "magical NA" stereotype to impress the stupid tourists. Maybe he's a bit of a fraud like Whoopie in Ghost
Wes Studi did exactly that role in _Mystery Men_

Wolf tourist "Are you even a proper native Indian?"
Shaman: "Of course I am, I was born in Bombay!"

Possibly sneaking into Mel Brooks farce territory at that point.
Screw it, MAKE IT a Mel Brooks farce!
Mel Brooks mocking the smart slasher trope? I'd pay premium cash to see that in action!
An American Werewolf in America! Starring John Lithgow, Emma Watson, Christopher Lloyd, and at least half the cast from Mel Brook's previous films!
An English Werewolf in America.
Wes Studi did exactly that role in _Mystery Men_
x'DI love you guys. Having a rough week, and this was just what I needed! x'D

I so have to do this now. Christopher Lloyd as a reluctant Werewolf seeking help and guidance from Wes Studi, who's playing an Indian American pretending to be an American Indian in a Mel Brooks Werewolf spoof. Deep Roy as his actually-Cherokee Assistant (who speaks fluent Yiddish) just to crank it past 11.

Soundtrack, naturally, by Warren Zevon.

Status
Not open for further replies.