Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing regarding any Greek myth Disney film: I am always baffled why Disney adapted Hercules, when Perseus would have been a much more logical choice, being the most traditionally heroic of the Greek heroes. Even saves a princess.

Plus, avoids the thorny "kids looked up the actual Hercules myth and found he's a rapey brute" issue.

One thing regarding any Greek myth Disney film: I am always baffled why Disney adapted Hercules, when Perseus would have been a much more logical choice, being the most traditionally heroic of the Greek heroes. Even saves a princess.

Plus, avoids the thorny "kids looked up the actual Hercules myth and found he's a rapey brute" issue.
Indeed. AFAIK the actual Greeks hate the crap out of it for how much they whitewashed the source material.

Speaking of Perseus, there's more than a few YouTube shorts that make Medusa the protagonist - could be worth a shot.

Indeed. AFAIK the actual Greeks hate the crap out of it for how much they whitewashed the source material.

Speaking of Perseus, there's more than a few YouTube shorts that make Medusa the protagonist - could be worth a shot.
Looking at the development history of Hercules, I'm shocked, absolutely shocked that Odysseus apparently wasn't good enough for a Disney movie. Like really, we could've had a tragic comedy involving Odysseus's misfortunes while his son Telemachus longingly searches for him, culminating in a happy ending with the family reunited. Good material for a Disney classic.

Odysseus > Hercules all the way, man.

I loathe that trend... they try and make Perseus the villain. Not you know, Poseidon and Athena, the dieties that raped and transformed Medusa into a monster respectfully.

I loathe that trend... they try and make Perseus the villain. Not you know, Poseidon and Athena, the dieties that raped and transformed Medusa into a monster respectfully.
Fair point. Might be best to swap out Perseus - Disney doesn't need to faithfully adapt the entire story, just the "misunderstood monster princess in Ancient Greece" thing.
It can hardly be more inaccurate than the actual Hercules movie, right?

Wow, a lot to digest. Hardly know where to start! I'm going to miss a question or two here, so my apologies if I miss yours.

I have some animated films and shows in the works. Some will be familiar, but others will be unlike what you saw ITTL. I specifically recall Oliver & Co. coming out of a 1980s Eisner "Gong Show" session, so that may be butterflied. Something with Dogs seems likely on one form or another.

While Tim Curry as Judge Doom sounds great, it does make me increasingly wonder how Christopher Llyod’s career is going. Losing both of his iconic roles in Back to the Future and now Who Framed Roger Rabbit is probably not good for his career.
No matter what Lloyd has a long and distinguished career as a character and voice actor much as Lithgow has ITTL. He was still a Klingon in STIII, frex, and still in Buckaroo Bonzai. We can say that he was in one of those forgotten films that Lloyd or Curry would have starred in. I'm trying to think of a great ATL vehicle to showcase his talents.

While we're at it, how's Charles Fleischer doing? I mean, doing the voice of Roger Rabbit is practically the only thing he's known for IOTL.
Long career as a voice actor in many animated productions.

Other things:

Muppetland was mentioned briefly in one post. Will be expanded upon fairly soon. We can certainly assume that Muppet Parades are a thing. I don't have the time to get into a lot of the details at the park.

Raimi is directing Batman as mentioned in the Running Man post.

Spiderman in the 1990s would indeed require a new way of doing effects along with clever rethinking of camera angles and the like (think of how much The Maxtrix accomplished just with new camera tricks). Having a guy swing in front of a back-projection won't cut it anymore.

More Muppet-based films and shows are certainly on the horizon. In fact, soon you'll be seeing The Muppets like you've never seen them before.

Looking at the development history of Hercules, I'm shocked, absolutely shocked that Odysseus apparently wasn't good enough for a Disney movie. Like really, we could've had a tragic comedy involving Odysseus's misfortunes while his son Telemachus longingly searches for him, culminating in a happy ending with the family reunited. Good material for a Disney classic.

Odysseus > Hercules all the way, man.

I'm more surprised that ala Ants and Bugs and El Dorado and Emperor's New Clothes, that Dreamworks didn't do a Greek movie at some point.

Something from the Minotaur’s POV would be nice.

Esp if it revealed he guarded the portal at the centre of the Labyrinth which is where he sent those ‘fed’ to him rather than being a cannibal.

Esp if it revealed he guarded the portal at the centre of the Labyrinth which is where he sent those ‘fed’ to him rather than being a cannibal.
That does sound interesting, this alongside a Medusa film could be the start of a franchise all on it own with giving classic monsters and villains a voice of their own

I am always baffled why Disney adapted Hercules, when Perseus would have been a much more logical choice, being the most traditionally heroic of the Greek heroes. Even saves a princess.
Most likely because Hercules has the greater name recognition.
Yeah because has never whitewashed/hid the source material. (Looks at Brothers Grimm as he says that.)
I specifically recall Oliver & Co. coming out of a 1980s Eisner "Gong Show" session, so that may be butterflied.
Doesn't Henson have a similar 'soft-pitch' session for Pete Young to suggest the concept?
No matter what Lloyd has a long and distinguished career as a character and voice actor much as Lithgow has ITTL. He was still a Klingon in STIII, frex, and still in Buckaroo Bonzai. We can say that he was in one of those forgotten films that Lloyd or Curry would have starred in. I'm trying to think of a great ATL vehicle to showcase his talents.
Like I said better but he could also get John Lithgow role in Santa Claus: The Movie, John is busy doing Back to the Future to film Santa.

marathag

Banned
en for 2002, the original Spider-Man could only do brief CGI and the rest is just in-person shots. Imagine if they made Spider-Man during 1992 or earlier? It would look absolutely comical, in my opinion.
_Darkman_ with better budget. Look at the end with skyscraper fight for what could be done on the cheap

Fair point. Might be best to swap out Perseus - Disney doesn't need to faithfully adapt the entire story, just the "misunderstood monster princess in Ancient Greece" thing.
It can hardly be more inaccurate than the actual Hercules movie, right?

I too wanna have a Medusa movie, as do I for a Minotaur film, or even a whole series like it.

Though TBH:
1, if there's any greek myth I want as a Disney movie, I'd honestly do Cerberus, because dogs are always a big draw for audiences. Maybe have this movie be about Hades sending him to catch some evil souls that escapes the underworld.

2, if I had a Medusa film, I'd have Perseus (who'd have a bird of prey as a companion and motif) be a blind kid who finds out she's not so bad as the people say and falls in love with her.

I also really wanna do see something done with Egyptian and Mesopotamian mythology. Maybe an adaptations of the Osiris Myth and Epic of Gilgamesh respectively?
Like no matter which ones, you could have it be an adventure film about finding macguffins to help find/resurrect their loved ones.

Last edited:
At this rate, why don't we let whatever Disney's adult-friendly film and television divisions are called handle the prospect of a Greek mythology franchise ITTL?
Well if someone wanted to do a more accurate and mature portrayal of someone like Medusa as a movie, then Hyperion could be the studio to film it and distribute it. Maybe it'll be like Maleficent but significantly darker and more tragic in tone.

1, if there's any greek myth I want as a Disney movie, I'd honestly do Cerberus, because dogs are always a big draw for audiences. Maybe have this movie be about Hades sending him to catch some evil souls that escapes the underworld.
For me, I disagree because Cerberus doesn't have a central myth for storywriters to work with. He's not like Hades and Persephone, whose myth could easily be reinterpreted as a more family-friendly story (Persephone is seduced by Hades and willingly goes to the Underworld, leading to all sorts of shenanigans with Demeter). Plus we can get Cerberus in as a major side character as the couple's pet, so it's a win-win.

I also really wanna do see something done with Egyptian and Mesopotamian mythology. Maybe an adaptations of the Osiris Myth and Epic of Gilgamesh respectively?
Like no matter which ones, you could have it be an adventure film about finding macguffins to help find/resurrect their loved ones.
Yeah, I want to see other myths be done in a Disney film, but the Epic of Gilgamesh might be the better out of the two thanks to Gilgamesh having a hero's journey of his own and later learning about the cost of losing someone and later on learning about being happy with what you have after losing his chance at immortality.

The homoerotic subtext is very much loud and clear in the mythology though with Gilgamesh and Enkidu, which would be a problem for the Disney executives who still want international sales. I fear that they would bastardize the entire story because of that fact, presenting a purely platonic relationship when it was clear that it was far closer than that.

. He's not like Hades and Persephone, whose myth could easily be reinterpreted as a more family-friendly story (Persephone is seduced by Hades and willingly goes to the Underworld, leading to all sorts of shenanigans with Demeter). Plus we can get Cerberus in as a major side character as the couple's pet, so it's a win-win.
So a romantic comedy?

marathag

Banned
The homoerotic subtext is very much loud and clear in the mythology though with Gilgamesh and Enkidu, which would be a problem for the Disney executives who still want international sales.
Or the initial 'taming' of wild Enkidu by the wiles of Temple Prostitute Shamhat.

Status
Not open for further replies.