Status
Not open for further replies.
However, Jim Henson surprised nearly everyone when he suggested that they retain the film and TV rights to The Transformers, The Inhumanoids, and Jem and the Holograms. The rest of the Sunbow coproduction rights would be sold back to Hasbro. Henson saw potential in the clever transforming robots and figured that there could be potential in having a Kaiju franchise, particularly one that lent itself to an environmentalist interpretation, while VP of Children’s Entertainment Margaret Loesch had a soft spot for Jem, a show that she’d executive produced. Henson consulted with his daughter Cheryl on My Little Pony, a franchise that he didn’t quite get (“they’re all the same toy, just with different spots on their butt!”), but she said that while the toys were “really cute” she considered the series to be vapid and demeaning to little girls[6].

Disney would largely sit on those rights for the foreseeable future. However, once they decided to take them off the shelf, the results would change everything.
Something else I would like to add is that I could see the Transformers line going the down same route as OTL with the Head/Target/Powermasters, Pretenders, and Micromasters lines until sputtering out in 1990 with the Action Masters. However, it should be worth nothing that Hasbro might still release the Generation 2 line in 1992 and if Henson wanted to do something with the rights, that would be the best time. Perhaps a Generation 2 series that is not a repackaging of G1? :rolleyes:

An actual Gen2 series? Keep that idea handy if the Khan ever does another Soft Pitch call for Disney Channel TV shows in the 90s (I've got at least two to propose).

It’s interesting to me how Burton’s stylized gothic horror is having even more of a day in the sun than IOTL, and then that Japanese media is becoming prominent in America a bit earlier than IOTL too.

Being the meme-loving man I am, I can’t help but wonder if these two elements might not wonderfully come together in a little manga due to be written in a few years’ time and therefore possibly get some sort of early adaptation. Namely,
C0C7724E-2899-4AEE-8BFA-1EE4E8ED270D.jpeg

The Gen 1 tv show may have had its shortcomings though I do not think as worse than anything else. There wre more than a few notable villains and the specials and film were definitely a tier above the others.

Honestly, given how good the TV specials were, I imagine that if they maintained that level of quality with the characters, actions and villains, it would definitely be more prominent and remembered.
I love all the love! I'll make you a deal: if you and @woweed can give me the reasons, in no more than two sentences, why Cheryl will convince her father to keep the MLP rights I will gladly retcon the last post!

Thanks, and yes.

With all this talk about the Transformers are there any plans for the GoBots?
Well, I hadn't planned on going too far down the toy rabbit hole, but if you can think of a way to turn the GoBots into more than a "poor man's Transformers" I can see what I can do.

Something else I would like to add is that I could see the Transformers line going the down same route as OTL with the Head/Target/Powermasters, Pretenders, and Micromasters lines until sputtering out in 1990 with the Action Masters. However, it should be worth nothing that Hasbro might still release the Generation 2 line in 1992 and if Henson wanted to do something with the rights, that would be the best time. Perhaps a Generation 2 series that is not a repackaging of G1? :rolleyes:
An actual Gen2 series? Keep that idea handy if the Khan ever does another Soft Pitch call for Disney Channel TV shows in the 90s (I've got at least two to propose).
I'm exploring options as it were.

It’s interesting to me how Burton’s stylized gothic horror is having even more of a day in the sun than IOTL, and then that Japanese media is becoming prominent in America a bit earlier than IOTL too.

Being the meme-loving man I am, I can’t help but wonder if these two elements might not wonderfully come together in a little manga due to be written in a few years’ time and therefore possibly get some sort of early adaptation. Namely,
Is that Vampire Hunter D? I don't read hiragana/katakana, I'm afraid. I know a handful of Kanji.

I love all the love! I'll make you a deal: if you and @woweed can give me the reasons, in no more than two sentences, why Cheryl will convince her father to keep the MLP rights I will gladly retcon the last post!
Does this mean two sentences for the both of us? If that's the case, here is my argument:

"Alot of girls like these toys and they deserve a tv show that lives up to all the potential and more. We have the responsabilty and opportunity to do better with this."

Mind if I join in for my own reasons? Because here they are!

"If you were to keep the film and television rights to My Little Pony, your boundless creativity would increase the quality of the franchise tenfold! Plus, if nothing else, the media rights to MLP would most likely go fantastically with the television rights to Transformers, which you yourself have grown to love."

**RETCON ALERT!!!**

The last post about the Transformers and other Sunbow/Hasbro IP has been retconned based on the suggestions of you the readers. Enjoy.

https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...im-henson-at-disney-1980.489210/post-21518483

Does this mean two sentences for the both of us? If that's the case, here is my argument:

"Alot of girls like these toys and they deserve a tv show that lives up to all the potential and more. We have the responsabilty and opportunity to do better with this."
Mind if I join in for my own reasons? Because here they are!

"If you were to keep the film and television rights to My Little Pony, your boundless creativity would increase the quality of the franchise tenfold! Plus, if nothing else, the media rights to MLP would most likely go fantastically with the television rights to Transformers, which you yourself have grown to love."
Sold.
I do hope someone else remembers The Visionaries and it was not just a fever dream of mine...

You'll want to check out the Retcon too, OB.

Last edited:
Given the connection between Jim Henson and Sesame Street (which has been touched on before in this story), I thought that some readers (and perhaps the author!) might be interested in this article about a different Children's Television Workshop show, 3-2-1 Contact, that was published in Physics Today this month. Fewer Muppets, but nevertheless connected through the common sponsor. Unlike Sesame Street, 3-2-1 Contact was aimed at a slightly older audience and focused on science and technology. It was produced between 1980 and 1988, according to the article, so it should be airing "in the present" of the story.

As for relevance to the narrative itself...well, I share it mostly because, as I said, I think you all might find it interesting, but I could see an episode where the show looks at the technology underlying the Muppets and perhaps Disney Imagineering more generally, possibly interviewing or involving Jim or other people involved with the Muppets. That seems like something that Jim Henson would be quite interested in and would nicely tie back into some of the previous entries on that exact subject. There might be a focus on minority or female Muppeteers or Imagineers as well, since the developers of 3-2-1 Contact took the notion that they were addressing viewers like you very seriously and worked hard to present science and technology as inclusive and universal as opposed to being the province of old white dudes in lab coats working all day and all night.

In the longer run, the success of 3-2-1 Contact was a factor in the creation of shows such as Bill Nye and The Magic School Bus in the 1990s, and one of the people behind it, Samuel Gibbon Jr., moved on from 3-2-1 Contact to create a similar television show, The Voyage of the Mimi, that seems to have been one of Ben Affleck's first roles, so it could have a little bit of relevance as the narrative moves on, too.

As for relevance to the narrative itself...well, I share it mostly because, as I said, I think you all might find it interesting, but I could see an episode where the show looks at the technology underlying the Muppets and perhaps Disney Imagineering more generally, possibly interviewing or involving Jim or other people involved with the Muppets. That seems like something that Jim Henson would be quite interested in and would nicely tie back into some of the previous entries on that exact subject. There might be a focus on minority or female Muppeteers or Imagineers as well, since the developers of 3-2-1 Contact took the notion that they were addressing viewers like you very seriously and worked hard to present science and technology as inclusive and universal as opposed to being the province of old white dudes in lab coats working all day and all night.
Sounds like an interesting idea. I still recall the episode of Reading Rainbow where Burton took viewers behind the scenes on TNG!

Is that Vampire Hunter D? I don't read hiragana/katakana, I'm afraid. I know a handful of Kanji.

Yeah, sorry for being too obtuse with the reference. JJBA Part 1 is an intriguing and straightforward sort of Victorian tragedy mixed with shonen-style over the top action and blatant rock music references. It’s much more tame than the later, more famous JJBA Parts, but it’s got enough of a self-contained story that a stand-alone adaptation could work.

Nevertheless it’s not due to come out until 1989 so it’s not an imminent prospect, just an idea I wanted to throw out there.

, seeing them as a potential youth-friendly Dungeons & Dragons supplement.
The same could be said for MLP, as demonstrated by what G4 became.
As plenty of fanfic shows it's easy to twist dials to make as light or dark fantasy world as you want.

I expect great things from Jem, since Disney already has experience from Halyx.

Given the connection between Jim Henson and Sesame Street (which has been touched on before in this story), I thought that some readers (and perhaps the author!) might be interested in this article about a different Children's Television Workshop show, 3-2-1 Contact, that was published in Physics Today this month. Fewer Muppets, but nevertheless connected through the common sponsor. Unlike Sesame Street, 3-2-1 Contact was aimed at a slightly older audience and focused on science and technology. It was produced between 1980 and 1988, according to the article, so it should be airing "in the present" of the story.

In the longer run, the success of 3-2-1 Contact was a factor in the creation of shows such as Bill Nye and The Magic School Bus in the 1990s, and one of the people behind it, Samuel Gibbon Jr., moved on from 3-2-1 Contact to create a similar television show, The Voyage of the Mimi, that seems to have been one of Ben Affleck's first roles, so it could have a little bit of relevance as the narrative moves on, too.
I loved 3-2-1 Contact. I was a total Science Nerd growing up and still am. I think something like that would be a great idea. I definitely see that episode happening ITTL, so *makes it so*.

And yea, I recall Voyage of the Mimi! If you were an '80s kid you had it shown to you in School even if you missed it on PBS. I'll never get the theme song out of my head now. Well, I guess 2021 is The Year of the Sea Shanty, after all...

Recall Where the Wild Things Are had a Sea Shanty-based song, so Trendsetter!! :cool:
Sounds like an interesting idea. I still recall the episode of Reading Rainbow where Burton took viewers behind the scenes on TNG!

Yep, exactly like that. And I recall Mr. Rogers taking us behind the scenes with Lou Ferigno at the Incredible Hulk TV Series.
Yeah, sorry for being too obtuse with the reference. JJBA Part 1 is an intriguing and straightforward sort of Victorian tragedy mixed with shonen-style over the top action and blatant rock music references. It’s much more tame than the later, more famous JJBA Parts, but it’s got enough of a self-contained story that a stand-alone adaptation could work.

Nevertheless it’s not due to come out until 1989 so it’s not an imminent prospect, just an idea I wanted to throw out there.
Great, thanks! I'll check it out. I think I have just the place for it.

The same could be said for MLP, as demonstrated by what G4 became.
As plenty of fanfic shows it's easy to twist dials to make as light or dark fantasy world as you want.

I expect great things from Jem, since Disney already has experience from Halyx.
Hmmm...I can see a Jem Live show at Disney parks starring actors.

Be honest. Which one of us were you more touched by when me and CountDVB laid out reasons as to why Jim Henson should also grab the film and television rights to MLP?
Yes. :winkytongue:

Great, thanks! I'll check it out. I think I have just the place for it.

Hmmm...I can see a Jem Live show at Disney parks starring actors.

Yes. :winkytongue:
1: Is that place the new MGM, by any chance?
2: Well, if OTL's Disney-MGM Studios can grab the rights to TMNT, Barbie, and Goosebumps for the purpose of live shows, then TTL's Disney theme parks can most definitely have a live Jem show.
3: I see. Have a great day!

Status
Not open for further replies.