Status
Not open for further replies.
I majored in history and minored in computer science. I absolutely feel The Khan's, and Brian's respective pain. My original career plans involved historical political/military simulations a-la Koei and Paradox Entertainment, with novels and screenwriting as a fallback. I'm closing in on a twenty year anniversary as a telephone operator instead, or would be if not for that nanoscopic spikey ball that must not be named...
At least you've a job....

That explain your obsesion with atari and obscure microcomputers(maybe too young but for me all was the pentium and laptop revolution)

Last edited:
Yamato Oni just means Japanese Ogre. You might want something little more tactful...

Name choice is deliberate. By 1980's cultural standards that IS tactful. George Lucas was shocked that Indian people saw his "bug-eating, child-enslaving, heart ripping cult of Kali" thing as disrespectful of Hindu culture.

Oh, of course, I'm fully aware of that. If you think electromagnetism is bad, wait till you read up on astronomy, which is basically a crazy mess of "this is about as good as we could do at the time, and we're still doing it because it would be too much work to change" dating back literally thousands of years.

My new favorite is Neuroanatomy. It's amazing how many of the parts of the brain, once translated from Greek/Latin, are called things like "the stripy stuff" (striatum), "the pale ball" (globus pallidus), and "the black stuff" (substantia nigra), and that's just in "the bunch of nerves at the bottom" (basal ganglia). Just goes to show that even scientists aren't always that creative. They just hide it under other languages. Of course law is pretty much the same: habeus corpus = "[you will] have body".

Name choice is deliberate. By 1980's cultural standards that IS tactful. George Lucas was shocked that Indian people saw his "bug-eating, child-enslaving, heart ripping cult of Kali" thing as disrespectful of Hindu culture.

I was assuming Ms. Henson was a little bit more tactful than ol' George.

I was assuming Ms. Henson was a little bit more tactful than ol' George.
That ceased to be her idea, maybe she didn't notice, or was to late when realize that...

She chose the name Oni based on her love of mythology. Spielberg added "Yamato" because of the WWII battleship of the same name. Adding more fun to it, the individual kanji for Yamato are roughly meaning "great" in this context (could also translate to "mountain" (山) as well) and meaning "harmony". Ogre of Great Harmony!

Or we can look at the sanskrit definition for Yama and it becomes a Hindu/Buddhist god/demon/spirit of Death and punishment/retribution.

Huyck's dog was indeed named after the Steel Helmet character, so the indirect reference is still there. In this case The Kid Sidekick earned the name Willie (per Lucas' dog) first, leaving Hou with the other name.
I always knew of Indiana and Chewbacca as being based upon George's dogs. But had no idea of Huyck and his dog. As stated though I have became a massive Sam Fuller fan. Is there any chances of saving his Hollywood career ITTL? White Dog's production and reception was a shame. RIP Sam, if I had a cigar I would take a puff just for you.

She chose the name Oni based on her love of mythology. Spielberg added "Yamato" because of the WWII battleship of the same name. Adding more fun to it, the individual kanji for Yamato are roughly meaning "great" in this context (could also translate to "mountain" (山) as well) and meaning "harmony". Ogre of Great Harmony!

Or we can look at the sanskrit definition for Yama and it becomes a Hindu/Buddhist god/demon/spirit of Death and punishment/retribution.
I don't know if this is because of how name puns in Japanese have kind of rubbed off on me, but what about having the name be Mato Oniya?

In the Japanese order, it'd be Oniya Mato (おにや まと), which any Japanese person could tell is referencing 鬼 and 大和. Additionally, the kanji characters 矢 (arrow) and 的 (target, mark, bullseye) can be read as "ya" and "mato" respectively, so his kanji name could be 鬼矢 的, and perhaps mean that his name is "Target of Ogre's Arrow", which may reference what role Mato plays in the story. I'd suspect that, if somehow both "Ogre of Great Harmony" and "Target of Ogre's Arrow" are pulled off in the story, Japanese audiences would be willing to forgive the fact that the name isn't real at all, and instead see it as a nice bit of fun that the American creators tried to pull off.

Rosenheim

Donor

Just as an aside for those interested, 大和 Yamato with that kanji is an older term for Japan as a whole/the Japanese race. It is also used as both a first and last name, so it's not too strange to see it here, though it does sound funny next to Oni. Like if one of the German villains was Alp Allemagne or Kraut Geist. Still pretty spot on for the conventions of the era, regarding foreign Eastern villains though.

Last edited:
I don't know if this is because of how name puns in Japanese have kind of rubbed off on me, but what about having the name be Mato Oniya?

In the Japanese order, it'd be Oniya Mato (おにや まと), which any Japanese person could tell is referencing 鬼 and 大和. Additionally, the kanji characters 矢 (arrow) and 的 (target, mark, bullseye) can be read as "ya" and "mato" respectively, so his kanji name could be 鬼矢 的, and perhaps mean that his name is "Target of Ogre's Arrow", which may reference what role Mato plays in the story. I'd suspect that, if somehow both "Ogre of Great Harmony" and "Target of Ogre's Arrow" are pulled off in the story, Japanese audiences would be willing to forgive the fact that the name isn't real at all, and instead see it as a nice bit of fun that the American creators tried to pull off.

I like it! This will be exactly how the name is portrayed in the Japanese release. There were already notable differences between the Japanese, Chinese, Taiwanese, and world releases. This will further cement the deal! Hat-tip coming your way, Damien.

Just as an aside for those interested, 大和 Yamato with that kanji is an older term for Japan as a whole/the Japanese race. It is also used as both a first and last name, so it's not too strange to see it here, though it does sound funny next to Oni. Like if one of the German villains was Alp Allemagne or Kraut Geist. Still pretty spot on for the conventions of the era, regarding foreign Eastern villains though.

Which was exactly what I was going for here, actually. It won't be the only thing that contemporary or later audiences will find objectionable about this movie. It's all the product of well meaning white people looking at the world through 1980s Goggles.

PS Ninja Edit: here's another Easter egg I was slipping into the production since we're on the subject: In an Easter egg for Mandarin speakers, Wu Lì, annoyed with the “Willie” nickname, asks Indy if he should be called “Ēn dì” (恩 地), or, roughly, “benevolent dirt”.

Last edited:
I always knew of Indiana and Chewbacca as being based upon George's dogs. But had no idea of Huyck and his dog. As stated though I have became a massive Sam Fuller fan. Is there any chances of saving his Hollywood career ITTL? White Dog's production and reception was a shame. RIP Sam, if I had a cigar I would take a puff just for you.

Willie was also Lucas' dog at the time of writing Temple of Doom. Naming Indy Jr. "Mutt" was a callback to this. I'll think about Sam Fuller. He wasn't really on my radar for this TL but let me research things.

Ninja Edit: with the White Dog controversy hitting in 1981 it'll be hard to butterfly outright, but I'll see what I can do.

Last edited:
Willie was also Lucas' dog at the time of writing Temple of Doom. Naming Indy Jr. "Mutt" was a callback to this. I'll think about Sam Fuller. He wasn't really on my radar for this TL but let me research things.

Ninja Edit: with the White Dog controversy hitting in 1981 it'll be hard to butterfly outright, but I'll see what I can do.
My point exactly he is never on anyone's radar. I realize it is too late to butterfly the original controversy as you stated. But I was thinking butterflies could cause it to be reevaluated much earlier than OTL. And maybe he returns to Hollywood to direct a couple more films in the 90's before his passing. At the least it would be cool to see him make a cameo in Pulp Fiction.

“Nazis, I hate Nazis. But militaristic fascist Great Yamato Culters: I can trade with them until they interrupt my own imperialist interests in China.”

Lacks the ring. Then again Indy wasn’t a premature anti fascist.

My point exactly he is never on anyone's radar. I realize it is too late to butterfly the original controversy as you stated. But I was thinking butterflies could cause it to be reevaluated much earlier than OTL. And maybe he returns to Hollywood to direct a couple more films in the 90's before his passing. At the least it would be cool to see him make a cameo in Pulp Fiction.

Sure enough. I'm looking into things. As of "now" in the TL he's in self-imposed exile in France.

Thomas & Friends
Awdry “Railroad Series” to see New Life on Small Screen
Article from the London Times, September 15th, 1983

The Reverend W. Awdry’s classic children’s stories of his “Railway Series” are set to see television release both in Britain and the United States. Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends[1], a co-production between The Britt Alcott Company, Clearwater Features, and Walt Disney Studios, will debut on the 19th of September on both CBBC and The Disney Channel. The debut marks the culmination of over two decades of unsuccessful attempts to translate the Railway Series for the screen.

thomas_1981-first-live-action-shot_wide-9628b2638fb8d5e9f74b2bbdcb9b0a44b3f4dc46-s800-c85.jpg

Rev. Awdry on the set of Thomas the Tank Engines & Friends 1983 (image source NPR.org)

Alcott first approached the Rev. Awdry for a television production of his stories in the year 1979; this was shortly after having interviewed him for a documentary on the Bluebell Railway. Despite his hesitance, given the previously unsuccessful attempts to translate the stories to the screen, Alcott was able to secure from him the rights to the stories for £50,000. After a long and tiring search for producers, Alcott made partnership with Clearwater Features, Ltd., in 1981 and produced a few minutes of promotional test footage. Alcott, however, was unable to find a sponsor for the production who was also willing to afford to her the creative control which she sought[2].

In early 1983, after securing the employment of former Beatle Ringo Starr to serve as narrator, she was directed by Starr to his former bandmate George Harrison, who was in turn in partnership with Walt Disney Productions to produce former Python Terry Gilliam’s 1984 & ½. Harrison informed Alcott that Disney was seeking new television productions to fill the broadcast schedule for its premium Disney Channel, and that the Railway Series might be of interest. Alcott flew to New York where she met with Disney Chief Creative executive Jim Henson, who was suitably impressed with the clever “live-action model animation” process that director David Mitton of Clearwater Films had devised.

“I of course loved The Muppets,” Alcott told the Times. “And Mr. Henson was as sweet, friendly, and gracious as one would expect the man behind Kermit to be. He enjoyed the test footage and agreed to produce.”

Alcott received from Disney her desired level of creative control and Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends entered into production, with the first episodes set for release as stated. An initial series of 26 episodes is planned for broadcast.

You Simply Must Meet Thomas!
Article from Disney Magazine, September 10th, 1983

Thomas Tank Engine’s coming home to the Disney Channel this Sunday! Disney and Britt Alcroft are bringing the Reverend W. Awdry’s classic “Railway Series” to television with delightful “live action” train model animation. Watch as the Island of Sodor comes to life with many memorable characters like persnickety Percy, confident Edward, haughty Gordon, vain James, and of course “cheeky” Thomas! You never knew trains could have such personality, each with a unique set of character quirks that they must learn to overcome as they work together to transcend their differences and get the job done! And bringing it all together, the legendary Ringo Starr provides the narration! Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends will debut on Sunday the 19th of September at 2 pm Eastern/Mountain Time, 1 pm Central/Pacific, only on The Disney Channel!

[1] A Tip-of-the-Topham Hatt to @Andrew Boyd for coming up with this idea!

[2] In our timeline they’d have to wait until 1984 when Central Independent Television, an affiliate of ITV, picked up the series.

You never knew trains could have such personality, each with a unique set of character quirks that they must learn to overcome as they work together to transcend their differences and get the job done!

This is much cleaner than "Dark Sodor" contemporary internet fanon has it. "For the love of God Montressor!" 'Yes. For the love of God.'

But Cronenberg's Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends would go down in Peoria only slightly less poorly than Lynch's Thomas the Tank Engine and "Friends."

Still. If someone has to terrorise American children with British fascism, at least it is Disney.

yours,
Sam R.

I was watching some urban exploring vidoes and I was thinking about Disovery Island.

I've always found the idea that Disney just have an abandoned Island they're doing nothing with interesting and odd. Animal Kingdom did play a big part in its closing, but it was ultimately a lot of cost to keep up an Island for what was a small half day attraction. Perhaps Disney could try and do something more with it here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.