Status
Not open for further replies.
Animator's Perspective VI: The Cauldron
Chapter 8: The Cauldron Starts Boiling
Post from the Riding with the Mouse Net-log by animator Terrell Little.

Remember how I said that some projects tended to live on like zombies, not quite living, but not yet truly dead? Well, it’s fitting that one of the most famous of these zombie projects at Disney was the one with the dead coming back to life.

The Black Cauldron was a zombie when I got to Disney and had been so for close to a decade at that point. It would continue to shuffle along in the background until we finished The Fox and the Hound when Ron Miller gave it a new jolt of life. Based on The Chronicles of Prydain books by Lloyd Alexander, it was all Welsh mythology: psychic pigs, witches, fairies, and undead warriors. And those fairies weren’t Tinkerbell neither, but old school “fair folk” type, third cousins of the Voodoo Loas. Creepy stuff.

Ron saw this as the film that was going to reinvigorate Disney animation, a “Snow White” for our generation, but with skeletons, not dwarves. It would be filmed in 70 mm. He had big hopes for it, and new Creative Director Jim Henson was going to be his man to make it happen. John Musker had been handling the early production, but when Richard Rich, Ted Berman, and Art Stevens moved in once Fox was done…well, they weren’t pleased with his work. They complained to Jim, but Jim wanted nothing to do with personnel squabbles back then[1] and deferred to Ron, who ultimately handed the project to Joe Hale.

I worked as an inbetweener on this one just as I had on Fox. I could have been more. When Joe ramped up production, he went looking for fresh artists, hoping to create the “fresh new look” Ron wanted. I presented Joe and Jim some of my best sketches. I really worked hard to present the most detailed, three-dimensional, professional-looking drawings I could deliver while still maintaining a conspicuously “Disney” look.

By contrast, Tim Burton gave them stick figures. Tim was selected, along with Mike Peraza, another temporary Muppeteer on The Muppet Movie like Tim[2]. I was not. I smelled a rat.

burton-kahl-580x329.jpg

Tim Burton’s images vs. Milt Kahl’s (Image source “Mouse in Transition” blog by Steve Hulett, cartoonbrew.com)

For years it bugged me. Why stick figures? Sure, they were pretty unique stick figures – anyone who knows his later work will know the “Burton look” – but they were stick figures. Jim loved them. I was heartbroken and more than a little peeved for a long time afterwards, certain he and Mike were chosen just because they used to work for Jim, however temporarily. It was only a few years later, when Disney Archivist Dave Smith and Cheryl Henson were adding some of Jim’s old drawings and notes into the Disney Archives after Henson’s company merged into Disney, that I finally understood. I got the chance to peek at some of them. Henson’s notes were chock-full of little doodles, most hardly more than stick figures themselves. Some looked like monsters, some looked like Kermit. Some were even less complex than Tim’s stick figures from Cauldron. All had personality.

One in particular stood out to me. It was little more than two circle-dot eyes, a wide scribble-slash of a mouth, and a bunch of little lines radiating like an oblong circle under the eyes, framing out a wide face. I looked at it and immediately saw Cookie Monster. There must’ve been fewer than 20 lines in it. The two circles were the most complex shapes. But there he was: Cookie Monster, distilled right down to his Platonic ideal, staring right back at me.

Cookie.png

Random ‘60s doodle by Jim Henson (Image copied from back cover of Imagination Illustrated)

In that instant I got it. I got what Jim saw in Tim’s stick figures. I should have listened to Don Griffith when he said “Less is more.”

So, Jim, Joe, Tim, and Mike went to work, sketching out the ideas. Jim brought his old Dark Crystal collaborator Brian Froud into the team, which made Tim giddy, seeing as how Tim had become an instant fan[3] after working with Brian on Crystal. Brian, being a conspicuously Celtic artist, had a very distinct look for his fairies and spirits and even people, all long and thin and otherworldly and covered in knotted woad tattoos. He and Tim had much creepier ideas for what the characters would look like than Vance Gerry’s old ‘70s stuff. For example, rather than looking like a puppy as Vance had imagined him, Gurgi the beast man was…wow. Possessed spider monkey gremlin?
Again, Jim loved it and encouraged the unique take, even as some of the older artists tried to push back. They wanted the job to go to someone “more experienced” (i.e. old fashioned and traditional) like Woolie or Milt Kahl. The Cauldron bubbled on. When a civil war threatened to break out between the storyboard artists and the directors, Jim stood up…and deflected to Ron. But Ron, rumor has it acting on Jim’s advice, stuck with the newer, more radical ideas, even in the face of opposition from Card and Donn. Ron, in one of his first big pushbacks against his mentors, stuck with Jim and Joe. The Cauldron bubbled on, and it would look unlike any Disney animated feature that came before[4].

And it would read and sound unlike anything before as well. They had Rosemary Anne Sisson writing, making things as Welsh as possible, and had Elmer Bernstein doing the score. And for the first time there were no musical numbers, no “I want” song or villain song. Old timers pushed back. The Rat’s Nest counterattacked. The cauldron bubbled on. Homes à Court made his run on the company and we all wondered if we were a dead company walking, adding a dark metatext to the whole production. Still, the cauldron bubbled on.

Now, once things ramp up in animation on a feature [length animation], this is where things get crazy and can spin out of control fast. Different groups working in isolation from different storyboards can produce totally different products with totally different looks. Cauldron got even crazier because all kinds of ideas for new technology were bubbling up. Stan Kinsey’s DATA[5] folks added in some early computer graphics, mostly “floating ball of light” stuff and a CG boat. The team experimented with 3D filming and model backgrounds, but abandoned it. They filmed actual dry ice fog for the mist effects. There was even a pitch for actual holographic projectors to be used for the big Cauldron Born scene[6], but the extreme cost of the cameras limited this to only appearing in special showings at the Disney parks. All one big, bubbling cauldron with a thousand ingredients being selectively tossed in.

But that’s the thing about a bubbling cauldron that anyone from the creole south can tell you: you can throw just about anything in, but it’s when you throw it in that will make all the difference. Toss it all in at random, and you get a mushy sort of gruel. But spice it right, time it right, heat it right, and give it a good foundation, and you make gumbo.

And Jim Henson can make one hell of a gumbo, it seems. Some application of heat is important for gumbo, but finding the right heat level is critical. By completely ignoring all the petty squabbles between the factions and instead just focusing on the project, he refused to fan the fires more than he had to. Once again, the right ingredients at the right time make or break the gumbo. Folks flooded him with a thousand suggestions, recommendations, ideas, and complaints, coming in from all sectors of the company, but Jim was picky about what ingredients he chose to put in or leave out. Finally, Joe and the team tried to add in some pretty gruesome stuff, like flesh rotting and boiling off of the bodies, but Jim pushed back. He wanted it scary, but not traumatizing[7].

Spicy is good, but too much spice ruins the gumbo.

Cauldron all came together in the end[8]. It was dark and creepy, but not complete nightmare juice. I thought it was a magnificent, spicy gumbo and I was glad to play my small part in it.

Not everyone likes a good, spicy gumbo, though.

[1] Henson tended to duck out of personnel disputes as part of his larger conflict-adverse nature. In this timeline he’s getting better about this by 1984 (because he’s had no choice, getting pulled between Ron and Roy), but in 1980 this is still the standard reaction for him.

[2] This is a coincidence! Joe Hale selected Burton and Peraza as his animators in our timeline too. Burton’s brief role in The Muppet Movie is well known, but I only found out about Peraza's from his blog.

[3] I have no idea if Tim Burton likes Brian Froud or The Dark Crystal (I can’t find any evidence either way), but I assume that he’d like Froud’s work.

[4] In our timeline the conservatives won out. Burton and Musker’s ideas were out and Milt Kahl was brought back from retirement, with the animation remaining much more traditional Disney in form. Ironically, the story got darker and more violent and gruesome while the character designs became more old-fashioned and traditional.

[5] Disney Advanced Technology Animation, equivalent to this timeline’s Computer Animation Production System (CAPS). More on this and related fun in a future post.

[6] This was actually experimented with in our timeline and totally abandoned. Here, Jim likes it enough that they set up screenings at Disneyland and EPCOT as a special attraction.

[7] The infamous lost “cut scenes” from The Black Cauldron in our timeline, which literally traumatized the little kids who came to the first rough cut screening, were awkwardly cut out by Jeff Katzenberg, who hadn’t yet learned the limitations on editing animation, leading to some notable skips and gaps in the film. See what got cut here (warning: surprisingly graphic!). Jim Henson made some pretty macabre shit back in the day, but he stopped short of blood and pus and melting flesh. Paradoxically, this timeline’s version of The Black Cauldron will be both creepier and more macabre than our timeline’s, but also less gruesome and gory.

[8] So, how does Jim Henson manage to avoid the disorganized mess that happened with Cauldron in our timeline? Is there something special about him? Not exactly. Mostly, he just offered a unified vision. He was a single head chef, compared to the “too many cooks” situation of our timeline. Seriously, our timeline’s production was such a disorganized mess that Disney writer Steve Hulett dubbed his blog post on it “Cauldron of Confusion” and Disney animator Mike Peraza called his blog posts “Cauldron of Chaos”. Honestly, any unified vision would probably have delivered a better movie, regardless of the visuals or story. Jeff Katzenberg could have made a better movie had he been on hand from the beginning. Walt Disney’s greatest ability according to Woolie Reitherman was simply being able to juggle all of the egos and competing visions in a project and present a unified vision, something that Jim Henson and Jeff Katzenberg both excelled at, despite their radically different personalities and leadership styles.

Last edited:
Don’t think I saw The Black Cauldron OTL, but this does seem quite interesting as a movie. Wonder how well it plays in Wales?

I bet the working environment at Disney massively changed for the survivors of the a’ la Court bid. The parties where likely huge.

More please!

Great update as usual! The Black Cauldron definitely had a lot of potential, so it's great to see it come out as a more cohesive product ITTL.

One minor quibble: One of your footnotes states that Elmer Bernstein's score was replaced by one by James Horner IOTL. I'm not sure if you were thinking about another movie, but the movie still had Elmer Bernstein's score IOTL.

Alternately, what if Natural History Project was reimagined as a documentary series like the later BBC production Walking with Dinosaurs? Perhaps if Jurassic Park releases before the NHP is past preproduction Disney chooses to scrap the movie so they don't look like they're playing copycat. All the research and assets made for the movie would still be good and could be used as a foundation to a series of 'docu-fiction' television episodes broadcast on Disney Channel. Used to illustrate the accelerating changes in how we imagine the lives of prehistoric life, the Natural History Project could become a new Fantasia for Disney, periodically updated with new episodes, featuring new eras and environments (and in a bold move, explicitly pointing out where previous episodes got it wrong).
I wonder if they'd go with a traditional documentary style or if Disney would do something like Chased by Dinosaurs/Prehistoric Park and have human "time travelers" serve as guides for the audience and interact directly with the dinosaurs/mammoths/freakyfish/etc.
Wow this is probably the best idea I've seen on this thread, though this maybe because I love palaeontology and paleomedia (the technical term for dinosaur documentaries). I definitely lean towards the latter, maybe as an allohistorical reference to Jeff Corwin's Going Wild series on OTL's Disny Channel.

Also, for some reason, I keep thinking of CBS' Dinosaur special as hosted by Christopher Reeve when I think of this potential series.

@Plateosaurus I knew I'd remembered the Dinosaur (exclamation point) title from somewhere!
I must give full credit to the animation team for their stop-motion work, I don't know what CBS's budget was on this but it was money well spent. A prospective Disney production would undoubtedly have better music though!

Don’t think I saw The Black Cauldron OTL, but this does seem quite interesting as a movie. Wonder how well it plays in Wales?

I bet the working environment at Disney massively changed for the survivors of the a’ la Court bid. The parties where likely huge.

More please!

More coming. In fact, the changing culture of Disney at the Executive and Working level is coming up.

Great update as usual! The Black Cauldron definitely had a lot of potential, so it's great to see it come out as a more cohesive product ITTL.

One minor quibble: One of your footnotes states that Elmer Bernstein's score was replaced by one by James Horner IOTL. I'm not sure if you were thinking about another movie, but the movie still had Elmer Bernstein's score IOTL.

Yes, I'm thinking of something else. Edited.

Wow this is probably the best idea I've seen on this thread, though this maybe because I love palaeontology and paleomedia (the technical term for dinosaur documentaries). I definitely lean towards the latter, maybe as an allohistorical reference to Jeff Corwin's Going Wild series on OTL's Disny Channel.

Also, for some reason, I keep thinking of CBS' Dinosaur special as hosted by Christopher Reeve when I think of this potential series.
@Plateosaurus I knew I'd remembered the Dinosaur (exclamation point) title from somewhere!
I must give full credit to the animation team for their stop-motion work, I don't know what CBS's budget was on this but it was money well spent. A prospective Disney production would undoubtedly have better music though!

The Natural History Project will indeed come up. Stay Tuned! 📺

Assuming the novel Jurassic Park is still written, maybe, ITTL, Warner Brothers gets the rights and Tim Burton directs the movie adaptation. How much darker and gorier would that adaptation have been (for one thing, Nedry's demise is far more gruesome in the novel)?

Assuming the novel Jurassic Park is still written, maybe, ITTL, Warner Brothers gets the rights and Tim Burton directs the movie adaptation. How much darker and gorier would that adaptation have been (for one thing, Nedry's demise is far more gruesome in the novel)?

1. That is awesome! I'd love to see that movie! I've read the novel and a faithful adaption would be a hard R horror film.
2. That's unlikely in a theatrical cut simply because young children are such an obvious target audience that it would be like burning money to give it anything more than a T; most likely a PG is in order. Perhaps a "special unrated edition" sees VHS/VCD.

TBH, I can see Tim Burton giving the adaptation his signature 50's B-movie homage style here. I can't see him doing a then-current scifi style like our film got.

That last line is ominous though. I think it's clear The Black Cauldron will be better than the OTL one, but of course no-one at Disney will know that. It sounds like it's not a film that everyone can appreciate, even if critics and animators love it, so it may not do that much better at the box office.

This is purely from a quick wiki skim, so may well be wrong, but didn't the problems on Black Cauldron directly lead to The Great Mouse Detective? Will making Black Cauldron a better film mean that the TGMD ends up worse, as the people who would work on it are convinced to stay working under Henson?

Fundamentally I think Disney would prefer one big success and one disappointment rather than two mediocre films (OK they want two big successes, but if they had to chose I think they'd go that way). I think it's possible that's what they might be getting in box office terms, even if in 'artistic' terms both films are actually well received by critics. I'm intrigued to see how that all turns out.

I still don't understand why everyone seems to want to mess with Jurassic Park. I don't see a reason for Crichton/Spielberg to use a different production company than they did OTL, just because Henson is around (maybe he's not, he could be busy on other projects).

I still don't understand why everyone seems to want to mess with Jurassic Park. I don't see a reason for Crichton/Spielberg to use a different production company than they did OTL, just because Henson is around (maybe he's not, he could be busy on other projects).

Maybe it'll be butterflies ITTL...

Don't get me wrong, I like the Spielberg version--but I am interested in seeing how a Burton or Joe Dante (who would have directed it for Universal, had they won the rights) would have turned out...

And Nedry's offscreen demise worked in the 1993 version, because all we heard were screams from both the dinosaur and Nedry--we didn't see what was going on, which made it even scarier (under the Nothing Is Scarier trope)...

Last edited:
And Nedry's offscreen demise worked in the 1993 version, because all we heard were screams from both the dinosaur and Nedry--we didn't see what was going on, which made it even scarier (under the Nothing Is Scarier trope)...

Didn't you ever see The Last Action Hero? Those could have been Nedry's kiais as he beat the dilophosaurus to death with his hands and feet. If Tim Burton or Reny Harlin had directed The Lost World or Jurassic Park III, and featured the triumphant return on Dennis Nedry (and the price was right for the actor ro reprise the role), then while it might feel contrived, it won't be totally story breaking. Or, at least, far less so than what happened to Profesxor X in X-Men 3: The Last Stand.

Rule of cinema #41: if you don't see the death onscreen, or positively identified remains later, never assume the character is dead, not even otherwise seeming monster munch experiencing laser guided karma.

But this is neither here nor there. Personally, I want to see a James Cameron Jurassic Park series with Harrison Ford as Dr. Grant, Cynthia Rothick as Dr. Statler, and David Spade as Dr. Malcolm, while Tim Burton gets to direct Carnosaur. But first, I want to see a better Oliver and Company and Brave Little Toaster.

Last edited:

Firstly, Jurassic Park is one of my favourite films and I would like to see what Henson would have done with it (whilst he probably wouldn't direct, I would like to see what he would have suggested about the script).

Secondly, if Henson lives into the 90's, I can see him, as both a visual effects pioneer and someone who is interested in dinosaurs, reading Michael Crichton's novel. I can also see Steven Spielberg (who was pretty much the main driving force of filming JP OTL) recommending Henson to Michael Crichton - given Amblin have Disney shares and already have a good working relationship with them (what with Ghostbusters and Back to the Future), I can see them trying to get the JP film rights to Disney.

Thirdly, if Universal don't make Jurassic Park and it becomes as popular as it did in OTL, I can see Universal looking to remake King Kong in the 90's to capitalise on Jurassic Park's popularity (billing it as "The Film That Inspired Jurassic Park") and they let Peter Jackson make it in 1996. If King Kong gets made at Universal in 1996, this makes Peter Jackson a household name before Lord of the Rings, which would make Disney and Miramax more sympathetic to his creative choices (which they weren't OTL)

However, if we're talking Henson and dinosaur films, I would love to see James Gurney's Dinotopia done at Fantasia Films with dinosaurs done by Jim Henson's Creature Shop. I have been a Dinotopia fan since I was a little kid and I have always thought that it reads like a Jim Henson movie. If Henson lives into the 90's in this timeline (and please, @Geekhis Khan, make it so), I would love to see what Henson would have made of Dinotopia.

Maybe we'd get an actually good Dinotopia adaptation rather than the meh Hallmark series and the fucking abysmal animated film, Quest For The Ruby Sunstone.

However, if we're talking Henson and dinosaur films, I would love to see James Gurney's Dinotopia done at Fantasia Films with dinosaurs done by Jim Henson's Creature Shop. I have been a Dinotopia fan since I was a little kid and I have always thought that it reads like a Jim Henson movie. If Henson lives into the 90's in this timeline (and please, @Geekhis Khan, make it so), I would love to see what Henson would have made of Dinotopia.
I second both points here (Jim Henson living into the 1990s maybe even the 2000s and a Disney/HA Dinotopia.)

I second both points here (Jim Henson living into the 1990s maybe even the 2000s and a Disney/HA Dinotopia.)

Hell yes! The big problem with Dinotopia is that nobody's ever made a proper adaptation of it - we got one meh miniseries and one fucking abysmal animated film. If Disney/HA ITTL make a version of Dinotopia that actually does the books justice, then I will be very, very happy.

Whenever I read Dinotopia as a little kid, I always thought some of the scenes and characters were very Hensonian in nature - given that James Gurney was apparently a huge Jim Henson fan, so who knows, it may have been deliberate.

As a digression, @Geekhis Khan, I am loving this whole story!

Whilst I was born in 1996 (so well after Henson's heyday - in fact, well after his death), I was introduced to his works by my dad , who is a massive Henson fan - he loves everything to do with the Muppets, Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal. In fact, every Christmas Eve, for the past twenty years (ever since I was about three or four years old), we've watched The Muppet Christmas Carol.

To this day, every single Christmas Eve, me, my dad, my mum, my older sister and whatever canine companion we may have, sit in front of the TV, with some popcorn and drinks and watch, from beginning to end, The Muppet Christmas Carol. And my sister and I, who are both in our twenties, look forward to it every year - it's our family's Christmas tradition. My sister and I have both stated to our dad that, if we have kids (with other people, obviously), we're going to continue the tradition.

I wonder what my dad'd think of all this. I might show it to him.

Fun fact: George Lucas's kids loved Dinotopia. Naboo was deliberately modled on the city from the book. Just throwing that out there. :cool:

And, in the Save Disney chapters, you mentioned that Lucasfilm bought Disney shares....

So, a Disney/Lucasfilm/HA Dinotopia collaboration? Yeah!

Last edited:
I too support a possible Disney Dinotopia live adaptation, something that would fit right in with Disney classics like Swiss Family Robinson and 20,000 Leagues. Just imagine a Dinotopia tour ride at Disney parks!
I suppose my objection to changing Jurassic Park in this timeline is that I don't think including the Henson Creature Workshop would improve it at all. I count JP was one of those movies where all the parts have to line up as-is for the 'special sauce' that made it so great to work.

Speaking of the Muppets Christmas Carol, I recall ages back (probably late 90s) listening on the radio as the CBC rated the best adaptations of the Dickens classic. The Muppets version was ranked second best of all time, losing only to the BBC version done in (I think) the 50s and only because that one was so influential virtually every other adaptation has made reference to it in some way.
Small wonder it's become a holiday staple for many families, although I was terribly disappointed with the first DVD release when they deleted an entire song ('The Love is Gone') because it made people too sad [1]. Unfortunately that means the refrain from the end of the movie ('The Love We Found') loses a good deal of its narrative weight. I believe you can get uncut versions these days.

[1] Seriously, I think there were suicides.

Status
Not open for further replies.