Status
Not open for further replies.
What about Quentin Tarantino? The guy was tied to Harvey Weinstein for quite a while IRL, and his... unique sexual preferences are all over his movies and have become a meme, too. On the other hand, it's entirely possible that he was one of the men Weinstein sicced former Mossad agents at, in order to keep him in line.

Bernie remains "the Guy" of this timeline
Don't you mean "the Mensch" ;)

@Geekhis Khan I must say I really like that Jewish voice that you give Bernie here.
It really adds to the post how Bernie connects the concept of the Mensch to the sexual abuse cases and how it differs from the 80s/90s concept of masculinity.

We can all just hope that we stay Menschen at the end of the day.

In that sense hazlacha uwracha.

Ohhhhh, OK. My deepest, sincerest apologies man - turns out I was the mistaken one.

But while I may not be GK, I can probably assume it's more similar to OTL's NSMB more than it is SMW...just judging by the context.

OK thanks for all the kind words and interesting feedback! Yes, this was a challenging chapter to work on and took some nuance, so thanks for your patience. Tomorrow we're back to fun & games.

Does Madonna pursue other film work considering Evita is released without her ITL?
I'm sure she'll pursue film again at some point. I'll try to figure out where & when.

TTL's Eddie Murphy is going to have a field day with the Cosby trial. "Yooooouuu cannot put filth - filth flarn flarn flarn filth - in the people's chocolates!"

Not sure how to feel about Lasseter. The fact that he's trying to make up for it sounds like he was just one of those high-functioning Spectrum types who didn't understand personal space all that well.
Good update, and a lot to read about...

I think Whedon will still be somewhat of a jerk, but it won't be nearly to the extent of OTL.

Thomas' exposure for sexual harassment also derails the Clinton presidential campaign in TTL--he was accused of sexual harassment by Paula Jones in OTL...

This might help expose Jeffrey Epstein, as well...

And Richard Pryor will still be well enough to do this bit about Cosby (this is from this post by @Emperor Norton I: https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...s-in-late-80s-early-90s.413508/#post-14520912):
"All I got to say is Bill done fucked up. 30 women. 30 women! If Bill touched a titty on one woman, the CBS News the next night "Bill Cosby caught touching titties. What does this mean for America", interviewing Rudy and Theo and shit. Some White woman "As a mother, I was shocked and appalled at Bill touching women's breasts". Because you know White folk ain't gonna take that shit. Bill could dope up all the Puerto Rican bitches he wanted and White people wouldn't give a shit. But you touch one woman named 'Janice', and that shit is over. And this motherfucker was doping White women like he was going for the world record. White women, Black Women, Latin Women...that motherfucker was raping the rainbow. That motherfucker's career is over. Ain't no more Kodak film for that motherfucker. Some big prison fucker named Fareed is gonna use jello pudding to lube up his ass. Spanish fly ain't so funny now is it, motherfucker? Probably be talking about the show and shit while he was doing it. *Motions Humping* "I liked the early shows but I felt the later episodes got a little preachy. I liked "Leonard Part 6" myself. Can I get your autograph after this? Just sign the tip of my dick 'To Fareed, thanks for the memories', just right there. You can add a P.S. if you want. I got plenty of room on there.". Dance your way out of this shit in them ugly ass sweaters."

This is also going to affect Britain, too (I'm thinking of a certain BBC host with the initials JS, among others)...
Yes, comedians, particularly offensive ones, will have a field day here. And wow, @Emperor Norton really nailed Pryor there.

Are you going to do a chapter on how the earlier "Me Too" stuff affected things overseas?
No. I don't know enough about it in that case. If anyone wants to guest post send me a PM.

EDIT: I just reread your last post again; noticed the nod to the Flash and such, but did you edit the stuff pertaining to The Spirit rights to acknowledge the Will Eisner estate yet? If you did I didn’t notice anything that suggested the difference… just might want to double check that, I think.
Yes, it changed from IP to Distribution Rights. The Will Eisner Family still own the IP. @nick_crenshaw82 set me straight there.

I appreciate your efforts to work out what is best to be done with the people you've listed here. I agree to some extent with the psychology o f how you approached these and I understand that it must have been a difficult one to deal with. I think that the ones you have 'punished' if that is the word are the ones least likely to change the pattern of their behaviour and were in high enough positions to get away with it. As to the ones who have been 'saved'....hm. Well, only time will tell, right? You handled this sensitively enough in my opinion, as you have done with all of the sexual misconduct posts thus far.
Yes, it wasn't easy. There were a lot of decisions that had to be made. Who do I bring up? Do I assume guilt or innocence? What "fate" to I give them? What consequences? In general, I tried to mirror what happened iOTL where possible. Obvious cases with multiple witnesses and convictions like Harvey Weinstein were one thing. It's another case when you have someone with allegations but no convictions or confessions, or "he said, she said" situations. And what about people that haven't apparently done anything "yet"? I get a lot of posts and questions about Jeffrey Epstein. Well, as of the early 1990s I don't know of any abuses on his part. Does he make less evil decisions iTTL? Does he even become rich and famous?

And what about names like Kevin Clash, who was a big name in Muppet circles? He was accused three times starting in the early 2000s: one recanted, and two were dismissed due to Statute of Limitations. All allegedly happened "after the reckoning" iTTL. As of 1991 he's still in the closet, to himself s much as anyone else.

Not easy, and I'm trying to act with nuance here.

Can't say I'm unhappy that my pitching of the 1988 Senate races helped to make sure the numbers were line up against Clarence Thomas. That whole thing was/is really ugly IOTL and it's nice to see some consequences. I suppose there is some irony in the coattails of Gary Hart, who had his own indescrtions as it were, would tip the balance. And I'm glad to see some of the creators whose works were important to me growing up get some intervention so ITTL's jpj1421 can avoid some disappointments.
Well, I was quite surprised at how much difference even having Hart on the '88 ballot made. But as you pointed out, there were a lot of razor-thin races iOTL. This is a perfect example of the Butterfly Effect in action. Hat tip for the vote count, BTW. Sorry I left that off the post (I will correct it).

As for Cosby, is his sentencing the same as IOTL (i.e. 3-10 years)?
That sounds about right.

Shame this 'Cosby wave' does not lead into equal pay and opportunities- guess 1992 is too early for that?
Well, that's an issue for another day, and one based on numerous factors.

This is definitely quite fascinating, but there are some problems. I don't think the term "feminazi" would be thrown around in the early 1990s nor would I expect much for the discussion of "political correctness" to be talked about. Like... it's the early 1990s and HW Bush is in power.

The conservative predominance is still there and I imagine Reagan and Bush Sr would have enough clout to counter that. The Republican Revolution might be hamstrung due to butterflies if Gingrich doesn't get into power and whatnot.
According to Wikipedia, the term "feminazi" originated in the early 1990s, and was popularized by Rush Limbaugh, so it getting a earlier boost in mainstream usage doesn't seem too unrealistic. Same goes for "political correctness", appearing in some form since the 1970s as self-critical satire and used for irony, before being picked up by conservative critics of the New Left from the early 1990s onward. In fact, both appeared to become popular in conservative circles around the same time, 1991-92.

But aside from that, given the framing of the paragraph both are in, it definitely feels like this is supposed to be a glimpse into the future, or, well, the contemporary of when the book being cited from TTL came out.
@Damian0358 has the gist of it: this is a chapter of a book written well after the fact. I know having it all in one post makes it appear that this is all happening in real time in late 1991, but the Disney reckoning only starts in late 1991, with ongoing interventions and culture evaluations over the next several months, and years for the full impact of the changes to settle in. You will see numerous incidents or discussions about this issue going through the next few years.

So "Feminazi" (rather an obvious portmanteau) will eventually start to circle through Talk Radio circles, perhaps a bit earlier iTTL due to the reckoning. As the 1990s go on, the Political Correctness movement will eventually move out of the University Circles and into Corporate America, maybe with more momentum due to the "win" against Thomas, and thus will overplay their hand sooner (it really was an embarrassing self-parody from the start).

Rather than bog down the TL with multiple ongoing posts about an uncomfortable topic, it seemed better to hit it and move forward. But keep it in the back of your mind that this is an ongoing issue. Expect background talk about these "ongoing conflicts".

I had heard the term, but never knew what Mensch really meant until now. Its not even a 'Superman' type ideal either- just doing the right thing and not being a dick. Simple but effective ideal.
Well, I'm a goyim so hardly the anointed expert here, but this was my understanding. If anyone has a better understanding and can point out my mistakes, let me know.

I don’t think so. His last few films have been flops so now with him being caught, I doubt that studios would ever want to work with him again.
Well, it already cost him MGM. I figure that he'll either fade away, or pull a Roman Polanski and live on outside of the US as one of those "controversial genius" types.

Probably the former because he didn't do anything when the boys were flirting and dating the ink and paint girls, despite numerous threats. Not to mention how he didn't even fire Art Babbit for marrying a 17 year old girl (he was 29 btw).
Yea, I think Walt would sweep it under the rug. His record on gender in particular was not very progressive even by the standards of his day.

So was TUGS butterflied?
I'd say no. If anything, an earlier Thomas Boom in the US means that it shows up sooner. Perhaps there are other spinoffs with aircraft, or something. PM me ideas or a guest post on it if you want.

What about Quentin Tarantino? The guy was tied to Harvey Weinstein for quite a while IRL, and his... unique sexual preferences are all over his movies and have become a meme, too. On the other hand, it's entirely possible that he was one of the men Weinstein sicced former Mossad agents at, in order to keep him in line.
Has QT been MeToo'ed? I know he has a thing for feet, but has he ever by any reports acted inappropriately? I honestly don't know. I do have him and the rest of the 1990s "Indie Boom" in the queue as it were.

Don't you mean "the Mensch" ;)

@Geekhis Khan I must say I really like that Jewish voice that you give Bernie here.
It really adds to the post how Bernie connects the concept of the Mensch to the sexual abuse cases and how it differs from the 80s/90s concept of masculinity.

We can all just hope that we stay Menschen at the end of the day.

In that sense hazlacha uwracha.
Thanks, trying my best as a goyim to let the Chosen People in the TL speak for themselves here. I'm trying to ape the way Bernie himself wrote, and trying to avoid accidentally slipping into stereotypes, so hopefully I'm managing.

What are the differences between TTL's Super Mario Bros. 4 and OTL's Super Mario World?
I honestly have put zero thought into it. Maybe @Kalvan has some thoughts.

Question about your method please- for the events you want to depict do you have the 'voice' for that chapter in your mind first or does it only become a Bernie, news clipping, book chapter etc oce you start writing?
Well, it depends. A post either starts as a wild idea ("I wonder what Bernie would think of the Sexual Harassment issue?") or as a reaction to an external event ("How will Jim react to Clarence Thomas?"). Sometimes it's simply something needs to come up, such as a world event (election, recession, war, etc.) or major political or cultural event or technology change (e.g. CG, Internet) and I feel compelled to write about it. Or I know that a Disney Animated Film needs to come out every year or a Disney Park is set to break ground or open. Then I need to figure out the best perspective to write about it. Dry intellectual text? Wacky YouTube post? Professional interview?

And then I need to adopt the voice of the writer/speaker. I try, for example, to make "Sue Donym" sound different (more sensationalistic) than "Derek N. Dedominos" (more dry and professional) even as they discuss similar "behind the scenes at Disney" issues. That's kind of like acting: I need to "get in the head" of the person. Bernie is always a blast to write for. Mad Molly is all about embracing my inner Squee. N-cus and D-max is all about imitating the worst YouTubers and "Morning Zoo" DJs I've known. Etc.

By the way, speaking of Everybody's Favorites, I quite enjoyed that N-cus and D-max have been declared "The Scrappys" of the TL on TV Tropes. My first real Scrappys!

But anyway, I do "hear their voices" as I write. Bernie as crass and loud. Molly as really high pitched and excited. Terrell as lower voiced and serious, but wistful. And, yea, N- as a higher-pitched version of the "Simpsons Comic Book Guy" and D- as this really nasally obnoxious spaz.

Question for @Geekhis Khan - is there much in the way of interviews with the OTL Brillstein? I am now wondering what the real man is like since you have made him so interesting in your pieces.

I'd say no. If anything, an earlier Thomas Boom in the US means that it shows up sooner. Perhaps there are other spinoffs with aircraft, or something. PM me ideas or a guest post on it if you want.
I honestly didn't have much beyond having TUGS get another three seasons.

Season 2: Set in the Great Depression as both Star Tugs and Z Stacks struggle to stay afloat.
Season 3: Deals with the coming Second World War, and the tugs' efforts to contribute to the war effort.
Season 4: Ends after the War and into the early 60s, as the tugs have finally made peace while helping with post-war rebuilding.

Has QT been MeToo'ed? I know he has a thing for feet, but has he ever by any reports acted inappropriately?
No, in fact quite the opposite - he was not only horrified by Weinstein's actions IOTL, he actually confronted him over HW's assault of Uma Thurman during Kill Bill's production; QT has subsequently donated all his royalties from Miramax for the foreseeable future to women's SA prevention charities.

No, in fact quite the opposite - he was not only horrified by Weinstein's actions IOTL, he actually confronted him over HW's assault of Uma Thurman during Kill Bill's production; QT has subsequently donated all his royalties from Miramax for the foreseeable future to women's SA prevention charities.

Yeah, my understanding is that Tarantino has been rather open and honest that looking back there were a lot of red flags that he subconsciously, or otherwise, didn't pay attention to and that he regretted that.

Yeah, my understanding is that Tarantino has been rather open and honest that looking back there were a lot of red flags that he subconsciously, or otherwise, didn't pay attention to and that he regretted that.
I think this might be one of the lasting legacies of this last post, the spreading awareness among people who would have missed or chose not to notice red flags OTL now have the mental framework to say "okay, I should say something about this, it's not a little thing".
It's not going to change a lot of people, but it'll change some, and they'll set the example for others and the snowball-made-of-butterflies starts rolling, accelerating the awareness and increasing intolerance for harassment and abuse of power.

Little steps still lead somewhere.

Warren Beatty (aka Warren Beauty) hasn't been MeToo'd in OTL either, as I've mentioned, and that is a little surprising, considering the number of women he slept with before he married Annette Bening--most of his exes are still friends with him (Goldie Hawn and Diane Keaton, for instance), IIRC, or at least don't hate him (if they don't like him) (1)...

OTOH, with regards to Bill Cosby, in OTL, after Tawana Brawley. a 14-year-old African-American teenager at the time, came forward and claimed that she'd been abducted and gang-raped by six white men (several of whom were law enforcement officials, according to her--one of those named by her committed suicide for unrelated reasons (2)), Cosby offered a $25,000 reward for information leading to the arrest. Then, it turned out it was a hoax (and Al Sharpton, among others, was at the center of the hoax--how his reputation survived that, I really don't know) believed to be done in part to avoid Tawana's being beaten by her stepfather (who had spent time in prison for shooting and stabbing his first wife to death). Assuming that still happened in TTL (I don't see anything to butterfly it away, IMO), how horrible is Cosby's involvement going to look in hindsight in TTL given Cosby's earlier exposure.

(1) Carly Simon has admitted that the second verse of the song "You're So Vain" was about Beatty in OTL (the other verses are about other men, IIRC)--but Beatty, according to her, thought the whole song was about him!!!
(2) Brawley's supporters claimed that the dead officer had been murdered to cover up Tawana's alleged abduction-rape (I am not making this up--there are still videos online claiming this is the truth) and some people still think it really happened to this day (Spike Lee even had graffiti saying Tawana Told The Truth in his movie Do The Right Thing)...

Hmm... Clinton is out, Gore, Harkin, Brown, Tsongas, Kerrey, and maybe Cuomo for the Democrats. No idea on VP.

Bush will beat Buchanan but the issue is his running mange. Even if Quayle doesn’t speak about moral degradation after the LA riots because they have been butterflied, Quayle will likely find some new way to embarrass Bush. He never recovered from Lloyd Bentsen’s “Sir, you’re no Jack Kennedy” barb. I think he’ll get dumped.

And of course there are his gaffes....

Hawaii has always been a very pivotal role in the Pacific. It is in the Pacific. It is a part of the United States that is an island that is right here.”

“We are ready for any unforeseen event that may or may not occur.”

“The future will be better tomorrow.”

“You all look like happy campers to me. Happy campers you are, happy campers you have been, and, as far as I am concerned, happy campers you will always be.”

And that is a small sample from the Wikiquotes page.

But by god who knows what dumb things Quayle will say in this timeline?

And as with our 1992 I wonder if H. Ross Perot will run?

"Mars is essentially in the same orbit... Mars is somewhat the same distance from the Sun, which is very important. We have seen pictures where there are canals, we believe, and water. If there is water, that means there is oxygen. If oxygen, that means we can breathe."

"The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history. I mean in this century's history. But we all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century."

"I believe we are on an irreversible trend toward more freedom and democracy - but that could change."

"One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared'."

"We don't want to go back to tomorrow, we want to go forward."

"We have a firm commitment to NATO, we are a *part* of NATO. We have a firm commitment to Europe. We are a *part* of Europe."

---

At least the Bush Administration won't be nominating Rick "Oops" Perry this early...

Status
Not open for further replies.