Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean it’s what Walt would have wanted in some regard and I think it shows the end of the Cold War, it could be used to get money for Russia from the west.
The problem is that EPCOT's sponsorship model means the Sovereign Union has to fit the bill for their own pavilion, which could be a huge problem if their economy goes into the gutter like OTL. Luckily, I don't think this will be the case since the USS is facing a smoother transition towards the market economy compared to Russia.

You do the Russian flag with a circle of nine yellow stars.
No, that still falls into the issue with Russia viewed as being predominant within the Sovereign Union, which won't sit well with the other Republics.

If they make. USS pavilion imagine the performances?
For me, I generally prefer if Disney makes it about Russia instead of the Sovereign Union itself since the cultural focus and detail will be far more pronounced, but it's very much possible that they could expand it to mean the USS itself due to pressure from prominent politicians within the Union, so that means it would also include Ukrainian, Azeri, Kazakh, and other cultures in the pavilion in some manner (maybe restaurants, gift shops, or even a ride about the diverse cultures of the Sovereign Union).

The upcoming Food and Wine festival should be a great opportunity for the USS to showcase the other Republics as well like a Ukraine booth or a Uzbek booth. I mean....I'll take what I can get as long as there's plov in Walt Disney World. Yum! :p
plovpilaf2-735x487.jpeg

Also...can we get a Yugoslavia booth as one of the openers for the Food and Wine festival? Who's with me on that?

Last edited:
I wonder what this will do to techno thrillers, some of them were really stretching for bad guys in the 90s. I recall one plot that had France and Germany going at it again.
But this isn't the old reliable Soviet Union anymore either.

Maybe lots of "hardline general tries to restore the Soviet Union" plots, since the USS will be in a better starting position than otl Russia.

The problem is that EPCOT's sponsorship model means the Sovereign Union has to fit the bill for their own pavilion, which could be a huge problem if their economy goes into the gutter like OTL. Luckily, I don't think this will be the case since the USS is facing a smoother transition towards the market economy compared to Russia.
True. At bare minimum Gorby should be allowed to visit a Disney Park. I mean it’s foolish not take the gamble for Disney and the political good will it gets for both US and USS.
For me, I generally prefer if Disney makes it about Russia instead of the Sovereign Union itself since the cultural focus remains solely on Russia, but it's very much possible that they could expand it to mean the USS itself due to pressure from prominent politicians within the Union, so that means it would also include Ukrainian, Azeri, Kazakh, and other cultures in the pavilion in some manner (maybe restaurants, gift shops, or even a ride about the diverse cultures of the Sovereign Union).

The upcoming Food and Wine festival should be a great opportunity for the USS to showcase the other Republics as well like a Ukraine booth or a Uzbek booth. I mean....I'll take what I can get as long as there's plov in Disney World. Yum! :p
plovpilaf2-735x487.jpeg
Well I am sure plenty of more liberally minded Russian Billionaires will support foreign tourism into Russia. I mean a lot of showcases are funded in part by business interests but mostly a ministry of foreign affairs or omething similar.

I can see wealthy guys doing the space tourism thing late 1990s.

I wonder what this will do to techno thrillers, some of them were really stretching for bad guys in the 90s. I recall one plot that had France and Germany going at it again.
But this isn't the old reliable Soviet Union anymore either.

Maybe lots of "hardline general tries to restore the Soviet Union" plots, since the USS will be in a better starting position than otl Russia.
Larry Bond’s Cauldron I think .

Oh yeah there were versions of that even one of the Tom Clancy named (he didn’t write them but they had his name on them) books where Russian officials want to restart the USSR. Or hell imagine a James Bond Goldeneye where hardliners try to overthrow the Russian government,

I can still see a version of this being made

Though I hope plenty of good documentaries are being made.

Last edited:
a lot of what Disney was planning for it OTL can be seen here......
Yes, it's likely that most of these things would survive in the ITTL pavilion. Considering the time between 1991 and 1993-1995, the possibility of the Russia Pavilion seems quite high, assuming Gorbachev visits WDW in 1992. A very narrow window but it can be done, IMO.

Yes, it's likely that most of these things would survive in the ITTL pavilion. Considering the time between 1991 and 1993-1995, the possibility of the Russia Pavilion seems quite high, assuming Gorbachev visits WDW in 1992. A very narrow window but it can be done, IMO.
I think it’d be cool.

Also adding Vodka to the “drinking around the world challenge”

Operation Y; You have Heard of This?
Declassified: The Flipping of Robert Hanssen (Cont’d)
Post from Declassified: The Lives and Stories of Real-Life Spies, by N. Cognito

Hanssen, under the close eye of CIA keepers, continued to feed his KGB contacts with a series of carefully selected and occasionally forged CIA documents in a dead drop in Rock Creek Park. Among the documents were a trove of false contacts, which all led to deflect KGB Counterintel suspicions from NATO assets and towards hardline Soviet agents and officials. One of the documents even worked to cast suspicions towards many of KGB head Vladimir Kryuchkov’s most loyal lieutenants, not in name, but through a trail of circumstantial evidence that planted seeds of doubt and suspicion.

While the details remain classified, limited and heavily redacted FOIA documents point to growing suspicions and disorganization arising within the halls of the KGB, with rounds of finger-pointing, investigations, and counter-investigations as various KGB and GRU agents, Russian politicians, as well as Warsaw Pact politicians, began to quietly suspect each other of colluding with Western powers in an attempt to further destabilize the Warsaw Pact and the USSR or win personal concessions in the new world order. The tense atmosphere of the collapsing Soviet Bloc was fertile ground for discord and suspicion already, with many secretly suspicious that the USSR was on the verge of collapse and many undoubtedly wondering if it was time to strike a personal deal with the west now in order to reap the rewards later. And the CIA/Hanssen games were adding a powerful fuel to this already very dangerous fire.

The plan nearly exploded in the face of the CIA. As suspicions raged, a growing undercurrent of hard-core Stalinists in the government and agencies began to plot a political coup. The conspiracy was led by Vladimir Kryuchkov himself, who strongly suspecting that Gorbachev was involved in the suspected conspiracy against the State, or at the very least being unduly influenced by Yeltsin, whom many strongly suspected of being the “Asset Y” referenced in the Hanssen Papers. Kryuchkov had become increasingly paranoid that he was suspected of being Asset Y himself, and accelerated hazy plans to counter what he saw as a dangerous liberalization of the state by “reactionary fools”. He forged the self-proclaimed State Committee on the State of Emergency (GKChP), a “Gang of Eight” with the overt aim of overthrowing the Gorbachev government and installing itself as a Neo-Stalinist government, and thereby preventing what they saw as the very disintegration of the Soviet State[1].

Meanwhile, a real “Asset Y” of sorts, who self-identified as “Shurik” (named after a fictional Soviet spy parody from the 1960s) with his true name still highly classified, was reporting details to a special State Department field agent within Ambassador Jack Matlock, Jr.’s, embassy. The “real Y” as writers have since come to call him, informed Matlock’s staff on details of the planned coup, which, reportedly under the direct orders of President Bush himself, were passed along to Premier Gorbachev himself along with enough evidence to give Gorbachev and his loyalists all the ammunition that they needed to launch the Mayday Purge of 1991, which saw the GKChP and its sympathizers and co-conspirators rounded up and imprisoned in a massive sweep ironically named “Operation Y” (Операция „Ы“).

As the USSR officially ended, replaced by the fragile Union of Sovereign States (USS), Hanssen remained in his position, smugly citing himself to any who would listen as “the man who brought down the Soviet Union”. He continued to feed false information to the USS intelligence community and fed the Russian-led Federation some valuable insight into the actions of Chechen separatists and Russian crime lords.

But the “good times” wouldn’t last, for Hanssen’s ego just couldn’t cope with being a “kept asset”. In the spring of 1992, he attempted once again to contact the newly-rebranded FSB, this time believing, in his hubris, that he had what it took to be a quadruple agent, playing the CIA against itself while double-profiting from the Russians. Closely watched by his CIA handlers and FBI supervisors in ways that even he didn’t suspect, he was caught red handed in the act by a phone tap. Quickly arrested, Hanssen pled guilty and ended up sentenced to over 50 years in a federal penitentiary, ultimately commuted down to 35 for his “cooperation”.

“Hanssen ultimately fell victim to his own ego,” said Special Agent Debra Evans. “He’d escaped detection for a full decade, only to be caught when he got sloppy, and rather than get his justice then and there, well,” she shrugged, “I guess that we got a few good years of real service from him before his big ego wrote a check that his limited mind could never hope to cash.”

[1] In our timeline, unopposed and hyper-organized, the GKChP successfully launched their coup in order to “save” the USSR, but this backfired spectacularly, leading to grassroots uprising in opposition to the coup, which made Boris Yeltsin into a folk hero and hastened the collapse of the Soviet Union. Thus, the coup ultimately (and ironically) led, in self-fulfilling prophesy, to the very disintegration of the Soviet Union that the conspirators had sought to prevent.

While its hard to credit the end of the USSR just to Hanssen it seems his 'work' and that of his handlers did play a part. I am glad this plot element and the 'purge' so nicely tied together, great writing there @Geekhis Khan

Using a fictional spy name in the real spy game- lovely.

Congratz to Agent Evans for finally getting her mark behind bars too.

Wonder what Hanssen will do when he gets out in 2027? Perhaps his ego will finally be tamed?

It'll probably be still colloquially referred to as the USSR, but it'll be an abbreviation of "United Sovereign States of Russia" or somesuch.
United soverign states of russian should like a the Russian ultranationlist Party would support .Gorbacjov was a multiculist so I doubt he would like that. How I see the member of the Union of Sovereign States being called Union Soverign States so the USSR could refer to the Union Sovergin state of Russia.. Ps I hope that putin won't come to power or if he dose I hope he will be impeached before his term is done. If he come to power and his impeached I would like him to come to power later then otl so the USS will have more time to soildfie it democracy

Union of Sovereign States in Russian (romanized) is Soyuz Suverennykh Gosudarstv or CCG

I can see western press either calling it Russia or the CCG to avoid confusion with US.

I can see western press either calling it Russia or the CCG to avoid confusion with US.
That's likely, but I doubt it'll take precedence over the Sovereign Union or the SU (which I think is different enough compared to the United States or the US) among intellectual circles and mainstream media.

I can see people get seriously wasted after drinking at the Russia/SU Pavilion. After the inclusion of these new pavilions, the challenge will definitely be harder to complete ITTL compared to OTL (Israeli arak, Norwegian beer, Spanish wine, and Russian vodka among others...).

Although, I'm far more excited about the possibility of bringing kvass or kompot into the states. Ironically, Russian cuisine would be well suited to the summer climate of WDW since they offer cold soups, salads, and chilled beverages.

That's likely, but I doubt it'll take precedence over the Sovereign Union or the SU (which I think is different enough compared to the United States or the US) among intellectual circles and mainstream media.
It could. USS makes it sound like an American ship, so Sovereign Union will probably be what they call it.
I can see people get seriously wasted after drinking at the Russia/SU Pavilion. After the inclusion of these new pavilions, the challenge will definitely be harder to complete ITTL compared to OTL (Israeli arak, Norwegian beer, Spanish wine, and Russian vodka among others...).

Although, I'm far more excited about the possibility of bringing kvass or kompot into the states. Ironically, Russian cuisine would be well suited to the summer climate of WDW since they offer cold soups, salads, and chilled beverages.
Never underestimate sake either, I could see Disney Security having to implement procedures to deal with super drunks at the park. The park may enact new policy after wards to ensure such things don’t happen to quick.
Just because his sentence was commuted to 35 years doesn't mean he'll serve all that time.
If he lives that long. He’ll be 83 in 2027.

Never underestimate sake either, I could see Disney Security having to implement procedures to deal with super drunks at the park. The park may enact new policy after wards to ensure such things don’t happen to quick.
Or for better worse, Disney decides to drop the wine part entirely just to be sure.

One of OTL EuroDisney’s many problems upon opening was that they decided to not serve wine. IN FRANCE. You can understand how well that was received. They fixed that lickety-split.

Vodka isn't the only alcohol in Russia, so better to go for another option for less alcohol content.

Why is Operation Y called a spy parody, it seems more everyman.

I wonder if anyone in the U.S. would be interested in doing a remake, might make a nice cheap star vehicle for somebody.
Though I might want to split the last story in two, separate the babysitting the the robbery plot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.