Status
Not open for further replies.
"So once again Spider-Man is getting rebooted. Go figure." - said in 2012

So if Spider-Man on film gets rebooted when does it happen do we think?

1993’s Spider-Man 2
1995’s Spider-Man 3

There does not seem to have been a Spider-Man 4 so a 2000's reboot, maybe?
Looks like it. I guess even ITTL Spider-Man is destined to constantly get rebooted.

"So once again Spider-Man is getting rebooted. Go figure." - said in 2012

So if Spider-Man on film gets rebooted when does it happen do we think?

1993’s Spider-Man 2
1995’s Spider-Man 3

There does not seem to have been a Spider-Man 4 so a 2000's reboot, maybe?
Or maybe the reboot occurs in 2012 like the update says.

Do any dolphin pods live around the area? I know some stay in California year round, but this is a major port.
Maybe find a friendly pod and take visitors to them.

Will the Spruce Goose be flown? On one hand it's only had one test flight before, on the other it would be a great opportunity to collect stock footage.
With good measurements from the restorations I wonder if we'll be seeing set designs based on Mary and the Goose.
Google says there's plenty of locals off Long Beach, and it's in the middle of most whale migration routes. Should be worth Disney's while to start a yacht tour.
WordPort will have plenty of charter boat options, including Whale Watches and Dolphin/Seal encounters.

Spruce goose will not be flown, alas. There's a reason it only flew once, and that may have been an accident. It's the King of Awesome but Impractical, 1940's addition.

This is totally head-canon based on reading the post just now, but I'd like to think this first glimpse of Octavius' multi-arm rig is a lot cruder than his later octopus arms, not even mounted on his back but pedestal-mounted and operated with a waldo-rig. Enough for fans-in-the-know to point and go 'oooooh', then you get to see the new and improved version in movie 2 before Otto's tragic accident.
That makes sense, actually. Either way, it's a very primitive version. Let's say it's a backpack with waldo arms. It's only when he tries to wire them directly to his CNS that the problems happen.

Spider-Man sounds great and interesting, even being a DC guy I look forward to... other projects.
(maybe like a certain man of an iron alloy?)

Does Seth Green still do It in 1990?

R. Lee as J. Jonah is a casting match made in heaven. But a Black Norman? Wow, that's probs gonna be interpreted by some as low key racist by some here (evil black man that's arrogant gets defeated by good moral white kid); also, if like in the 2002 film Osborn took inspiration from african masks, I wonder if something like it will happen here. Wonder if the comics will adapt this part. Darkman's obviously been butterflied, so makes sense Liam could have it. Molina is apparently impervious to butterflies.

Meanwhile, you have the obscure Meteor-Man, which was made at MGM and got a Marvel comic adaptation, even featuring appearences by (you guessed it) Spider-Man. If the same thing happens here, how about Peter gets a cameo in the movie?
Similarly, I wonder how Mystery Men will fare down the road, especially with changes in attitudes towards superhero media.

Nice to see that T2 is still around.
Yes on It. Even modded the footnote.

Some will have issues on Norman's race, frankly either way.

Shouldn't Spider-Man be two words?

Is this suggesting the possibility of a 'Cinematic Universe'?

Does this mean that CGI will primarily enhance practical effects instead of completely replacing practical effects. A good example of the dichotomy of the two philosophy can be seen between the 2011 The Thing and Harbinger Down.

See above.
Yes, I was confusing him with Saul Spiderman, the Marvel accountant that the character was originally named for [citation needed]. Thanks!

On CG vs. practical, the answer is "it depends". More on that evolution upcoming.

I admit that I was surprised to learn that Seth Green was cast as the Wall Crawler, but damn, that image makes him a dead ringer for the Ditko Spidey. All they need is some brown hair dye.
It's uncanny. So much so that I wonder if Green deliberately went for that when he did It, being the Geek that he unashamedly is.

Hm. I wonder when the new Superman film will be released--my instincts say around 1993 or 1994. Anyone have any ideas of who should wear the cape this time? American Magic (Redux) cast Billy Zane in the role and I cast Brendan Fraser in Iron Age. And please, please, please, @Geekhis Khan I implore you to use Brainiac as the primary antagonist as OTL Hollywood only uses Lex Luthor or General Zod.
Find out when tomorrow! Find out who...later.

I'm more surprised that Spider-Man 3 included Norman Osborn as he was dead in the comics since 1973. That does make me wonder if the comics will resurrect him like they did OTL though I have my doubts that the much-reviled Clone Saga will unfold as badly as it did or at all.
Movie continuity =/= comics continuity.

Hmmm, if Marvel has managed to do well financially at this time, does that mean the Clone Saga does not exist?
Still kicking around ideas there. Not really a comics expert, so playing things by ear.

Sounds like a great movie series- what happened to 4 though please @Geekhis Khan?
Not if they're counting the 1991 film as a reboot. @Geekhis Khan we need a ruling.
Stay tuned! :winkytongue: 📺

Spruce goose will not be flown, alas. There's a reason it only flew once, and that may have been an accident. It's the King of Awesome but Impractical, 1940's addition.
Plenty of totally useless aircraft got flown time after time...that being said, not flying it is definitely less risky, and flying it wouldn't really add much to having it. So it's hard to see Disney putting it in the air.

Also, double-checking the Port Disney map on Wikipedia against the map posted by Geekhis earlier, it looks like it would be fairly practical to extend the monorail planned to link together the elements of the park itself up to intersect with the Blue Line; it would only require going a few blocks away from the planned route, so it wouldn't require Disney to spend that much more money. That would increase the accessibility of the park noticeably, even if it wouldn't do much for people wanting to go from Anaheim to Long Beach.

Given their current budget issues, though...

Still kicking around ideas there. Not really a comics expert, so playing things by ear.
It’s your call on what you do but the Clone Saga was originally meant to be short, but the Sales Team of Marvel (who were mostly in charge to keep the company afloat) kept getting getting the writers to push it back, leading to the whole confusion with Judas Traveler, Kaine, The Jackal and the whole Flip Flopping (including changing on the same issue) on whether Peter Parker or Ben Reilly was the clone.

Last edited:
Since it looks like it'll be popular with the military what about a small museum for the Port?
A place to display the unit patches Disney did for WW2 and pictures of the family appropriate Disney themed plane art.

This film just sounds so fantastic. The casting, special effects, and direction are just so top-notch and the box office numbers prove that. As much as I can appreciate the Sam Raimi version and the MCU's take on the character, I do want to see this film, if only to see what Seth Green would've done with Peter Parker.

Aside from movies and other types of media, I have a feeling that Disney will use Spider-Man for the theme parks as well, and we all know where it's going to go in due time... :evilsmile:

As for the reboots, I think a 2000s reboot is certainly going to happen, since CGI effect improvements might make the effects more convincing and timeless. Since the original Spider-Man trilogy references a lot from the original comics run, I wonder if the reboots will take more modern elements, and perhaps they'll skip the origin story and go straight ahead to him fighting villains like Venom?

Also, double-checking the Port Disney map on Wikipedia against the map posted by Geekhis earlier, it looks like it would be fairly practical to extend the monorail planned to link together the elements of the park itself up to intersect with the Blue Line; it would only require going a few blocks away from the planned route, so it wouldn't require Disney to spend that much more money. That would increase the accessibility of the park noticeably, even if it wouldn't do much for people wanting to go from Anaheim to Long Beach.

Given their current budget issues, though...
Maybe that could be a later addition to the park once they open Port Disney for a couple of years and there's an increased demand for accessibility from visitors.

The talk of reboots down the line makes me wonder how the 2000's will fare, since unlike IOTL the superhero boom will seem to happen in the 90's instead. Maybe this will see a superhero movie bomb hard enough in the former decade another will dominate it? How about fantasy, already prominent in ours?

Right now we're getting stuff like Invincible and The Boys.
So maybe an earlier Super boom will mean an earlier interest in indie supers, deconstructions, and stuff like that.

It’s your call on what you do but the Clone Saga was originally meant to be short, but the Sales Team of Marvel (who were mostly in charge to keep the company afloat) kept getting getting the writers to push it back, leading to the whole confusion with Judas Traveler, Kaine, The Jackal and the whole Flip Flopping (including changing on the same issue) on whether Peter Parker or Ben Reilly was the clone.

Yeah in OTL this was case partly fuelled by the a) Speculator boom b) Peralman and his minions ringing Marvel for everything it had, c) Knightfall/Death of Superman coming out and Marvel 'needing' a response - none of this seems relevant to the Disney owned Marvel ITTL.

Sure, Marvel will be under pressure to succeed and produce good books, but I just don't see the gimmick covers, 'shock events', and speculator boom happening ITTL.

Yeah in OTL this was case partly fuelled by the a) Speculator boom b) Peralman and his minions ringing Marvel for everything it had, c) Knightfall/Death of Superman coming out and Marvel 'needing' a response - none of this seems relevant to the Disney owned Marvel ITTL.

Sure, Marvel will be under pressure to succeed and produce good books, but I just don't see the gimmick covers, 'shock events', and speculator boom happening ITTL.
God I hope not. My interest was more towards Tintin at the time, but I’ve seen SFDebris’ videos on the comics crash, and that was a nightmare I’d rather not repeat.

God I hope not. My interest was more towards Tintin at the time, but I’ve seen SFDebris’ videos on the comics crash, and that was a nightmare I’d rather not repeat.
Yeah, thinking about it some more, everything that caused major issues with the Spider-Man 90’s Clone Saga have been butterflied, assuming the Clone Saga is still pitched ITTL of course. Spider-Man having a film could certainly have a effect on that happening or not after all.

ITTL Mayday actually being born and Peter getting to be a father in the comics (assuming Marvel execs don’t chicken out at the last minute), and Ben Reilly truly taking over as Spider-Man for a few more years, will certainly be interesting.

Sooooooo many butterflies for Marvel, DC and Superheroes in general ITTL that I think we have little chance of repeating the 90's crash here- though it is @Geekhis Khan's
world.

It is not impossible that the success of the 90's comic movies creates a speculator bubble for the older books, which spreads to the 'hot' new books - esp the books made by folk like Larsen, Leifeld, Valentino, Lee, Silvesti, and McFarlane leading to Image forming later, say in 1995 - then as Image's release schedules slip again and again it erodes the confidence in the comics market and causing the bubble to pop - lets say after ITTL's version of Batman & Robin which tanks the Superhero Movie market and nearly takes the comic books with it. As least without Peralman's venture capital tricks Marvel won't go bankrupt ITTL.

lets say after ITTL's version of Batman & Robin
I doubt something like B&R will happen ITTL since Burton not being involved with the franchise means it's indirectly butterflied - since after all Forever and B&R only came about OTL because of the controversial fustercluck that was WB's marketing campaign for Batman Returns.

Status
Not open for further replies.