Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, this TL really makes me love Disney for some reason, even though I'm actually super critical of them OTL. Funny how a change of leadership works out for the company , for I have truly become enamored by the Disney magic! :p

It's still a shame that Jim Henson doesn't host this show regularly, but Roy Disney is a great replacement, perhaps the only one out of the top execs made for the job. He is Roy's son and Walt's nephew, so the family legacy is important when it comes to him hosting. Plus, we got even more Disney relatives like Tim carrying the torch in the 2000s, so the show is likely to not fade away unlike OTL. Hopefully, it'll be on Disney Direct as one of their premier shows, maybe bringing light to new TV/film animation or even the inner workings of some new attraction.
Leadership can certainly make a difference. It's not the full story (the word is full of great leaders unable to inspire those with no craps to give) but it can make a major difference for sure. Jim's biggest impact in this respect was a) leading by example and b) promoting and retaining likeminded people. His intolerance for abusive managers also made a difference (He'd never have tolerated what happened to Wayne Brady iOTL).

YES! WE FUCKING DID IT!
It's just those little things that make the Magic Kingdom just a little bit more perfect. And just in time for WDW's 50th Anniversary OTL. Ugh, this makes it more special, even if it was a coincidence.
Hat tip again. It was your idea an I loved it.

So after watching 1995's Casper, I'm wondering how it goes. Given how Harvey and by extension Casper are owned by Disney ITTL, and OTL was produced by an Amblin/Spielberg, here being frequent collab with Disney, I cam safely say its gonna be a Disney film ITTL, eh Geekhis?
I've been thinking about Casper for exactly those reasons.

So a market cap of 13Bn, not bad. Can anyone find historical data to compare? I looked but could only find data from the early 2000s.
The historical stock price is pretty easy to dig up online, but finding the yearly expenses-revenues-profits from the '80s and '90s was a bit of a challenge, but they're out there. Basically, Disney is 2-3 years "ahead" of OTL in terms of stock value, thanks largely to Jim kickstarting the Disney Renaissance three years earlier and making The Disney Channel more successful earlier. The growth curve is about the same as OTL, just shifted 2-3 years, though the huge growth through the '80s has begun to plateau in 1990/91.

$13B in market cap (words whose meaning I didn't know before starting this TL!) seems pretty fair given the value of the parks and studios at the moment, including both that which is built and that which is under construction, so I'd say that Disney is "properly valued" at $13B.

One problem I have with this timeline is that I’m still trying to get all caught up. Problem with coming in late I suppos.
Take your time, Bbone! We'll be here when you catch up.

Noooo! Not more Atlanta Traffic! Genuinely going to feel bad for my Alt!Cousins once they are born.
Well, look on the bright side: Atlanta might get decent public transit at this rate.
Atlanta traffic will actually come up. Growing city = growing traffic, but it also = growing tax revenues, so depending on the political landscape light rail may be an option.

Of course even iTTL LA, NYC, and DC commuters are saying "cry me a river".

Q: When is the best time to drive in DC?
A: Never.

Now, Sid! Don't blame the movies, movies don't make psychos! Movies make psychos more creative!
That quote was actually the other way around, always another psycho out there to inspire a movie. And movies inspire more creative psychos which inspire more movies in a lovely little feedback loop. Of course as the guy coming up with the ATL Psychos and terrorists and criminals I'm reminded of that opening quote from Castle: "Two types of people sit around coming up with creative ways to kill people. I'm the kind that pays better." Not that I'm getting paid for this TL, of course. Labor of love.

Noooo! Not more Atlanta Traffic! Genuinely going to feel bad for my Alt!Cousins once they are born.
All the more reason to get a proper light metro network - with only four heavy rail lines and a crappy streetcar, of course traffic's going to hurt.
Atlanta traffic will actually come up. Growing city = growing traffic, but it also = growing tax revenues, so depending on the political landscape light rail may be an option.

Yeah, same issue affects Toronto and its Construction season. I can empathise.

I'm not much of a transportation expert, but I love subway and metro trains, so I can't wait to see how an Atlanta Metro will... fare.

Also, just a small question for @Geekhis Khan : What's the fate of Walt Disney Animation Australia?

Now IOTL it was originally a Hanna Barbara studio up until 1988 before Taft sold it to someone else, and Disney took it over after the new owners weren't interested in animation. But here, CBS scooped up Hanna-Barbara and is now a Columbia-owned studio a year prior in 1987. So I ask what happened here? Given that most of its output were the DTV sequels that have been butterflied, I'm rather curious as to what's gone on in the last four years.

Also, just a small question for @Geekhis Khan : What's the fate of Walt Disney Animation Australia?

Now IOTL it was originally a Hanna Barbara studio up until 1988 before Taft sold it to someone else, and Disney took it over after the new owners weren't interested in animation. But here, CBS scooped up Hanna-Barbara and is now a Columbia-owned studio a year prior in 1987. So I ask what happened here? Given that most of its output were the DTV sequels that have been butterflied, I'm rather curious as to what's gone on in the last four years.
I suspect that, if developments continued as per OTL, what was once Taft-Hardie Group would've become Columbia-Hardie Group or something of the sort, and then when the management buyout for the branch occured and the company was reorganized as Southern Star Group, Turner would just straight-up buy both the Sydney and Los Angeles divisions from them, with the Sydney division (and obviously the LA one) being incorporated into Hanna-Barbera directly once more and aiding in the production of some of the shows on CartoonTV (and mayhaps Turner rerunning the few live-action works the studio had made on CBS). Or, alternatively, Turner passed up on the Sydney division, encouraging Atlantic Communications Corporation to buy it up, meaning the animation division is now part of Time-Atlantic (maybe it's been split between TriStar Pictures Animation Studios and TriStar Television and became their Australian branches, or maybe just becoming TriStar Australia, assuming there aren't any companies called that there already).

Last edited:
I suspect that, if developments continued as per OTL, what was once Taft-Hardie Group would've become Columbia-Hardie Group or something of the sort, and then when the management buyout for the branch occured and the company was reorganized as Southern Star Group, Turner would just straight-up buy both the Sydney and Los Angeles divisions from them, with the Sydney division (and obviously the LA one) being incorporated into Hanna-Barbera directly once more and aiding in the production of some of the shows on CartoonTV (and mayhaps Turner rerunning the few live-action works the studio had made on CBS). Or, alternatively, Turner passed up on the Sydney division, encouraging Atlantic Communications Corporation to buy it up, meaning the animation division is now part of Time-Atlantic.
Reminds me of OTL's Adelaide Productions, formed in 1993 by Sony Pictures Television when Columbia was bought by Sony. I actually presume in the latter scenario you made, the Sydney studio and Adelaide would be under the same name.
Speaking of, I've been having an idea for a potential, wholly original series for the TL come the late 90's (well not really), but that's for another day.

Leadership can certainly make a difference. It's not the full story (the word is full of great leaders unable to inspire those with no craps to give) but it can make a major difference for sure. Jim's biggest impact in this respect was a) leading by example and b) promoting and retaining likeminded people. His intolerance for abusive managers also made a difference (He'd never have tolerated what happened to Wayne Brady iOTL).
Oh yeah, I agree that company leadership does make a huge difference in how the company functions. While I'm still a sucker for an "Eisner succeeds" scenario like a lot of people (including those who formerly worked for Disney, like Sam Carter), but damn, this timeline really shown me the way about how Henson could've changed everything for the company in a positive way. Aside from the changes in company culture and philosophy, perhaps in this TL, working for Disney (from an animator, cast member, or an Imagineer) is seen unanimously as a magical opportunity to work for the House of Mouse with Henson, Disney, and Wells all advocating for good pay and benefits of each employee?

Hat tip again. It was your idea an I loved it.
Thank you, it's much appreciated.

Yeah, as an Angeleno, the public transportation system is notoriously bad, but I'm actually more terrified of what happens to Atlanta or Orlando since they might not even use the increased revenues from tax/tourism to invest in public transportation for the city. The fact that ITTL Atlanta might unseat us as the worst city to commute would be kinda funny, but obviously not great for the people living there.

The historical stock price is pretty easy to dig up online, but finding the yearly expenses-revenues-profits from the '80s and '90s was a bit of a challenge, but they're out there. Basically, Disney is 2-3 years "ahead" of OTL in terms of stock value, thanks largely to Jim kickstarting the Disney Renaissance three years earlier and making The Disney Channel more successful earlier. The growth curve is about the same as OTL, just shifted 2-3 years, though the huge growth through the '80s has begun to plateau in 1990/91.

$13B in market cap (words whose meaning I didn't know before starting this TL!) seems pretty fair given the value of the parks and studios at the moment, including both that which is built and that which is under construction, so I'd say that Disney is "properly valued" at $13B.
So the historical stock price doesn't actually matter much since IDK how much stock was issued ITTL vs OTL.

The number I have for Disney's market cap in 2001 is 41Bn. Currently, it is at ~320Bn with an all-time high of ~360Bn

How many unused railways does Atlanta have? I'm naturally biased toward elevated rail, but failing that, light rail has to at least have its own separated ROW; bad things happen when you put it on the street with a lot of grade crossings through intersections.
Yeah, same issue affects Toronto and its Construction season. I can empathise.

I'm not much of a transportation expert, but I love subway and metro trains, so I can't wait to see how an Atlanta Metro will... fare.
On further reading, here's what they've got planned so far. Knowing almost nothing about Atlanta, it sounds like all TTL needs to do is simplify the purple and yellow lines, grade-separate everything but the green line, then TOD everything along and in-between all the train routes, and then they're in business.

Last edited:
Disney-MGM Movies 1989-1990
Pictures Released by Walt Disney Studios, 1989-1990

Release dateTitleStudio labelCo-production with
January 13, 1989Footlight Parade (re-release)MGMColumbia Pictures
February 3, 1989Gone with the Wind (re-release)MGMColumbia Pictures
February 17, 1989The BurbsHyperion PicturesImagine Entertainment, Silver Screen Partners III
March 2, 1989Bert Rigby, You're a FoolHyperion PicturesAs You Wish Entertainment, Silver Screen Partners III
March 9, 1989The Rescuers (re-release) [w/ Short Bianca’s Birthday Bash]Walt Disney PicturesSilver Screen Partners III
April 21, 1989Tiny TitansWalt Disney PicturesSilver Screen Partners III
May 5, 1989The Trouble with TrishaHyperion PicturesSilver Screen Partners III
May 19, 1989Back to the Future IIFantasia FilmsAmblin Entertainment and Silver Screen Partners III
June 2, 1989Ghostbusters II: Who You Gonna Call NowFantasia FilmsSilver Screen Partners III
June 16, 1989Affairs of StateMGMSilver Screen Partners III
July 14, 1989Best of FriendsHyperion PicturesAs You Wish Entertainment, Silver Screen Partners III
July 28, 1989The BearPrice Entertainment, Renn ProductionsDistributed in the US by Buena Vista under the Walt Disney Pictures label
August 11, 1989Honey, I Shrunk the Kids! [w/ Short Roger Rabbit: Tummy Troubles!]Walt Disney PicturesSilver Screen Partners III
August 25, 1989Kiki’s Delivery ServiceStudio GhibliDistributed in the US by Buena Vista under the Fantasia Films label
September 8, 1989Peter Pan (re-release)Walt Disney Pictures
September 22, 1989Erik the VikingProminent Features, Svensk FilmindustriDistributed in the US by Buena Vista under the Fantasia Films label
October 1, 1989Casablanca (re-release)MGMColumbia Pictures
October 20, 1989BeetlejuiceFantasia FilmsGeffen Films, Silver Screen Partners III
November 17, 1989The Jungle Book (re-release)Walt Disney Pictures
December 15, 1989The Song of SusanMGMSilver Screen Partners III
January 17, 1990The Wizard of Oz and Return to Oz (double feature re-release)MGM/Fantasia FilmsColumbia Pictures
February 2, 1990Fantasia (re-release)Walt Disney Pictures
February 23, 1990Where the Heart IsHyperion PicturesSilver Screen Partners III
March 9, 1990Joe Versus the VolcanoHyperion PicturesAmblin Entertainment, Silver Screen Partners III
March 16, 1990Oliver and the DodgerWalt Disney PicturesSilver Screen Partners III
March 30, 1990Teenage Mutant Ninja TurtlesFantasia FilmsSilver Screen Partners III
April 6, 1990Benji & Lassie [w/ Short Home Entertainment with Goofy]Walt Disney PicturesSilver Screen Partners III
April 27, 1990Lord of the FliesMGMAs You Wish Entertainment, Silver Screen Partners III
May 10, 1990MusicanaWED SignatureSilver Screen Partners III
May 25, 1990Back to the Future IIIFantasia FilmsAmblin Entertainment, Silver Screen Partners III
June 13, 1990Betsy’s WeddingHyperion PicturesSilver Screen Partners III
June 27, 1990MausWED SignatureAmblin Entertainment, Brooksfilm, As You Wish Entertainment, Silver Screen Partners III
July 11, 1990The Land Before Time 2: Cera’s Troop [w/ Short: Rollercoaster Rabbit]Fantasia FilmsAmblin Entertainment, Silver Screen Partners III
July 25, 1990Gettin’ HitchedHyperion PicturesSilver Screen Partners III
August 10, 1990Mo Betta BluesMGM40 Acres and a Mule Productions, Silver Screen Partners III
August 24, 1990Hooked!MGMAmblin Entertainment, Silver Screen Partners III
September 22, 1990Mr. DestinyFantasia FilmsSilver Screen Partners III
October 12, 1990The Black Cauldron (re-release)Walt Disney Pictures
October 28, 1990Spaced InvadersFantasia FilmsSilver Screen Partners III
November 16, 1990Mort [w/ Short Turtles All the Way Down]Walt Disney PicturesSilver Screen Partners III
December 1, 1990MiseryFantasia FilmsAs You Wish Entertainment, Silver Screen Partners III
December 15, 1990Shadow MoonMGMLucasfilm, LTD., Silver Screen Partners III

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.