Status
Not open for further replies.
On another note, I wonder how we can change Thomas And The Magic Railroad for this TL. As flawed as it is, I've always had a somewhat soft spot for it. Maybe we can trim down some of the Shining Time stuff?

So, any actors of the late 90's between ages of 13 to 15 who could pull off Anakin's character?
I got nothing specific to recommend for Episode I, though Episodes II/III are a bit easier to predict, especially when Anakin has could be aged up to be around his 20s. Maybe someone like Heath Ledger, Leonardo DiCaprio, or Paul Walker? Who knows...

On another note, I wonder how we can change Thomas And The Magic Railroad for this TL. As flawed as it is, I've always had a somewhat soft spot for it. Maybe we can trim down some of the Shining Time stuff?
I think the Shining Time series has been butterflied since Disney just airs Thomas the Tank Engine. In this case, it'd be a no-brainer for Allcroft to make this film with Disney. Heck, it could even be done under Disney Digital/Pixar, and I'd approve of it as long as the CGI closely resembles the miniatures.

What about the sports resorts? Are they similar to the All-Star Sports resort in terms of theming? I mean, I did say that I'd hate it but it would be a reasonable choice if Disney went in that direction for a cheaper hotel compared to something like the Grand Floridian or the Ryokan Yorokobi Inn.
[looks up the All Star Sports Resort] Egads. Kitchzilla Lives. Yet more proof that Eisner just loved Postmodern Design without really understanding it. Baudrillard is crying somewhere, chain-smoking unfiltered Gauloise.

In the spirit of actual postmodern architecture I'm imagining that Wing Chao and team could come up with something resembling a sports stadium with a central courtyard with real grass to kick around a ball or play catch, perhaps a putting green and some courts.

I think everyone would agree that Anakin should be comparable in age to Padme in Episode I.
Technically she was 14 and he was 9, so actually a smaller age difference than my wife and I have. Still, quite a lot changes between 9 and 14, obviously. Not to mention that Natalie Portman was 16 and Jake Lloyd 8 during filming, which further exacerbated it.

I think the Shining Time series has been butterflied since Disney just airs Thomas the Tank Engine. In this case, it'd be a no-brainer for Allcroft to make this film with Disney. Heck, it could even be done under Disney Digital/Pixar, and I'd approve of it as long as the CGI closely resembles the miniatures.
Yea, Thomas has been distributed in the US by Disney. There was a Thomas's World Tour film too. Shining Time likely doesn't exist ITTL unless someone gives me a reason why it would.

Leo seems like a good alternative to Hayden, though, he may or may not be pre occupied with Spider-Man if it's ever made ITTL that is.
Leo was offered the role IOTL and turned it down, IIRC. He specifically didn't want to be "the blockbuster guy".

Yea, Thomas has been distributed in the US by Disney. There was a Thomas's World Tour film too. Shining Time likely doesn't exist ITTL unless someone gives me a reason why it would.
Maybe we can use the name of Shining Time Station as a place to get free air conditioning at the Thomas areas at the Disney Parks? Perhaps even with a Walt Disney dummy to go along with it?

Sure, the series that is named Shining Time Station IOTL wouldn't exist, as would the subplots in The Magic Railroad likely enough, but at least said name would still be affiliated with both Thomas and Disney without making the hardcore fanbase shudder or grit their teeth out at the mere mention of it.

[looks up the All Star Sports Resort] Egads. Kitchzilla Lives. Yet more proof that Eisner just loved Postmodern Design without really understanding it. Baudrillard is crying somewhere, chain-smoking unfiltered Gauloise.

In the spirit of actual postmodern architecture I'm imagining that Wing Chao and team could come up with something resembling a sports stadium with a central courtyard with real grass to kick around a ball or play catch, perhaps a putting green and some courts.
Yeah, those value resorts are a bit yikes in terms of theming, which is why I asked.

As for that Stadium Hotel idea, I love it. An elliptical hotel with a central courtyard (maybe a swimming pool too) sounds fantastic, though I doubt it'll end up being a "value" type of hotel with the theming and the possible size of this thing (probably one of the largest hotels Disney could reasonably construct if they want a moderately sized central courtyard). Maybe it would be a "moderate" type hotel to take account of the large capacity and space of the building while maximizing the potential profit from their customers.
What would it even be called anyways?

I think Jim could push for value-type resorts out of concern for lower income families, but I guess Imagineering could look towards the Disneyland Hotel for inspiration, where the theming is mostly in the interior instead of the exterior (like the All Star Sports Resort OTL). Cheap but not tacky.

Technically she was 14 and he was 9, so actually a smaller age difference than my wife and I have. Still, quite a lot changes between 9 and 14, obviously. Not to mention that Natalie Portman was 16 and Jake Lloyd 8 during filming, which further exacerbated it.
Mhm, it's just strange that a child would harbor a huge crush on an obviously older girl. Maybe an older Anniken would make the relationship more believable since they now have 3 films to develop that relationship instead of 2 and the age gap is a bit more believable.

Maybe we can use the name of Shining Time Station as a place to get free air conditioning at the Thomas areas at the Disney Parks? Perhaps even with a Walt Disney dummy to go along with it?
I'm now imagining a pavilion in the Thomas area where it's just a giant OO-grade model train set of Sodor Island and everything that goes on there. I'm sure it's been done OTL, but having it as a fixture you can walk around (or poke your head up within) at Disneyland like Hamburg's Miniatur Wunderland would be neat.
Disney contributing to maintaining the scale-model hobby in the US would be a neat butterfly.

I presume so, but I think this crush was very much one sided for Episode I. The relationship between Anakin and Padme was hardly platonic, imo, but didn't escalate towards a full-on romance until Episode II for obvious reasons.
One question I have is why are we increasing Anakin's age but not reducing Padme's. I think splitting Padme into two separate characters could work, one as a younger Padme and at least for the first film the other one being an older sibling is killed near the end of the film. Just a thought.

One question I have is why are we increasing Anakin's age but not reducing Padme's. I think splitting Padme into two separate characters could work, one as a younger Padme and at least for the first film the other one being an older sibling is killed near the end of the film. Just a thought.
Mainly because if both of their ages were around the same, then that means they could actually have a romance subplot for Episode I, making their relationship a lot more believable and organic. Plus having a teenage Anakin would also carry more weight towards his acceptance of becoming a Jedi in the first place, regardless of whether he's the Chosen One or not.

Transitioning to 3D is inevitable - even with a computer, it's much easier to pose and animate an existing model than to hand-draw from scratch.
Disney 2D's probable future is backing up 3D with extra comp , and/or making 3D movies that look like 2D (e.g. Spiderverse, Paperman, The Dragon Prince).

Last edited:
There’s this whole cut thing with a truly terrifying villain (forget his name) that was cut by the execs.; predictably neutering the whole damn film. If development on the film is anything close to canon maybe we could keep him?

Speaking of said film, is Mara Wilson going to come up ITTL? Even if she quits filmmaking like IOTL (and note she’s passionate about writing later in life) I’d like to know if she does anything interesting here. I also love Mrs. Doubtfire and Mathilda, so I wonder if either will be made (…under Disney! You also know that Jim’ll support keeping the Hillards divorced like Columbus, Field and Williams did!)
So, any actors of the late 90's between ages of 13 to 15 who could pull off Anakin's character?
I got nothing specific to recommend for Episode I, though Episodes II/III are a bit easier to predict, especially when Anakin has could be aged up to be around his 20s. Maybe someone like Heath Ledger, Leonardo DiCaprio, or Paul Walker? Who knows...
Leo seems like a good alternative to Hayden, though, he may or may not be pre occupied with Spider-Man if it's ever made ITTL that is.
Mhm, it's just strange that a child would harbor a huge crush on an obviously older girl. Maybe an older Anniken would make the relationship more believable since they now have 3 films to develop that relationship instead of 2 and the age gap is a bit more believable.
I presume so, but I think this crush was very much one sided for Episode I. The relationship between Anakin and Padme was hardly platonic, imo, but didn't escalate towards a full-on romance until Episode II for obvious reasons.
Mainly because if both of their ages were around the same, then that means they could actually have a romance subplot for Episode I, making their relationship a lot more believable and organic. Plus having a teenage Anakin would also carry more weight towards his acceptance of becoming a Jedi in the first place, regardless of whether he's the Chosen One or not.
Y’know, I just had a daring thought… What if, after the 1999 release of the first prequel (with a…say, 12-ish Anniken and 14-16 year old Padme? Roundabouts, anyway), George does NOT start work on the next film, set for 2002, yet? Instead, to keep the actors and give them time to grow up (assuming they aren’t treated like poor Jake Lloyd was), he put the two remaining films on the back burner and works on another project in the interim. Like maybe Dinotopia? Or hell, have him (or I dunno, Lisa Henson) start work on the Sequel Trilogy; maybe we can do something as bonkers as the ST releasing in the 2000s and the remaining PT films (with now 20-something actors) release in the early 2010s…

Okay, I admit the latter thread is a bit too bonkers for plausibility. But having Dinotopia be adapted during that time isn’t completely mad. Especially if Episodes II & III are filmed back-to-back or something to release a year apart (don’t recommend this though, SW being an event that isn’t every year is part of why it worked, and why the ST was a mess IOTL).

Anyway, there’s my running thoughts done. Either way, George Lucas NOT succumbing to the madness that is making Anniken even younger that originally planned is by itself promising, hope it actually happens that way).

All sounds compelling, and as usual Eisner not understanding why things were neat to begin with.
How Lucas thought this wouldn’t backfire on him is beyond reason. The fact that Portman (as a Padme meant to be mid-to-later-20s) stuck around with a clearly-older Christensen as Anakin just added to the awkwardness of the romance as a whole.

Leo was offered the role IOTL and turned it down, IIRC. He specifically didn't want to be "the blockbuster guy".
Leonardo Di Caprio is that rare actor who pretty much completely avoids any truly bad projects, and always gives his all (well, for better or worse as Romeo X Juliet can attest), so being wise enough to avoid this is par for the course with him.
Transitioning to 3D is inevitable - even with a computer, it's much easier to pose and animate an existing model than to hand-draw from scratch.
Disney 2D's probable future is backing up 3D with extra comp , and/or making 3D movies that look like 2D (e.g. Spiderverse, Paperman, The Dragon Prince).
Just save the US animated film industry’s 2D style, and I’d forgive if we somehow saw WWIII in this TL.

I doubt Henson, Bluth, or Roy will be as adamant in giving up on 2D animation as easy as Eisner or Iger. If there's people that can save Western theatrical 2D animation, it will most likely be the combination of all those men.

Y’know, I just had a daring thought… What if, after the 1999 release of the first prequel (with a…say, 12-ish Anniken and 14-16 year old Padme? Roundabouts, anyway), George does NOT start work on the next film, set for 2002, yet? Instead, to keep the actors and give them time to grow up (assuming they aren’t treated like poor Jake Lloyd was), he put the two remaining films on the back burner and works on another project in the interim. Like maybe Dinotopia? Or hell, have him (or I dunno, Lisa Henson) start work on the Sequel Trilogy; maybe we can do something as bonkers as the ST releasing in the 2000s and the remaining PT films (with now 20-something actors) release in the early 2010s…

Okay, I admit the latter thread is a bit too bonkers for plausibility. But having Dinotopia be adapted during that time isn’t completely mad. Especially if Episodes II & III are filmed back-to-back or something to release a year apart (don’t recommend this though, SW being an event that isn’t every year is part of why it worked, and why the ST was a mess IOTL).

Anyway, there’s my running thoughts done. Either way, George Lucas NOT succumbing to the madness that is making Anniken even younger that originally planned is by itself promising, hope it actually happens that way).
Eh, I actually don't want Dinotopia being adapted for the 2000s, since he wouldn't be able to take advantage of the dinosaur wave that emerged out of JP in the mid 90s. Plus, if he's less involved in the Prequels (most likely an executive producer), then that probably justifies him doing this film with full creative control. I pray for his success if he does try and adapt Dinotopia.

As for the Sequels, no. Lucasfilm would snuff out post-ROTJ content in the EU if George Lucas had the intentions of making the story for the sequels now, which is bad since the EU really took off by the 90s and 2000s. Sure you might butterfly away Dark Empire, but you also run the risk of destroying the Thrawn Trilogy, NJO, and Tales of the Jedi. I'm not willing to take those chances. Luckily this isn't the case, as the Prequels are coming out first.

When it comes to back-to-back SW....George Lucas still controls Lucasfilm and the Star Wars property. Even if Star Wars is owned by Disney, I seriously doubt Henson is going to fall into the same trap that Iger did for SW (I think his release strategy for the Sequel era came as a result from the success of the MCU and the deluge of content they had planned).

Better Assimilate than Never
Locutus of Borg?!?
Archived Posts from alt.startrek discussion forum, 1990

[June 18th, 1990; 8:47 PM EDT]

TrekNerd420: OMYGODOMYGODOMYGOD!!! Are you watching TNG tonight?!?! Locutus of fukin’ Borg?!?!?

DATA-LORE_04
[1]: Yes, OMG indeed! Captain Jean-Luc Picard has been assimilated! This is huge.

Tribble-Trubble: WOW!!! I so didn’t see that coming!

M.Knight: TWIST!!

[“TashaYardBird” has entered the discussion]

VulcanLogic_001: A logical direction for the writers to take it.

BonesMD: logical? your out of your vulcin mind. this is a hail mary. the show must be in reel truble. i smell a cancilation

Tribble-Trubble: Shut up, Bones! Don’t even joke about that!

TashaYardBird: I hope that Picard can be saved!

[June 18th, 1990; 8:56 PM EDT]

KHAAAANNNN: Yes! The big showdown! Locutus vs. Riker!

[“A.Lurker” has entered the discussion]

DATA-LORE_04: Data and Geordi are technobabbling up a weapon!

TrekNerd420: Think it’ll work?

BonesMD: finally a wepon that can kill a borg cube!1!

VulcanLogic_001: Logically it should fail.

Tribble-Trubble: I can’t watch!!

[June 18th, 1990; 8:59 PM EDT]

[“PahkDahKahless” has entered the discussion]

TashaYardBird: Oh hell, they’re going to kill Picard just like they killed Troi!

VulcanLogic_001: Don’t be emotional. Logically they would never kill a lead character like Picard.

BonesMD: dont bee so shure u green blooded hobgoblin. patrik bauchau is in contract negotiations with paramount i here

TashaYardBird: OMG did you just tell me to not be emotional, VL?? Sexist much??

BonesMD: yea sexest much vulcin lol

BonesMD: u need to treet the broads better rofl

TashaYardBird: Shut up, Bones!

[June 18th, 1990; 9:02 PM EDT]

TrekNerd420: SHIT!! Cliffhanger!!! Bastards!!!

[“Leslie?CrushHer!” has entered the discussion]

Tribble-Trubble: Oh shit this is bad! They’re going to kill Picard!

Leslie?CrushHer!: good. picard sucks. rikers cleerly suposed to be the captin like rodinbery wanted.

TashaYardBird: So much no: he’s too much like Kirk!

KHAAAANNNN: hey, I like Kirk!

TashaYardBird: Me too, but I like that Picard is different.

[“A.Lurker” has left the discussion]

VulcanLogic_001: Logically they would not kill Picard.

BonesMD: oh shuve yer logic greenblood

[June 19th, 1990; 10:01 AM EDT]

[“StaticKlingon69” has entered the discussion]

StaticKlingon69: Yes, I saw this. It is epic. By Kahless and Bounce Fabric Sheets I shall see this plot through to the end.

PahkDahKahless: wikked right there brothah. Count me in. Settin my disruptah to wikkid scortchah!

TashaYardBird: You seriously type in a Southee accent?

PahkDahKahless: yer damn tootin’, babe.

[...]

[July 17th, 1990; 3:21 AM EDT]

[a new member has joined the alt.usenet.startrek forum]

reelhumanuser00214: hey i totly agre with the last poster and hey did you no you can get more lenth and stamina with tibetan dried frog pills? Go to [link deleted by ModGodIan July 17th, 1990; 4:07 AM EDT] and amaze ur girlfrend!

[post flagged by Data-Lore_04 July 17th, 1990; 3:57 AM EDT]

[“reelhumanuser02144” has been banned by ModGodIan July 17th, 1990; 4:02 AM EDT]

[...]

[August 25th, 1990; 8:58 PM EDT]

BonesMD: news flash biches. patrik bauchau just anounsed plans to star in at play in the filds of the lord
[2]. they r so gunna kill picard you basterds

TashaYardBird: NO FREKAING WAY

Leslie?CrushHer!: YES!!11! DIE FRENCH ******!1!! KILL LESLIE NEXT!!1!

TashaYardBird: Nazi.

VulcanLogic_001: This means nothing. There’s time for him to play both characters. The shooting schedules will be adjusted. It’s only logical.

BonesMD: whuts logical is u lerning to admit yer wrong 4 once hobgoblin

[August 25th, 1990; 9:22 PM EDT]

[...]

[September 23rd, 1990; 8:18 PM EDT]

TrekNerd_420: One more day!

StaticKlingon69: By the sock-covered, frizzle-haired warriors of Chronos I yearn for this day!

Leslie?CrushHer!: yea picard dies tomoro. helo captin riker!!1!1

TashaYardBird: No way, Jose.

[September 24th, 1990; 7:47 PM EDT]

TrekNerd420: ALMOST HERE!! Ten minutes to showtime!

[“WorfsBlade666” has entered the discussion]

Tribble-Trubble: Oh, I’m scared!

VulcanLogic_001: Don’t be. Picard will live. It is only logical.

[“Kilkenny” has entered the discussion]

[“Spocks_Brain” has entered the discussion]

[“Shaka_Sulu” has entered the discussion]

[September 24th, 1990; 8:07 PM EDT]

BonesMD: BAM!!!!1 RITE OUT OF THE FUKIN GATE!!1!! TOLD YA FUKERS!!111

Kilkenny: Oh my god, they killed Picard!!! You bastards!!!!

Tribble-Trubble: NNNOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

TrekNerd420: HOLY SHIT, THEY DID IT!!!

PahkDahKahless: wikkid crazy!!

Shaka_Sulu: oh my.

Leslie?CrushHer!: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAAHA!!!! FRENCH FRIED FROG LEGS!!1!!

TashaYardBird: Racist bastard!

Tribble-Trubble: I’m going to cry....

BonesMD: explain that logic vulcin!!

VulcanLogic_001: Fascinating. Highly illogical, but fascinating.

Spocks_Brain: Humans are emotional. Emotion pulls in viewers. Viewers bring money, which is important to humans. Eminently logical. Just as it is eminently logical to conclude that LeslieCrushHer is a sock puppet for BonesMD.

VulcanLogic_001: Yes, quite logical when you look at it, Ambassador’s Brain.

BonesMD: hey im not a sock pupit for bonesmd you ******* im my own person

DATA-LORE_04: BonesMD, your sock is showing.

[September 24th, 1990; 8:18 PM EDT]

[“ImNotHerbert” has entered the discussion]

ImNotHerbert: OK, they managed to blow up the one Borg ship into pieces, but now there are three more.

WorfsBlade666: Yes, a battle royale!

StaticKlingon69: They shall engage in glorious and wrinkly-shirted sparking battle.

Tribble-Trubble: Oh, the Borg ships have adapted to the dish weapon! this is going to get bad!

TashaYardBird: They just cut off the Enterprise’s engines!

[“BORG_Unit_004194” has entered the discussion]

BORG_Unit_004194: RESISTANCE IS FUTILE. THE ENTERPRISE WILL BE ASSIMILATED.

[“BORG_Unit_004194” has left the discussion]

[September 24th, 1990; 8:37 PM EDT]

TrekNerd420: Ok, Data and Georgi are aboard the lead Borg ship now.

VulcanLogic_001: Fascinating, an attempt to hack the collective. A logical choice.

[September 24th, 1990; 8:51 PM EDT]

ImNotHerbert: Wait, Picard’s exact last words: “The Borg shall not sleep until you are assimilated.”

TashaYardBird: Yes! Sleep!

BonesMD: wait they jus put them al to slepe?!?11?/1/? Lame

Tribble-Trubble: Hey I thought it was clever!

PahkDahKahless: nah, fer once I agree wit BoneHead: I wanted a wikkid big kaboom!

Tribble-Trubble: Well, they’d better get the engines back on and get out of there before the rest of the Borg fleet arrives or you’ll get your kaboom, Pahky. No way that trick will work twice with the Borg!

[September 24th, 1990; 8:57 PM EDT]

TrekNerd420: Aaannndd they’re gone! Escaped by warp!

DATA-LORE_04: the star fleet equivalent of duct tape and baling wire, but Geordi did it.

KHAAAANNNN: I guess it’ll be Captain Riker from this point forward.

Leslie?CrushHer!: yes!!!11!

BonesMD: caled it

Leslie?CrushHer!: u the man bonesmd

ImNotHerbert: You’re not fooling anyone, Bones/Lesie.

TashaYardBird: Rest in peace, Jean-Luc!

Tribble-Trubble: Wait, ther’s more!!

VulcanLogic_001: Picard was ejected from the cube and rescued by the Borg. Fascinating.

TashaYardBird: Picard’s not dead!!!

M.Knight: TWIST!!!

TashaYardBird: But why just save Picard?

Spocks_Brain: Logically because his knowledge of humanity hadn’t yet been integrated into the entire collective. Now his currently-unique knowledge can continue to aid the Collective.

Tribble-Trubble: Wait, so Picard is a villain now?

ImNotHerbert: Damn, a recurring villain!!!

BonesMD: ok even i can dig this

[September 24th, 1990; 9:09 PM EDT]

SpocksBrain: Logical. Bauchau can do his movie and still make Trek appearances.

TashaYardBird: *still adjusting to this*

Tribble-Trubble: Does this mean that there’s a chance to save Picard later?

Leslie?CrushHer!: of coarse not, he was asimilated

[a new member has just joined the alt.usenet.startrek forum]

Locutus_of_Cincinnati: PICARD IS DEAD; THERE IS ONLY LOCUTUS.....

[1] Lore in this case being a female Android (played by Hallie Todd) as originally intended. In our timeline Brent Spiner suggested the “evil twin” angle and the original Lore idea was repurposed into Lal.

[2] This film, to be precise. He plays the Aiden Quinn role.

Last edited:
“By the sock-covered, frizzle-haired warriors of Chronos I yearn for this day!”

So did I!

That was awesome @Geekhis Khan! So much like the Trek boards of the time.

So Picard assimilated and saved for recurring appearance; Riker Captain? Shelby XO or one if the other mains?

More please!

Last edited:
Needless to say, most of All Star Resort feels like a 50's thing with all the giant novelty items strewn about it.
TBH, I feel like any Disney sports films or TV shows might use the sports park as a filming location.

Okay, NGL, I coulsn't read nor understand the latest post that easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.