Status
Not open for further replies.

kirbopher15

Kicked
Hopefully a decent relationship with Disney might help Eastman and Laird ride the behemoth that the TMNT phenomenon better than OTL. Hopefully Laird sells to Disney this time, if they sell at all.
I actually imagined Sony having the rights to TMNT with a movie directed by either Wes Anderson or Edgar Wright

Is that "written and directed by Terry Jones" the Python chap? That would be one wild movie if it is!

I want Transgenic Teenage Kung-Fu Iguanas toys/comics/movies! Plank! Salvador! Vincent! Pablo! and Warhol! TTKFI forever!
Yes, that Terry Jones. It will be a very wild film for sure.

Wonder if Tundra Publishing founded by Eastman does better.

Also, unless I a mistaken, Jones doing 1996's TMNT sequel will probably butterfly the Wind in the Willows adaptation he created and starred in that year.

Also also, given that Zemeckis also did BTTF3 same year OTL and presumably production took place in 1989 too, what will come of it? Did production overlap?

Last edited:
Is it possible the Mirage books get reprinted via Epic?
I hoping that Star Comics gets OTLs Archie Comic run for TMNT.
This helps Epic survive longer, and might prevent Image forming if the creators have a outlet for their creator owned projects without needing to split to a new company
The real question is even if the Image Comics creators never create Image Comics do they still their independent studios and license theirs characters through Epic Comics?
Hopefully Laird sells to Disney this time, if they sell at all.
If he does it will most likely be through Marvel and not directly to Disney.
The first, 1992’s TMNT 2: The Rise of Krang directed by Kevin Clash, introduced the villainous mutant brain Krang and the popular Rocksteady & Beebop from the cartoon, and was also a hit with audiences
I hope some plot elements of Secret of the Ooze remain in Rise of Krang.
Also, unless I a mistaken, Jones doing 1996's TMNT sequel will probably butterfly the Wind in the Willows adaptation he created and starred in that year.
I do kinda like the concept his Wind in the Willow it was a bit of a box office bomb.
Also also, given that Zemeckis also did BTTF3 same year OTL and presumably production took place in 1989 too, what will come of it? Did production overlap?
Do we even have BTTF3 ITTL?

Since TMBG is signed to Hyperion Music ITTL, I had an idea for the Cramps making an appearance ITTL's Tiny Toon Adventures. More specifically a pair of segments for these two songs:

I want Transgenic Teenage Kung-Fu Iguanas toys/comics/movies! Plank! Salvador! Vincent! Pablo! and Warhol! TTKFI forever!
The Third Turtles movie does indeed sound the very best of them. It is also nice to see Terry Jones getting a chance to do some bigger budget directing, while he has done well things never quite clicked for him in OTL. Take the '96 Wind in the Willows; the production went well, he managed to do something a bit different with the story while still keeping it a kids film and it got excellent reviews. BUT there was a complete catastrophe around release and distribution, so it made a huge loss. Not his fault, but still counted against him for future non-Python projects.

If he as a few mainstream success on his hands then he might get more opportunities, maybe even the big medieval epic which I believe he always wanted to do. It's even the right sort of time, early 2000s is Gladiator, Knights Tale, Kingdom of Heaven and so on. Perfect time to pitch that sort of movie.

Puppy Love
Interview with Benji and Lassie
Disney News Flash, April 4th, 1990

sleeping-beauty-castle-exterior-16x9.jpg

(Image source “disneyland.disney.go.com”)

Exterior – Disneyland Castle
The Theme Music plays. JOE CAMP sits in a director’s chair, holding BENJI while animal handlers stand by. ROWLF THE DOG (Jim Henson and an uncredited Muppet Intern) stands in the foreground holding a microphone.

1624791838543.png
1624791857336.png

Rowlf and Joe Camp with Benji (Image source “muppets.fandom.com” & “Benji.fandom.com”)

Rowlf
HI-ho, everybody, this is Rowlf the Dog coming to you live…ish from Walt Disneyland in beautiful Anaheim, California. And have I got a treat for you (points at camera). With me today is a great and famous star, a legend in the motion picture business with a career spanning decades. I’m talking, of course, about Benji, co-star of the new Disney film hitting theaters this weekend. What do you have to say, Benji?​

ROWLF holds the microphone up to Benji, who sniffs at it. JOE laughs.

Rowlf
Not, much to say, I guess. What about you, sir…who are you again? (holds microphone up to JOE)

Joe
(laughs) Oh, I’m just Joe Camp, Benji’s old friend.

Rowlf
Wait! (holds hand to ear) I am getting word that you are in fact the director of all of the Benji movies, including this weekend’s new release, Benji and La…oh, um (takes a moment to compose himself) …Benji and Lassie (voice cracks slightly while saying “Lassie”)

Joe
Yes, thank you, Rowlf. Benji and I have a long history together, and this time we had the honor of working with another film legend, the great Lassie[1]. You and Lassie were old friends, weren’t you, Rowlf?

Rowlf
(looking around, nervously) Oh, um, yea, um. (looks directly at JOE) It’s complicated[2]. Let’s just talk about the movie, yea?

Joe
(laughs) Certainly, Rowlf. Benji and Lassie is an exciting new film for families to enjoy together, starring Michael Landon, his sons Mark and Michael Jr., and daughters Leslie and Jennifer as the Miller Family with Jonathan Taylor Thomas as Billy[3]. It involves Benji and Lassie, naturally, meeting and forming a deep friendship. (ROWLF visibly cringes and bites his nails as JOE talks, particularly whenever he says “Lassie”) Well, Billy and Lassie meet with Benji, who helps them rescue the Miller family, who has been trapped by a flood and…are you ok, Rowlf?

Rowlf
(looking around, nervously) Oh, um, yea! Never better! Is, um…Lassie going to be here?

Joe
Sure! In fact, why don’t we call her up? (signals to a HANDLER)

Rowlf
Wait, what?! Erm, sure (quietly to self) You can handle this, Rowlf. (licks his palm and starts to straighten his hair)​

LASSIE walks up with a HANDLER and jumps up on a chair. ROWLF is visibly nervous.

8204.Rowlf_2D00_2.jpg

Jimmy Dean, Rowlf, and Lassie from The Jimmy Dean Show (Image source “jimmhillmedia.com”)

Rowlf
Oh, um, hi, Lassie. It’s been a long time, hasn’t it?​

LASSIE sits and pants while ROWLF looks nervous.

Rowlf
You look good. Really…still…look good. (beat) Is there anything you’d like to say to the folks at home?​

ROWLF holds up the microphone to LASSIE, who barks twice.

Rowlf
Why did I know you’d say that? Look, it was a long time ago, you know?​

LASSIE barks again.

Rowlf
Yes, I know. It’s been hard for me too. Don’t give me that look!​

LASSIE barks again.

Rowlf
Oh, and let me guess, you’re with him now? (points to BENJI, who looks confused)​

LASSIE barks.

Rowlf
(looks askance) “Just a friend and co-star,” eh?

Joe
(laughing again) You two did make a cute couple!

Rowlf
Please stay out of this, Joe.​

JOE laughs. LASSIE barks softly and whimpers, sets her head down on the arm rest.

Rowlf
(puts hand on face) Oh, Lassie, baby, you always kill me with that look.​

LASSIE lifts her head and tilts it inquisitively.

Rowlf
Yea, I know. Look, I’m sorry. It was just, you know, getting…well…you know how the demands of stardom are. You were in Hollywood; I was in London…look, I don’t want to talk about it now. I’m here to do an interview.​

LASSIE barks.

Rowlf
(sighs) Fine, be that way. (beat) Joe, you’re the director, anything you’d like to say about the movie?

Joe
(laughing) Well, yes, I’d like to thank Disney for giving me the opportunity to work with a star of Lassie’s caliber. Benji and I certainly enjoyed it. It was a fun and memorable shoot and it’s, I feel, a fun and memorable family film and a chance to introduce a whole new generation to Lassie’s talents.

Rowlf
(whispers) Can we not talk about Lassie?[4]

Joe
(laughing) Sure, let me take this opportunity to thank some of the Disney team who helped bring this film to the big screen, from producer Roy Disney to executive producer Jim Henson. Hey, you know Mr. Henson, right, Rowlf?

Rowlf
Um yea, you can say he’s had a hand or two in making me the dog that I am today!​

JOE laughs, the music starts playing.

Rowlf
Oh! And I guess that we’re out of time! I’d like to thank Joe Camp and Benji, whose latest movie, Benji and…and Lassie comes out this weekend![5]​

LASSIE barks.

Rowlf
Yes, thank you too, Lassie! (steps aside to Lassie) Look, you know that I still care a lot about…​

Audio fades out as music gets louder. Title card posts.

[1] Recall that Disney claimed the rights to Lassie as a part of the Wrather purchase.

[2] “And they called it Puppy Looovve!!”

[3] Wholesome enough for ya? It will be Michael Landon’s last film appearance in this timeline.

[4] While Rowlf will officially remain “straight” at least until the 2010s, Rowlf will unintentionally become a queer icon in the 1990s when, during an appearance on The Late Show with David Letterman, Dave asks him about Lassie and then mentions, “hey, isn’t Lassie actually played by a boy? A male dog?” Henson, caught off guard and totally ad-libbing, replies “Hey, don’t judge me!” Facing some minor backlash from family groups, Ron Miller will officially put some limitations on Muppet appearances on late night TV after that.

[5] Will be filmed on location around California and, with the Landon’s and JTT not commanding huge salaries, be made for under $10 million total. It will make about $32 million as a modest family film.

While Rowlf will officially remain “straight” at least until the 2010s, Rowlf will unintentionally become a queer icon in the 1990s when, during an appearance on The Late Show with David Letterman, Dave asks him about Lassie and then mentions, “hey, isn’t Lassie actually played by a boy? A male dog?” Henson, caught off guard and totally ad-libbing, replies “Hey, don’t judge me!” Facing some minor backlash from family groups, Ron Miller will officially put some limitations on Muppet appearances on late night TV after that.
I find the idea amusing that Lassie might actually be jokingly identified as transgender, rather than Rowlf coming out as queer.

I see Lassie more as a drag queen.
What about Miss Piggy as a drag queen? She's played by a male(Frank Oz), can beat people up faster than you can say "bacon", and is able to threaten Statler and Waldorf into submission.

Of course, the implications of Kermit the Frog being in love with a drag queen would have to wait for the discussions until the new millennium.

What about Miss Piggy as a drag queen? She's played by a male(Frank Oz), can beat people up faster than you can say "bacon", and is able to threaten Statler and Waldorf into submission.

Of course, the implications of Kermit the Frog being in love with a drag queen would have to wait for the discussions until the new millennium.
....Now I want John Waters to direct a Muppet film ITTL.

God. RWBY as a series on Disney Plus...
I don't know if Monty Oum or Rooster Teeth would be that enthusiastic being part of Disney (who would be content producing their own shows independently unless they're bought out), but we'll see on how much Disney actually wants their IPs (I have my doubts since Disney could realistically make their own RWBY if they wanted to for Disney Direct).

Wow, this has been one of the most amusing interviews so far ITTL. The fact that Disney-MGM gets to make Benji and Lassie is really poetic, considering MGM was the one who made the first Lassie movie, right?

Also I have no doubts that Benji and Lassie will be wholesome as hell. Probably not a film that I would've been enthusiastic to watch but if I watched it on some kind of VCD or VHS at my relative's house then I would've at least liked it.

[4] While Rowlf will officially remain “straight” at least until the 2010s, Rowlf will unintentionally become a queer icon in the 1990s when, during an appearance on The Late Show with David Letterman, Dave asks him about Lassie and then mentions, “hey, isn’t Lassie actually played by a boy? A male dog?” Henson, caught off guard and totally ad-libbing, replies “Hey, don’t judge me!” Facing some minor backlash from family groups, Ron Miller will officially put some limitations on Muppet appearances on late night TV after that.
Well, after reading about the Lassie article on Muppet Wiki and Jim Henson's quote about them using male dogs for the female Lassie character, I guess it was bound to happen eventually, especially if the ITTL 90s put queer issues into a greater spotlight.

It'd be hilarious if Rowlf is the unofficial icon of Gay Days in Disneyland/WDW after his ad-lib in the 1990s. Guess he's considered to be bisexual or just "not straight" by the 2010s.

rowlf-the-muppets-feat-1-780x440-1440438434.png

(Image Source: D23)
Rowlf as the queer Muppets icon? I'm okay with that.

I don't think Jim or Disney will radically change anything else about the main Muppets cast, since they're still associated with a family-friendly demographic and the effects that Rowlf's accidental "coming out" had on their image. New LGBTQ muppets are fair game though, as would cameos of LGBTQ celebrities (HOLY CRAP I FORGOT FREDDIE MERCURY COULD APPEAR WITH THE MUPPETS).

Now I want John Waters to direct a Muppet film ITTL.
Same. The resulting product would be utter insanity, but I love that, and it's what the Muppets thrives on.

In terms of the gay celebrities thing, is it odd that I had the same first thought as @Denliner. That is Freddie Mercury on a Muppets show.
I can see it now...

Miss Piggy: Are you of any need for a backup singer, Mr. Mercury? Perhaps moi, even?

Freddie Mercury: I'm afraid I don't go for girls. Not to mention my band is packed as is.

Piggy: Well, what kind of a band is yours if it doesn't even have a Queen?

Scooter: A
drag queen, that is. (snickers)

Piggy: Cut it, paperboy!

Does Henson now have the rights to the Lone Ranger character (since Wrather owned it in OTL)?

A shame he couldn't have gotten them before Legend of the Lone Ranger came out in 1981; Henson wouldn't have sued Clayton Moore to stop making appearances as the Lone Ranger (which really pissed off the Lone Ranger fanbase, and was a major factor in why the film flopped--casting Klinton Spilsbury as the Lone Ranger didn't help, either)...

Status
Not open for further replies.